Hi-points

PDA

Antihero
March 1, 2009, 04:12 AM
Ok, for years ive heard how horrible these things are, told to run screaming and read the articles about how bad they were.

Ive been away from guns for a little while and all the sudden im starting to see that Hi Points are considered very reliable and now sorta good. Is this some recent developement? Ive never really looked into them so i dont know a lot about them. I do have the carbine which i love though.

So do hi points have any bad sides short of being hideous to the point of ridiculousness? I see them a lot for very cheap and it wouldnt be used for self defence.

If you enjoyed reading about "Hi-points" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
earlthegoat2
March 1, 2009, 06:16 AM
If you like handguns, you owe it to yourself to get a HiPoint. Form follows function with these and you can get them used for 140 or less. They are horrible in every department except that they shoot when you pull the trigger.

Zach S
March 1, 2009, 06:20 AM
Most of the "Hi-Ponts suck" comments are from snobs.

They're ugly, cheap, and crudely made, but they do in fact work. Don't tinker with it and it'll be fine.

I talked to one guy who said he's afraid to take his apart to clean it, because it works. He's afraid that if he cleans it, it wont. He uses it for his truck gun.

The only ones my 'smith has had brought back to him were from guys who tried to make something on it better. Those who lube/shoot/repeat dont have any problems.

I dont own one myself, not do I plan to. I guess I got a little snob in me too. But back in the day, when I had money, I bought a G19 for my beater.

quicherbichen
March 1, 2009, 07:53 AM
Don't know any thing about them, but I did overhear the guy behind the gun counter telling the guy that was buying one today not to shoot blazer and something else out of it because they jam up.:)

Guy just said give me 3 boxes of whatever you recommend, and went on with his purchase.

earlthegoat2
March 1, 2009, 09:27 AM
Shooting the Blazer might be subjective to the guys own experience but nonetheless all pistols are picky about ammunition in some degree or another.

dwhite
March 1, 2009, 09:59 AM
Go over to the Hi-Point forums and read what true Hi-Point owners have to say about them. I don't own one. I never owned a Toyota Corolla either but, I'm sure the Corolla would get me everywhere that a BMW 7 series would.

http://www.hipointfirearmsforums.com/Forum/index.php

All the Best,
D. White

The Lone Haranguer
March 1, 2009, 10:14 AM
Ok, for years ive heard how horrible these things are, told to run screaming and read the articles about how bad they were.

You still hear that now. But I've paid four to six times as much for handguns that still malfunctioned and broke.

mainmech48
March 1, 2009, 12:08 PM
The April 2009 issue of "Guns" magazine has a test/evaluation of the Hi-Point .45 written by John Taffin. FWIW, he's a fellow who knows a bit about handguns and he has some very positive things to say about it.

I've never owned one personally, mostly due to the large difference in overall size and weight compared to a 1911 and my misgivings about how well a blowback-action .45 ACP would hold up under extended use.

punkndisorderly
March 1, 2009, 01:27 PM
I think their quality has improved a lot in the last decade or so. I've never owned one, and don't really ever see owning one but wouldn't give anyone who owned one the stinkeye either.

From what I've seen, the general feeling is that they are good quality firearms designed to be shot little. They tend to be more fragile than most more expensive competiors. If you figure in the lifetime warranty, no biggie. I'd much rather someone buy one and spend the $350 difference on ammo and perhaps a training course than spend $600 on a Glock and a box of ammo and stick it in a drawer and forget about it until the day it's needed.

Avenger
March 1, 2009, 01:40 PM
I've fired a few rounds through a couple of the .45s. They went *BANG* and the rounds hit inside the body silhouette at 21 feet, but that's about all I can say about it. Assuming .45 was cheaper, I might keep one for a plinker, but not as something I'd do marksman shooting with or trust with my life. Yes, their reputation has certainly improved.....but not enough and not recently enough for my taste.

verdun59
March 1, 2009, 01:47 PM
The 9mm carbine is great, everybody should have one....

jimmyjamonit
March 1, 2009, 09:50 PM
So many cops carry the hi point 9. Especially in Departments where they have to purchase thier own weapon. It's hard to believe but its true.

Antihero
March 1, 2009, 10:24 PM
If you like handguns, you owe it to yourself to get a HiPoint.

Eh, im not so sure about that.

The April 2009 issue of "Guns" magazine has a test/evaluation of the Hi-Point .45 written by John Taffin. FWIW, he's a fellow who knows a bit about handguns and he has some very positive things to say about it.

I've never owned one personally, mostly due to the large difference in overall size and weight compared to a 1911 and my misgivings about how well a blowback-action .45 ACP would hold up under extended use.

Read it, thats the reason i posted this actually.

