Brno ZKK 602-.375

PDA

jim in Anchorage
March 1, 2009, 10:51 PM
I bought one in 1990 for a 460-505 project that never happened. As new,7 shots. Any ideas on value?

If you enjoyed reading about "Brno ZKK 602-.375" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
sahunter
April 8, 2009, 09:44 PM
Are you selling it? I would be interested.

SaxonPig
April 8, 2009, 10:04 PM
The last 602 I saw for sale was priced at $900. Don't know if it sold or if that was realistic.

sahunter
May 18, 2009, 12:49 AM
$900 sounds fair is it sold??

jim in Anchorage
May 18, 2009, 02:59 AM
No I have it tucked safely away in the safe. Not really for sale. The reason I asked is because at the time I bought it there were no Magnum Mauser type actions available,then the CZs and Ruger .416s showed up. I need to get outmore and look at CZs. Are they double flat top like like the 602?

shinz
May 18, 2009, 07:19 AM
The CZs were developed from the ZKK series of rifles. The CZ550 magnums will fit a ZKk 602 stock with only slight modification & in most other respects are very similar. If you've a nice ZKK them look no further, you've got a goody, if it has the pop up peep on the rear receiver bridge you've got a gem. Treasure it. :)
Steve

jim in Anchorage
May 18, 2009, 11:44 AM
No rear peep which is not surprising since it has express sights,one standing and two folding[integral base on the barrel which doubles as a 2nd recoil lug]. It has some interesting features,such as the set trigger[on a .375?] and a reversible front sight [day or night I assume] One thing I have always wanted to do with it is rechamber to .378 Weatherby-the action is much to long to waste on the "short" .375 H&H.:)

shinz
May 18, 2009, 05:45 PM
I had one of the earlier ZKK602s with the peep, I removed the express sights as the peep was so much more usable. Mine was originally in 375H&H but had been well used & had some barrel pitting both inside & externally back of the muzzle. I had it rebored & rechambered to 416 Rigby, at the same time having the barrel shortened to 23" & then turned to original muzzle diameter from forward of the sightbase/recoil lug. This eliminated the external pitting & enabled me to refit the original foresight/barrel band. It fed well & was not uncomfortable to shoot, it had the ZKK classic stock with straight stock comb & short foreend with sling swivel on the barrel. I let it go to someone who couldn't live without it when the kids were small & my Land Rover needed new tyres. Life is full of regrets & that would be one of my biggest.:(
What about 375 RUM, all the power you could need & maybe still get 4 down with it? You wouldn't need to get the bolt face modified with this either. I found that the 416 Rigby fed well with no modification, I suspect the RUM would too.
Steve

jim in Anchorage
May 18, 2009, 08:48 PM
Yes the 375 RUM would work. I just would like a little flatter trajectory than the standard 375. Also that 26 inch barrel has to go. 23 or 24 maybe. How was the factory metal finish on yours? Mine has some roughness in the ring area and the magazine rails. Nothing I can't fix but I don't like it[of course my gold standard is my pre war m70s]

geologist
May 18, 2009, 09:46 PM
I chopped mine to 20" for the thick, heavy bush. It handles so much better and fits into small aircraft more easily.

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i155/pbgeologist/IMG_5483.jpg

jim in Anchorage
May 18, 2009, 10:26 PM
Still .375? SS trigger? Hard to tell in the pic. Are those mts a direct clamp on to the dovetails on the receiver? I was thinking of geting conetrols.

geologist
May 18, 2009, 11:00 PM
Yes it's still .375 H&H. The single set trigger is the stock BRNO trigger and it works well. The mounts are Warne Maxima QD rings. They are very easy to remove, no tools required and then you can use the excellent express sights.

jim in Anchorage
May 18, 2009, 11:48 PM
Well thanks I had no idea Warne made bases for it. I see you have the original safety. I recall when I first bought it[1990?] there was a bolt sleeve type safety[M70 style] advertised in rifle magazine. I wonder if it is still available. I have no problem with the function of the stock unit,but it is noisiest safety I have ever used.

