"Military" calibers in other countries?

PDA

Gearhead Jim
October 5, 2003, 12:13 AM
Some countries prohibit civilian possession of any gun in a military caliber, like .308 Winchester/7.62 NATO. This seems to be most common in Latin America, also Italy. Not common in Africa.
I'd like to build a light hunting bolt action in .308 Win, but can't figure out which countries would prohibit the gun. Does anyone have a list, or some personal experience with individual countries? Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about ""Military" calibers in other countries?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Triad
October 5, 2003, 01:51 AM
Your best bet would be to contact the embassies of the countries you intend to visit and get the info from them.

Sunray
October 5, 2003, 03:24 AM
Jim, you live in Illinois. Why do you care? Just curious. This forum has all kinds of African info. Among other slick stuff.
http://www.nookhill.com/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi

Gearhead Jim
October 5, 2003, 09:49 AM
Triad-
My experience is that the embassies often don't really know what the rules are, only people that count are customs when you arrive in the country. Sad but true.

Sunray-
Illinois is a good place to be FROM, especially for interesting hunting. Wife and I can travel cheaply, would like to mix in a little hunting sometimes. Thanks for the web link, I'll check that out.

If you enjoyed reading about ""Military" calibers in other countries?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!