Gun-Owner (nut) Stereotypes Throughout History and the World.

PDA

B yond
February 28, 2009, 01:35 PM
Just for fun; paint me a picture. What do we look like to the anti-gun crowd. The more ridiculous the stereotype the better.

I'm carrying two SA revolvers wearing two banodiers of rifle ammo on my chest, and swinging a bottle of tequila in one hand while lighting a cigar with the fuse from a stick of dynamite. :rolleyes:

If you enjoyed reading about "Gun-Owner (nut) Stereotypes Throughout History and the World." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Jorg Nysgerrig
February 28, 2009, 01:42 PM
How does playing to stereotypes help advance the mission of The High Road to promote responsible firearms use and project the image that gun owners are just regular folks?

scottgun
February 28, 2009, 01:43 PM
Self-deprecation is so 1990s.

B yond
February 28, 2009, 02:54 PM
How does playing to stereotypes help advance the mission of The High Road to promote responsible firearms use and project the image that gun owners are just regular folks?

I was just trying to have fun, BUT...

maybe by exaggerating the stereotypes just a bit we can illustrate how ridiculous they are in the first place.

If this isn't appropriate fro THR go ahead and lock the thread, I won't be offended.

MagnumDweeb
February 28, 2009, 07:46 PM
I appreciate your intent, I'm hoping you meant it as, "well let's find out how they see us so maybe we can overcome that image."

Depends on where you are from really. I get told on a regular basis (once every two weeks or so "you look like someone in the military or prison"). I'm a clean cut, buzzed head, law-school student, powerlifting, political moderate, but the second I say I own guns or am an NRA instructor, it's gotten to be where folks ask questions or they move away from me, thankfully more people ask questions than move away.

I always try to smile, even when I'm insulting someone or someone is pissing me off(granted I've been told I get scarey when I smile when I'm getting angry).

Always work to speak with a grasp on elocution, be well educated on history and empirical evidence(always mention "well the FBI has seen or shown, or has said etc. etc. etc.), and never get agitated when explaining to an idiot that they are an idiot.

Oh some people say I look like a short(5'9"), chubby (size 38 waist, 26" muscled biceps), Jewish Vinn Diesel so I'm already at a loss. And yes my mother is Jewish and one my idiot friends always makes a point of pointing that out when ever I talk about stock buys, history, general intelligent conversation, and or have shown someone who's mouthing off about how much money they have a copy of my checking account, and then that leads to them asking if I'm a gun guy because I'm Jewish when I'm gun guy because my family is gun people.

It's better to work to paint Antis in broad, misconceived, inappropriate stereotypes, there is a whole long list of descriptions I use for them that are not THR appropriate and as so I won't mention them. Most antis don't like it when I ask if they've been gang raped in prison...it just seems like a natural course of events is all.

Hungry Seagull
February 28, 2009, 08:00 PM
Please, let's not appearances slobber all over ourselves and allow us to soil ourselves trying to wipe off what is already being smeared onto the gunowners.

We lead a life for better or worse. I choose not to end it on my knees in front of a BG. That should be a better picture than the prision scenario.

Duke of Doubt
February 28, 2009, 08:10 PM
I got hooted off a gun forum last year when I explained how I legally may (and sometimes do) carry a Kalashnikov, concealed, for fun and for profit. I had thought I was among friends, and yet they start talking about how they'd shoot me if they saw me carrying my AK, concealed. Wild. I concluded that I was not among the class of gun nuts I had assumed. I guess that makes me a caricature.

Walkalong
February 28, 2009, 09:23 PM
I can't see this going far. :scrutiny:

Cannonball888
February 28, 2009, 09:24 PM
I had thought I was among friends, and yet they start talking about how they'd shoot me if they saw me carrying my AK, concealed.
How could they see you carrying concealed? You mean if they "made" you? I've actually done it with an underfolder but I was going hunting with it and was crossing a public road and didn't want any passerbys to be alarmed. BTW, concealing a longarm in FL is legal with a CWP. So, to remain on topic: OP, that's my picture. Me in camos concealing an underfolder AK, if that works for you.

Hungry Seagull
February 28, 2009, 09:34 PM
For the sake of the Topic, I refer you to an old movie called Police Academy where Tackleberry fires a UA at the Police range sending target to neverland.... the Captian has a issue with it.

