Kahr PM9 Generations

PDA

gwlammers
March 1, 2009, 10:17 AM
Does anyone know what the different generations are for the Kahr PM9?

1) How many generations are there?
2) What serial numbers represent which generation?
3) What are the changes / advancements made with each generation?

Thanks. GL

PS. Sorry if this has already been discussed. I searched for 20 minutes and could not find anything.

If you enjoyed reading about "Kahr PM9 Generations" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
jocko
March 1, 2009, 12:11 PM
u go to glocktalk.com and hit on the kahr site, and in the frist few sticky's it will have serial numbers that you can go to and see the dates of birth of kahrs.

Not sure a in house change dictates a generation change. The PM9 today look like the PM9 5 years ago etc but they have made some in house changes that we probably don't know about. So the best advice I could give you in the PM9 series is to look for a new gun with the IA prefix serial number . that is the very latest one out. Mine is the VC prefix and it was made in the era of around 2007 and it has 18,700 flawless rounds through it. I see no changes in it than the new ones. although I have noticed they have went to a metal mag catch and the slide lock lever is tapered on one end. cosmeticallay they are the same.

Good luck, just shoot it like u stole it. Kahrs today are selling like hot cakes, so my bet is any decent dealer that has any in stock will have the latest versions made to..

PM sent...

The Lone Haranguer
March 1, 2009, 07:07 PM
There have been small engineering changes made, but there are not distinct "generations" as you would find on, say, Glocks or Smith & Wesson metal-frames.

jocko
March 1, 2009, 09:05 PM
u got that right. I know a few years back they changed the size of the PM9 recoil rod base from 3/8" to 1/2". (the part that touches the barrel lug) but this is a replacement part that anyone can buy for their older style PM9.

I know on the latest IA**** versions out that the side plate is now held on by a #6 torx screw (same size as the slide lock lever spring,) The screw replaces the pin that has been used to hold the side plate in place. Why they made that change is beyond me. as I have never ever even had my side plate off in 18,700 rounds. Really no need to take that plate off either. All kahrs today have a metal mag catch which one can replace himself if he has the polymer one and feels the need to. Most people do not realize that your polymer release has a molded steel lip in it that makes contact with the magazine. So IMO if your polymer mag release has given no isses, LEAVE IT ALONE. Also the slide lock lever is now tapered on one end to be easier on the thumb. A dremel tool can do what kahr did, if you have the regualr style more blocky slide lock lever. One can really taper that entire slide lock alot and reduce it's size by about 1/3rd without loosing anything but gaining nice contoured looks. being the slide lock leer is stainless, one can just polish it out even...

If you enjoyed reading about "Kahr PM9 Generations" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!