Do You Loan Out Guns?

PDA

wyocarp
February 28, 2009, 09:32 PM
I just read something about someone loaning out guns and I'm curious about how many of us do this. Do you loan out your guns? Would you let a friend use one to hunt with? Would you let a friend use one if he was on a hunting trip with you?

If you enjoyed reading about "Do You Loan Out Guns?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Gamera
February 28, 2009, 09:35 PM
I only let my (responsible, gun-knowledgeable) friends use my guns if we're at the range together. I would never let them use any out of my sight though.

MountainBear
February 28, 2009, 09:36 PM
I have a group of three or four people, either immediate family or friends so close they might as well be family, that I would give any of my guns to no questions asked (and have). There is also a second tier whom I might lend a hunting rifle to, but I would have to think about it. At the range, anyone is welcome to try my stuff out.

nwilliams
February 28, 2009, 09:38 PM
I'm selfish when it comes to my guns. People are welcome to shoot them as long as I'm around but I don't loan them out to anyone. If I did loan a gun out it would have to be to someone I really trust but nobody like that has ever asked.

dobrzemetal
February 28, 2009, 09:40 PM
No, I think its just an all around bad policy to lend out firearms.

PILMAN
February 28, 2009, 09:41 PM
I won't loan a weapon to anyone because the weapons are in my name, therefore I am responsible for that weapon.

I don't have a problem allowing friends or family to hold it or shoot it as long as I am there with them.

MaterDei
February 28, 2009, 09:41 PM
They are just objects, yes, but they are expensive objects that need to be treated properly so I won't lend them to just anybody. I'm happy to loan them to anybody I know who is responsible and safe though.

I'm currently in possession of two shotguns that a friend lent me yesterday for a business-related skeet outing. I don't own any skeet guns but my friend does and was happy to lend me a couple of guns (a Citori and an Auto-5). I'd be happy to loan my guns out as well, to the right person.

PCGS65
February 28, 2009, 09:44 PM
I have one friend that I would let use my gun(s).

rbernie
February 28, 2009, 09:45 PM
I have loaned out rifles to local THR members for hunts at least twice. I'll let anyone at the range shoot anything I brought, under my supervision. I have at least one pistol that's been on loan for over fifteen years, altho it's probably coming back to me in the next month or so. I have purchased several pistols that are designated 'loaners'. In sum - I have no quarrel with loaning out my hammers, my screwdrivers, or my guns.

I also pick my friends and acquaintances well.

publiuss
February 28, 2009, 09:47 PM
I will let my brothers, my father, and 1 friend borrow guns, I can't remember the last time any of them asked to borrow one, they have plenty themselves.

Huddog
February 28, 2009, 09:50 PM
I will allow others at the range to shoot my guns as long as I am with them. I will only loan a gun to my best friend or family but they already have their own so it doesn't happen often.

Larry Ashcraft
February 28, 2009, 09:59 PM
Yes, I do, and have. I'm with rbernie, if I can't trust them with my tools, then I don't want them as a friend.

wyocarp
February 28, 2009, 10:00 PM
In sum - I have no quarrel with loaning out my hammers, my screwdrivers, or my guns.

Well now, there's the rub for me. I don't like loaning any tools out. I've always figured if you can't buy one for yourself, then you can't replace mine.

Larry Ashcraft
February 28, 2009, 10:07 PM
I don't like loaning any tools out.
I don't mind it with a hammer or screwdriver. Things I don't loan out are chainsaws or trailers. If people don't own one, they probably don't know how to care for one.

I won't loan a gun to a non gun owner, but if a gun owner friend of mine needs to borrow one of mine for a special occasion, I would loan it out.

MaterDei
February 28, 2009, 10:09 PM
Some of these responses are just sad.

Personally, I really enjoy my guns and enjoy shooting them but I get more pleasure by watching others, especially my kids and new shooters, enjoy my guns.

I can't imagine not loaning out my guns, especially to somebody new to the hobby. It's the least I can do for the RKBA movement.

TAB
February 28, 2009, 10:10 PM
I have about 5 people that I trust with my guns, no strings attached. 3 are family members, 1 friend and my fiance. 3 of those infact have the combos to my safes. ( 2 I have thiers, my fiance does not have a safe)

At the range, any one that is polite and has safe gun handling skills/ willing to learn them, I will let them shoot my guns.

I let "hunting buddy's" use them if I am in the same trip.( other then those mentioned above)

At something like shooting event I guess it would be the same as the range. assuming I had plenty of ammo. maybe my reloads, but not thier reloads.

