Glock or XD

PDA

SHusky57
March 1, 2009, 10:37 AM
Do the numerous amount of safety devices on the XD (grip safety, optional thumb safety) actually make any significant effect on decreasing the possibility of accidental discharge?

I'm looking for a high-cap .45, polymer auto and my only concern with Glock is that it would be more prone to AD/ND if something ever got caught in the holster/trigger guard.

The XD with the grip safety and thumb safety is pretty similar to a 1911 set-up, and has 13 round capacity to boot. But I like the sights and feel of the Glock better (for now, that could change with practice).

If you enjoyed reading about "Glock or XD" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
jmr40
March 1, 2009, 11:30 AM
In my opinion grip safety's are silly and of no use. I see no reason for them to be on 1911's or any other gun.

A lot of people do not like a safety at all and think Glocks are just fine without them. I own, and like Glocks as well as 1911's, but would not mind seeing a 1911 type safety on the Glocks. I have not tried one of the XD safetys but think it has promise. About 6 months ago I tried one of the S&W 45's with the safety but did not like the way the safety operated. Sold it and still use my Glocks and 1911's.

I have tried the XD (no safety) and prefer the Glock personally. I think the XD is a good gun it is just that I like the way Glocks feel and shoot better. Give the XD a try. If you feel better with the safety and like the way it operates buy it.

aquapong
March 1, 2009, 12:00 PM
Oddly enough, my friend had a ND with an XD. I've owned 10 Glocks over the 8 years I've been shooting and haven't had a ND. That said, your safety is between your ears. Use that one and it doesn't matter what "safety" features the gun has on it.

sig228
March 1, 2009, 12:23 PM
....That said, your safety is between your ears. Use that one and it doesn't matter what "safety" features the gun has on it.

Well said.

Guillermo
March 1, 2009, 01:40 PM
I own one Glock and one XD. Both are outstanding but I prefer the XD.

While the grip safety is not required, the ergonomics are just better. I also like that you can easily discern if the chamber is full and the firearm cocked.

The main thing is that I shoot the XD better. I believe that hitting the target is job one and in my hand, the XD is superior.

All this said, my Glock is not for sale.

SHusky57
March 1, 2009, 01:49 PM
So do I go with the Glock 20 or 21? 10mm sounds way more cool than .45; but it's much harder to find.

What is the recoil difference between 10mm and 45? I've shot many calibers but not a 10mm. I would like to ideally get one full-size and one sub-compact....

I just picked up a Glock catalog and I can't even begin to make up my mind. So many choices!

But I really like the full-size 10mm/.45, and the sub-compact .45. .357 Sig also looks interesting, much smaller, but much faster - I just worry it would have too much muzzle flash especially coming out of a subcompact.

Heavy recoil doesn't bother me, but I can't shoot .357 magnum because the muzzle flash and supersonic crack make me feel physically disoriented. Okay, that's somewhat of an exaggeration, but I find .357 magnum completely unpleasant to shoot. .45 ACP and .300 Win Magnum are just fine with me though.

verdun59
March 1, 2009, 01:50 PM
Both are good but I traded my Glock for a XD. The XD felt better in hand and for whatever reason gave me better shot groups. However my CZ shoots better than either one.

cbailey
March 1, 2009, 09:04 PM
I've grown fond of my 9mm Glocks, and would have bought a G20 if the ergonomics were even remotely compatible with my hand. If you prefer the feel of the G20, I'd say go for it.

I have an XD45 which I also like, and is much better suited to me than a G20/21. But I don't think the XD45's "additional safety features" are a either boon or a detriment. The grip safety on my XD45 is invisible in operation in my hands, and may certainly help prevent a ND while holstering (with practice), but some people say they have issues reliably depressing grip safeties.

The loaded chamber indicator and striker status indicator on the XD really don't provide much if any benefit over the Glock (Glock's extractor position provides chamber status and trigger position provides striker status).

