What makes the 300 Win. better than the 300 WSM

PDA

TexasEd
February 28, 2009, 11:11 AM
Looking at the two and looking for advise.

If you enjoyed reading about "What makes the 300 Win. better than the 300 WSM" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Horsemany
February 28, 2009, 11:30 AM
Cheaper ammo. Slightly faster. Bigger is better ego boost.

jerkface11
February 28, 2009, 11:40 AM
300 win mag will shoot a heavier bullet. I see no point in a 300 magnum that won't shoot 220 grain bullets.

Bigfoot
February 28, 2009, 02:14 PM
The WSMs capacity is about halfway between the 30-06 and the 300 WM, higher loading pressure brings it CLOSE to factory Win Mag performance. Factory WSM ammo is loaded a bit hot, fine for really large game but I don't see any reason to reload to that velocity although others will. The WM can always be loaded faster than the WSM due to it's capacity.

I look at the short action 300WSM as a light rifle with 300 Savage to 06 +P performance depending on the load. If someone feels the need for a bit more power and recoil factory ammo will do that.

A 300WM would be better for a longer distance gun for the reasons the other posters stated. Long range is all about long, high BC bullets and the WM has more magazine room and powder capacity to drive those.

This is all nit-picking rifle gack as a long action isn't all that much heavier than the SA, and the 300WSM will do long distance shooting just fine. I chose the WSM for my needs.

NCsmitty
February 28, 2009, 02:21 PM
You can get 1 more Win Mag in the magazine compared to WSM as a rule.

NCsmitty

SlamFire1
February 28, 2009, 03:21 PM
300 Win Mag ammo is easier to find than 300 WSM.

I have also heard that WSSM is very hard to find.

ArmedBear
February 28, 2009, 08:02 PM
This isn't a reason why it is better, necessarily, but it's food for thought.

The .300 WSM sounds pretty cool, near-.300 Win Mag performance in a .308-length action.

There's a problem with that, though. The WSMs work better in longer barrels, so even a "compact" .300 WSM like a Remington Model 7 has a 22" barrel, and even that's not enough to get to published velocity. The 7 CDL in .308 weighs 6 1/2 lbs. and is 39 1/2" long, whereas the .300 WSM weighs 7 3/8 lbs. and is 41 1/2" long.

So you get a short bolt throw, but you don't really get the benefits in terms of length and weight that a .308-length action ordinarily offers over a .30-06-length action.

I wouldn't call the Model 7 in .300 WSM a compact rifle. 7 1/2 lbs. is pretty much your average regular full-size hunting rifle. And a hot-loaded .30-06 (from a load book, or from Hornady in a box) in a regular 24" barrel will attain velocities similar to regular factory 300 WSM, which is already loaded hot, in a 22" barrel. And if you move up to a 24" or 26" barrel, you get essentially no benefit in terms of rifle size or weight vs. a .30-06 or .300 WinMag. You just get less magazine capacity.

None of this makes the .300 WSM bad mind you, it just makes it nothing all that whiz-bang special. It sure sounded good when they first announced it. .300 WinMag performance from a rifle that's just like your .308 compact -- that does sound pretty cool. The problem is, it's not true, when you look at the whole picture.

In my book, I think I'd want something that really offers a lot, to pull me away from standard rounds (like .30-06, .300 Win Mag) that are easy to find, easy to load, etc.

But again, that doesn't make the .300 WSM bad. It just makes it something I don't currently own, and don't plan to purchase.

If you enjoyed reading about "What makes the 300 Win. better than the 300 WSM" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!