GTFord1
February 28, 2009, 10:12 PM
I'd have no problems with it as long as I knew they were responsible and trained enough to use them properly, but no one has ever asked me.

Hk91-762mm
February 28, 2009, 10:15 PM
Ill lend a beater hunting gun so a person can go hunting if they did not plan to go.. I wont lend a handgun Nor My black rifles -except to 1 friend who is trustworthy.
I wont lend a chainsaw to anyone !!!!

Rockwell1
February 28, 2009, 10:22 PM
I would loan a weapon out for a hunt if I were there other wise no.

I don't like loaning any tools out.

I saw a sign on a mechanics tool box once that said " I make my living with my SNAP-ON tools, please don't ask to borrow them"

It struck me then and now as a very logical way of looking at things. I don't loan tools either

rbernie
February 28, 2009, 10:25 PM
I saw a sign on a mechanics tool box once that said " I make my living with my SNAP-ON tools, please don't ask to borrow them"

It struck me then and now as a very logical way of looking at things. Excepting that I don't earn my living using these tools. That's why I'm ok with loaning them out. Other than my EDC weapons, they're all just not that critical to me (altho your post has forced me to realize that I do *not* loan out my EDC weapons)...

theotherwaldo
February 28, 2009, 10:37 PM
I may give someone a gun

I've been known to sell a gun to a friend for a token or symbolic amount.

I've often let folks use a gun during a shooting session.

But every time I've loaned a gun out I've wound up regretting it.

Never again.

Blacksmoke
February 28, 2009, 10:40 PM
I have loaned out many guns for a variety of reasons provided the person is not Palestinian, Irish or Italian.

OK, dumb joke. I do loan hunting arms to friends who I know are capable of handling them appropriately. friend still has a Ruger M77 .25-06. I think he wants to trade me for it. What should I consider to be a fair trade?

ccsniper
February 28, 2009, 10:41 PM
i would loan them out to a couple of friends and have done so. but a couple of friends i would never because their idiots

SoCalShooter
February 28, 2009, 11:08 PM
I have loanded a gun to a friend once but I trust him, he also loaned me his AR a couple of times before I got one.

redneckdan
February 28, 2009, 11:35 PM
I have loaned out firearms twice in my life. Both times they came back in worse shape then they left in. never again.

Coyote_Hunter_
February 28, 2009, 11:50 PM
When I took Dave hunting for the first time, I let him use my 7mm RM. We've been hunting together now fro over a decade.

My future son-in-law used my Savage .30-06 last fall while hunting with me. That's OK, because I bought it to give him as a wedding present. He doesn't know it yet but come August 6th , its his.

wrs840
February 28, 2009, 11:58 PM
I'd loan to friends and family only.

I have about three friends. :D

Les

RX-178
March 1, 2009, 12:03 AM
I would loan my weapons to anyone I know. KNOW being the key word.

Other than that, I tend to be a bit of a gun-ownership + CCW evangelist.

There isn't a single person that I have met, and am on good terms with, that I have not invited to try out some of my firearms. I also have the advantage of knowing some specific secluded areas out in the desert outside of town with natural backstops so they won't be intimidated by a public range full of shooters who (presumably) already know what they're doing.

It also helps that a friend of the family is both a 'kitchen table' FFL, and a licensed CCW instructor.

gvnwst
March 1, 2009, 12:05 AM
I have maybe 3 friends that i would let have any of my guns for a period of time, without my being there. Two are THR members.

bensdad
March 1, 2009, 12:12 AM
I've loaned out a couple of .22s to a friend (he has extensive firearms experience) who was trying to decide which one to get for himself. I also loaned out a deer rifle to another friend (also with plenty of experience) for an antelope hunt. All guns have come back in great shape. I'll quit when I get burned.

Kind of Blued
March 1, 2009, 12:13 AM
None of the above. The options are neither mutually-exclusive nor exhaustive.

I'd loan a gun to a friend/female acquaintance who was in elevated danger and might need one for self-defense. I'd loan a gun to a friend for any reason if they were trustworthy. Nevertheless, the understanding is that if they lose/damage it, they will replace it.

Dr.Awkward
March 1, 2009, 12:15 AM
Responsible friends? Okay, but the weapon never leaves my sight. Never had a good experience lending out a vehicle, either.

mongo4567
March 1, 2009, 12:23 AM
I've loaned some out to responsible friends. They need to be someone I know well and trust with the firearms.

