Action movies just aren't as much fun anymore...

PDA

brandnew
March 2, 2009, 01:24 AM
I liked them better when I was too uneducated to spot the errors in weapons handling and the inaccuracy of ballistics or tactics.

Example: I just watched a guy in a movie shoot an AR with a 30 round magazine on full auto for 6 seconds... what is that, a freakin magic bottomless magazine? Yeah, i would have thought that was cool a long time ago, but now...

Ruined, just ruined!

If you enjoyed reading about "Action movies just aren't as much fun anymore..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Hungry Seagull
March 2, 2009, 01:31 AM
I used to watch Marital arts movies and pick out the Ninjas making all sorts of mistakes.

It got so bad I could not bear to watch them anymore.

I dont mind the Bond, James Bond so much but, half the stuff has been Hollywood pixie dust to entertain the masses.

I see myself coming out of the movie hall having spent 30 dollars on myself and wife imagining that I can take down the entire mall with a sweep of a endless ammo equippted miniuzi or something.

No, Movies are for entertainment. I just became very selective.

Here are my suggestions.

Band of Brothers.

Saving Pvt Ryan.

Patriot Games.

Glory.

Etc

But once in a while along comes a movie when they TRY to get everything right. That is a wonder to behold indeed.

Gamera
March 2, 2009, 01:34 AM
You haven't seen movie weapon mistakes until you've seen Scifi channel original movies (every Saturday at 9:00pm EST). My favorite part of this weeks movie was some guy firing his revolver at a giant snake. It looked great... except for the fact that the cylinder wasn't rotating...

Oh oh, and then there's the whole "when you're out of ammo the gun just goes click and the slide doesn't lock back" thing...

Hungry Seagull
March 2, 2009, 01:37 AM
Or Battlestar Galatica (Spelling?)'s CO telling the Bridge to prepare the Surface to Air batteries when they are deep in space with not a bit of air for a very long way.

It's easier to watch Westerns, at least with the shooting they did with the rifles, it was more credible.

Matt-J2
March 2, 2009, 01:39 AM
Was watching something once, can't recall what, but the guy somehow cocked the hammer on a Glock.

warriorsociologist
I love how everyone always racks the slide when trying to intimidate someone they had just been chasing - like they didn't have a round in the chamber the whole time. :)

Gamera
Oh yeah and on BSG they use Beretta CX4s. I mean really? Get those space marines some plasma blasters or HK weapons please!

It's easier to watch Westerns, at least with the shooting they did with the rifles, it was more credible.

Anyone see Appaloosa? The gunfights in that were excellent. Quick and deadly.

Rockwell1
March 2, 2009, 01:43 AM
Or Battlestar Galatica (Spelling?)'s CO telling the Bridge to prepare the Surface to Air batteries when they are deep in space with not a bit of air for a very long way.

If you're going to complain about terminology you might as well fault them for calling "radar" "Dradis"

I always got a kick out of the scene in Rio Lobo where John Wayne is knocked into a river with a cap & ball revolver and comes up firing. :D

Hungry Seagull
March 2, 2009, 01:45 AM
Or the one with the Boilerplate inside of the blanket over the chest. Man that's gotta hurt.

GregGry
March 2, 2009, 01:53 AM
I have learned alot about things in general, and if I wanted to watch a movie for factual representation I would watch discovery/history channel and not movies. Then again thats mostly what I watch, and they don't even get things right sometimes :D

Hungry Seagull
March 2, 2009, 02:06 AM
Occasionally I watch the Military Channel over Satellite and I hang onto every little thing soaking it all in...

at the same time hammering the Show for revealing secrets to our enemies.

Cannot have it all.

David E
March 2, 2009, 02:34 AM
I love how everyone always racks the slide when trying to intimidate someone they had just been chasing - like they didn't have a round in the chamber the whole time.

You apparently are unaware of the thread about this very thing in Strategy and Tactics !

It's amazing how many folks carry chamber empty, citing such things as "spontaneous discharge" concerns, etc.

brandnew
March 2, 2009, 02:45 AM
You apparently are unaware of the thread about this very thing in Strategy and Tactics !