The 9mm carbine is great, everybody should have one....

I do have one, love it.

Assuming .45 was cheaper, I might keep one for a plinker, but not as something I'd do marksman shooting with or trust with my life

This is basically what im thinking, im seeing them at under $100 bucks, might be fun to screw around with.

So many cops carry the hi point 9. Especially in Departments where they have to purchase thier own weapon. It's hard to believe but its true.

I find it really hard to believe, id love to see actual data saying that though.

Thanks for all the responses, keep them coming.

shooter1
March 1, 2009, 10:34 PM
Yep, really hard for me to believe! I'm retired LEO, and have never seen a Hi Point in any cop's holster. Never heard of them being on anyone's approved list either.
str1

PT1911
March 1, 2009, 10:35 PM
well.. here goes again.. HI points will do what you expect.. point, pull, and go bang... the resulting over-recoil, and lingering thought of the possible explosion to come would probably be enough for even an experienced shooter to flinch. So, as something inexpensive to learn to shoot with, I understand. but, in the long run, and for the most part, (I know they have a warranty.. dont start) you get what you pay for. there are deals to be had, but few under a few hundred dollars. Personally, I would not trust my life to a hi-point. but as a plinker, why not... if you can hold your aim with that, you can hold if for sure with a better quality gun. If it is what you can afford and you cannot find anything else used in that price range, it is a viable choice; however, if you can afford it, dont waste the money for a gun you are sure to be disappointed with, in the end, you will lose money when you decide to move up. they, unlike most guns, are not going to appreciate in value or even hold their value.

Big Bill
March 1, 2009, 11:22 PM
You get what you pay for!

Mooseman
March 2, 2009, 03:10 AM
I have one of the .45 models and I really like it. It certainly is reliable and you'd be hard pressed to find another 45 in that price range even used with a bad finish. Some of the things you might not like about it are the capacity (9+1) in a really large platform. A difficult firearm to conceal as it's tall, thick, long, and heavy. The recoil feels a bit odd compared to other semiauto's I've fired, when returning to battery the nose kinda dips because the slide is very heavy. Never seemed to negatively impact how I shot it though. There is virtually zero aftermarket support for it. Just some things to keep in mind.

The good things have already been said.

I wouldn't hesitate to get another one, maybe even a green slide. If your going for ugly, you might as well go for broke.

Hope this helped

jcwit
March 2, 2009, 11:47 AM
Hi-Points biggest problem!! No bragging rights. He, He, look at him, he's got a Hi-Point, He, He. Poor guy, bet he drives a Yugo too, He, He.

No I do not own a Hi-Point.

bikerdoc
March 2, 2009, 12:10 PM
I have one in 9mm. Ugly but reliable. not my EDC, but it works well. bought used to see for myself.
Greatest pleasure is putting it in the range bag with my CZ 75, going to the range and using the CZ 75 with some snob in the next lane extolling the virtues of his latest wiz bang, tacticool, whatever.
At that point out come the high point, Shoot some smaller groups than him, put it away and hope a lesson is learned.

Oh, also have the carbine and it just plain rocks.

ilbob
March 2, 2009, 12:43 PM
I have one in 45ACP.

Its big and ugly, but goes bang every time.

Its actually bigger than my P85.

I think I paid $168 tax included.

Can't say as I like the safety or the fact it does not have a slide release, but what do you want for $168?

Not a target gun, but its not as if it misses by a mile.

Grey_Mana
March 2, 2009, 07:26 PM
So many cops carry the hi point 9. Especially in Departments where they have to purchase their own weapon. It's hard to believe but its true.

http://www.hi-pointfirearms.com/handguns/9%20mm/hi_point_9mm.html

I find it hard to believe a cop would carry a pistol with 8 round standard / 10 round optional magazines.

I'm planning to pick one up. I've handled (but not shot) it and the ergonomics are fine.

gregj
March 2, 2009, 08:06 PM
I've had my C9 since march of last year. I put the Hogue univeral grip sleeve on it, and it really fits my hand nicely. It's a good shooter and fun to shoot. After I polished the feed ramp and tweaked the mag lips, I've not had any failures, of any kind, for several hundred rounds (I've lost count). Would I trust it. Yes, it's done night stand duty for some time. Considering the customer service and life time warranty, it's really a good buy. It's a good weapon to get someone into the sport, or a gun for SD, that they may not be otherwise be able to afford. And before you say it, not everyone can save up a couple more hundred $ and buy a used x or y or z. Especially now that the market is nutz.

Some people really cant get past how they look, or what they were like years ago, etc, etc. To me, it looks like a pistol, and it does a good job being one.

