March 2009 Rimfire Match!

PDA

gvnwst
March 1, 2009, 06:14 PM
This one is open to any and EVERY 22 caliber rimfire rifle including 22 mag. This match is meant to be challenging and FUN. Hopefully it will get you out to the range and shooting your rifle.

You may enter with multiple rifles.

Print this target:

http://www.reloadbench.com/pdf/files/Inside%20Out%20Game.pdf

Scoring
Take ONE shot at each dot, for a total of 15 shots. The hole touching or inside largest dot is worth one point. The slightly smaller dot below it is worth 2 points, the dot below it is worth 3 points, the dot below it is worth 4 points and the smallest dot on the bottom is worth 5 points. 45 total points are possible.

And to make this a little more interesting... IF ALL five shots in one of the vertical columns are CLEARLY FULLY inside the black a bonus of 10 extra points per column will be awarded. 30 possible bonus points + 45 = perfect 75 score

Range
25 yards for iron sights and non-magnified optics and red dots

50 yards for any Scope or Magnified sighting device.

Position Any

Additional Categories we can hammer out what is what if there is any doubt.
-Unlimited/Target Rifles
-Sporting Class Bolts and single shots
-Autoloaders
-Pumps
-Levers

When you are satisfied you've done your best email a picture of your target to me for scoring with the following information. justsaymo@hotmail.com

-Forum name or name you want posted in the results
-Rifle, make, model, vintage if known
-Sights
-Ammo
-Position
-Distance
-Conditions (outdoors, windy, temperature...)

If unable to email a picture you may mail the target to me as well. PM for an address.

Last month, NO ONE got a perfect score, lets try to change that now..:D

Thanks to justsaymo for the rules!

If you enjoyed reading about "March 2009 Rimfire Match!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
gotime242
March 1, 2009, 07:02 PM
Cool! I was just thinking about starting a march thread, thanks!

I did horrible last month, hopefully i can change that.

gvnwst
March 1, 2009, 07:41 PM
Me too, i did pitifully...:(

P51D
March 1, 2009, 08:52 PM
WooHoo! Here we go again!! :D

Walkalong
March 1, 2009, 09:03 PM
Hmmm, I'll have to break out the 39A. This will be fun. :)

gvnwst
March 1, 2009, 09:15 PM
I love the enthusiam, the thread is only 3 hours old, and we have 3 people (other than mee) allready wanting to do it! Keep it up people!:D:D

kds99
March 1, 2009, 10:38 PM
I will take a shot at this next time im at the range

Schleprok62
March 1, 2009, 11:45 PM
Well, I got to the range and will add pics here shortly... Took the Remington Model Five and the Glenfield Model 25... Did ok with the Glenfiled for first time out... trigger is kinda "ehh... could be a little better..."
http://www.photohost.org/gallery/data/500/2783Marlin25fedblk-med.jpg
I score a 33.
Marlin Glenfield Model 25, 4x scope, Federal bulk HP's bench, 50 yds

Model Five I think I did better than alright... I'll get out with it again though... I want to get the Browning into this also, and will eventually have a submission for the semi-auto field also... :D
http://www.photohost.org/gallery/data/500/2783RemFiveFedblk-med.jpg
I score a 40...
Remington Model Five, 3-9x40, Federal Bulk HP's, bench, 50 yds

Cheers...

1858rem
March 2, 2009, 01:26 AM
if my holes start lookin really small its cuz i decided to break out the .204 lol jus kiddin an hope i do better this time, i plan on a 75 still but hope to at minimum get 2 all in a row an make due with 20 bonus pts.....we are getting snowed in an illl have till 4
pm tomorrow to get a new target up. GOT MORE INK Yayyyy!

1858rem
March 2, 2009, 01:29 AM
i still wanna see some .17hmr/hm2 pics

is there a thread for that yet?

gvnwst
March 2, 2009, 10:42 AM
Check if Clint C has made one...? EDIT: I can't find that he did yet, but he said today. You will just have to wait:neener::p:D EDIT (again): Here it is!:
http://thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=432185

It is still REALLY cold here (for KY that is) so i can't get out front and shoot without my shivering throwing the gun off...:D:D

paulhayden
March 3, 2009, 02:51 AM
I think I'll just have to try this one. I just got several new (to me) .22's that need to be tried out. A Winchester model 67 that cleaned up real nice, a Marlin 39A (1953 model), a Marlin model 60, and maybe even my old Winchester model 1904 (single shot bolt--old gun that has been in my family since new!).
Also a real nice Marlin model 783 .22 magnum that is pretty tight shooting!
What the heck--good idea! thanks for the opportunity!

gotime242
March 3, 2009, 10:01 AM
So just to clarify, they just have have to TOUCH to get normal points on all of them, but all have to be fully INSIDE for the extra 10?

Schleprok62
March 3, 2009, 10:11 AM
gotime242: Yes, that is my understanding...

I may head down to the range and have submissions for two other rifles today... LOL... by golly, I'm gonna win braggin' rights to something!!! (even if it's for most variation of submissions...) LOL...

Cheers...

gvnwst
March 3, 2009, 10:30 AM
So just to clarify, they just have have to TOUCH to get normal points on all of them, but all have to be fully INSIDE for the extra 10?
Yep.

Schleprok62--I can't wait to see what the T-Bolt will do!

Schleprok62
March 3, 2009, 11:13 AM
I can't wait to see what the T-Bolt will do!

gvnwst: hehe... me too...

gvnwst
March 4, 2009, 11:55 PM
While i am bumping threads.......

Schleprok62
March 5, 2009, 12:35 AM
With the Remington 597 and the Browning T-bolt. I personally was not having one of my better days, but I muddled through it... these are the results...