ThrottleJockey
March 1, 2009, 12:23 AM
Not gonna happen. I trust my friends, but they have guns of their own. I would never ask to borrow one from them, and am a bit insulted if I am asked. When shooting together, sure, but only when I'm there. If I need one bad enough to borrow it, I need it bad enough to buy it. I feel the same should hold true of them. BTW, could I borrow your wife, you underwear, your children, your job or your birth certificate/sscard?

22-rimfire
March 1, 2009, 12:38 AM
I might loan a rifle for hunting purposes to a very good friend (short term). That is about the only case I can think of. Otherwise, they can buy their own or go with me shooting and test drive some of mine. IF you break it or mess it up, you bought it.

I have loaned one 22 rifle out. He had it for a number of years and it got to the point that he though it was his. So, I took it back. If it was a cheapie, I might have just given it to him after a few years, but it was one of my favorites, a Weatherby Mark XXII semi-auto.

2RCO
March 1, 2009, 12:46 AM
I answered -No but will let people close shoot them.

This is my general policy which has exceptions like family members and good friends.

At the range if someone wants to shoot one I'll let them take a shot or two.

jbkebert
March 1, 2009, 01:09 AM
I will lend some of my firearms to family, or another hunter ed instructor. There are times when we do youth and women hunts. I have borrowed a youth .243 to take a young man hunting. I have also loaned out a 20gauge to another instructor to do a youth turkey hunt. Heck there are times when we use guns from our own collections in classes. To either explain action types, safety or whatever. Sometimes resources are stretched thin and there are somethings that should not be taught with power point.

model of 1905
March 1, 2009, 01:12 AM
Nobody, no time, nope, not gonna happen.

theken206
March 1, 2009, 01:12 AM
depends, a friend has my AR with a 1000 dollar ACOG at his house right now.

but I trust him with my life, let alone one of my guns.

ACBMWM3
March 1, 2009, 02:43 AM
ive let friends and family use my guns while Im around. Except my father. i will let him take them, but he usually only goes shooting with me so....

Lon371
March 1, 2009, 02:57 AM
I would and have, only to a couple very close friends. I have to youth who are hunting next to me(arms length) The catch being, it comes home by sundown. I do not have a MEGA dallor collection or closet queens. I do have guns for hunting and they get used.

Lonny

DeathByCactus
March 1, 2009, 03:02 AM
No, never, won't even consider it, absolutely not, ever.

I trust my friends because the friends I have are only a few very close ones. However, even they have people over at times that I don't trust or like. I can't risk A) my friends hurting themselves; B) my friends friends hurting themselves; C) their lack of safe security; D) their lack of firearm knowledge/misfire into a wall or persons.

Now, my friend at one point had constantly been talking about wanting a weapon. So I did buy him a shotgun, 12g, home defense setup. Got him some buck shot and showed him how to use it... he still forgets how to load the damn thing. So I basically put a lock on it and said, "If someone breaks in, cock, point, shoot, /endscarysituation."

My weapons are my weapons and my responsibility. I refuse to loan them to anyone for any reason. However, I will always take my friends to the shooting range if they want to go and bring my weapons so they can play all day... as long as they pay for their ammo lol.

frogomatic
March 1, 2009, 03:14 AM
I have exactly one friend that I would loan a gun to. Though to be fair, he'd never need to borrow one of mine as he has many of his own. Lets just say he and I have been through hell and high water together, I'd trust him with my life and anything I own.

If I'm at the range and there are folk around, I'm always happy to share my ammo with anyone. In so doing I've had opportunity to shoot pretty fine guns that didn't belong to me, and have reveled in the sight of those same folk having a blast with my irons.

buck460XVR
March 1, 2009, 05:26 AM
I don't lend just any gun to any body, but there are many of my guns I lend to certain people. My sons can use any gun they want.....any time. They grew up using them and know the proper way to take care of them...and some day they will be theirs. My brothers can use any gun they want, for they learned how to use guns the same way I did, and we are tight enough that I know their respect for my property. I have maybe 3 good friends that I would let "borrow" certain guns.These are guns that have only monetary value and can readily be replaced.............

..........I also will let folks at the range fire any of my weapons as long as I feel confident they can safely and responsibly shoot them. It's part of promoting our sport...that said, I don't let just any doofazz that comes along and asks, have his way with them.

coloradokevin
March 1, 2009, 05:59 AM
Generally, no.