It's amazing how many folks carry chamber empty, citing such things as "spontaneous discharge" concerns, etc.

Your point being that bad guys chasing people are concerned with firearm safety? =)

HK G3
March 2, 2009, 04:42 AM
You haven't seen movie weapon mistakes until you've seen Scifi channel original movies (every Saturday at 9:00pm EST). My favorite part of this weeks movie was some guy firing his revolver at a giant snake. It looked great... except for the fact that the cylinder wasn't rotating...

That's nothing. I specifically recall watching one Sci-Fi original where someone was using a bolt-action rifle (believe it was supposed to be a 1903, but I wasn't positive) as a full-auto rifle. The actor feigning recoil was also grossly out of synch with the CGI muzzle flashes. :scrutiny:

Dr. Fresh
March 2, 2009, 05:10 AM
I don't demand realism in movie gunfights, I just want the illusion of realism.

For example, the gunfight at the end of Open Range felt realistic, but it clearly wasn't, what with the endless ammo of Costner's SAA and the massive knockdown power of a shotgun, etc.

BHP FAN
March 2, 2009, 05:22 AM
''Anyone see Appaloosa? The gunfights in that were excellent. Quick and deadly...''
yes I did,and I now put it right up there with the two best movies of all time...Outlaw Josie Wales,and Ride With The Devil!

Gamera
March 2, 2009, 05:33 AM
Not all movies have it bad though, this scene (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeNPJ0fgWVY&feature=related) from Collateral is excellent, and appears to be pretty realistic.

sm
March 2, 2009, 05:54 AM
I watch the movie for the movie and don't really worry about it.
Sure, if there is some great handling, as in Thief, Way of the Gun, Heat, Collateral....I appreciate it.

Return of the Pink Panther I watched again recently. Now we all know about the Rules of gun safety and all, still that movie is just funny.

The Chief has a lighter that looks just like his real gun. You know he is going to mess up, you just know it.
He does.
I don't care what you say, getting the lighter and gun confused , is funny!

*pink panther *

Gamera
March 2, 2009, 05:57 AM
The Chief has a lighter that looks just like his real gun. You know he is going to mess up, you just know it.
He does.

That whole scene was brilliant.

Oro
March 2, 2009, 06:11 AM
If you're going to complain about terminology you might as well fault them for calling "radar" "Dradis"

Ummm, you didn't do your homework. It isn't radar. It's "Dradis" which is a "radar"-like contraction for "DiRection, RAnge, DIStance." "Dradis." A presumably three-dimensional fix that would actually make sense in open space. There was never a discussion or "reveal" of the technology behind it, but that was the stated source of the word (it appears on the screens, as well as in the back story). It was one of their more credible "fake science" writing features. Wrong thing to pick upon.

I am a strict technical viewer, but I give BG a high pass on weapons and terminology - they keep it close enough to our terminology (mostly US Navy) so we don't have to guess a lot, and adapt it just enough to make it semi-realistic. I find it works really well, and I'm a damn critical viewer.

sm
March 2, 2009, 06:12 AM
Who Shot Roger Rabbit? Has some great gun stuff.

ROFL

I'm not bad, I'm just drawn that way - Jessica Rabbit

Oro
March 2, 2009, 06:13 AM
Thief

Watched that last year. Great gun movie. Loved that long slide Colt. Love Jimmy Caan. The long slide was a Jim Hoag creation, btw. I have heard from many, and find credible to myself, the gun-fight in Open Range. A great gun movie I think. There was a critisim that
with the endless ammo of Costner's SAA but if you watch he reloads at a deliberate speed between each cylinder. Watch closely. I have the DVD and have quite a few times. One of the beauties of this movie is it exactly conformed to the way gunfights went according to winners like, oh, that guy in Dodge City, what's his name - Tombstone, too, oh, oh, yeah - Wyatt Earp. As he always insisted - "slow and deliberate" wins. And I've made the pilgrimage to Tombstone to check his work. I'm kind of a thorough guy like that.

ATW525
March 2, 2009, 08:21 AM

"Manticore" is one of the worse. The main characters are part of a U.S. Infantry squad, but they ride around in what appears to be a BTR type vehicle and their rifles are really AKs with AR-15 look-alike parts bolted on.