shinz
May 19, 2009, 07:54 AM
Jim, you'll find that mounts like geologist has on his are done by several manufacturers, Warne certainly, also Talley, Leupold, Burris & Millet make screw on clamp types, not so easily detachable.
After all the work I'd had done on mine I got it bead blasted & blued, it came up a neat matt finish, it was always made as a hunter, not a show piece. Being a second hand rifle when I got it & fairly well used, it was very smooth in its action, the later ones did have a reputation for being a bit lacking in finish but they do smooth up quite well. I had a ZKK600 in 270 Win & it was a later unit, no peep sight, & a bit raspy. I flooded the action with brasso & worked the hell out of it. Made a huge difference.
Geologist, thats a tidy looking unit, those stocks really suit them I reckon.
Steve

jim in Anchorage
May 19, 2009, 07:03 PM
Thanks for all the info. It is not surprising the answer's are coming from New Zealand and Canada-The gun was banned from import here for much of its production because of trade restrictions with communist country's-very few around.

geologist
May 21, 2009, 04:56 PM
It really and truly is the noisiest safety on earth. I have a BRNO 600 in 30-06 as my primary big game hunting rifle so I am used to the safety but it is LOUD! Frank de hass in his classic book of bolt action rifles suggests cutting a coil off of the safety spring to solve this problem but I haven't tried this.

geologist
May 21, 2009, 05:04 PM
Geologist, thats a tidy looking unit, those stocks really suit them I reckon.

I find that the stock really works best with the express sights. The felt recoil shooting freehand is very mild. Off the bench is a different story.

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i155/pbgeologist/BRNO602-1.jpg

Here's a group off the bench (front rest only) using the express sights at 100 yards.

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i155/pbgeologist/S5000033.jpg

Reid73
May 21, 2009, 05:15 PM
I agree with SaxonPig that a 602 in excellent condition, with original 'express' sights but no rings, should go for about $900.

A chopped barrel like that on geologist's rifle would likely affect the price by approx. $150. Whether it would increase or decrease it depends entirely upon the purchaser's prejudices.

sahunter
May 27, 2009, 03:24 AM
I am glad to see there is still great enthusiasm for the BRNO 602. I have one in 375 H&H and one in 458Lott. I have used the 375 for virtually everything I have shot. It was the first rifle I ever bought. The 25" barrel is a bit long but really wouldn't go to the trouble to shorten it unless I really want it short like geologist's.

I also wouldn't go to 375 RUM. The recoil will be hell unless you are standing and if you really are going to shoot "that far" you will need to be prone to do so. Just shoot the 375HH, get to know your rifle and it is good to 300m, easy, even with 300grainers.

I think the 602's are probably the finest, strongest and well designed big game rifles out there. The 602 has double square bridge and thus scope mounts attach right onto the action. There is not intermediary metal (scope bases) held on by tiny screws that can shear off under heavy recoil. Warne mounts are about the best for the BRNOs for the money. I am dissappointed in the Leupolds as they don't seem to align with the dovetails. Must be an inches/mm thing.

The safety on the 602 works the "right" way. Put your thumbs on it in safe position and then pull the gun up to your shoulder. Your thumb automatically rolls back as your firing hand slides into position and pulls the safety (backwards) into the fire position. The set trigger is SIMPLE with only 2 or 3 stout metal parts to it. If you go with the standard trigger (original 602's came with both) its one piece of metal. Although the actions start out rough, and they certainly do, if you work the bolt you will end up with a glass smooth action.

Personally, I would not rate the new CZ550 in the same class. Although the action is virtually the same and as strong its the add ons that seem lacking. The thin set trigger is flimsy in my opinion compared to the robust 602 set trigger. I have a CZ550 in 3006 and have dismantled it to see the difference. The safety works opposite and if you look at it, it is one HUGE plate of metal. Not elegant and you should see how much of the stock had to be removed it accommodate it. Having said my piece I have never heard of any on the CZ's fail in stock or set trigger. However I still think the BRNO 602 is just a better built and designed rifle. But I may be biased.

I would hold onto any BRNO 602's I could. But if you really don't want to keep em I would be happy to buy em.

Attached is a pic of an old 602 in 375HH, a game scout was carrying. Notice it has no peep sight and even the front sight seems to be missing. I am sure it has never been cleaned but probably works despite it. Just hoped that the game scout could shoot straight.

Regards.

Reid73
May 27, 2009, 08:01 AM
I could be wrong but it appears that the front sight is simply obscured in the photo (behind the railing on the truck).

I also wouldn't go to 375 RUM. The recoil will be hell unless you are standing and if you really are going to shoot "that far" you will need to be prone to do so.Good point.

shinz
June 1, 2009, 07:01 AM
I watched a guy shoot a 416 Rigby from prone once & that is "once" in every way imaginable. He wasn't up to it again.:eek: There were several of us & we all commented later that we were waiting for someone to say something before he could fire. Damn.:D
Steve

If you enjoyed reading about "Brno ZKK 602-.375" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!