The Remington 597: 4x32 Barska, 50 yds, Rem Goldens. Score: 33

http://www.photohost.org/gallery/data/500/2783597-1a-med.jpg

And now, the moment some of us have been waiting for.... <drumroll please> :cool:

The Browning debuts with a 40... ugh... it could very well have been better, but again, I was not "on" this day... Funny thing, is it seems to love the Federal bulk stuff, but I did the best shoot with it with the Remmy Goldens... go figure... Got about 26 days to get back out with it... and considering it's not broke in, I'd have to say it's only going to get better...

http://www.photohost.org/gallery/data/500/2783T-Bolt-1a-med.jpg
Browning T-Bolt, 4-12x40 Bushnell Banner (set to 6x), 50 yds, Rem Goldens. Score: 40

Now just to let you all know how I came to give myself a 40, instead of a 35. I took a .223 bullet and gently set it in the hole left in the paper... figuring it would self center and tell me if the bullet diameter hit the black... if it is deamed by the powers that be that this is not a legit way to make this determination, I will accept a 35 without arguement... :)

http://www.photohost.org/gallery/data/500/2783223-hole-med.jpg

Cheers...

Tom

P.S. For those wondering... The Browning, so far does not like CCI mini mags. This is the first 22 I've ever had that specifically does not like them...:confused:

kd7nqb
March 5, 2009, 05:12 AM
So I am going to do this one in a little different way. First I am going to do it with my girlfriends Break action Rossi youth and then I am going to do it with my new (to me) ruger Mark II. I say since this is a .22lr match there should be a handgun division as well.

gvnwst
March 5, 2009, 10:31 AM
Schleprok62 --nice shooting again! I was about to say your target looked SO much like mine from last month, and would be only 35, but you did prove it, I'll accept that. I might get out today, but i doubt it, but it is coming, you wait and see!:p:D

halfded
March 6, 2009, 05:10 PM
45 here, gonna give it another go again soon.

http://i625.photobucket.com/albums/tt332/halfdedsphoto/Marchrimfirematch.jpg

Halfded
Ruger 10/22 with all the fixins
Barska 3-13X scope
Remington target ammo, lead round nose
Benchrest, caldwell bag set
25 yards, target size reduced by half. (I don't have 50yds to work with, was told this would be fair)
50-something, sunny, light wind with gusts.

Clint C
March 7, 2009, 12:43 AM
In theory half sizing the target, and shooting it at 25 yards would be fair, but you don't have the wind pushing your bullet at 25 yards like you do at 50 yards. So I don't think it really is fair. JMHO

Just curious if you are shooting a rifle at twenty-five yards and don't have room for fifty yards, what is keeping you from moving back yourself or moving your target.

Don't take this wrong I am just curious.

I don't run this competition just expressing my opinion.

Thanks for listening, Clint

halfded
March 7, 2009, 08:28 AM
I shoot in my backyard, if I move further back either way, I don't have a clear shot path. If it's not fair, consider my entry null and void. Not looking to cheat, just don't have anybody around here to play with..:(

Clint C
March 7, 2009, 10:51 AM
That sucks, I don't have anyone around here to shoot with either. I went to my shooting spot the other day and, the DNR showed up. (This shooting spot is more or less just a parking lot next to a lake and has a max range of 100-125 yards to shoot. I can park in the gravel parking lot and shoot in to the "range" if that's what you want to call it.) Anyways the DNR lady told me they don't have the funds to keep it cleaned up anymore ( not that they ever keep it clean anyways) so I volunteered to clean it up for them. I actually am happy to do it because there are young mulberry trees scattered every ware through the "range" and she said I could cut them down.

Halfded, sorry I never was trying to call you a cheat, just thought I would say how I felt about it.

halfded
March 7, 2009, 01:16 PM
No worries, I don't want to have an edge over anyone. I guess we'll leave it to the judges of the match.

What say ye, Oh powers that be?!

HuntAndFish
March 7, 2009, 01:50 PM
My $0.02. By Clint's logic the people that shoot 25 yds indoors have an edge over the guys shooting outdoors too. If this was a real competition for big prizes and such, maybe we couldn't overlook it. But this is just a friendly competition for braggin' rights. I suggest half size targets at half the range is okay as long as it gets you out and shooting with your rifle. Plus, the bigger hole relative to the target is going to make it harder to get full points (all in the black).

Now if gvnwst is willing to put up some prize money.....:)

Schleprok62
March 7, 2009, 02:39 PM
I'll agree with HuntAndFish... it's not about who wins, it's about friends having fun and what-not... male bonding as my ol' lady like to refer to it as... :)

nice shootin' halfded...

did someone mention Prize money?!?!?!?!

LOL

halfded
March 7, 2009, 02:49 PM
That's all I'm looking for; a good time and a little company. Now if we start talking prize money, I might have to start up the old chainsaw and make some room!! Wanna pick up one of those little henry lever action rifles.

gvnwst
March 7, 2009, 02:56 PM
Now if gvnwst is willing to put up some prize money.....

HEY THERE, LEAVE ME OUT OF THIS! I am poor as it is:D The only way this would work, you have a fee to get in, the winner takes all. But then we would need someone to control the money. (a mod want to voulnteer?) Maybe something like $5? :D

halfded
March 7, 2009, 03:02 PM
I think bragging rights are sufficient bounty.

Schleprok62
March 7, 2009, 03:55 PM
LOL... I thought I saw halfded volunteer a Henry as a prize...

:D

*hides behind a steel desk...*

j/k man... ;)

HuntAndFish
March 7, 2009, 04:27 PM
By the way Clint C, kudos to you for cleaning up your range. Wish there were more shooters like you out there.