Gamera
March 2, 2009, 09:13 AM
ATW, you and me will get along just fine :)

Some of my favorite scenes are from "Skeleton Man". Ok so besides the fact that there's a squad of elite and well-endowed special forces babes...

-One of the girls looks trying to spot the enemy... her 1911 at the ready... but she's completely oblivious to the fact that the slide is locked back...

-EVERY one of the l33t spec ops squad fires from the hip...

-Apparently special forces units carry MP5s for mid to long range forest combat...

-Guns routinely change into different guns. I blame this on the editor.

So much more...

Kind of Blued
March 2, 2009, 09:24 AM
As someone who is also afflicted with the disease (Yelling at the TV), I can highly recommend the film "Heat". :)

It turns out there are actually quite a few firearms errors, but I didn't notice them really. Nevertheless, seeing Val Kilmer do a PROPER reload on an M16 Commando WHILE taking cover behind an vehicle is SWEET.

"YEAH! Didjoo see 'im smack that bolt catch! This movie rules!"

"Settle down honey. You're spilling the popcorn."

Duke of Doubt
March 2, 2009, 09:48 AM
Possibly the most realistic fictional gunfight I've seen was the train station shootout in "The Untouchables." Asymmetrical threats, inexperienced shooters, poor fighting positions, out-of-shape gunfighters with unhealthy personal habits, innocent and maybe-not-so-innocent bystanders, inaccurate pistols, fratricidal full-auto bursts, and the staggering power of a shotgun blast delivered at close range. Topped off by Andy Garcia making a really nice intermediate-distance head shot with the Colt Army Special, fired single action.

A close second for realism is the climactic bar-room shootout in "State of Grace."

ATW525
March 2, 2009, 10:09 AM
In a similiar vein to my "Mantacore" observation, in "Leon" (aka "The Professional") at least one of the SWAT guys is carrying an AP-74 style rifle with flare launcher instead of a real M16. The biggest give away is that he holds it muzzle up clearly exposing the .22 LR magazine for the camera.

I won't even go into the absurdity of setting up a machinegun on a tripod to fire a rifle grenade down a hallway in that movie.

heron
March 2, 2009, 11:08 AM
Early on in "The Hunting Party," there's a scene of some urban combat, and you get a quick close-up side view of some AK-type weapon, just the barrel, mostly. It's equipped with a slant muzzle brake -- installed upside-down -- and it works perfectly, full-auto burst, and no muzzle climb!

If you can stand that, though, the rest of the movie is really quite good.

Davionmaximus
March 2, 2009, 11:29 AM
This is one of the funniest threads ever:D I laugh at television gun fights all the time. Especially when someone gets hit w/ a shotgun and gets blown out a window...

Shung
March 2, 2009, 11:39 AM
for the ammo count in Open Range with Kostner SAA, you have to consider that the same shooting is show under 2 or 3 camera angles.. which repeat most of the shots..

What bothered me more were the 44WCF rounds from his Winchester 1873 rifle flying slower than the pellets of my first pellet gun.. ;)

in Broken Trail there some good shooting from Robert Duval as well . Not to mention Geronimo.

Unforgiven was good as well.

geologist
March 2, 2009, 11:41 AM
Heat.

Hungry Seagull
March 2, 2009, 11:52 AM
What about "The Quick and Dead?" With Gene Hackman and others?

benEzra
March 2, 2009, 12:09 PM
I used to watch Marital arts movies and pick out the Ninjas making all sorts of mistakes.
I didn't think we were allowed to discuss those on THR. :neener:

Hungry Seagull
March 2, 2009, 12:20 PM
No BenErza, not really. I brought that one up because I recall one in particular where it takes 10 ninjas like 45 seconds to cross the room one by one against a movie hero.

I will not talk about those movies again. Apologies.

jerkface11
March 2, 2009, 12:28 PM
Early on in "The Hunting Party," there's a scene of some urban combat, and you get a quick close-up side view of some AK-type weapon,

Wow that would be silly. "The Hunting Party" being a western and all. Gene Hackman with a scoped Martini was pretty awesome though.

