Kindof wierd marks...

PDA

Iansstud
February 28, 2009, 11:44 AM
Hey guys, So I've got a Sps Tactical in 308 and I have put about oh, 69 rds down the tube so far... I got looking at my brass, as i plan to reload. and all of it looks great, all but my 168 SMK... It looks like ejector pin is making marks. It only does it on the Federal 168 Smk. I dont have any marks on any other shells. and to make it wierder (for me anyways) only the last box of 20 has it, the 1st box of smk's look normal.

anyways maby its ok, I would like to know what you guys think.. Thanks
http://qvphia.blu.livefilestore.com/y1pOyGD3sIl5QVpceJq210GR9PvDvPAahyhyVguMt-Y9lTusdE0Vl_D9-HN-vdAkA6SDCPpI14IrQSmdFl4fY8hEQ/DSCF0445.JPG
http://qvphia.blu.livefilestore.com/y1pCaQJbdlap1qshAmIpizGwh-g-fltzL926sr2klFy3fvnRcEQMsVmRT6Hkrj-4w9en_Zkb8dvhjxubEwQGpUMZQ/DSCF0448.JPG
http://qvphia.blu.livefilestore.com/y1pAajs7o5uQI_Xms9zln8nUn0IxRPybmsUl699Jx57RvJ6p7twcVpGVYc9EO7V4_KQzvAl-_2fLtHTNXiIQKVK5g/DSCF0451.JPG

If you enjoyed reading about "Kindof wierd marks..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
NCsmitty
February 28, 2009, 12:13 PM
Unless I miss my guess, that is a definite sign of higher than normal pressure. The brass is extruding into the ejector hole from high pressure.
Perhaps the leade to the rifling is short or the bullets are not seated at the correct COAL, and you're engraving the bullet into the rifling, causing the high pressure situation.
That usually happens after 65,000-70,000 PSI in normal brass.

NCsmitty

TMM
February 28, 2009, 12:13 PM
maybe shooting the first box got some crud on the boltface, and deposited it on the heads of the second box of ammo...? and maybe the ejector pushed/smeared the fouling in that one spot, making it visible.

did you try wiping/scrubbing it off?

TMM

(or, maybe soft brass...?)

Iansstud
February 28, 2009, 12:20 PM
I clean my gun every time I shoot, I make sure to get as much as i can of the brass and 100% of the powder fouling. I only shoot 3-12rds at a time.

I pull the bolt and clean it good, and check the lugs, I also use Q-tips to clean the ways, and where the lugs lock at.

I have seen this befor on the interweb with the same rifle and Cal. they sent it into remington.

So, Im thinking its one of two things.... One, Hot loads from Federal, Or Two, Headspaceing? or something with the rifle....

How do I go about asking Remington a question? I have logged on to the help section, and can only search for my questions and do not see a question input button.... maby Im lost, I would like a Simple Email address! It must be top seceret!

Thanks guys...

theotherwaldo
February 28, 2009, 12:29 PM
Looks like excessive pressure to me. Have you fired anything beside Federals after the high pressure loads? Did the brass have the same indicators of high pressure?

It might be that you should just avoid Federal 168 SMK ammo in that rifle.

Iansstud
February 28, 2009, 12:36 PM
I have fired Win super X and Rem UMC 3 of each, and after the SMK's, no indications. they look normal, SMK's only look like that

Iansstud
February 28, 2009, 12:39 PM
does Remington have a Email address?

NCsmitty
February 28, 2009, 01:11 PM
This a contact site for Remington.

http://remington.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/remington.cfg/php/enduser/std_alp.php?p_sid=*Qe9*Crj
I think I got it right.

NCsmitty

plinky
February 28, 2009, 01:23 PM
Could just be soft brass. Federal Match is known for this. Were your two boxes of Fed SMK from the same lot?

I would consider that an early sign of high pressure (seen in many handloads) but if it's the only sign, it would not worry me. If that were a handload, I'd say back off a half grain. This would be to increase brass life. If brass life is not a factor, I'd say just keep an eye out for any other pressure signs.

I don't know how Remington would deal with the rifle but they might cut the throat out longer to decrease pressure. That would not appeal to me.

NCsmitty
February 28, 2009, 01:37 PM
Yes, as plinky mentioned, I don't think it's a Remington problem directly. It's an ammo problem.

If you have any SMK's left, run one into the chamber then remove and check for rifling marks on the bullet. That could explain the pressure spike.

NCsmitty

Runningman
February 28, 2009, 03:01 PM
Looks like typical overly soft brass from Federal to me.

rcmodel
February 28, 2009, 03:07 PM
Or Two, Headspaceing? or something with the rifle....Excess headspace will not cause it. Don't even bother Remington with that question.

Soft brass, or high pressure loads are the only two things that can extrude a case into the ejector pin hole.

But since the primers are not blowing or excessively flattening due to excess pressure, I'd vote for soft brass.

rc

rovieairto
February 28, 2009, 03:23 PM
What rcmodel said.
There is some cratering going on with the primers.
Basically pressure is exceeding the mechanical properties of the case.

Iansstud
February 28, 2009, 05:45 PM
This a contact site for Remington.

http://remington.custhelp.com/cgi-bi...p_sid=*Qe9*Crj
I think I got it right.

NCsmitty

I get to the page, Log on, then all i can do is search FAQ's... and see my asked questions... am I that much of a tool and cant find the submit button, or is it missing?

Horsemany
February 28, 2009, 06:02 PM
I'd agree on the soft brass. The primers look good. It's not all that uncommon. Some of my 700's will do that to varying degrees.

Iansstud
February 28, 2009, 06:33 PM
I'd agree on the soft brass. The primers look good. It's not all that uncommon. Some of my 700's will do that to varying degrees.

Thanks, I wont worry about it then, unless it gets worse. like I said, Its only with the 168 SMK's that is the biggest gr I have shot yet, the 150gr all look clean. I almost think they shoot better than the SMK's. I might try the 155 scenars and 175 SMK's someday.

the foot
February 28, 2009, 09:07 PM
Sounds like your problem is with only one brand. Stay away from the Federal brass.

Horsemany
February 28, 2009, 09:15 PM
One other thing Iansstud. Make sure your chamber is dry. Any oil in the chamber will increase bolt thrust. The brass cannot grab the chamber walls upon expansion of firing. This increases how hard the back of the case presses against the bolt face.

Iansstud
March 4, 2009, 06:28 PM
One other thing Iansstud. Make sure your chamber is dry. Any oil in the chamber will increase bolt thrust. The brass cannot grab the chamber walls upon expansion of firing. This increases how hard the back of the case presses against the bolt face.

Good to know, I will double check next time... but I think its soft brass... the last time I've shot with it, it has been after other ammo

If you enjoyed reading about "Kindof wierd marks..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!