I attempted to shoot this on Friday. Trying to sight in my scope lead me to notice that my sight base was loose. Shoot, adjust, shoot, adjust, shoot,...I'm back where I started....WTH? :)

I'll shoot again next Friday.

halfded
March 7, 2009, 06:02 PM
HuntandFish, if you ever see a pic of my 10/22, now you know why I use the high rise/see thru scope mounts. Got tired of those stupid bases coming loose. See through mounts screw right to my receiver, no more scope falling off the back of the rifle.

Speaking of Henry's *ahem*, anybody see the henrys that someone engraved for each state? 1 of 1. Looks pretty good, I'm sure the prices are gonna skyrocket on those.

Clint C
March 7, 2009, 08:37 PM
I'm fine with it if the powers to be are, I thought I would bring it to attention.

Clint C
March 7, 2009, 08:44 PM
I didn't see there were two pages, and I didn't think about it being harder to get all black for the bonus points, that is a very good point.

Halfded you are at a disadvantage with the all black bonus points.

But with a good scope and good ammo you could make it happen.

Did I hear something about a Henery rifle? LOL

halfded
March 7, 2009, 09:05 PM
You're telling me about those little dots! The biggest one at half size is as big as a dime. The smallest one is about as big as the rim of a 22LR case. I thought I had a perfect score until I read the rules again too! Made a mistake listing my scope power too, it's 16X max power, I think I listed it as 13X.

beechnut
March 8, 2009, 07:11 PM
Hello everyone I am a new member here and would like to get involved in the rimfire challenge.I am new here so I dont know if it is ok for me to compete with you guys.

I just bought a new savage mk2 bolt action 22lr and figure this would be a great way for me to learn my rifle.I can only shoot at 25 yards tho as that is the farthest my range has to offer.I will do the target in half size tho to make it fair.

I will check back in a little bit but hopefully it is ok with you guys.I like to do stuff like this,I also have a buddy who may want to join the forum.He has a ruger 10/22T and I am sure he would be very interested in doing this too.

You guys seem like a great group of people,and you have a great forum here.

gvnwst
March 8, 2009, 07:17 PM
Is your savage iron sights or scoped? For scoped, halfded made a half size target, if he will let you use that, for irons, the correct distance is 25yd. Good lluck, and have fun, i am going to try out with my savage soon!:D Way to windy today:(

beechnut
March 8, 2009, 07:26 PM
Sorry my savage has a 3x9x40mm scope on it.
So the 25 yards with the half sized target would be correct then?

I looked at the target half sized and wow it is pretty small.The ole lady is gonna be mad at me when i use up all the ink in the printer making these targets.

Hopefully I can make a bunch at work this week for free.The target is very small and even at 25 yards it is gonna be very hard to hit every single target inside the black for a perfect score.

Hopefully I can get to the range this week.When is this contest gonna be over? I really need to get some match grade ammo as I only have bulk pack stuff right now.

gvnwst
March 8, 2009, 07:30 PM
Yeah, half size target at 25, you are going to have some trouble getting a perfect score, for the reasons above, smaller hole=harder to get bullet all the way in black.

The deadline is a posted target by April 1.
Don't worry too much about match ammo, my savage likes some bulk pack stuff more than a lot of match, they are LASERS* with the right ammo. *that can be affected by wind...:D

beechnut
March 8, 2009, 07:39 PM
See the thing is I am limited on my ammo selection locally.I have half a brick of blazer,and a whole brick of winchester xpert high velocity ammo.
I dont know what ammo is very accurate.I seen the cci velocitors,and mini mags at dicks but I didn't get them since I dont know if they were worth the premium price or not.

I will have something turned in by april first for sure.I haven't even shot my savage yet so I have no clue what ammo it likes.I still have to get my scope ready and zeroed.Boy o boy sounds like a busy month in the making.

Thankyou very much for letting me get into this.I am gonna tell my buddy at work to check this out also.

gvnwst
March 8, 2009, 07:48 PM
I personally don't like high velocity .22lr, as they usually have differing velocitys from shot to shot (called extreme spread) and that makes for bad accuracy. My savage likes certain lots of federal bulk pack, and some really old lots of remington gold bullet bulk. I am going to pick up some match stuff soon, see if i can do better than last year!

You are very welcome, we are glad to have more people shooting! Makes it harder too, and the bragging rights become even more worthful...:D

beechnut
March 8, 2009, 08:06 PM
Houston I have a humungous problem.
I cannot find the cord for my new printer anywhere.It is a brand new printer and this sucks.
Can someone send me 3 full size and 3 half size targets in the mail please? I will cover shipping if need be.
This way I can make copies of it at work.Thanks guys

gvnwst
March 8, 2009, 08:15 PM
I can try, halfded has the half size target though, i don't know how to half size it. (hey halfded!) mind sending it to me, or sending this guy a few copies?

beechnut
March 8, 2009, 08:28 PM
I sent you a pm gvnwst about shrinking the targets down.

Halfded I would greatly appreciate it if you could help out incase gvnwst cannot shrink the targets since you already have them at the half size.

halfded
March 8, 2009, 08:34 PM
Here's the half size target for all who need it, or want to give it a go. To make sure that you're printing it the right size the biggest dot should be almost the size of a dime, if not exact. The smallest dot should be as big as the back of a .22 case. Good luck guys!

http://i625.photobucket.com/albums/tt332/halfdedsphoto/halfsizetarget.jpg

Separate link:

http://i625.photobucket.com/albums/tt332/halfdedsphoto/halfsizetarget.jpg

Let me know if that won't print right, I'll remake the file and post that. Deleted it by accident after I ran off a bunch of copies.

beechnut
March 8, 2009, 08:42 PM
gvnwst I guess you can ignore most of my pm now that halfded posted the pic.Can you try to print that up for me now??

