Painting Guns

PDA

Rat Robb
February 28, 2009, 07:36 PM
What are steps to paint a gun?

Recently purchased a Remington 870 Tactical and want to do a digital urban camo paint job on her.

Prep, paint and any other procedures would be awesome.

Thanks

-Robb

If you enjoyed reading about "Painting Guns" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
halfded
February 28, 2009, 07:37 PM
Dura-coat all the way. Most of the gun supply places online should have it.

Rat Robb
February 28, 2009, 07:50 PM
What about preparing the surface?

I was thinking a light scuffing and cleaning before paint.

-Robb

crushbup
February 28, 2009, 09:31 PM
Bead blast it and parkerize it first. It'll grip the paint like nobody's business.

StoPPeR
March 1, 2009, 01:23 AM
I used brownels ALUMA-HYDE® II. It's my cc and gets banged up a bit. It is holding up very well. I have put about 175 rounds through this Kel-tec PF-9 and looks great still. It has been about six months. Some pictures. (http://picasaweb.google.com/StoPPeRmobile/Keltec?authkey=Gv1sRgCIGHnb_Mov-AIA#)

You will want to use a sand medium other than beads according to manufacturer. There logic on this is quite sound. The beads don't abrade the surface properly.

I have gone from blue to nickel to ALUMA-HYDE® II. I like the fact that i don't have to worry about rust now at all.

wrc376
March 1, 2009, 01:37 AM
krylon

Karl Hungus
March 1, 2009, 06:44 PM
If you're painting it so it looks cool - the above suggestions are spot on.

If you are painting it for functionality (camouflage), just get a few cans of Krylon and have at it. If it wears off, spray it again.

Shung
March 1, 2009, 06:47 PM
Karl, are you a nihilist ?

Sorry, i had to ;)

22lr
March 1, 2009, 07:58 PM
I just painted a shotgun with duralast high temp engine enamel. Looks amazing and so far things are good, I guess time will tell but it looks much better than a lot of dura-coat jobs ive seen, and it cost $5 for a can that can easily do 4-5 guns. I figure what have I got to lose it was a $25 dollar gun.

It hasn't seen much wear yet but so far it seems to be working good.

http://photos-e.ll.facebook.com/photos-ll-snc1/v2457/96/8/581381600/n581381600_1933724_1306028.jpg

Karl Hungus
March 1, 2009, 08:01 PM
Karl, are you a nihilist ?

Yes. I believe in nussing!

'cept for Krylon, that is.

thisisbullshin
March 1, 2009, 08:41 PM
I'll second what crushbup said: Bead blast it and parkerize it first...

The first few coats just soak into the parkerizing but man o man it sticks great.

Acera
March 1, 2009, 08:48 PM
First read what the manufacturer of the product you are interested in says. Once you have the opinion of the people who make the product you want to use, then you will have a way to proceed correctly, for the best possible outcome.

Plus do a search for gun coatings, there are a number of coatings available for your specific needs.

Diligent research will pay dividends in the end.

mcwjr13
March 1, 2009, 09:15 PM
Try this:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=127872#Post127872

If you enjoyed reading about "Painting Guns" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!