I really like to set my Hi-Point out at the range next to my Sigs, Ruger, S&W, etc. No one has ever smirked at me for having it (that I could catch), but I have had more than one ask me if it was a HK!! :rolleyes:

http://i690.photobucket.com/albums/vv262/gbjones/Guns/Target_C9_07062008.jpg

shooter1
March 2, 2009, 09:29 PM
I'm not going to criticize anyone's choice of guns, whisky, or women. The HP is not to my personal taste, but more power to those who like them. Far better than no gun at all. Enjoy!!!
str1

ljnowell
March 3, 2009, 02:54 AM
Cheap gun beats no gun every time. It dont matter what it is as long as you're are shooting.

Jed Carter
March 3, 2009, 06:02 AM
Something must be wrong with me I can't see spending $150 on a new .45, but I can see spending $400 on a used one. All I know, and need to know about the hi-point pistols: The slides are PAINTED (powder coated), enough for appliances but not for firearms.

Davek1977
March 3, 2009, 07:35 AM
The slides are PAINTED (powder coated), enough for appliances but not for firearms.

However, you can't send in your washing machine to be replaced with a new one if the paint gets scratched.... you can with a Hi-Point!! They are what they are, but given a choice between carrying a hi-point and going defenseless, I'd have absolutely no qualms grabbing a HP. Can you send your washing machine in for a new one, free of charge, if it fails after 2000 loads of laundry? You can with a Hi-point!!! In reality, that $150 doesn't buy you a "new gun". It buys you as many guns as you (or your uncle's brother's friend's sister that you sold your hi-point to back in 1997, for that matter) can wear out, rust out, or otherwise destroy. I'm not saying they are the ultimate defensive handgun, and tyhat you'd be foolish to own anything else, but for $150 bucks, most people end up getting far more gun they they expected. I don't own one, but thats more becasue I have no need for one rather than distrust of them.

KevininPa
March 3, 2009, 09:57 AM
I wish I would've kept it for a car gun. It actually shot Wolf 9mm flawlessly. Didn't have much money then. Accuracy was actually decent. I had a lot of rounds through that firearm. I actually sold it for what I paid for it. Buddy of mine had one of their carbines, same story. Boy was that thing fun!

LoneCoon
March 3, 2009, 10:41 AM
Another Plus: Hi Points are made in America.

Don't give your hard earned money to those no good Germans or Austrians! </sarcasm>

Jed Carter
March 3, 2009, 06:31 PM
If it was all I could afford then the choices are limited, if it broke then my only gun would be at the service center for at least three months. And I would have to pay insured return next day shipping to OH, $40. I don't doubt that they work, but can anyone really put their trust in one. Fantastic warranty, but I could only imagine just what percentage of their owners have to use it.

CoRoMo
March 3, 2009, 06:38 PM
They're ugly, cheap, and crudely made, but they do in fact work.

+1 on that.
My C9 was probably worth the $100 I paid for it, and it is certainly ugly as butt. I don't shoot it much at all anymore, but I'm not selling it. I'll let my kids learn to shoot with it rather than something I paid real money for.

feudalson
March 3, 2009, 06:47 PM
seen them run great.. seen them jam and break.. cheap ugly but not a bad buy,... if u want a cheap utterly realiable gun i suggest a ve s&w sigma 300 bucks all over the place rugged as a glock better looking, and better feeling in the hand imo...

5knives
March 3, 2009, 06:53 PM
if it broke then my only gun would be at the service center for at least three months.

Ummm ... nope!

more like two weeks at the outside.

And I would have to pay insured return next day shipping to OH, $40.

Not if you follow their instructions on how to return it, and they'll send back an extra magazine or two to make up for your trouble.

Fantastic warranty, but I could only imagine just what percentage of their owners have to use it.

Imagination loses, the answer is "not many", there have been one or two problems in the past, usually the old style firing pin and or magazine related, you call them describe the problem, and if it's user repairable they send you the new part, usually in 3 days or less.

I don't own one currently, but I have owned two, one stolen and one went to a neice when she moved to FL. used it to get her ccw, and still uses it for a truck gun.

Three others in the family, some used a little, some a lot, never a moments trouble with any of them, except for one quirky magazine, which Hi-Point replaced in less than a week, told the owner to either keep the old mag. or throw it away, the new one was in the mail.

Actually I've got two C9's on order right now, my wife has problems with my .357's (5), .44's (3) and 1911's (3), so one will be her "car gun" and the other her 'house and hiking' gun.

As always, JMHO, YMMV

Regards,
:)

lgbloader
March 4, 2009, 01:48 PM
I have some nice pistols as well but I still want a HP in 9mm.