I really appreciate it guys.I need a couple full size and a couple half size copies so I have spares incase I lose 1 of them.I can make a bunch of copies at work or at kinkos or somewhere I just need some to start with.

I am looking forward to this guys.I have only shot against my buddies before with handguns,I have never done it with a rifle.This should be fun.

Do you guys do stuff like this every month

gvnwst
March 8, 2009, 08:48 PM
Ill try to print them asap!

Hmmm...we really need to have handgun rimfire matches too!*

In winter, no one really got out and so no one made these threads, but usually. I will make one every month, as long as someone else doesn't first!

*Actually, what do you guys thing about a offshoot of this (the rifle match), you HAVE to shoot offhand, like 10yd for irons, and 20yd for scoped? maybe 15yd for iron and 30 for scoped?

beechnut
March 8, 2009, 08:56 PM
We use to do the handgun matches but they weren't rimfire.
I had a g17 and they had m&p 9mm's

I hope you can print those targets up as I am ready to go and do some shooting.I gotta order some target ammo online this week too.

HuntAndFish
March 8, 2009, 10:03 PM
I hope you can print those targets up as I am ready to go and do some shooting.I gotta order some target ammo online this week too.

beechnut, if you have a FedEx Office (formerly Kinkos) close by, you can go online and start a print job with the target PDF file.

https://printonline.fedexkinkos.com/

You can pick the store where you want it to print. Don't know about 1/2 size though, when you go pick it up, you may have to have the pretty girl there do that for you. <wink wink nudge nudge> :)

beechnut
March 8, 2009, 10:27 PM
Nevermind everytime I get towards the end of the process I keep getting a windows error and my web browser closes.Hopefully I hear back from gvnwst

halfded
March 9, 2009, 08:19 AM
Just a thought, but maybe the half size targets should be called halfded-size targets! :D

Kind of Blued
March 9, 2009, 08:26 AM
Oh boy! I just got my first rimfire rifle!

I always looked at these threads and thought they looked like fun. I'll try to get out next weekend. :D

Also, are these usually "one chance only" or can you try the same rifle twice/thrice and post the best one?

gvnwst
March 9, 2009, 10:40 AM
halfded--i'll marker that in to the targets i send beechnut.:D

KoB, last month we had a lot of people (me included) trying to best the score with the same rifle, so i guess that should be allowed.

halfded
March 9, 2009, 12:39 PM
Already sent a couple out to him, don't worry about it.

gvnwst
March 9, 2009, 12:42 PM
Oh, well, mine just went into the mail also! Finally got it figured out last night, some of my printer settings were messed up.

Schleprok62
March 9, 2009, 01:01 PM
Well, if I use a sling-shot, no optic sights, standing... can I double size it at 12.5 yards??????

:D

hadda be done... LOL

gvnwst
March 9, 2009, 01:06 PM
Really, how about a offhand class, be a bit more challenging IMO.:evil: more fun too:D

Schleprok62
March 9, 2009, 01:07 PM
over the shoulder, using a mirror too??? LOL

gvnwst
March 9, 2009, 01:09 PM
yeah, why not? Bet i can score better than you:neener:

Schleprok62
March 9, 2009, 01:17 PM
oh really??? :D We'll see about that... LOL

gvnwst
March 9, 2009, 01:52 PM
I will cheat and duct tape it to my shoulder, NO movement:neener::p lol

Schleprok62
March 9, 2009, 02:49 PM
what if, I'm just sayin'.... someone else decides to shoot at THAT target????

I'm jus' sayin... LOL

Clint C
March 9, 2009, 02:54 PM
For every rifle you have you can enter one target into the competition for that rifle, but can shoot as many targets as you want before you feel you have done your best and enter that target in the competition right?

Schleprok62
March 9, 2009, 02:56 PM
Clint...

From what I understand... you can submit a new target for any of your rifles... throughout the month...

But the new submission voids the previous one... i.e. only the newest one counts...

gvnwst
March 9, 2009, 02:58 PM
I think. Maybe we should modify the rules, because we have have a month to shoot, and some of us only have one rifle.

I would like to have few tries, even after i post one target.....

What everyone else think?

Oh, Schleprok62 beat me to it.....

beechnut
March 9, 2009, 05:56 PM
I only have one rifle and I haven't even shot it yet (LOL)

Can you guys post what ammo you are using when you post your pic of the target and your score please.

I have no clue what 22lr ammo is good or not so I am gonna be doing some trial and error. I dont know if any of you have a savage mk2 but that is what I have.

I have cci blazer,winchester xpert high velocity ammo.I am gonna probably go and get some cci mini mags or cci velocitors today so I have a variety of ammo to try at the range.

Schleprok62
March 9, 2009, 06:41 PM
22's are fickle... you just have to go out and see what your gun likes... I have several 22 rifles and none of them are the same with the same ammo...

gvnwst
March 9, 2009, 07:02 PM
Well, my MKII (base model) likes pretty much everything, minus thunderbolts and mini mags. Or velociters. I haven't tried other high velocity loads, but it don't like um in general. Try federal bulk and remington bulk, those it loves.

easyrider6042004@yahoo.ca
March 9, 2009, 07:07 PM
THIS IS NOT AN EASY MATCH!!!

My best so far has been an embarassing 25, so will not post target yet.
So I'm using winchester walmart specials, but I'm an optimist.:)

beechnut
March 9, 2009, 07:18 PM
I have winchester xpert high veloity ammo and cci blazer ammo.Both are bulk pack.I just found some match grade ammo tho at a local gun shop I amy go and buy some to see if it is worth the premium price or not.

Winchester super x target ammo
Fiocchi match grade
Eley

Probably get a box of each to try it out

gvnwst
March 9, 2009, 09:43 PM
Eley is known for being good, i really want some, but it is not available around here, and i don't want to pay for the shipping.

