45acp headstamp importance

PDA

Mxracer239y
February 28, 2009, 03:09 PM
I am new to reloading, and have been gathering supplies/reading as much as I can. In reading 'The ABC's of Reloading,' I have gotten the impression that brass should be sorted, tested, and loaded according to manufacturer. While I can understand this for longer cases with some curvature to them (varying thicknesses, etc), I cannot picture the brand of 45acp brass being very important.

Please share- do you sort and load according to headstamp or load all the same in a pistol cartridge like this?

TIA

If you enjoyed reading about "45acp headstamp importance" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Dean Williams
February 28, 2009, 03:24 PM
I confess, for 45 ACP I do sort brass, but it's not because of any load differences that are weighing on my mind. I just do it because I like seeing the same face in a box of ammo.

If you are loading safely below a maximum charge, it's really not necessary. If you are loading up to max, sorting is a good idea, and the max load should be worked up for cases of all one head stamp, and very close case weights.

When I shot bullseye competition, I practiced almost every day, and loaded great gobs of mid-range 38 Spl ammo. I never sorted cases for that. Didn't have time and was not needed.

The Bushmaster
February 28, 2009, 04:56 PM
I'm with Dean. I like uniformaty. Must be all that military training...

tlen
February 28, 2009, 05:04 PM
I don't sort .45 ACP nor does anyone I shoot with. We all use range brass and load moderate loads, irrespective of head stamp, for Action Pistol. If you were loading +P maybe it would make a difference. We don't worry about case length or trimming either. Being a low pressure case, .45 ACP is very forgiving and generally one looses the case before they wear out.

putteral
February 28, 2009, 05:18 PM
I also agree with tlen. Very rarely do I sort .45 brass. For target shooting I have not found a need to.

Walkalong
February 28, 2009, 06:27 PM
I am fairly anal and picky, but I do not sort my .45 ACP by headstamp, even though I have enough to sort large lots of the same headstamp. I just load it and shoot it.

The Bushmaster and I do agree on trimming revolver brass, despite many who do not trim them, but I do not trim auto brass, and he does.

The Bushmaster has me beat in the picky dept. :D

Peter M. Eick
February 28, 2009, 09:20 PM
My arguement on this is simple. Just try it. Shoot some mixed ammo. Say a full box of 50 on a single target. Then shoot another target with 50 sorted of the same type.

If you don't see a difference, then what the hey. Don't sort it.

I sort because I definately saw a difference with my Baer PII and my Pre-25.

Cloudpeak
February 28, 2009, 09:23 PM
I don't sort 45's but I do cull "Amerc" brass.

Cloudpeak

dave from mesa
February 28, 2009, 09:52 PM
+1 with Cloudpeak

The Bushmaster
February 28, 2009, 11:19 PM
HEY!! I only trim .45 ACP. My Colt 1911 seems to prefer .890" to .892"...

Jumping Frog
February 28, 2009, 11:30 PM
Some .45 ACP "lead-free" ammo uses small pistol primers instead of large. That is the only sorting I worry about, as trying to force a large primer into a small pocket can create a loud noise.

If you enjoyed reading about "45acp headstamp importance" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!