But, I did recently loan my Glock 22 to my closest friend/roommate for use during her police academy (THR member "darkhorse84"). She's like family to me, so I can make an exception to my normal "rules".

I also have a couple of very close out-of-state friends who I would be willing to lend a gun to, but they are also like family to me!

When I'm at a range I'm always willing to let people try my guns, as I just consider that to be part of the sport (similarly, I've shot a great deal of interesting guns owned by other folks at various ranges). But, loaning a gun out to someone is an entirely different matter!

EHL
March 1, 2009, 06:08 AM
I lent my brother one of my personal handguns for CCW while his gun was in the shop for a few weeks. DIdn't think twice about it. I'd do the same with any family member THAT I TRUST. (not all family is anywhere near trust worthy) I might (key word being "might") lend one to a really close friend (practically family) and only if I knew they would never do anything stupid with it. So far, I don't know any friends that I could 100% vouch for them in that department.

Odd Job
March 1, 2009, 06:48 AM
I'll let someone use it while I am present, but won't loan it. I am a bit biased because of the licensing / certificates needed to get my firearms.

For me it isn't a matter of trust, but even with best intentions, accidents happen. I lend a guy a gun and he has an auto accident and is killed.
It may be awkward getting that firearm back.

For the purposes of discussing inanimate objects I agree that guns are tools, but let's face it they are on a different level legally. Nobody ever made the headlines by leaving a hammer in a toilet at Starbucks, and it is unlikely that there will be an argument about a favourite screwdriver in a deceased person's estate.

If I was guaranteed to get the gun back with no misadventure involved, I wouldn't have a problem with it.

penny
March 1, 2009, 07:40 AM
I will share at a range like many others with safe persons while I am present.

I have loaned one firearm out to my husbands lifelong friend for his daughters first whitetail hunt. Returned in same shape as borrowed and the girls each harvested their first deer with my shotgun. I came out ahead on that deal.

hexidismal
March 1, 2009, 07:42 AM
Anyone who is has a knowledge of gun safety (my judgement) and can be trusted to treat my guns safely and responsibly (also my judgement) is welcome to use them at the range.

I would never loan out any gun to anyone.

Actually, if we're talking handguns.. loaning someone your handgun here in NY would be highly illegal.

moooose102
March 1, 2009, 07:46 AM
in my younger days, i made the mistake of loaning out one of my guns to one of my cousins. it took me 3 months to get it back (we have a 2 week deer season). :fire::banghead: so basicly now, i will loan them to my brothers, or my brothers son, or i have one nephew i would loan a gun to, that is about it. if someone wanted to shoot one of my guns while i am there, i wouldn't have much of a problem with that. you really never know if that is something you want until you try it.

qajaq59
March 1, 2009, 07:49 AM
I loaned out a rifle to my nephew twice. Both times they came back with a problem. Never again!

jon_in_wv
March 1, 2009, 08:04 AM
We have quite a few shooting enthusiast at my Church and I have proposed a range day. I plan on bring quite a few of my guns for people to try out. I think it would be fun for them to try out some of my military weapons especially. I wouldn't feel comfortable loaning them one of my weapons for them to take with them though. I'm selfish with my toys and I'm afraid they would scratch them.

420Stainless
March 1, 2009, 09:21 AM
No category fits for me. I have loaned a hunting rifle to a trusted family member. Not outside the family though. I don't mind friends shooting them at the range - I encourage them to. I probably would allow a friend to use one on a hunt, but have never actually been asked or been in a situation where I thought it would be helpful to offer. Most of my hunting has been of a solitary nature thus far. As my kids grow that will change.

Guns are a little more special than utility items to me. However, they are still just material things in the grand scheme. I worry more that someone will suffer a tragic accident while using one of mine than I am about the possibility of damage to the weapon.

searcher451
March 1, 2009, 11:17 AM
Sight unseen and out of mind? Never. With a friend at the range, certainly. With a stranger at the range? Not as certainly, but I've struck up converations from time to time with fellow range rats that has led to an exchange of firearms for a magazine or two. A couple of local LEOs were fascinated by the left-hand ejection system of the Walther P5 a couple of months back and asked about it. We got to talking a bit, I let them each run a magazine through the gun, and only afterward did they even mention that they were from the county sheriff's department.

What I wouldn't do, ever, is to give a friend a gun and let him borrow it for a hour or a day or an overnight trip. Too many bad stories out there to do that.

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
March 1, 2009, 11:53 AM
I've offered to loan a friend a gun for a hunt or for an event.