I'd say either Glock or XD are fine choices and pick the one that seem more "right" to you. As far as G20 vs G21, personally, I'd go .45 acp unless you hand load or plan to hand load your own ammunition. Even in better times in my area, 10mm was hard to find. But if you hand load, the 10mm does provide a lot of options.

Wonder9
March 1, 2009, 09:48 PM
...more prone to AD/ND if ...

I always thought it was UD (unintentional discharge).

So, we have....
1. UD - unintentional discharge
2. AD - accidental discharge
3. ND - "not-my-fault" discharge? :o
4. _D - ??

WRGADog
March 1, 2009, 09:48 PM
I jsut don't like Glocks despite the fact they are very good guns. I own a XD45c, XD9sc, and XDM. They are superb guns, extremely reliable, very accurate, and easy to maintain. I also like the fact that they have a grip safety along with the trigger safety. That said, XD's (45c and 9sc) are somewhat thicker than the Glock and a thus bit more difficult to conceal. I would also look at the Beretta PX4 Storm, another great gun.

chuckusaret
March 1, 2009, 10:49 PM
I vote XD40 sub compact. I'm a skinny guy and carry mine in IWB at one o'clock or in a elastic type armpit holster, similar to a belly wrap, with no problem.

Brutz
March 1, 2009, 10:57 PM
I got an xd and love it. The grip safety isn't too bad for me, because the dang thing fits my hand perfectly. Plus my wife likes to shoot it too.:D

ArmedBear
March 1, 2009, 11:01 PM
XD for me.

Points a lot more naturally in my hand. Glock feels awkward.

Since I started shotgunning, I've been a lot pickier about natural pointing. If I have to adjust myself to the gun, I don't want the gun. The XD fits me, so that's my preference.

(The grip safety may not be "necessary" but it does offer protection against something other than your finger pulling the trigger. This can hardly be a bad thing.)

SHusky57
March 1, 2009, 11:16 PM
WRAGDog, I have a PX4 in 9mm. I love it. The guys at the biggest gun shop down here constantly rag on Beretta, but I have yet to find a flaw other than the safety, which is a minor complaint.

I may just stick with my PX4 - I am just always interested in trying new things.

With that said, the PX4 points extremely well for me. I pull it up and the front sight is always where I want it to be.

Beretta makes the PX4 in a subcompact variation as well as in a .45 variation that may meet my needs. I have also been looking at their older cougar designs, which include a .45 subcompact cougar.

ArmedBear
March 1, 2009, 11:27 PM
the PX4 points extremely well for me. I pull it up and the front sight is always where I want it to be.

After basic reliability, this is the most important characteristic I can think of, in a firearm.

Practice can familiarize you with DA/SA, various safeties, trigger pull, etc. But if a gun doesn't point naturally, it will always be a hindrance.:)

chupacabrah
March 1, 2009, 11:34 PM
I love both. and the M&P.

they are all very similar, so it's hardly worth going back and forth about.
Pick what is the most comfortable for you and what you shoot the best.

Honestly I can pick up any one of the 3 mentioned and shoot them about the same, I can't really tell a difference.

The XD is a little bigger than the glock, by fractions of an inch.

FYI I have a G26. my wife has an xd9sc. I used to have an m&p full size (sold it to get the g26)

David E
March 1, 2009, 11:38 PM
ND stands for NEGLIGENT DISCHARGE.

Very few are really "accidents"

1SOW
March 2, 2009, 12:59 AM
Verdun +2

I don't have much experience with Glock., but both XD and Glock are reliable guns.

What works for you is the best one.

The XD has about the same grip angle as the 1911. I prefer that.
Past XD breakdown included pulling the trigger. I didn't like that.
The new Ms don't require the trigger pull to break down. I like that..

Glock parts and accessories are EVERYWHERE and cheap. I like that.

Guillermo
March 2, 2009, 01:09 AM
Past XD breakdown included pulling the trigger. I didn't like that

same thing with Glock

PT1911
March 2, 2009, 01:14 AM
springfield took what glock did long ago and improved on it. the added safety features, the increased comfort, and the shootability of the gun are superior in every way to all but those who think glock is GOD.... Glock was surpassed long ago. I agree that your safety should be your brain, but unfurtunately, everyone who carries a gun is not all that bright, and who can put down a grip safety and not the trigger "safety". yes I know it is a drop safety, and I know the XD has one, but it also has others.