Oro
March 2, 2009, 12:34 PM
As much as it's very old school, in Magnum Force, when Callahan (Eastwood with his S&W), and the evil motorcop (can't recall the name) with his Python shoot the combat course, that is pretty cool. Plus it creates the plot twist. Big bonus points.

I also like most of the gun work in Ronin. The BHP gets some deserved screen time which it sadly lacks given that it's not a hugely popular US gun.

Kentucky
March 2, 2009, 12:41 PM
No BenErza, not really. I brought that one up because I recall one in particular where it takes 10 ninjas like 45 seconds to cross the room one by one against a movie hero.

Err, I think he may have been making a play on the mis-spelling in your original post. Marital Arts Movies. :)

misANTHrope
March 2, 2009, 12:44 PM
I've seen some pretty ridiculous stuff in those marital arts movies before, too. I mean, come on... that kind of thing never happens with the maids at motels I stay at.

Delford
March 2, 2009, 12:49 PM
Oro - that was David Soul who went on to play in Starsky & Hutch.

To the poster who blames the editor:
I'm an editor and it's not the editors fault when the continuity coordinator doesn't tell the armorer to provide the correct piece. He can only edit what he gets, not what he wishes he had.

MK11
March 2, 2009, 12:52 PM
Two David Mamet movies: "Spartan" (nice 1911 and Sig work) and "Heist" (which the mob of CZ fans on this board would appreciate).

Make it three with "Homicide," with the NY cop using a BHP as a back-up-that's-really-his primary to his S&W Model 15.

benEzra
March 2, 2009, 12:56 PM

I will not talk about those movies again. Apologies.
What Kentucky and misANTHrope said. I love martial arts movies, and feel free to discuss. It's just that the martial arts and the marital arts are two different subjects, and that misspelling led to a very amusing Ninjas Gone Wild mental picture. :D

Hungry Seagull
March 2, 2009, 01:15 PM
DOH! :banghead:

:o

Gamera
March 2, 2009, 01:19 PM
To the poster who blames the editor:
I'm an editor and it's not the editors fault when the continuity coordinator doesn't tell the armorer to provide the correct piece. He can only edit what he gets, not what he wishes he had.

Point taken my friend! I didn't know there was such thing as a continuity coordinator, but from now on I will blame that person.

DeathByCactus
March 2, 2009, 01:35 PM
I feel ya OP. I can't enjoy the Die Hard series anymore. There are a few military based movies and shows that I can watch. For the most part though there are too many inaccuracies that I just can't stand. Either a problem with firearms not working as they really work, endless magazines, wrong weapon selection, failure of room clearing, failure of strategy and tactics on a military/swat level... I just don't watch action movies anymore. None of them are entertaining anyway. If only I was uneducated again.

leadcounsel
March 2, 2009, 02:59 PM
I wonder why Hollywood is frequently disinterested with accurate gunplay - lying doesn't tell a good story. Guns are cool enough, you don't need to make them magical.

It's funny how Hollywood makes drywall bulletproof, but makes men fly 10 feet after beeing shot... makes guns with limitless ammunition and never have a jam... handguns have a range of a mile accurately, and shotguns practically blow people in half... heros shoot accurately from the hip, yet trained villians can't hit anything to save their lives as the hero mows down hordes of villians with nary a scratch... and body armor would save you but for those "cop killing" bullets that punch holes in thick steel.

I have almost no respect for Hollywood and rarely contribute to it. I rarely go to the movie theater anymore, and only buy the deep discounted DVDs on the clearance racks.

With all this in mind, there are some great ones out there...
Saving Private Ryan
Band of Brothers
Heat
Ronin
Bourne Identity movies
Collateral

to name a few

Duke of Doubt
March 2, 2009, 03:03 PM
I thought they did a pretty good job with "Enemy at the Gates." Other than putting the wrong, "cooler" PU scope on the rifle, and reversing the rifle to left-hand in the lobby artwork.

Texian
March 2, 2009, 03:19 PM
Even 24 has fallen into this trap.....

