Winchester model 70 Mannlicher

PDA

Skeetshooter
February 28, 2009, 12:50 PM
Hello everyone:

I'm a new member, and would like some info about the authenticity of my model 70 Mannlicher. Anyone have any suggestions? Thank's!

If you enjoyed reading about "Winchester model 70 Mannlicher" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
iflya310
September 10, 2009, 01:20 AM
2401 were made from 68 until 71 as a "production rifle".
I have found no consecutive serial numbered receivers among any Mannlicher Style M70s. I understand the receivers were hand selected, individually hand assembled, then fitted and stocked with higher quality hand workmanship and finish.
The barrel length is 19" --- ONLY!. They were chambered in the four calibers --- ONLY.
The stock is distinguishable from custom stocks now available and called "Original".
They did not have a barrel band. They did not have an Ebony fore end tip.
Sling swivels and sights were not installed, but were included in the box along with typed instructions for installing the sights.
I will not comment on the available after market mannlicher stocks advertised as originals. By definition, only those stocks put on the rifles by the factory at the time of production are original.
Most conversions have differences i.e.: "Carbine" marked on the barrel, replaced barrels, re-blued metal, odd barrel lengths or contours, unmarked bolts, poor checkering, poor wood/metal fit, exceptionally good wood and etc.. Most of the aftermarket mannlichers I have seen are of exceptional quality and value, but not original.
Many of the original rifles were sold in Overseas and Canadian markets including Italy, Australia and Canada. The numbers are not exact but it is estimated only about half remain in America. Those remaining in America may represent the smallest group of any singular production run Winchester rifle. They are extremely rare.

Please note: As in any industry, "variants happen". The comments above are "my observations" based on forty years of gathering these rifles and information about them. I don't profess to know it all, just a lot! If you have additional thoughts, please contact me. All information is welcome.
The information I have about the quantity made varies by the source.
One source, The Riflemans Rifle. By Roger C. Rule (1982 Alliance Books, Inc, - I am not sure how to post the proper credits.) suggests the numbers are:
Total = 2401
318 in .308 Winchester,
396 in .243,
436 in .270 and
1251 in 30-06.

The second source:
The numbers are:
Total = 2401
217 in .308
400 in .243
580 in .270 and
1204 in 30-06.

No matter which set of numbers you use, the .308 is the rarest. If, in fact, half of the production of the .308s, (the most popular in overseas markets) were sent out of the country, only 108 remain in the United States.

Compare these to other Winchester production quantities. Winchester made millions of firearms, many production runs exceeded 100,000 or 1,000,000. Limited production, "One of One Thousand", or commemorative models at 5,000+. These Mannlicher Style Model 70s were not intended to be "limited production" when manufacturing began.

iflya310
September 10, 2009, 01:23 AM
i have a nib weatherby d'Orion o/u NRA 12g 3", all the bells and whistles... want to do some trade'n? iflya310@yahoo.com

peyton
September 10, 2009, 02:51 AM
It does not exist with out pictures!!!

Mr_Pale_Horse
September 10, 2009, 02:11 PM
My reference (Gun Trader's Guide, 13th Edition) lists them as "made" from 1969 to 1971. Calibers as listed above. No exact numbers. Relative value ~2/3 higher than a M70 standard from the same period.

Appearance: Monte Carlo stock, straight grained walnut, white line space under butt plate, checkered grip and forend, no sights, 19" bbl.

If you enjoyed reading about "Winchester model 70 Mannlicher" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!