Missing Safety on AMT GOVERNMENT 45

PDA

TestedToBreaking
February 28, 2009, 07:29 PM
Hello,

I know that I'm going to sound rather incompetent here and I apologize in advance for this, but I recently inherited an AMT GOVERNMENT 45 and have a serious concern with it. The gun, from what I've found, is a stainless steel clone of the COLT 1911. The gun works well, but it does not have a safety. There is simply a hole on the left hand side near the hammer where it should be. This obviously seems rather dangerous and I would like to address this issue. I was considering purchasing a manual on the gun and trying to find the parts, but I believe that a competent gunsmith might be the better choice if this is a difficult issue to deal with. Can anyone give me a heads up on that? I feel like that if I'm going to own the gun, then I should know how to work on it and use it effectively, but I also don't want to do anything that would endanger myself or others. How expensive a fix would you estimate this to be? If done by myself or a professional... And does anyone know if the components are the same here as on a COLT 1911? And where would the best place to purchase said parts be?

Thank you in advance for any help that you might be on these points. I openly admit that I have limited knowledge about handguns, although my father did take me out to shoot this gun quite a bit when I was younger and it has some nostalgic value to me.

If you enjoyed reading about "Missing Safety on AMT GOVERNMENT 45" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
MICHAEL T
February 28, 2009, 11:56 PM
Can buy parts from Brownells and any good gunsmith can in stall in a hour or less . In ther words I wouldn't leave to pick up weeks later . You could do it your self if you took time to research it, Sometimes will drop right in others might take some fitting I would not shoot it with out the safety installed

gb6491
March 1, 2009, 01:10 AM
...I would not shoot it with out the safety installed
That's good advice.
...but it does not have a safety. There is simply a hole on the left hand side near the hammer where it should be.
I imagine the safety plunger, spring, and slide stop plunger are missing as well.
http://gunbuilders.info/index.php?page=diagram
Regards,
Greg

Zach S
March 1, 2009, 05:52 AM
Yeah, I would imagine it needs a plunger spring as well.

Try a local gunshop for a safety. STI makes a single side safety that you can get for about $25 or so. Ambis are about $45. That's the lowest price I've found. They look and feel a lot like the ones that Chip McCormick made (I think CMC is just doing mags now).

For something as simple as a thumb safety, most 'smiths dont charge a lot to install them. Sometimes, if you buy it from them, they install it for free.

Mainsail
March 1, 2009, 10:28 AM
That's what my AMT Longslide looked like after it fired with the thumb safety engaged. The slide sheared it off and left the hole. Make sure you have a good gunsmith go through it thoroughly.

mainmech48
March 1, 2009, 10:55 AM
Your AMT is basically a 1911 copy and you should be able to use whichever sort of aftermarket replacement for your missing thumb safety you choose. Personally, I'd think about fitting a different hammer and grip safety too, as the original-style 1911 wide-spur hammer and 1911A-1 long tang grip safety on the one I had many years ago 'bit' the web of my hand badly.

As prices, skills and backlogs vary greatly I'd suggest contacting several licensed pistolsmiths in your area for a better idea of actual costs. The "Gunsmith Locator" feature on the Midway USA website might help you get started.

If you enjoyed reading about "Missing Safety on AMT GOVERNMENT 45" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!