Spyvie
March 2, 2009, 03:22 PM
Terminator, the Sara Connor Cronicles. Robochick come back into the house from standing watch, and proclaims it’s “all clear” as she racks the slide on her shotgun. Every time anything happens all the characters rack the slides on their carry pieces, sometimes it seems more than once.

I though No Country for Old Men had excellent gun handling, I especially liked the scene where he clears water from the barrel of the 1911 before re-inserting the mag and shooting the pit bull. I'm not sure I would have done that, but it was cool.

LoneCoon
March 2, 2009, 03:31 PM
One scene in "The Transporter" really bugged the heck out of me.

The standoff in the office. The girl is threatening everyone with the 1911 from about 2 feet away. The gun is constantly cocked and uncocked, when it could have easily been snatched out of her hands. Also, the Chinese guy firing one handed a giant revolver kinda threw me off. The rest of it was pretty good, though.

James T Thomas
March 2, 2009, 03:54 PM
It's a sad fact as you become older, but "It is written:"

"In much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow."

Also the phenomena is just a reflection of whom it is coming from; I mean what did you expect from the likes of Brad Pitt, John Travolta, etc.
They are the "blind leading the blind" out there; Hollywood.

LoneCoon
March 2, 2009, 04:22 PM
"In much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow."

Also: Ignorance is bliss.

Which is why I can't watch House without screaming "THAT'S NOT HOW LAB TESTS WORK WHARRGGBLLLL"

Duke of Doubt
March 2, 2009, 04:27 PM
LoneCoon: "Which is why I can't watch House without screaming "THAT'S NOT HOW LAB TESTS WORK WHARRGGBLLLL""

Which is why I could never watch legal shows for anything other than comedy. Except maybe for The Practice and The Guardian. Come to think of it, since Boston Legal shut down, there aren't any lawyer shows on the air right now, are there?

Rockwell1
March 2, 2009, 04:32 PM
Ummm, you didn't do your homework. It isn't radar. It's "Dradis" which is a "radar"-like contraction for "DiRection, RAnge, DIStance." "Dradis." A presumably three-dimensional

I think you missed my point (you must be a cylon) I have no problem W/ Dradis as a term I was trying to point out that calling Galactica's defensive batteries surface to "air" wasn't necessarily a misnomer.

But while we're here perhaps you can explain how Starbuck was able to eject from her viper in space in "You can't go home again" and not burn up as she entered the planet's atmosphere.

Or how there's air on Galactica's flight deck even though it's obviously open to space.

But what I really want to know is; is/was Felix Gaeta gay? :D :D :D

MS .45
March 2, 2009, 04:35 PM
I have gotten really bad at this lately. To the point of sometimes losing focus on the movie/tv show itself. Luckily my girlfriend thinks its cute.

Just started watching the Lost tv series on dvd. It is full of mistakes. Some too bad to let go. Like a guy's 1911 turning into a Sig halfway through the scene. Or a Sig turning into a HK.

I also do this with flashlights (another hobby of mine). I love to see a Surefire dressed up to look like a 1940's era flashlight in a period movie.

LoneCoon
March 2, 2009, 04:36 PM
Duke of Doubt: Come to think of it, since Boston Legal shut down, there aren't any lawyer shows on the air right now, are there?

Law and Order. So sort of.
/Thread Jack

Also: Heroes. It's nice to see that at least the military troops have good trigger control. Everyone else? Not so much.

Dope
March 2, 2009, 04:59 PM
I'm a bigger computer nerd and car enthusiast than I am a firearms aficionado. 99% of the content of action movies has my eyes rolling so much I think they're gonna fall right out of my head. It's so bad that I've learned to deal with it. I do appreciate it when they get their firearms handling/functionality correct, just like when they get their computer terminology correct (which has been pretty much, never), for example.

My favorite in regards to cars is the always-funny car chase scenes. Some guy is running from the cops in something fast, such as a 600cc+ crotch rocket. The 4500LB anemic cruisers are RIGHT on top of him the whole way on the straightaways. Uh huh. Or the 18wheeler catching...well just about anything. Or any of the "fast and the furious" car scenes. I especially like it when a car is racing to get away and they upshift the (probably automatic) transmission about 18 times as they accelerate. Or the roaring V8 sounds from the riced-out Honda Civic.