I am probably going to have to go with federal or remington match, only stuff they sell around here.

beechnut
March 9, 2009, 10:30 PM
I bought some target ammo today and it was not cheap but it was not as expensive as 9mm except for the eley I bought.

The eley is expensive as hell.$9 for 50 rounds is crazy but if it really is the ebst then I guess it is worth it.
I bought the following ammo
50 rnds of eley target rifle
100 rnds of winchester super x target
100 rnds of remington target

I thought they had wolf but they didn't so this is all I got.Price for all the ammo $26 for 250 rnds.Way cheaper then buying 9mm ammo so I am still happy about the 22lr cheapness.

I am gonna shoot my blazer and winchester xpert ammo first to see what plinker ammo agress with my rifle.This way I will know what plinker ammo to get from now on.
Once I get to where I am feeling confident enough to step up to the target ammo I will do so.Hopefully that will be by the end of the month and I will be able to turn in a very good rimfire target for you guys.

Dont keep your fingers crossed on me tho.I still haven't shot this thing so I need to set the scope and adjust it.

1858rem
March 9, 2009, 11:49 PM
what about that stuff that comes in 333rd packs any good?

Schleprok62
March 10, 2009, 11:01 AM
Seems to me the most mentioned ammo in these monthly matches is the Federal bulk stuff from wally world. I know I use it, and the Remmy Goldens with better than decent results... I do have a box of CCI mini mags, and a box of Remington match standard velocity I want to try...

I bought a box of the velocitors to try...

beechnut
March 10, 2009, 06:05 PM
I cannot find any of the federal bulk ammo locally so I haven't tried that yet.

DocCuller
March 11, 2009, 10:58 PM
Looking forward to trying this with my CZ452. Stay tuned!

DocCuller
March 11, 2009, 11:04 PM
There is a WORLD of difference in the way my weapon (CZ452) shoots with the Ely ammo as compared to Winchester or American Eagle. I just bought a brick of Wolf and am anxious to see how that does.

gvnwst
March 12, 2009, 07:57 PM
So, beechnut, have you gotten any of the targets either halfded or i sent you yet?
I am stil waiting to get to the store and pick up some match ammo. I have one decent target, but nothing to brag about (another 35 i think, i haven't scored it yet, just shot it)

panrobercik
March 12, 2009, 08:36 PM
would it be fair to the rifle shooters if I entered with my scoped 22/45 ,half size target at 25 yards, or is it rifles only ?

gvnwst
March 12, 2009, 09:56 PM
For now it is rifles only (unless the others are okay with pistol'rs shooting?), but i have talked with Justsaymo, and he is going to make a pistol match or i will add the rules into here next month.

beechnut
March 12, 2009, 10:14 PM
I actually got the targets the same day from both of you.
I have not gotten the chance to shoot them yet but I will this weekend.Hopefully saturday I will get to the range and try out the small targets.

gvnwst
March 12, 2009, 11:14 PM
Can't wait to see how the eley works for ya. I am going to a big town tomorrow, so i am going to see if they have any...

Schleprok62
March 13, 2009, 01:18 PM
I think I'm gonna try to get the T-Bolt out again with some good match ammo... might try it with the Model Five too...

hmmm....

Clint C
March 13, 2009, 02:17 PM
Here you go guys. I shot three sighters and then shot this target. I was trying to find out what ammo my Winchester 75 likes and ran out of time to shoot the .17HMR.

Clint C
Rifle-Remington M540XR Target/made in 1980
Sights- Redfield Palma rear/Redfield Olympic front (Iron sights)
Ammo- CCI Green Tag
Position- Shooting bags on the tailgate of my Ford Ranger
Distance- 25 yards
Conditions- almost perfect, 6mph with 10mph gust, temp-29 degrees, Nice overcast (no sun at all)
Score- 75

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o76/cacyhupp/IMG_0804.jpg

gvnwst
March 13, 2009, 02:19 PM
He wins. PERFECT SCORE!!!!

halfded
March 13, 2009, 02:29 PM
unless someone can shoot 15 perfect groups!! :neener: On my way out the door now!

Schleprok62
March 13, 2009, 02:36 PM
Nice shooting Clint... Congrats...

Yo2slick
March 13, 2009, 03:00 PM
I took my 7 year old daughter out shooting with me and at the end of the day she was kind enough to let me shoot her rifle for this challenge!
Its not great, but for a half size gun I think I did alright. LOL.

Yo2slick
Rifle-CZ 452 Scout
Sights-Iron sights
Ammo-Federal Bulk
Position-Sitting in a chair with forward hand resting on table
Distance- 25 yards
Conditions-Indoors, Target swinging on string.
Score- 29

http://i450.photobucket.com/albums/qq222/Yo2slick/aarontarget.jpg

gvnwst
March 13, 2009, 03:05 PM
unless someone can shoot 15 perfect groups!! On my way out the door now!

Well, we can try.:D I will:evil:

Yo2slick--thats pretty good for how you were shooting and iron sights, better than i could do.

1858rem
March 13, 2009, 10:37 PM
wow, clint c, good shooting, now try 50yds on a double size target open sights to test the ammos performance....and again, AWESOME SHOOTING!
sorry iv not been competing but i really got back into shooting my 45 a lot, i was hitting skeet at 10 yards real fast like 5 seconds or less for 5 shots on a SA from the hip, omg it was so fun .....untill i blew the da#m thing up in my hand somehow so now im lookin up how to buy a ruger blackhawk,but im 18, untill then ill get back to rimfire, and put up a 75 just like clint c did, but at 50% scale and at 50 yds lol

Clint C
March 13, 2009, 11:57 PM
Well, I have a Winchester 75 with a 5X scope on it that I want to shoot a target at 50 yards with, But I can't seem to find its favorite ammo yet. 50 yards is alot harder than I thought, even with a scope, and everytime I try to shoot 50 yards the wind starts to blow hard.