That one.

Hungry Seagull
March 1, 2009, 12:01 PM
My Spouse uses the weapons, but action open, magazine empty, chamber empty port arms at inspection and then handed over. Once hands close and take hold of the weapon yer "It"

But would I loan the weapon to someone else? Never outside of the range. Heck I dont know if I can even share it with a stranger ON the range. I would probably think that it's best to just hold on to it and leave it at that.

Aint loaned out guns before, not gonna start now.

Duke of Doubt
March 1, 2009, 12:04 PM
Some things, you just don't loan out.

Your toothbrush. Your pipes. Your girlfriend. Your guns.

jbauch357
March 1, 2009, 12:36 PM
I loaned out my muzzle loader to buddy for hunting season a few years back. I have known him for 10 years and he's a responsible gun owner so I wasn't worried about doing so. Even though he never actually took it hunting he gave it a good clean and oiling before giving it back.

I can count on one hand the people (including family) that I would be willing to lend a gun to.

waterhouse
March 1, 2009, 12:49 PM
I would, and have, loaned guns to several family members and friends that I knew could safely handle them.

I've also turned down requests from people (friends and even a family member) who wanted to borrow a gun but who had no basic safety training and refused to go to the range and learn.

I've had good experiences loaning out both guns and things like vehicles. My friends/family return them clean, and in the case of the latter, full of gas. I'm also sure that, if situations were ever reversed, they'd loan me theirs. I've been invited on last minute hunts in other states . . . thankfully someone could loan me a gun, and in a few cases a jacket, hat, and boots as well.

I'm surprised at how many people wouldn't allow a trusted friend to borrow a gun.

Furncliff
March 1, 2009, 01:33 PM
Yes, anything you'd want. Except the pistol my dad left me. It's just stuff.

alemonkey
March 1, 2009, 01:35 PM
Last one I loaned out was to my cousin. That was about 5 years ago and I still haven't gotten it back. I think he sold it because every time he says he's going to get it back to me something comes up at the last minute:fire:

So, I don't loan out guns any more.

shooter429
March 1, 2009, 01:53 PM
It may be illegal. If someone needs one bad enough, I will sell or give, but I don't loan. I think it is a really bad idea. Not only do loaners not get taken care of, IME but who is responsible if your loaned gun is used in a crime, for example?

I once sold a car to a neighbor for a nominal fee. He never went and payed the transfer/tabs. about 3 days later I had half a dozen cops at my door, grilling me for 2.5 hours. "My" car had just been used in an armed robbery. Think about it-what if your gun was found at a murder scene, for example. "you got some 'splainin to do.

Shooter429

buck460XVR
March 1, 2009, 02:13 PM
Think about it-what if your gun was found at a murder scene, for example. "you got some 'splainin to do.

IMHO.......If you're afraid to loan a gun to a friend because they may use it to commit a crime, you're hangin' out with the wrong folk. For those that won't lend a gun to a trusted friend because you fear they will mistreat it or sell it off on you, again..... you have the wrong type of folks that you call "good friends".

We all have family members we wouldn't lend a house cat to, much less a valued firearm.....one thing you can't pick is family.

Ditto_95
March 1, 2009, 02:37 PM
I have had folks bang my guns together while handling them. Not because they meant to but because they were careless.
I don't let people handle my guns anymore.

Redneck with a 40
March 1, 2009, 02:40 PM
Only at the range, under my supervision. If they are a newbie, then they get the safety lecture first.:)

dbarile
March 1, 2009, 02:40 PM
I will let certain people shoot any gun I bring to the range, but I always get the first shot on any gun I buy, even the O/U shotgun I bought for my oldest.

If I really like you I may 'give' you a gun, but I never loan them out.

rcnixon
March 1, 2009, 02:42 PM
I don't loan out tools of any kind. I'll let you use them. Heck, I'll probably even help you with the project. Loan? No thanks.

Duke of Doubt
March 1, 2009, 03:07 PM
I have to admit, it would be kind of interesting to be asked.

"Uh, Duke ... could I borrow your Beretta for a project tonight?"

22lr
March 1, 2009, 03:10 PM
Id loan a gun to a friend, albeit certain friend only:rolleyes:.

Guns are guns and friends are friends.