TG13
March 2, 2009, 02:32 AM
XD.. i have one, and i like it.. alot..

Prince Yamato
March 2, 2009, 02:37 AM
I'm looking for a high-cap .45, polymer auto and my only concern with Glock is that it would be more prone to AD/ND if something ever got caught in the holster/trigger guard.

The grip safety on the XD is worthless. It's more of a placebo than a safety. So, once you take that out, you basically have two guns that operate VERY similarly.

I came around about a year ago to realizing that manual safeties were basically a false sense of security.

To answer your question though, a Glock won't "go off" nor will anything "get in the trigger guard" in a holster. Consider that the Glock's trigger guard is wider than the trigger and that the trigger safety is something like 2mm wide. The actual Glock trigger itself is rather small and it would take quite a lot to get something in the trigger guard to engage it. Even with the 3.5lb connector, the Glock can balance itself on an active trigger and not go off. In addition, the overall weight balance of the Glock causes the gun to roll forward if you suspend it on your finger by the trigger.

So ultimately, pick whichever one feels better to you.

springfield took what glock did long ago and improved on it.

Umm... no they didn't. The gun was made in Croatia as the HS 2000. All Springfield did was stamp their name on it. The XD arrived on our shores as a cheaper Glock alternative during the AWB. The XD took modified Beretta 92 mags (which cost $30 during the AWB) vs. Glock mags, where were upwards of $80.

punkndisorderly
March 2, 2009, 07:39 AM
The only time I miss having a manual safety is when I'm not holster carrying. For example, during the week I keep as a car gun. I don't feel comfortable having it sitting in the seat next to me with a round in the chamber since nothing is protecting the real safety: the trigger.

One of the reasons I prefer the Glock is that there is no safety to have to remember to disengage under stress or engage afterwards.

Guillermo
March 2, 2009, 10:58 AM
One of the reasons I prefer the Glock is that there is no safety to have to remember to disengage under stress or engage afterwards.

such is true of the XD as well

Gungnir
March 2, 2009, 11:13 AM
The grip safety on the XD is worthless. It's more of a placebo than a safety. So, once you take that out, you basically have two guns that operate VERY similarly.

Yes once you're holding the XD in firing position the Grip safety is disengaged until you're in Firing position it's engaged though. You're not going to get stats that say "the Grip Safety stopped this AD" but I'd not say its worthless. I don't think it's a placebo either, ergonomic design is created to make the user feel like they're just doing things normally, which this does.

Here's a test if the Grip safety is useless. Get a piece of dowel, get your loaded Glock and XD, Put the Dowel through the trigger guard, and holding the Muzzle push back the trigger. Which would you prefer to choose?

PT1911
March 2, 2009, 12:18 PM
take a glock apart and an xd apart next to each other. the function is essentially the same, a springfield is capable of weathering any torture test <and has> that a glock can. the Durability factor has been matched. glock's "funny" angle, to say the least has plagued even those who support glocks. the Xd's more 1911 angle generally improves accuracy in most shooters. if you dont think a safety is necessary, carry a single action revolver cocked and loaded.. see how long that lasts.

ArmedBear
March 2, 2009, 12:58 PM
BTW for those who say that a grip safety is superfluous...

Have you ever considered that things break?

The reason a 1911 has two major safeties is twofold:

1. The thumb safety can be flicked to "Fire" easily.
2. Either safety could break.

Things break.

The grip safety provides for the possibility that the trigger will be pulled by a shirt or other object, or a spring might break. The sear can break. Lots of parts can be blocked by dirt, or jam, or break. Engineering can significantly increase the margin of safety, should any of these things occur.

That "safety between your ears" is vitally important. You can take a well-designed gun with multiple safety features, and still simply pull the trigger and fire it. Obviously, you have to think.