Here are a couple targets that I shot with my Remington at 50 yards, with Iron sights. I know I can do better. This is the only time I have shot 50 yards with this rifle, ever since I have been shooting 25 yard targets. But over at RFC they have 50 yard competitions that I am going to compete in.

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o76/cacyhupp/IMG_0656.jpg

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o76/cacyhupp/IMG_0655.jpg

P51D
March 14, 2009, 01:07 AM
Clint: Awesome! Halfded & Schlep, mighty fine! And fine shooting to the others who have posted targets. This really is harder than it looks. My hat's off to all of you.

I'll try to attach my target which I score as 38. This is my Mid-Month entry, and hopefully I'm just warming up. :D And just to encourage others to post more (and shoot more), I shot four targets today. 38 was my best. The others were 27, 29, and 31. And if I remember correctly, I shot them in that order, with the 38 as my last. Keep 'em coming!

P51D

CZ 452
Bushnell 3 - 9X scope
Federal Champion ammo, lead solid point (510)
Benchrest, sandbags
50 yards
34 degrees, cloudy, light breeze (less than 5 mph, no excuses)

Clint C
March 14, 2009, 01:19 AM
Nice shooting P51D. I find it harder at 50 yards with a scope than I do at 25 yards with Iorns.

HuntAndFish
March 14, 2009, 02:58 AM
Marlin 39A
stock buckhorn sights
Federal Automatch ammo
Shot standing, indoor range, resting on my range bag in the booth
http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i71/StanAllen/IMG_1183.jpg
9 + 12 + 6 = 27

And as long as I'm takin' pictures... :D
http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i71/StanAllen/IMG_1155.jpg

halfded
March 14, 2009, 08:24 AM
Looking at investing in either a 8-32X50 or a 10-40X50 online. Running a 4-16Xsomething now. That little target would be like shooting a baseball! This kind of scope isn't considered cheating is it? Kind of overkill for a .22, but I L-O-V-E benchrest shooting, and I never come off 16 on my scope now. Anyone have experience with scopes like this, as far as any parallax or focus problems or anything? The model I'm looking at has AO 1/8" finger adjustable knobs (which breaks down to 1/32" at 25 yards :cool:). Shweet. Anyway, any info is appreciated as always. If it's not raining I'm heading out today to try to at least match Clint C.

gvnwst, do you know where to find the "rules" or explanation for each of the uspalma targets? Found it once but can't find it again.

Beechnut... you get the little "extra" I sent with your targets? :neener:

halfded
March 14, 2009, 09:00 AM
Got bored and scaled a 1000 yard target down to 25 yards if anyone's interested. Doesn't have the wind factor and bullet drop and all that, but still a pretty small target. Gonna try it out today if it's not raining.

http://i625.photobucket.com/albums/tt332/halfdedsphoto/1000yardsim.jpg

You might have to save it and then print in photo gallery. In the print options or properties, unclick fit to page and it should print right. Enjoy.

Clint C
March 14, 2009, 11:20 AM
Most .22lr rifles I see used for target/benchrest have a 36x fixed scope mounted on them. I don't think it would be cheating even if you put a 100x scope on it. Now that would be cool.

Clint C
March 14, 2009, 11:23 AM
Nice shooting Huntandfish. I tried this target with my Winchester 9422 that I just bought two days ago. I didn't even bother scoring it, LOL

1858rem
March 14, 2009, 11:29 AM
a 100x would probably double the weight of the gun lol!

halfded
March 14, 2009, 11:54 AM
Narrowed it down to 3:

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/34983-34.html

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/54566-34.html

http://cgi.ebay.com/Barska-Excavator-6-24x50-Illuminated-Rifle-Scope-w_W0QQitemZ220368714392QQihZ012QQcategoryZ31714QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Anyone have any of these?

Clint C
March 14, 2009, 11:58 AM
Alot of target rifles that I have seen have the BSA 36x fixed scope, But any of the ones you have chosen shold get the job done just fine.

gvnwst
March 14, 2009, 01:28 PM
Wow halfded, you might as well be sitting on the targets with having that much magnifaction!

Nice shooting huntandfish, espically for standing!

I am angry. Even in the biggest city for a 100 miles, they didn't have ANY match ammo other than remington match, whiich is plain horrible!:cuss::banghead::fire::mad: So i have to stick with bulk pack.:(

Clint C
March 14, 2009, 01:55 PM
If you buy a rim gage, your bulk ammo well work alot better for ya.
Here is a prototype that I made, it seems to work good for me on all my ammo.

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o76/cacyhupp/IMG_0733.jpg

HuntAndFish
March 14, 2009, 03:14 PM
Hey Clint C, instruct us on the use of that dingus.

BTW: Got my scope re-mounted this morning so I plan to get a scoped entry in before the end of the month.

Clint C
March 14, 2009, 04:10 PM
You put a rimfire round in to the hole and the gage will tell you the thickness of your rim. All rimfire rims have a different rim thickness. So you put all the rounds together that have the same rim thickness and it well keep you more consistent. After that you can weigh them. The Idea on the rim thickness is to keep headspace of your rifle the same. It keeps you from having a "flyer".

gvnwst
March 14, 2009, 04:13 PM
Basically what hornady came out with last (or was it this) year? How much did that thing run you to make?

Clint C
March 15, 2009, 12:08 AM
Well I already had the gage ( someone in my wife's family gave me a bunch of micrometers, and dept gage, and much more stuff like this, most of it is Mitutoyo, for doing some work for them). Pretty much I only had to buy the bolt. so maybe 75 cents. You can buy the dial indicator on eBay for next to nothing sometimes. They can be hard to read sometimes because the rim is somewhat different all the way around.