Geezer Glide
March 1, 2009, 04:51 PM
You just don't loan guns, motorcycles, or wives.

afish4570
March 1, 2009, 05:08 PM
Lent him a SS hammerless Savage 20 ga. in like new shape....Got it back with rusty finger prints all over barrel. Bore somehow survived through no effort on his part. Later swapped it for a muzzle loader and cash in a trade. Haven't lent anything since that wasn't at a range so I could watch and care for it. If I had to lend a deer rifle I might lend a Moisin Nagant or 303 Enfield. These are used and seen enough service and are generally soldier proof.afish4570:cuss::cuss::cuss:

JohnBT
March 1, 2009, 07:18 PM
This thread reminded me that my duck hunting buddy/guide has had a Rem 1100 of mine for 4 years. :)

Other than that one, I only loan guns to family members.

John

scythefwd
March 1, 2009, 07:24 PM
There is a good friend at my church who uses a set of bolt cutters to kill her goats for butchering. I offered her a .22lr revolver to do the job a little more easily (if it doesn't work well, there is the .32 H&R mag up for offer as well).

TeamPrecisionIT
March 1, 2009, 08:19 PM
I don't have many guns, but each has a specific purpose and needs to be able to be deployed immediatelty should the needs arise. With that said, when I have more then the bare necesseties like at the moment, I would be more than willing to loan them out to friends and family. I don't consider someone either unless they are trustworthy, so I don't have to worry about anything else.

Damian

FlyinBryan
March 1, 2009, 08:33 PM
i voted no, never, and its true except for 4 individuals.

pretty much comes down to who i trust.

my brother
my son
my brothers son
and helz mcfugly on this forum.

as far as guns go, those 4 are the only ones, period.

for most of the rest, its not that i dont trust their intentions (although some of them i wouldnt) its just the liability of that whole situation.

ive even had someone come over to my house angry that someone had done them wrong, and wanted a gun to "take care of it" i told him that not only would i not loan them a gun, i wouldnt even sell them one.

that terminated that friendship (sigh, relieved)

SpecialKalltheway
March 1, 2009, 08:42 PM
I loan them out to anyone I trust that they will take care of them as I would.

heavyshooter
March 1, 2009, 10:29 PM
I never loan my guns to anyone but I will allow them to shoot and handle them when we have a group outing. I will never allow a stranger to shoot my guns at the range. It's a personal stumbling block. I have tried it twice and I was very uncomfortable both times. I just don't feel comfortable handing my loaded gun to a perfect stranger. (HMMM, when I just typed that out it made perfect sense to me.) ;)

KINGMAX
March 1, 2009, 10:33 PM
You have to be really close to me and an all around good guy!!!!!!!!!!!!!

elkhuntingfool
March 1, 2009, 10:34 PM
heck no - never loan out anything. I will let someone shoot one of my firearms while I am present, but for them to leave my possession - NEVER.

BruceB
March 2, 2009, 12:57 AM
Didn't answer the poll, as it wasn't specific enough for *MY* purposes.

I have a couple of friends (I'm proud to say) who are as close as brothers to me, if not more so. They live hundreds of miles away.

Last year, my wife had to stay alone in a very up-scale Los Angeles hotel while I was hospitalized for surgery at USC. The friend who picked us up at LAX, and dropped us at the hotel an hour or so later, left my wife a thoroughly-loaded .45 Glock and two additional loaded magazines. She's a VERY competent gunhandler, by the way.

Could I do less? If this friend, or one other that comes to mind, was in a similar situation to ours, they would also be in possession of one of my prizes for the duration of the "situation". Therefore, I'd answer the poll as "99.9%, hell no, I don't loan my guns...but I have these two brethren in the remaining 0.1%....."

Too bad I don't see that precise option in the poll answers (grin).

Eschaton
March 2, 2009, 01:08 AM
I spent $1,500 on my baby.

My buddies and family can shoot it whenever they want when I'm there.

Other than that, it's mine and stays mine. :p

jacob.elliott
March 2, 2009, 10:46 AM
it depends on who i was lending them too. and insurance is an amazing thing

bikerdoc
March 2, 2009, 11:19 AM
Come down to the back 40 with me, try it, if you like it go buy your own.

Oro
March 2, 2009, 11:26 AM
If a good friend needs a gun for a good purpose, he get's one. That is what friends do - help each other. But I grew up in the upper South.

But maybe that's "old america" or something. Most of you guys sound like Democrats or Northerners or something odd like that.

wyocarp
March 2, 2009, 12:21 PM
This thread has gone pretty much the way I thought it would. A lot of us are willing to let people shoot our guns while present and have a select group of people we might consider letting use a gun.