However, mechanical failure is also possible, and guarding against it with multiple systems is also vitally important.

Butter
March 2, 2009, 01:17 PM
I just like the angles of the XDs better than the Glocks. And I know, the safety is between the ears, but I have been in a defensive pistol class using one of my XDs and did find as I holstered my weapon that a shirt tail got caught in the holster. Not saying that there could or would have been an ND, but the grip safety....I don't consider it superfulous.

JonB
March 2, 2009, 03:06 PM
I've got one of each - XD9 and a Glock 20. I like the XD ergonomics better (grip angle) as it fits my hand better.

As far as the Glock 20 vs 21 - I like 10mm better than .45 so I went with the 20. In terms of recoil they are very similar. My buddy has a 21 and I didn't notice much difference. The 20 and 21 use the same frame.

Now if Springfield would make an XD in 10mm, life would be grand.

A.K.A.
March 2, 2009, 03:24 PM
I have an XD .40. How did I decide? Every article I could find four years ago gave the XD favorable reviews.

Go to the store, hold and dry fire both. Pick the one you like.

The XD pointed well right away. I liked the grip, and the other features. Best of all it was significantly cheaper.

I have been extremely pleased with it. This past weekend I qualified for my CWP in SC, 50 shots on target in the rain -- no jams, malfunctions, or accidental discharges.

awg1203r
March 2, 2009, 04:27 PM
They both shoot and function great. I like the glock better. the trigger safty is enough, the chance that something would get in your holster and properly press against the trigger and trigger saftey is quite unlikely. Having a bunch of safties is nice for peace of mind but I think that's all. I read that Glock guarantees that their guns will not fire if dropped or hit. The XD's have a 50% chance of AD in testing. Don't drop your damn gun anyway I say. get what feels for you to operate.

SCKimberFan
March 2, 2009, 04:38 PM
Both are good but I traded my Glock for a XD. The XD felt better in hand and for whatever reason gave me better shot groups. However my CZ shoots better than either one.

Similar experience here. I had a Glock, I have an XD. I carry a CZ.

ATAShooter
March 2, 2009, 04:40 PM
Had a Glock 19, 26 and a 36. Sold all 3 and got an XD45...Haven't looked back....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v326/ATAShooter/100_0438.jpg

stalkingbear
March 2, 2009, 05:35 PM
These guys that CLAIM a grip safety is useless crack me up. They're also scary in that they're likely dangerous around guns since they apparently don't know the operation of pistols well. Especially the poster talking about grip safetys not needed on 1911s. I'd be willing to bet HE don't carry his 1911 in condition 1, which I doubt he even owns in the 1st place. I'd also like to learn HOW someone had a accidental discharge with an Springfield XD with it being fault of the gun & not the shooter.

the guy that CLAIMED XDs go off when dropped 50% of the time is either don't have a clue about them, or is downright LYING-and probably BOTH.

Gungnir
March 2, 2009, 07:17 PM
To awg1203r

The XD's have a 50% chance of AD in testing. Don't drop your damn gun anyway I say. get what feels for you to operate.

Could you post a link to the data showing this. It concerns me since I have the XDm40, and since it explicitly states the XDm has a drop safety, this should be a recall class fault. Plus Dropping the XD would result in the Grip Safety being engaged too, so I can't see how this results in a 50% AD on a drop.

Thanks

AKElroy
March 2, 2009, 07:36 PM
I own both & trust both. The quality of each is comparable, with the XD maybe getting the quality nod w/ more steel bits. (sights, guide rod, trigger, mag release) so this really comes down to what you shoot well and what you enjoy shooting. Since both are reliable, accurate pistols, it is OK to have other factors like appearence swing the decision. To me, the SD (particularly the XDm) just looks better.

AKElroy
March 2, 2009, 07:48 PM
They both shoot and function great. I like the glock better. the trigger safty is enough, the chance that something would get in your holster and properly press against the trigger and trigger saftey is quite unlikely. Having a bunch of safties is nice for peace of mind but I think that's all. I read that Glock guarantees that their guns will not fire if dropped or hit. The XD's have a 50% chance of AD in testing. Don't drop your damn gun anyway I say. get what feels for you to operate.

