1 piece vs. 2 piece canes

PDA

JN01
March 1, 2009, 08:41 PM
I recently read an article Masad Ayoob did on defense with a cane. One of the canes featured in the article was a t-handled one by Chris Koontz, which can be employed much like a PR-24 baton.

Does anyone have one of these canes? I am curious as to how the head is attached to the main body of the cane. It seems you would have many more technique options with this style of cane, but are they as strong as a conventional bent-top (one piece) cane? How well do the Koontz canes hold up under hard use?

If you enjoyed reading about "1 piece vs. 2 piece canes" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
bikerdoc
March 1, 2009, 08:54 PM
JN01,
below is one of my homemade canes, not a T but an L.
The shaft is 3/4 and fitted into a 3/4 hole with wood glue, the fit is tight so a rubber mallet is used to bang it in. 2 screw, one on each side are used but I stop short of the head which is cut of with a hack saw.
Stong, Yep I give them a good beating before I Stain and poly them

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg134/bikerdoc1948/001.jpg

Brian Williams
March 1, 2009, 10:59 PM
I am using a plain oak crook cane and it is taking care of my needs now.

JN01
March 2, 2009, 05:39 PM
My concern was if one were to use it for spinning strikes or a forward jab using the t-handle to get more force into it, will the handle stay attached? I would think that it would put considerably more stress on that joint than what normal use as a cane would.

Also, what is the preferred (strongest) wood for a cane?

Brian Williams
March 2, 2009, 09:29 PM
I like oak or ash. The T handle should be able to take quite a bit of abuse, normal use is hard on cane.

sm
March 3, 2009, 12:01 AM
Mas needs to test out the folding canes the legally blind use.

Seriously.
Just me thinking out of the box, still these legally blind are targeted, and the time to pounce would be when the cane is being folded/ has been folded.

Now we have a impact weapon , no longer than a rolled up magazine.

Paging Mas...
Oh heck, maybe I will just contact him.

JN01
March 3, 2009, 07:31 PM
American Canes just sent me an e-mail reply to my question of how the Koontz cane heads are attached. According to the company, they are attached "well". :)

Guess they don't want to give up any trade secrets. :confused:

I suppose one could assume that since Mas Ayoob was touting them by name as a self-defense tool, they should hold up pretty well.

They are a bit pricey, but I like the idea that for the most part, PR24 techniques (which I am trained with) can easily transition to the cane. I do like a beautifully figured piece of hard wood as well.

JN01
March 3, 2009, 07:37 PM
Bikerdoc-

I like your cane. Did you do anything special to dry the wood? Any trouble with the handle screws splitting the wood?

bikerdoc
March 3, 2009, 07:53 PM
JN01,
For drying, nothing special, I just cut them and put them in the shed for 6 months or so.

No trouble with splitting so far and I have done about 2 dozen

Here is an interesting one piece

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg134/bikerdoc1948/finished002.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "1 piece vs. 2 piece canes" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!