Stevens 14 1/2 Little Scout part


March 1, 2009, 12:23 PM
Maybe someone can help me out here. I have a Stevens 14 1/2 Little Scout in better than average shape. It was my fathers rifle when he was young and now I'm watching over it for him. I'm looking for the knurled knob that is used to cock it. He lost it years ago and replaced it with a straight rod and locked it on with a hex nut. I'm going to try and post a pic from Gunbroker to show what it looks like. Does anyone know where I might locate one of these?

If you enjoyed reading about "Stevens 14 1/2 Little Scout part" here in archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join today for the full version!
March 1, 2009, 03:39 PM
I have the same rifle that was also missing that part. They are simply not available. I found a similar knob somewhere (I don't recall now as it was 20 years ago) that screwed in and worked. Not original but it worked. You might be able to find something in a hardware store that will work. A small drawer pull or something like that.

March 1, 2009, 04:36 PM
Thanks Saxon. I mainly want to make it look more original. The neat little rifle has a lot more sentimental value to me than anything it could be worth dollar wise. I even thought about leaving it as issince my dad put the pin in there but I know he would smile looking down at me trying to fix it up a bit. It makes for a great conversation piece mounted way up high in the kitchen cathredral ceiling wall. I'll be looking for a makeshift part that I can make look more original.

rust collector
March 1, 2009, 04:46 PM
Some of the devices that affix to a hammer to enable scope use on a gun sport a similar knurled knob. It might be possible to modify, or to to cut the knob off and braze or otherwise affix to the threaded rod that is already in place.

If you take the rod out and measure the diameter and pitch, you may even find a setscrew or capscrew that will be a reasonable facsimile. Then use thread locker, as these either had a tendency to loosen or were commonly robbed to use in other applications.

Can't tell from your picture, but may also be used to retain the firing pin. In that case you would need to be careful to get the length right.

March 1, 2009, 06:26 PM
That's a good point Rust Collector. I never thought about the firing pin. The pic is one I got off GunBroker just to show what I think is the right part. I'll keep looking as I search the hardware store for Saxon's idea. Thanks.

rust collector
March 1, 2009, 07:01 PM
I wonder if these guys might have something close?

Brian Williams
March 1, 2009, 07:03 PM
I am missing the one on mine also.
I got a firing pin from Dixie Gun works a while back.

February 13, 2010, 03:21 PM
I have the same rifle but somewhat of an opposite need. Is the knurled knob threaded into the breech block or pressed in? I need to replace the firing pin and do not want to damage the knob in the process.

Thanks guys!

Brian Williams
February 13, 2010, 05:34 PM
It is pressed, there is no threads on either of mine.

Uncle Mike
February 13, 2010, 07:42 PM

You mean one of these?

or one of these?

February 13, 2010, 11:41 PM
I am referring to the knurled knob shown in your top picture...the one used to open the breech block. The bottom picture shows the take down knob which is threaded. Thanks for using the illustrations.

February 14, 2010, 10:15 AM
I used a knob that I found at a hardware store. No idea what it was designed for but it screwed right into the gun and looks like it grew there. It is the same length as the original, but the knob head is slightly smaller in diameter. Looks good and if you didn't know what the original exactly looked like you wouldn't realize it wasn't correct.

Don't know how well you can see it, but here's the rifle with the hardware store handle on it.

If you enjoyed reading about "Stevens 14 1/2 Little Scout part" here in archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join today for the full version!