Of course, it wouldn't be as exciting otherwise, but sheesh. Just gotta turn off the brain and enjoy :)

Dope

DocBoCook
March 2, 2009, 05:00 PM
Lonecoon, that's why I don't watch E.R. and other shows like that. I worked in a E.D. for too long. Crap like that doesn't happen. Anyway, on topic, Max Payne was another bad gun movie

JT1JT1
March 2, 2009, 05:06 PM
In the Sci-Fci moves, I just love the sound of firefights and explosions in the vacuum of space...

Carl N. Brown
March 2, 2009, 05:15 PM
At least in Firefly you didn't hear an explosion in space unless the gas actually impacted the hull. There's a whole thread on Guns of Firefly here though.

In Dawn of the Dead (original not remake) the SWAT team guys carried obvious AP74 .22 LR rimfire clones of the M16, even doing a magazine check pulling an obvious .22lr magazine out of the fake .223 magazine. (I know, Dawn was horror not action, but there is a lot of bleed-over between the genres.)

MDG1976
March 2, 2009, 05:24 PM
What I can't stand is how everytime a gun is drawn in TV or the movies it makes a sound like it is being cocked

LoneCoon
March 2, 2009, 05:25 PM
DocBoCook: "Max Payne was another bad gun movie"

In it's defense it was based of an awesome game.

However, half the guys in one level carry Pancor Jackhammers. And here I thought there were only a few of them ever made!

TimRB
March 2, 2009, 05:29 PM
"I used to watch Marital arts movies..."

"Marital arts movie"? Is that a euphemism for "porn flick"? :)

Sorry-couldn't let it go.

Tim

sherman123
March 2, 2009, 05:32 PM
If anybody's seen Gridiron Gang besides the fact the whole movie was awful theres a gangsta/shoot em up scene in the beginning that makes no sense. He asks his "homey" for a "spare fo-fo". (Fo-fo is a slang term for .44 magnum if you didn't already know). His wannabe 50 cent homeboy then hands him a GLOCK. Don't know what caliber the GLOCK was but it definitely ain't .44 anything. That and a whole lot of people holding their sidearms sideways but that's in almost every movie anyway.

Duke of Doubt
March 2, 2009, 06:14 PM
I always gave kudos to Mad Magazine for calling their parody of a certain Coppola film "A Crock of [BLEEP!] Now."

Though Coppola may be forgiven for giving us Col. Kilgore.

Hungry Seagull
March 2, 2009, 07:09 PM
Ok Ok Ok Ok... **waves white flag.

Sorry I spelled it wrong sheesh. LOL.:rolleyes:

RDCL
March 2, 2009, 07:15 PM
One of my pet peeves about movie gun-play is that when someone shoots through a DOOR.....the wood splinters & has chunks ripped out where the bullets ENTER.

As you guys have.....I've fired zillions of rounds of just about every caliber there is into pieces of wood through out the years and bullets will ALWAYS make neat round little holes on entry.....sometimes barely noticeable.

Russ

KarenTOC
March 2, 2009, 07:24 PM
I love to see a Surefire dressed up to look like a 1940's era flashlight in a period movie.

It's a movie. The Surefire is an actor playing the part of a 1940's era flashlight :)

RDCL
March 2, 2009, 07:29 PM
To see a realistic gun battle check out this scene from a little known 1987 movie called "Matewan". It is based on fact, actually. It was a battle between Sheriff Sid Hatefield & Baldwin Felts agents during the coal mine wars in West Virginia.
Some bits are edited out I can see....but you get the jist of it. Really need to see the DVD to get the realistic audio of bullets wizzing & striking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nn5W6xDBNKc

heron
March 2, 2009, 08:20 PM
Quote:
Early on in "The Hunting Party," there's a scene of some urban combat, and you get a quick close-up side view of some AK-type weapon,
Wow that would be silly. "The Hunting Party" being a western and all. Gene Hackman with a scoped Martini was pretty awesome though.Ah, another case of two different movies with the same title. The one I'm referring to deals with a couple of reporters trying to locate some nasty, elusive warlord in some eastern European country.

brandnew
March 2, 2009, 09:08 PM
Yup, I've never understood why an actor who's about to play a prominent role in an action film that they KNOW they'll be using a firearm in doesn't just take a simple 2 or 3 day course to get basics down. It's even worse for actors who have been in multiple movies where they're required to handle weapons.