LGB

sarduy
March 4, 2009, 02:09 PM
Don't know any thing about them, but I did overhear the guy behind the gun counter telling the guy that was buying one today not to shoot blazer and something else out of it because they jam up.

i own a C9 and i never had any kind of problem it run very good, i have't clean it as i should, and to be honest, the only reason why i have't buy another is because it weight too much for a compact handgun.

if you want one, go and get it, they are very good handguns and hehehe...that's why my girl uses at the range ;) and she love it.

average_shooter
March 4, 2009, 02:25 PM
My problem(s) with one I had my hands on were that it (1) required a mallet and punch to "field strip" because you have to drive out a pin to do so, and (2) while doing so I bumped the slide with the punch (because (2a) it was an exercise in juggling to get that pin out) and the slide was dinged pretty good. Not unusable, or all that noticeable, but it seemed to me like the metal the slide was made out of was entirely too soft for gun mental.

Warranty aside, I couldn't trust a gun with such soft metal taking the beating of cycling rounds with a blowback action.

As always, YMMV.

broken
March 4, 2009, 02:38 PM
the local usually sells 4-5 a week 9mm and .45 a .40 here and there ,my brother and wife went for their 1st big bore home defense pistol they played with many and ended up with a jhp.45,its been fine my dad was just introduced to bigger bore handguns and even has a 9mm hi point.i hear more good then bad about em,but for starting out,"perfect".me and my brother passed a chrome lorcin .380 back and forth 15 years ago,it never failed to work,our cousin still has it-no problems.

dbarile
March 4, 2009, 02:53 PM
All I can say is my C9 has worked flawlessly out of the box. I'm not quite to 1000 rounds yet. I've had it since November.

I have never personally met anyone who owned one that did not like it. I'm not saying they're not out there, I just never met one.

Ugly? If you say so. Cheap? It was less than $150.00.

It felt really strange compared to my 1911.

It works. I load it. I shoot it. I clean it. Repeat.

I wish my CZ P01 was as reliable. It's been back twice.

PhiloebeddoUSA
March 4, 2009, 03:02 PM
Bought one for sister. Tested 50 rds, no prob. Has not been shot in a year.

Hope it won't get shot for another year.

Have no doubt that if she ever has to reach for it, it will go bang.

PT1911
March 4, 2009, 03:06 PM
personally I prefer taurus' warranty that will fix the gun, and pay shipping both ways if you do it right... I dont need 50 clips to a high poin laying around...now it they were sending me ammo for compensation... I would be all for it...

coachteet
March 4, 2009, 03:49 PM
Dang pt1911--you really hate hi-points!

PT1911
March 4, 2009, 03:57 PM
it isnt that I hate them, I think they have there place and do what is expected of them. It is just unfortunate that people feel they can fall back onto their warranty. problem is.. a 150 dollar gun quickly gets more expensive when you are paying the shipping to get it fixed. how much is the clip to a 150 dollar gun worth? correction... how much are 2 clips to a 150 dollar gun worth? not much... not worth the money that is continuously being spent to ship them back to hi-point.... want a lifetime warranty to fall back on, get a taurus.

once again, I dont hate them. I wouldnt own one if I could help it, but they do what the are supposed to and I am sure they have saved lives as a result... the warranty is just of no comfort...more of a money pit. but hey, you can always sell it later for 80 bucks and provide the proud new owner with a multitude of clips courtesy of hi-point.

spyderdude
March 4, 2009, 04:10 PM
My very first handgun ever was the Hi-Point .40 cal pistol, mostly because I liked the price, and knew little about handguns in general. It ran flawlessly through the 200 rounds I put through it, then I traded it for the Hi-Point C9 which wasn't much smaller. That is when I fell in love with the 9mm cartridge and eventually bought a Springfield Armory XD9.

Anyway Hi-Points are surprisingly accurate and I've heard more good things than bad things about them, and I didn't have any issues with the two I have owned. Hi-Point also comes with a lifetime warranty which is nice. Would I buy another one? Maybe their 9mm carbine, but I doubt I will ever buy another one of their pistols.

The way I see it, if a Hi-Point is the best your budget will allow, then by all means go for it. Having a Hi-Point beats having a Jennings-Bryco pistol, or going unarmed altogether IMO.

Carl N. Brown
March 4, 2009, 04:20 PM
Performance of 9mm Jennings especially over the long run makes the 9mm Hi Point look good.

lou60
March 4, 2009, 06:16 PM
I've had a C9 for a couple of years. It is not my carry gun but it is fun to shoot,reliable and accurate. I had my carry gun in the shop and used the C9 for my CCW class. The instructors wanted to know what the he77 is that when I started shooting. After the class they asked What did you say that gun was? They are heavy and ugly but thet shoot straight and shoot every time. Good for new shooters because weight tames the recoil. I don't plan on ever selling mine.

If you enjoyed reading about "Hi-points" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!