The more similar the rounds can be the better.

Also if you guys want good target ammo stay away from high speed ammo, the slower the better. Try to stay around 1200 fps and slower. I shoot ammo around 1070 fps (CCI Green Tag) and some others.

1858rem
March 15, 2009, 11:57 AM
You put a rimfire round in to the hole and the gage will tell you the thickness of your rim. All rimfire rims have a different rim thickness. So you put all the rounds together that have the same rim thickness and it well keep you more consistent. After that you can weigh them. The Idea on the rim thickness is to keep headspace of your rifle the same. It keeps you from having a "flyer".

would a micrometer be able to do the same? and do you think this would help with a semi auto?

Clint C
March 15, 2009, 12:05 PM
I thought about using a micrometer on the rim, but I was worried I would set the round off, and I don't know how easy it would be. Try at your own risk. I know the mic dosen't tighten down very hard, but with a caliper and dial indicator your testing more the overall average of the rim not just one side of the rim. When you use a caliper you need a jig to put your round into.

I am assuming it would do you good on a semi-auto. From what I have read and seen the more consistant everything can be the better.

halfded
March 16, 2009, 05:59 PM
Well, I checked out all 3 of the scopes that I had listed previously. Nothing I've seen is worth the change from what I have now. Any of the 3 scopes got hazy when cranked to full power. Right as I went to bid on a BSA 36X44 on ebay, someone "boughtitnow" right from under me. So the barska shall man it's post a little longer I suppose. It's just such a good scope it's hard to find something better. I guess the old adage is correct: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." I did put a little Simmons 4X32 on my henry because my eyes SUCK! It's a shotgun scope, but I liked the reticle (pro-diamond), it was on clearance ($40), and the 1/2" MOA adjustment doesn't really matter shooting plates at 25 yards. The compact size looks nice, and I didn't want anything strong, just something to see a little better. Works pretty good for it's intended purpose. BTW, .22 shorts rock! Shooting plates sounds like an old west spitoon. pftt-TING!! :D

gvnwst
March 17, 2009, 09:53 PM
Well, let the simmons stay for now.:D I was just out on my range shooting, hitting 2.5" targets at 50yd offhand was pretty easy if i took the time to slow down my movements! Hmmm....now i need to find one of those hornady rimfire concentricy gauges in Bowling Green.....(big town near me) Then i might be able to challenge you Clint:p Otherwise i have to submit my current 39:(

Chester32141
March 17, 2009, 10:47 PM
I'm looking forward to getting in on this next time around 'cause I just emptied my piggy bank on a couple boxes of shells and my printer has run dry ... any chance y'all could use a target that uses less ink next time ... I'm sort of a shooter on a shoestring ... :o

You guys are turning in some great targets ... !

Schleprok62
March 17, 2009, 11:37 PM
do what I did... print one, and find a copier machine... work, library, kinkos, wherever... it's definitely cheaper in the long run...

Mal H
March 18, 2009, 01:15 AM
... or you can do what I do for these targets that come out sopping with black ink. :)

I set the printer control for "fast draft". That uses a bunch less ink and the targets are just a viewable at a distance as the ones printed with normal parameters.

Chester32141
March 18, 2009, 10:37 AM
Thanks for the tips ... I'll give it a try ...

Chester

gvnwst
March 24, 2009, 11:25 PM
Hmm....if i can't get a better score before the month is over i guess i will just have to post my 39...:o (maybe i will get better than 4th though:D)

P51D
March 25, 2009, 01:15 PM
gvnwst - do you have a list of the scores up to this point? If you have the list handy, could you pls post it?

THANKS!

P51D

P51D
March 25, 2009, 10:57 PM
gvnwst - please disregard my last msg. I went through the posts and it looks like I'm in 5th place. :( Time to do something about that! I should have some new ammo arriving tomorrow (Winchester DynaPoints). I'm gonna try to squeeze in one more trip to the range :D

Has anybody had any luck with the DynaPoints in their CZ452? I think I remember reading something good about that combo.

P51D

Schleprok62
March 26, 2009, 10:55 PM
Wow... you mean I'm gonna have to go out again and outdo my previous targets??? This can be arranged...

Hey t'all... on a good note... we have far more targets posted that those 17hmr guys... ;) They're all talk... ;)

LOL...

Good shooting y'all....

P51D
March 27, 2009, 12:55 AM
Schlep - yes, I hope to narrow the gap. I may get out tomorrow:) If not, there is always the April match, right??

Here's how I'm rationalizing this. In our own way, WE ARE stimulating the economy. I'm looking at new scopes. Trying to find the best ammo for my rifle (meaning, I'm buying a couple boxes of these .22s here, a couple there, like never before). And I just bought a spotting scope (a Simmons from Natchez; I'll let you know how that works out) to see those tiny holes next to those TINY black dots in the bottom row!!!

Hopefully posting a better score than my current 38, soon. :cool:

P51D

Clint C
March 27, 2009, 01:09 AM
A spotting scope is a great investment for this kind of shooting. I went to the range one day with out mine and it was horrible, man did my legs hurt. lol

gvnwst
March 31, 2009, 05:48 PM
Ya know, i must be doin reel good, seeing as all i have when i go out is my rifle with 14x scope and some ammo. I don't cheat with wind flags, spotting scopes, or 36x scopes:neener::D
JK, lol.