Just sad.

DocBoCook
March 2, 2009, 09:22 PM
Matewan clip didn't work

jerkface11
March 3, 2009, 01:33 AM
Ah, another case of two different movies with the same title. The one I'm referring to deals with a couple of reporters trying to locate some nasty, elusive warlord in some eastern European country. I figured it was something like that. The one I watched the other night was really good though. Hackmans wife runs off with an outlaw and hackman and his hunting buddies go after the gang with scoped Martinis (I'm not sure what caliber). They spend a good portion of the movie picking them off at long range.

Prince Yamato
March 3, 2009, 01:54 AM
Terminator, the Sara Connor Chronicles

My biggest pet peeve with the entire show is that they always cock an imaginary hammer on their Glocks. I seriously want to scream every time this happens.

And speaking of hammers...

In the video for Michael Jackson's "Smooth Criminal"; in the opening scene when Michael enters Club 23, a man grabs a snub nose revolver, clearly does not cock the hammer yet you still hear the cocking noise. Other than that, the video has some really great dancing in it.

Gamera
March 3, 2009, 05:31 AM
Wait... cocking the hammer on a Glock? :banghead:

heron
March 3, 2009, 09:47 AM
Wait... cocking the hammer on a Glock? Yes. It's an unwritten movie rule, weapons always have to make some kind of warning noise before they can be discharged. All weapons must make a noise, even knives. The audience has to have some threatening sound to build tension just before the gore flies.

shooter58
March 3, 2009, 10:44 AM
One film with pretty good (I thought) gun handling was "Tears of the Sun". Of course "The Outlaw Josie Wales" is classic.

Gamera
March 3, 2009, 10:54 AM
All weapons must make a noise, even knives.

Yup, like when the killer raises his knife and it goes *SHWING* for no reason.

LoneCoon
March 3, 2009, 11:20 AM
I may have to install a speaker on my knife for that reason.

I'd also have a button for lightsaber noises, if I'm going that route.

KarenTOC
March 3, 2009, 11:34 AM
I watched an early Columbo episode last night. A retired general is suspected of murder. The General shows Columbo his prized .22 competition target pistol. Never checked the chamber, and after sweeping Columbo a few times and doing some practice aiming in the middle of his living room - finger on the trigger at all times, of course - he hands the gun to Columbo. To check to see if it's been recently fired, Columbo points the gun at his own nose and sniffs the end of the barrel.

:::sigh:::

cuervo
March 3, 2009, 12:41 PM
I was channel surfing one night and caught the beginning of Escape from New York. The guards escorting Snake down the halls were carrying AR15s without hand guards or gas tubes.

(They looked really slick, though.)

Carl N. Brown
March 3, 2009, 03:12 PM
RDCL wrote 3-2-2009:

One of my pet peeves about movie gun-play is that when someone shoots through a DOOR.....the wood splinters & has chunks ripped out where the bullets ENTER. As you guys have.....I've fired zillions of rounds of just about every caliber there is into pieces of wood through out the years and bullets will ALWAYS make neat round little holes on entry.....

That's what happens when I shoot bullets fired from a gun through wood too, but what the movies do is they drill a hole in the wood, insert a squib charge (small explosive) with hidden wires and shoot with a camera as someone off screen fires the squib with a battery. Same with movie bullet wounds, they put a little bag of "blood" over the squib on the actor so you see an exit wound effect as the bullet blows out gouts of blood and big holes in the shirts on entry. Real-life entry wounds can be mistaken for icepick stabs: the skin stretches around the bullet nose and snaps back.