I used to agree with the grip safety being superfluous, but I changed my mind when I stupidly dropped my keys in the same front pocket as my g27. After wrestling around trying to free up my keys, I had one of those Wiley Coyote moments when he was standing under a truckload of rock poking it with a stick. War grip safeties. As for the AD's in the Xd's, this is the first I've heard of it--I too would love to see evidence for that.

AKElroy
March 2, 2009, 07:57 PM

I used to agree with the grip safety being superfluous, but I changed my mind when I stupidly dropped my keys in the same front pocket as my g27. After wrestling around trying to free up my keys, I had one of those Wile E. Coyote moments when he was standing under a truckload of rock poking it with a stick. War grip safeties.

10-Ring
March 2, 2009, 10:45 PM
I have more than 10,000 intentionally fired rounds spread across several Glock pistols and would pick it hands down, every time over the XD. IMO, the best safety is the one between your ears ;)

goose2
March 2, 2009, 11:24 PM
I would take either if they were givin to me but if I were to buy one it would be a XD.

30mag
March 2, 2009, 11:46 PM
I'll say this: no matter what safety features a firearm has, rarely are AD/ND caused by mechanical failure. That means human error.
I don't think either has superior safety features to the other.
+1 for the safety being between your ears.
+1 for CZ.

daveit
March 3, 2009, 01:01 AM
I like them both, but the XD just fits my hand better. More 1911-ish I guess.

louie19
March 3, 2009, 01:34 AM
SHusky57: I've got 2 Glocks and was not impressed by an XD9 that I shot at a rental range that apparently was never cleaned and kept having double feeds and failure to ejects. That shouldn't be a problem if you're a good gun owner and clean/lube your guns.

If you're that worried about an AD, I say go for the peace of mind and get the XDM that has the thumb safety along with the grip safety. Just make sure that you practice with it enough that you flip the thumb safety to fire and engage the grip safety properly.

As far as the sights on a Glock, I wouldn't keep those on for long. They're plastic and not really the best. Most people change the sights on a Glock but the rest you can keep the same.

If Glock feels better to you, then that's an important consideration. Also the striker status indicator will be staring you in the face which can be distracting. I think the XD did feel pretty good in the hand and the XDM has interchangeable grip backstraps which could make it feel better.

If you go with a Glock, make sure you get good holsters that cover the trigger guard and be careful with holstering it - just like you should be with any gun.

ATAShooter: Nice license plate!

SHusky57
March 3, 2009, 02:08 AM
Conclusion:
I did the smart thing. I went to the gun range and shot four .45s. A Sig 220, a S&W 1911, a Glock 21 and a Glock 30.

The Beretta was out. It's a great shooter, but the safety can be really troublesome, especially when drawing from a thumbreak holster. 1/50 or so draws I end up failing to disengage it.

Sig and Beretta are also great, but I was shooting fliers on the DA shot. Normally with consistent practice it's not a problem, but I don't have the funds or time to go the range frequently (but I do have inclination).

Next, I tried a Glock 21, a Glock 30, and a 1911.

I loved both. The reason? consistent, light trigger pull. I like the blocky Glock sights better for a defensive pistol, they are very easy to acquire on the fast. It was a very difficult choice but I chose the G30SF for now, simply because a) I shot it really well, b) it's smaller and lighter than a 1911, so I can CCW, c) When I get a G21, the mags will be compatible d) much less maintenance intensive than a 1911.

I would have bought a G22 with night sights and 3 mags for $475 (LEO/Military discount) but I just have never really got a hankering for a .40 cal. I guess I am a 9mm or .45 guy, although I am gradually opening up.

When I first got into shooting, I swore I would never get Glock combat tupperware. They were faddish, conformist, non-individualistic, and lacked personality. But the sunsa-beesknees just plain work.

I am still scared to carry with one in the chamber, but I am going to do what I did to work up to it in the Beretta. Carry with snap caps chambered around the house, move up to carry with ammo in the house, and finally to full CCW.

