Need a black rifle recommendation

PDA

elktrout
March 1, 2009, 06:54 PM
I confess my lack of knowledge about black rifles, particularly the best operating system and manufacturer from a reliability standpoint. If I buy one, I want a .308. If I want just a basic, reliable rifle without spending several thousand dollars, what do you recommend?

If you enjoyed reading about "Need a black rifle recommendation" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
cbrgator
March 1, 2009, 06:55 PM
Most reliable... Saiga 308.
Most versatile... AR-10 style platform.

priler
March 1, 2009, 06:58 PM
^^^^bingo!!

Bill_Rights
March 2, 2009, 08:17 AM
Are you open to a used rifle?

In .308 ! Are you looking to do a certain type of shooting or just to have a bad_ss rifle for "social work"?

USSR
March 2, 2009, 08:19 AM
http://ussr.clarityconnect.com/FAL1.jpg

Don

elktrout
March 2, 2009, 09:18 AM
I want a black rifle before they are not available any more. I would use it for target shooting and keep it as a hedge against things going really bad - as you put it "social work" (didn't Jeff Cooper coin that phrase?).

Don,
What is the rifle in your photo?

Gunther
March 2, 2009, 10:19 AM
DPMS AP-4 308 or PTR-91/G-3 Clone. Some guys swear by the FAL pattern guns but I can't recommed them as never having owned one. The 91 and FAL mags are plentiful and cheap right now compared to the AR guns

CoRoMo
March 2, 2009, 10:26 AM
I vote for an M1A.

USSR
March 2, 2009, 01:07 PM
Don,
What is the rifle in your photo?

It's a Stg.58 FAL as built by DSA.

Don

gvnwst
March 2, 2009, 01:07 PM
USSR's photo is a FAL, what make i dunno.

For target shooting there is no contest, AR-10, you can get a DPMS for well under 2k, or you used to be able to. They can be very reliable, you don't hear to many horror storys about them.

Robert
March 2, 2009, 01:27 PM
FAL. Feed them rocks and make them sleep in the mud and they will still function just fine. One of the most rugged and durable designs ever. I love mine. DSA makes fine FALs, and some of the parts kit build FALs are ok if you have them checked by a decent gun smith first.

cbrgator
March 2, 2009, 01:29 PM
elktrout,
your intended uses push you more in the direction of an AR-10 style rifle. It may not not be as reliable as a Saiga, but it's certainly reliable enough. If it's main purpose is target shooting, the AR-10 style is the way to go.

elktrout
March 2, 2009, 11:43 PM
Thanks everybody. Your feedback gives me a starting point for research and "hands on" checking at my local gun shops. Good shooting.

Please see my post on the Legal forum about the article in today's Wall Street Journal. We had better get all the black guns we can.

How did Jeff Cooper put it? "to ride, shoot straight, and tell the truth".

If you enjoyed reading about "Need a black rifle recommendation" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!