At least they don't put little bags of "blood" over the squibs in the doors.

sernv99
March 3, 2009, 03:18 PM
Collateral with Tom Cruise....the behind the scene extras shows him training with an ex-SAS guy who showed him some shooting styles...Cruise taking out those two rugrats in the alley and also firing into the blonde Korean guy at the club were pretty good.

parrothead2581
March 3, 2009, 03:28 PM
The "click" of a hammer cocking drives me crazy...especially when they're using a Glock or an already cocked pistol/revolver!

Karl Hungus
March 3, 2009, 04:46 PM
I was looking at DVDs earlier today. Saw the DVD for Wanted - that movie with Angelina Jolie where they curve the bullet path by whipping the pistol around. The DVD case looked like a window with a bullet hole in it. In the bullet hole was a fired casing. Up until then I was unaware that the whole cartridge came flying out of the barrel. I'll have to watch for that next time i'm shooting.

One of my favorite things is when some guy gets shot with a 9mm and flies backward 10 feet like he got blasted with a recoilless rifle or something.

LoneCoon
March 3, 2009, 05:04 PM
You mean your 9mm doesn't strike targets with the force of a howitzer? Clearly, you're using the wrong loads.

RonE
March 3, 2009, 11:24 PM
To dispell your disappointment in action movies and to see lots of action watch the current shoot-um-up "TAKEN". I saw it this past weekend and it was great!

Car chases, gun fights, knife fights and hand to hand. A lot of everything.....including explosions and heavy machinery and electricity killing people.

Dr. Fresh
March 4, 2009, 02:11 AM
but if you watch he reloads at a deliberate speed between each cylinder. Watch closely. I have the DVD and have quite a few times. One of the beauties of this movie is it exactly conformed to the way gunfights went according to winners like, oh, that guy in Dodge City, what's his name - Tombstone, too, oh, oh, yeah - Wyatt Earp. As he always insisted - "slow and deliberate" wins. And I've made the pilgrimage to Tombstone to check his work. I'm kind of a thorough guy like that.

I was referring to the very end when the bad guy is pinned down in the building and Costner fires off an endless stream of bullets at him without reloading. That and the shotgun blast that knocks the guy 10 feet are the most unrealistic parts of the gunfight. That said, I love that scene! :-D

Anyone else get a kick out of the gunfight in American Gangster? I particularly like the guy who tries to fire birdshot through the door and it ends up ricocheting into his face. Haha

Karl Hungus
March 4, 2009, 07:10 PM
To dispell your disappointment in action movies and to see lots of action watch the current shoot-um-up "TAKEN". I saw it this past weekend and it was great!

Taken was the best action movie I've seen in a long long time. A lot of it was fairly far-fetched, but the pace was so relentless that you didn't really notice. Talk about a human pit-bull!

Ctone03
March 4, 2009, 10:38 PM
It's painfully obvious when you go frame by frame - http://fateoflegions.blogspot.com/search/label/Movie%20Guns

At this point, all those mistakes are my bread and butter. Now I firmly believe that they give a film personality, despite it being so dagone annoying.

My wife usually doesn't say a word when we watch a movie and I point out the mistakes, except when some dude pumps a shotgut six times to emphasize his point. My wife knows how to work a pump shotgun, and rolls her eyes in anticipation because she knows I'm going to point it out. That has to suck.

LoneCoon
March 4, 2009, 11:41 PM
Road to Perdition. Okay gun handling, except for the pointless uncocking of the 1911's. I did like how Jude law's weapon of choice was a .32.

Then again, Tom hanks mows down five guys from 100+ feet away with a Tommy gun. Possible?

evan price
March 5, 2009, 02:58 AM
Another of my pet peeves (and yes, it's not guns) is movies of a period setting that use vehicles which are obviously not of that era, but painted or "aged" to look like they were. Like for example an early 70's themed movie that uses a Brinks armored car with an obvious late-80's Ford F700 fiberglass nose with rectangular sealed beam headlamps.

BrokenButterfly
March 5, 2009, 03:13 AM
Or the one with the Boilerplate inside of the blanket over the chest. Man that's gotta hurt. I think it was a Clint Eastwood movie. What annoys me most is when people think that the entire round (not just the lead) is shot out of the gun like it is a rocket propelling itself or something.

If you enjoyed reading about "Action movies just aren't as much fun anymore..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!