overhand slide operation

PDA

halfded
March 1, 2009, 12:05 AM
Can someone explain for me what "overhand" operation of the slide is? Used for charging and releasing the slide.

Also can anyone point me to a good website about combat pistol shooting? Technique, drills, any good reading will do. Starting an ice storm out here. Might end up with a bit of spare time.:mad:

If you enjoyed reading about "overhand slide operation" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Bishop26
March 1, 2009, 12:14 AM
My understanding of overhand slide operation is just what it says placing your hand on top of the slide to cycle it vs pulling it from the rear of the slide to cycle. My Cz requires overhand because the spring is so stiff.

9mmepiphany
March 1, 2009, 01:06 AM
it also refers to releasing the slide by grabbing it with your hand over the top as opposed to using the "slide stop"

Zak Smith
March 1, 2009, 01:12 AM
http://demigodllc.com/photo/TR-FP-2006/B100_2669_img_c.jpg

Kind of Blued
March 1, 2009, 01:21 AM
Just as a note, be careful with Bomar square-cut target sights. Blood does weird things to blueing... :eek:

Not a problem with the "slingshot method", although there's a little more room for error there in my opinion.

Gunfighter123
March 1, 2009, 01:24 AM
Be VERY CAREFULL if you are useing FRONT serrations on the slide for over the top racking ---- a good buddy of mine shot himself in the palm with a .45acp doing so. If I sound unclear on this , I could post some photos tomorrow.

The photo that Zak posted is a good way to rack the slide .

9mmepiphany
March 1, 2009, 01:29 AM
the front serrations weren't designed to be used overhand for just that reason. they originated as a way to rack the slide when the rear serrations were blocked by mounted optics...they are designed to be used from under the frame

Zak Smith
March 1, 2009, 01:29 AM
The proper way to do it is pictured; however, he should have the pistol a little higher so he's not looking down. This grip and position should be used for both administrative and all "active" gun manipulations that involve racking the slide.

franconialocal
March 1, 2009, 01:36 AM
Overhand slide operation is also used tatically to clear a stovepipe round. You can clear the stovepipe round and rack the next round in one motion. And your hand will thank you for it :mad: as you then bleed all over the place...

HorseSoldier
March 1, 2009, 02:00 AM
I've been formally taught to always use the overhand grip (with a Glock, whose slide release isn't very thumb friendly) and to never use the overhand grip (with an M9, whose safety/decocker complicates overhand grip). Both approaches seem to work well enough if trained extensively enough.

9mmepiphany
March 1, 2009, 02:13 AM
the M9 is the only exception in my battery...for it i use the "slide release"

If you enjoyed reading about "overhand slide operation" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!