But this I have to say above all. Yeah it sucks I spent $100 trying out a bunch of different pistols. But it is so worth it. Worth more than every gun mag ever written.

And my hands/eyes must be really weird. I think the XD has a weird grip angle and the Glock is very normal

chupacabrah
March 3, 2009, 08:46 AM
everybody's hands/eyes are different. glad you found something you liked, and since you spent the money to try everything out, you know you won't be disappointed.

Pics?

Oh, why did you like the sights on the baby glock better? just wondering.

AKElroy
March 3, 2009, 09:19 AM
If you're that worried about an AD, I say go for the peace of mind and get the XDM that has the thumb safety along with the grip safety.

Nope--The XDm does not have a thumb safety; it is an option on the XD Service. As for the safety being "between the ears", I agree completely. I also know that that safety is imperfect on occassion, and having an extra margin of safety is not a bad thing when the brain goes on hiatus.

Just One Shot
March 3, 2009, 10:32 AM
For me, it was the XD in .40 cal.

It's as good as a Glock, cost less and better looking! :neener:

Gamera
March 3, 2009, 11:38 AM
When I was trying to chose a gun for concealed carry I went to the range pretty sure I wanted to get a Glock (based on their reputation and whatnot). I tried a G26. It was ok. I then tried a S&W M&Pc. It was better. I then tried an XDsc. It won hands down.

sohcgt2
March 3, 2009, 11:51 AM
I considered an XD but didn't like the trigger, I prefer the short reset on the Glock.

Gungnir
March 3, 2009, 05:38 PM
Interesting I chose the XDm 40 versus Glock 22 and Sig 229, for a couple of reasons.

I really, really wanted to like the Glock, but in comparison between a Sig, XDm, and Glock in 40S&W the XDm won out, it shoots more naturally for me Sig came next then the Glock, I was always low with the Glock. My test is point and shoot the target 10 yards away, not deliberately sighting, fire 5 rounds and check your hits and spread.

I preferred the action and Trigger on the XDm more than the Glock too, reset I found shorter on the XDm and the trigger pull felt slightly lighter than the standard Glock, Sig obviously was lighter (but not much) in SA, but much heavier in DA. The only complaint I had with the Sig was the decocking Lever, that I kept hitting rather than the Slide release :uhoh: and the Higher Cap of the XDm, but when the race is that closely run, then the ergo's help decide.

phantom82
March 3, 2009, 05:49 PM
XD wasn't popular until Springfield put their name on it. Enough said.

Hanafuda
March 3, 2009, 06:15 PM
phantom82 wrote:
XD wasn't popular until Springfield put their name on it. Enough said.

Actually, I recall the HS2000 was getting to be a rather popular item over on the glocktalk boards in the months before Springfield bought it up. But it wasn't an easy pistol to find since I don't think they were coming into the US in large numbers, and I doubt there was much in the way of a warranty or customer service. Those kind of 'legitimizing' factors make a difference to customers about to spend hundreds on something.

Anyway, as for the OP's topic, I'm planning to spend the next few years deciding between the XD and the M&P. Glocks are fine if they feel right and fit ... for me they don't.

SHusky57
March 3, 2009, 06:52 PM
I don't have a digi cam, and even if I did, my Glock 30 looks just like all the other glocks :neener:

I didn't pick the 30 because it had better sights than the 21, but just more versatility. Since I was moving into a new system and caliber (striker fired .45s from DA 9mms), I figured my first purchase should be as multi-role as possible. My wife said I could only get one, so until next year's tax return, it will have to hold. The 21 would probably be a much better shooter, but much more limited for CCW. The Glock shape prints a lot more than my Beretta does, so that's -1 point for the blocky glocky.

I will try to pick up two 13 round mags soon though. That way if I get a 21 later and they have are mandating 10 rounders only, I will still have 13 rounders. Plus, the 13-rd magazines work in the 30.

I really want a Glock 20 as well. Just for novelty sake. But I don't have $600 for novelties right now.