Here is my target, it is actually a 38:

http://i362.photobucket.com/albums/oo64/gvnwst/100_2093.jpg
Rifle, make, model, vintage if known
Sights: Mueller 4.5-14x40 AO scope
Ammo: Federal bulk
Position: Prone supported
Distance: 50yd
Conditions: 5mph solid wind with 20mph gusts.

gvnwst
March 31, 2009, 05:49 PM
Today is the last day proples, can ANYONE list a 50 even scoped?! Ya know, Clint won 2 times in a row...:(

:p:D

Clint C
April 1, 2009, 12:30 AM
Ya know, Clint won 2 times in a row.:(

....:)

Clint C
April 1, 2009, 12:33 AM
Good shooting man. When I was scrolling down you had me worried. I feel eveyone did a good job.

Clint C
April 1, 2009, 02:03 AM
Ding,ding,ding.

gvnwst
April 1, 2009, 11:03 AM
Looks like we have a winner! So, i have not been keeping up with all the scores(:uhoh:), who won for the scoped rifles?

gvnwst
April 1, 2009, 12:10 PM
The new match!
http://thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=439934

Schleprok62
April 2, 2009, 12:48 PM
gvnwst: Are you going to post the results from March???

gvnwst
April 2, 2009, 12:49 PM
Ill have to go throuch and find them all, i was a bit to busy to keep up...:uhoh:

gvnwst
April 2, 2009, 12:58 PM
I think i have them all now!

Clint C
High Score: 75!!!

halfded
High Score: 45

Schleprok62
High Score: 40

P51D
High Score: 38

gvnwst
High Score: 38

Yo2slick
High Score: 29

HuntAndFish
High Score: 27

now we just need to figger out how to decide between me and P51D, for now i decided he beat me because he posted first....

Schleprok62
April 2, 2009, 01:05 PM
now we just need to figger out how to decide between me and P51D

Standard 10 paces, turn and shoot... LOL :D :D :D :D

gvnwst
April 2, 2009, 01:08 PM
Can i hide behind a steel barrier while we do this please:o

:D:D

P51D
April 3, 2009, 10:10 AM
Can i hide behind a steel barrier while we do this please

Just as long as I can hide behind it too. Hey, wait a minute . . . . :)

Mal H
April 4, 2009, 01:15 AM
Hold on before anybody gets hurt! ;)

now we just need to figger out how to decide between me and P51D, for now i decided he beat me because he posted first...Why? It's simply called a tie for 4th place. Having the tie has a side benefit that goes along with it - Yo2slick and HuntAndFish both move up a notch from 6th and 7th place to 5th and 6th place! A win-win situation. :)

gvnwst
April 4, 2009, 01:21 AM
Lol, i guess that works. hey, i am in 4th now, not 5th like last month!:D

Hey, can you make the other thread a sticky?

Mal H
April 4, 2009, 12:46 PM
Sure, the April thread is now a sticky.

maybe some people want the target changed?You read my mind. To be honest, I've never liked that target set from the beginning, but now after about 4 times using it, it is really getting old.

gvnwst
April 4, 2009, 01:15 PM
Okay, what targets do you suggest? I am pretty bad at finding ones that people like.

Mal H
April 4, 2009, 03:24 PM
That same website has lots of targets to choose from: http://www.reloadbench.com/pdf.html

Here's another site with lots of targets. (http://www.mytargets.com/) We've used the "charging rhinos x5" in one postal match before - that one worked well.

Any of the 20 per page targets would make for a good match. One shot per circle and maybe make it like a Bingo game - any 5 in a column gets a bonus.

Of course the UsPalma website (http://www.uspalma.com/Targets/PDFs/) has many targets to choose from. Again maybe some of the multiple bulls on a page would make a good challenge (like the 15 circles med or small).

I once shot in a postal match (rimfirecentral.com, I think) where the target was playing cards. You had to shoot for the best poker hand - that was fun, but I can't find the target anywhere (other than the ones I shot).

No one is going to like every target, but a little variety would spice up the matches a bit.

gvnwst
April 4, 2009, 03:58 PM
How about this one:
http://www.mytargets.com/target22%20circles%20x20.pdf

One point for every shot inside the ring, and another if it touches the little inside dot? If all in one colum do, a extra 6 points. (3 points per bull) If ALL of the shots on the paper touch the little dots, another 10 points.* Perfect score, 82.

Sound good?

*this might make it a bit complicated...

alemonkey
April 4, 2009, 04:01 PM
I'll try to get in on this one, regardless of what target you guys decide to use. I've been laid up with a back injury for about a month now and unable to get to the range so I wasn't able to participate in last months, but I have a little Savage 30G that's just itching to prove what it can do in the iron sight class.....

Mal H
April 4, 2009, 04:40 PM
That would work well. But, as you implied, don't make the scoring too complicated. We're after good fun shooting that doesn't need a calculator to figure out! :)

gvnwst
April 4, 2009, 04:42 PM
I'll leave off the last thing, perfect score will be 72.

Mal H
April 4, 2009, 04:43 PM
What to do if some have already started the match using the other target?

I don't quite get the scoring. Looks like a perfect score would be 64 if I understand the system.

If every shot happens to hit the small dot inside each circle (good luck to all on that!), you would get 40 points (20 circles X 2 points each). Then you get a 6 point bonus for each column: 4 columns X 6 = 24 bonus points. So the max would be 40 + 24 = 64.

gvnwst
April 4, 2009, 04:49 PM
I dunno, i take it you are refferring to Kind of Blued, i guess he will just have to start with another target...(see the thread for what i told him) ifit is starting too i guess.........dang. Suggestions?
About scoring.....oops, you are correct, for some reason, i thought there were 6 bulls down, and 4 across.....:uhoh: But taht is also why i said 6 extra points, so i will make it 5 extra points, so that if your whole page is perfect, you will haev eacy bull worth 3 points....

If you enjoyed reading about "March 2009 Rimfire Match!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!