I've always been happy to let someone use a gun in my presence, but even that has begun to bother me. The last time I took some relatives to a range, I hated every minute of it. They were dangerous, careless, and wreckless. I cringed when one of them wanted to shoot a Colt SAA, nearly dropping it, trying to open the loading gate without the hammer half cocked, etc., etc.

Thanks to the practice of ranges that rent guns, I think the best way around all of this is to go with people to these ranges and let them rent the guns they would like to shoot. At the places I go, it is very cheap.

lukepriebe
March 2, 2009, 12:31 PM
Don't know why not. Paid more for my car than any of my guns. Only to a few I trust though. Same with the car.

ob3640
March 2, 2009, 12:31 PM
Bad memories of every time I loaned a gun :banghead:

RoadkingLarry
March 2, 2009, 12:44 PM
When hunting with them probably.
To my dad it would depend on the gun.
To my brother, no way in he]].
One or two close associates would be a maybe.

offthepaper
March 2, 2009, 12:51 PM
My future son-in-law used my Savage .30-06 last fall while hunting with me. That's OK, because I bought it to give him as a wedding present. He doesn't know it yet but come August 6th , its his.

Coyote
Man, I wish I was your son-in-law. :D

wyocarp
March 2, 2009, 01:09 PM
My father-in-law has given me three guns. They are all worthless. I wish I had a better father-in-law. Or at least one with more money and better taste.

Wolfebyte
March 2, 2009, 01:26 PM
At the range, no problems, I don't mind sharing the sport with others..

loaning out my weapons is reserved for friends and family. But I'm still going to be picky...

MT GUNNY
March 2, 2009, 01:30 PM
I use my best Friend as a Pawn Shop. He has my M&P .45 as Collateral, I would Trust him Way Before a Real Pawn Shop, + He Don't charge Interest!!

Ala Dan
March 2, 2009, 01:31 PM
I'm not a member of a firearm lend or lease program; but they are
welcome too try 'em out in my presence, at a properly run range~! :scrutiny: ;)

jon_in_wv
March 2, 2009, 09:44 PM
I don't mind letting someone shoot my gun on the range. In return they have let me shoot theirs and its usually been pretty fun to share in the enthusiasm of shooting.

One time I was at a new friends house and he showed be his carry gun, a Taurus Pt111. I mentioned the Makarov I was currently carrying. He wanted to see it so I let him handle it. Before he handed it back he untucked the front of his T-shirt and wiped it down thoroughly. He said he didn't want his fingerprints on it in case it was used it in a crime. He wasn't my friend after that.

wep45
March 2, 2009, 10:48 PM
Do You Loan Out Guns

not now...............not ever:evil:

Flyboy
March 3, 2009, 07:28 AM
I do, and do so freely, depending upon the person.

I keep a couple of extra .22's around specifically for loaning out at Appleseed events, and I actually have one of my .22 pistols out right now to a friend who wanted to teach his kids to shoot.

That same friend is going to be buying a rifle and pistol with his next paycheque, and his kids had a great time. I think that's a fantastic return on investment. We need more shooters--especially young shooters--and loaning firearms to those not yet in "the club" is a great way to get them hooked.

Share your guns. Teach new folks. Swell the ranks.

RSABear
March 3, 2009, 07:39 AM
It is Illegal in my country to be in possession of a firearm without a license. You can not lend or borrow a firearm as the serial number(s) must match the license. Many people have been arrested because of incorrect data capturing when they applied for a license.

Zach S
March 3, 2009, 07:47 AM
No option for me.

Its never came up. I've never offered, no one has asked. Although if it did come up, I would have to think long and hard about it.

I have let many people shoot mine at the range though. If I dont know them I'm close, but if its a buddy of mine I let him take it into the range alone.

Paid more for my car than any of my guns.
I dont loan my cars out. I will my truck, but its an old work truck, so I don't care if it gets banged up a little (its been rear-ended three times, and I never filed a claim).

KevininPa
March 3, 2009, 08:05 AM
We borrow each others firearms on occasion. We both know that the firearm will come back in the same condition it was in when loaned. When either of us goes on vacation, our entire collections will end up at each others home for safe keeping. I have allowed other gun club members to fire my handguns at our range while I was there. This was almost always after they offered to share theirs.

erict
March 3, 2009, 08:55 AM
I have 2 very close friends and 2 close family members that I have let borrow firearms. They also own many weapons and have let me borrow one or two from time to time. I also let fellow shooters at the range try out anything that they're curous about.