I'm still scared of the lack of safety. It's like a revolver, except the trigger pull is about half and the length of pull is about half. I swear, these things are much more along the lines of a single action than a double.

Does anyone know of any cases where someone got something stuck in their holster? Just for experiment sake, I put in snap caps and holstered with my finger in the trigger guard. *Click* went the striker. I am guessing that is where 90% of Glock ND's come from.... lesson, always keep your finger out of the trigger guard until ready to fire. :)

The Glock is a great pistol, and it is much easier to master than anything else out there, but would it be accurate to say that it is unforgiving of human error and negligence?

yosarian
March 3, 2009, 07:55 PM
I own both and prefer the glock.

chupacabrah
March 3, 2009, 08:15 PM
The Glock is a great pistol, and it is much easier to master than anything else out there, but would it be accurate to say that it is unforgiving of human error and negligence?

I think that's pretty true of any gun....

Keep your finger off the trigger!

possum
March 5, 2009, 03:46 AM
i have owned both glock and xd, i have an xd service model with over 12,000rds i couldn't be happier, and it is my go every where do everything gun, i like glocks and i shoot them but there is nothing better for me than my xd.

Just One Shot
March 5, 2009, 05:10 PM
Glock :barf:

:neener:

XD :)

:D

PT1911
March 5, 2009, 05:11 PM
XD... no doubt... capable of everything the Glock is and more at a better price.

janobles14
March 5, 2009, 05:17 PM
xd for me. similar action and "reliability" but points MUCH better for me

DawgFvr
March 6, 2009, 01:43 AM
I'll take Austria over Croatia every time.

RockyMtnTactical
March 6, 2009, 01:57 AM
I prefer the Glock all the way around.

sarduy
March 6, 2009, 02:08 AM
do the numerous amount of safety devices on the xd (grip safety, optional thumb safety) actually make any significant effect on decreasing the possibility of accidental discharge?

*** finger off the trigger, untill ready to shoot ***

76shuvlinoff
March 6, 2009, 07:19 PM
shot both
both work
bought XD

Ridgerunner665
March 7, 2009, 01:03 AM
I bought my wife this XD 45 Compact...after shooting it, I liked it so much that I bought me an XD 45 Compact Tactical (bought them both the same week)

The wife's
http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc137/Ridgerunner665/127_2781.jpg

Mine
http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc137/Ridgerunner665/XDTactical.jpg

Mine has seen more 45 Super rounds than it has 45acp...the fully supported chamber was a selling point...along with the grip, accuracy, and reliability.

357sigRog
March 7, 2009, 03:41 AM
Glock all the way:)

Gryffydd
March 7, 2009, 03:52 AM
do the numerous amount of safety devices on the xd (grip safety, optional thumb safety) actually make any significant effect on decreasing the possibility of accidental discharge?
*** finger off the trigger, untill ready to shoot ***

You know that's not really the point of a grip safety, right? A grip safety is there to prevent an ND while holstering and other situations where you're not holding the gun in a firing grip.

I don't think it makes a substantial difference in overall safety, but it's comforting to know that the gun won't fire unless I'm at least holding it like I'm ready to shoot. The grip safety also prevents the slide from traveling.

dudester
March 7, 2009, 08:39 PM
I am thinking about the same thing- Glock vs XD and mybe M&P. I rented a Glock 19 at the range today and to my surprise I LOVED it. It felt good in the hand and I shot it really well. My wife didn't like it so much and she likes my Taurus 24/7 .40 better. I was ready to buy the G19 right there on the spot but I didn't. I am hoping to rent an XD next week and try it out.

shooter1
March 7, 2009, 09:38 PM
Both are good pistols. My preference is the Glock. A couple of show stoppers for the XD is the lack of parts availability and the high bore axis. Glocks are my "Go To" pistols. Should the need arise, I can replace any part in the pistol using no more than a nail for tools. That is If & When something breaks. Factory and aftermarket parts are plentiful and cheap. Something to think about for the future-----------:what:
str1

If you enjoyed reading about "Glock or XD" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!