Sterotypes.. indeed.

kirkcdl
March 1, 2009, 09:38 AM
I'd rather light the dynamite with the cigar than the other way around...takes too long to light a good cigar....

KarenTOC
March 1, 2009, 10:53 AM
I buy my ammo at Walmart. It never fails. When they ask what I need, I always get raised eyebrows and a surprised look. I guess fluffy, grey-haired old ladies don't fit their pre-conceived notions of gun owners :)

chuckusaret
March 1, 2009, 11:00 AM
What does a pro gun person look like. Do I look pro gun? I am 5'10" 170 lbs, 34" waist, 71 years old, an elected city official and retired from three different careers. I would hope all pro gun people are like me, just plain old Americans who believe in their constitutional rights as an American and will fight for those rights. This is just one of the many rights that Obamanation is trying to take away from us. I am a gun person and CC 99% of the time.

LibShooter
March 1, 2009, 11:46 AM
I'm a middle-aged bald guy, a little thick in the middle. My beard usually needs to be trimmed. Tucked into my hemp wallet is a handgun carry permit. In the pocket of my all natural fabric hiking pants you'll usually find a S&W snubbie.

On my tiny eco-friendly car parked at the range is a triple layer of Gore, Kerry, Obama bumper stickers. I'm inside shooting my pistols, rifles and shotguns.

distra
March 1, 2009, 11:59 AM
I'll bite, let's see, highly educated professional with kids driving a Honda (gas was >$4 remember?) heading to a skeet match or club pistol match. That about sums up the stereotype.

On my tiny eco-friendly car parked at the range is a triple layer of Gore, Kerry, Obama bumper stickers. I'm inside shooting my pistols, rifles and shotguns.

Not for long you won't! :evil: Thanks, we needed the "change". :rolleyes:

pmeisel
March 1, 2009, 12:10 PM
I buy my ammo at Walmart. It never fails. When they ask what I need, I always get raised eyebrows and a surprised look. I guess fluffy, grey-haired old ladies don't fit their pre-conceived notions of gun owners

But do they call you "Bubba"?

B yond
March 1, 2009, 01:40 PM
http://www.geocities.com/gunversation/article/cartoon_small.jpg

B yond
March 1, 2009, 01:58 PM
While I was really just trying to have fun with this thread, I've been thinking (scary, huh?) that we really can use these ridiculous gun nut stereotypes to illustrate how off-base the anti-gun crowd's ideas and imagery of us can be.

They use these stereotypes to convince others to take their point of view, to poke fun at us (I consider myself a gun nut, and I don't think that's a bad thing), and to belittle us. Maybe we can take that away from them.

Hungry Seagull
March 1, 2009, 01:58 PM
Or how about a run down scruffy, underweight and poor hygenic southerner with a truck that barely runs and missing non-critical parts all over either due to rust or neglect? There would be a pile of guns mixed with the rusting and greasy tools and wires behind the bench seat.

Just to get to this person's house you have to navigate a junkyard and then listen for the weapons to be put up or down or de-cocked before being allowed inside. First they want to kill you, next they serve coffee and offer a meal. Enough to make one lose it sometimes.

Duke of Doubt
March 1, 2009, 02:31 PM
When the first word out of your friend's mouth on entering your den for the first time is "HO-OLY ..... ", you just MIGHT be a stereotypical gun nut. ;)

Hungry Seagull
March 1, 2009, 02:35 PM
Mayne Ive slid down the abyss already.

Yesterday:

Spouse: What is that on your wall by the computer?

Me: "Handgun target print out for reference to markmanship PDF."

Spouse: "Great!"

Anyone else: "OMG.. what"

True gun owners will instantly see what they are looking at and hopefully be .... comfortable.

Yeap, Ive lost it long ago LOL.

malamuteman1
March 1, 2009, 02:39 PM

I am just a regular guy with a regular job,with grandchildren and bills and a dog and two cats. Its my wife that is not the normal one !:cuss:

B yond
March 1, 2009, 03:22 PM

It's not about playing to the stereotypes, it's about illustrating how ridiculous and often hilarious they are.

http://www.vicelounge.com/2010/images/stories/monkey-gun6.png

If you enjoyed reading about "Gun-Owner (nut) Stereotypes Throughout History and the World." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!