I don't let anyone else borrow anything under any circumstances. I have had aquaintances and other fairly close friends ask but I won't do it because I've seen that situation go bad with other individuals. I carry the same view with borrowing money.

JWF III
March 3, 2009, 09:30 AM
I voted never lend/loan, but try them while I'm near.

But I suppose if a situation came up, where a very good female friend was having trouble with an ex-. If she wouldn't want to temporarily move in with me, I would probably loan a pistol to her. But the chance of all this happening is slim, most of the females I have known were at least mildly interested in shooting. And owned at least a pistol already.

Wyman

1KPerDay
March 3, 2009, 01:10 PM
I've lent guns to close friends and family for 3-gun matches and informal shooting. Usually they clean them and buy me some ammo. If they don't at least offer to clean them for me, I don't lend them guns anymore. :)

I wouldn't let them go to just anyone, though.

shooter429
March 3, 2009, 03:48 PM
They mean enough to me to just give them the guns. My adult child wanted to borrow my .22 for time at the range. I was clear that I would give it and it was theirs, but not to loan it to others.

Once bitten...

Shooter429

DHJenkins
March 3, 2009, 04:21 PM
Never loan guns or tools.

yosarian
March 3, 2009, 06:49 PM
NO way never.Its a good way to lose a gun.

kimbernut
March 3, 2009, 06:59 PM
To very close family and one only friend I consider family- those are welcome to any that I own for as long as they need it.

Karl Hungus
March 3, 2009, 07:07 PM
I'll loan out certain guns to certain friends. There are other guns that I will only let close friends shoot while I'm with them at the range.

In general, the less long-range precision oriented the gun is, the more willing I am to let others use it.

Ed Ames
March 3, 2009, 08:36 PM
I'll give some people some guns.

Not big on lending.

proplinker
March 3, 2009, 10:33 PM
Should we not spread the fun. I have a full blown benchrest rig with a friend in southeren Indiana. and the first 100 rounds through my AR-15 was shot by another friend. this is the greatest sport/hobby spread the fun

357sigRog
March 4, 2009, 12:31 AM
I always take 2 rifles when I leave for a deer hunt. My buddy that was hunting with me 2 years ago damaged his scope beyond repair. I loaned him my other rifle for the next 2 weeks no questions asked. For good friends, it doesn't bother me one bit to loan one of my rifles out. About 20 years ago the same thing happened to me and a friend loaned me one to finish a hunt. So the answer is yes I would loan out a rifle or a shotgun to a friend. But if someone was to ask to borrow a handgun and keep it for some time, which they never have, I would say no. I do let friends shoot my handguns when I am there.

B yond
March 4, 2009, 12:35 AM
NO! The person you're loaning a gun to could be a felon for all you know. Then there may be legal ramifications for you.

I feel responsible for my guns and how they're used. If I give them to someone, and they're misused, I will feel responsible.

I will let a friend shoot them at the range, but rest assured I'm watching closely and well armed myself.

RippinSVT
March 4, 2009, 12:38 AM
Eh, maybe to the right very good friend or family member, but not with any regularity. My father-in-law loaned out a Model 29 Smith to a buddy for a handgun deer hunt and got it back with 3 bullets in the barrel. Apparently the first round didnt have powder and lodged a bullet in the tube, but the guy then fired 2 MORE round in behind it. lol. It didn't blow up, amazingly, but the barrel did have to be replaced.

ChCx2744
March 4, 2009, 02:38 AM
Only my POST certified co-workers; sometimes it's vice-versa and my room mate lets me borrow his .45LC when I'm in a hurry.

Lon371
March 5, 2009, 02:30 AM
I have re-thought this since I replied.
I am sure most of you have a precious closet queen or just some special gun. But if someone had never loaned you a gun, would you have ever even shot a gun??

Lonny

paintballdude902
March 5, 2009, 02:34 AM
kinda torn between 2 and 3 it depends greatly on who it is that wants to borrow the gun family- yeah good friend- deoends which gun they want friend- depends who they are and how they treat stuff

Gamera
March 5, 2009, 02:38 AM
For those who keep saying stuff like "but your friends may never discover the joy of shooting if you don't lend your guns to them", keep in mind, we're not talking about loaning your gun to someone while you're there with them. We're talking about sending your gun off with someone for the weekend or whatever. Without you. My dad did this once, and he hasn't seen his rifle since!

If you enjoyed reading about "Do You Loan Out Guns?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!