AR15? Should I buy one?

PDA

HD Fboy
March 2, 2009, 07:45 AM
I have an old Mini 14 that has had around 100 rounds run through it and is in pristine condition. I am considering selling it at a gun show in the next couple of weeks and buying an AR15. I have no idea what my Mini 14 is worth, what AR to purchase, or what the AR will cost?

Any comments????

If you enjoyed reading about "AR15? Should I buy one?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
madcratebuilder
March 2, 2009, 08:51 AM
Look at gunbroker.com to get current pricing. Better hurry, it's coming.

zx12rider
March 2, 2009, 08:54 AM
and buy the AR-15. They are great guns and a ton of fun.

jlg
March 2, 2009, 09:11 AM
I don't think anyone has ever regretted buying an AR...other than maybe the fact that it started an addiction.

DPMS had the Panther Lite for $725 recently and may still have. That's about as cheap as I've seen a new one.

MachIVshooter
March 2, 2009, 09:22 AM
If this were pre-Nov. 4th, and you just really wanted an AR, I'd so go for it. But with AR prices being so inflated, and the fact that you already own a reliable .223 semi-auto, I'd recommend keeping the mini and buying an AR if/when you can.

Zach S
March 2, 2009, 09:26 AM
I got no love for the Mini's, but keep yours. And buy an AR.

Gunther
March 2, 2009, 10:14 AM
Keep the Mini-14 and bury it as a redoubt gun and buy the AR, but don't fool around, times gettin short. As far as make and Model its an individual thing, but right now its what you can find and what the price is. A M-4 for $1600 vs an A-2 for $8-900. Depends how much you want it. Then the magazine hunt starts and I hope you have some 223 put back. Its not too late but make up yer mind and get crackin. Good Luck!

HD Fboy
March 2, 2009, 10:21 AM
OK, Which AR should I be looking at. In the old days Colt was the only game in town. Now there are lots of choices. What are the differences? I think I want to stay with 223. I also think I would like a dot style sight.

Gunther
March 2, 2009, 10:35 AM
Again, it depends what you can find right now. I have only bought Colts over the years but now have an DPMS AP-4 308 that I really like. I have shot cheaper guns Olympic and parts guns and you get what you pay for. DPMS, Rock River, Colt should be good choices overall, IF you can find them at a decent price, which takes some doing in my neck of the woods right now. Get your gun and then if you want a dot site you got ALOT of choices to go though. As final note after reading all these AR posts with all the problems described I personally have never had any problems with my Colts running,(my 2 cents)

The Deer Hunter
March 2, 2009, 11:14 AM
I have an old Mini 14 that has had around 100 rounds run through it and is in pristine condition. I am considering selling it at a gun show in the next couple of weeks and buying an AR15. I have no idea what my Mini 14 is worth, what AR to purchase, or what the AR will cost?

Any comments????

What's the matter with the rifle you have?

kwelz
March 2, 2009, 11:20 AM
No you should not buy 1. You should buy 2 or 3 at least.

husker
March 2, 2009, 11:35 AM
i say colt but what ever is available in your price range

The Deer Hunter
March 2, 2009, 11:54 AM
Don't buy a rifle because everyone is making a hype over them. If you like your Mini 14, then keep it and shoot it.

CoRoMo
March 2, 2009, 04:22 PM
Which AR should I be looking at.

Look at them all, handle them all.

What would be the intended use of this tool?
For plinking and the occasional varmit kill, almost any AR on the market will do so buy the one that you like most for the price. Your mini is suited for that already, so if that is the breadth of your needs, you should be happy with it.
For a HD weapon that you would need to depend your life on, opt for something with high quality.

M4 Carbine Chart (http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=pwswheghNQsEuEhjFwPrgTA&hl=en)

Consult Rob's chart (above) that illustrates the quality differences in some of today's M4 carbines. For HD, I'd recommend everything from the M&P15 and those to the left of it.

I highly recommend LMT.

61chalk
March 2, 2009, 04:40 PM
If you like your mini 14, keep it..I have had 2 AR's an both an the present one is Colt, I think that all of
the other brands are up to task, my friend had a mini, but wasn't near as accurate as my AR, anyway he got a AR, an wasn't diappointed....I wonder with all the AR's being produced, if in a few years there will be guys selling an there value will go down...? I have shot the mini 14, but I just always liked my AR better, espically shooting past 100 yds.

MT GUNNY
March 2, 2009, 04:42 PM
Keep the MINI 14 . Yes Buy a AR15 just watch the Amount you Spend on it.

Ratshooter
March 2, 2009, 05:46 PM
Here is a tread I started a few days ago.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=431665

I went to the gunshow last weekend. There were lots of ARs for sale. I saw several AKs. Several were walking around with ARs on their shoulder for sale.

I only saw one person filling out paperwork for a purchase. I have no idea what they bought. I think the folks that wanted an AR have bought them. Either that or the price has reached the point were they are no longer an option. There wasn't much ammo for sale either.

I would guess finding an AR would be easy now. Just get ready for the sticker shock.

husker
March 2, 2009, 07:52 PM
i dont think their ever going to go down in price. i just dont see it happening. just my 2 cents. if you got the money nows the time

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
March 2, 2009, 07:53 PM
Don't sell (even though I hate Minis). Save up and get 1-5 ARs when you can. This is not a good time to be making a trade like that, as it's a seller's market for EBRs.

Walkalong
March 2, 2009, 08:30 PM
Yep, keep the Mimi 14. Buy an AR when you can. Deals pop up if your lucky. Be patient. If no ban comes soon, the price will be just right.

HD Fboy
March 2, 2009, 08:48 PM
OK, Stopped by the gun store. Bushmasters were $800, colts were $1150 to $1800. I am a good customer and usually get 10% of their asking price. I went through the spreadsheet and it told me some of the differences. What are the intrinsic differences?

Gunther
March 2, 2009, 09:52 PM
I don't know what you are looking for when you say intrinsic differences. The Colt is a 100 percent Military rifle. Parts x-rayed, magafluxed. Colt has been a military supplier since the 1960's so they should have it down by now. I can elaborate further if I knew what your looking for exactly

model of 1905
March 2, 2009, 09:59 PM
Make sure you look at this one.

http://www.danieldefense.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=141

You can buy it for less than a colt with all the features plus more. I just bought one after doing much research.

PT1911
March 2, 2009, 10:06 PM
you should definitely attempt to buy one... DPMS has many options... I have their sportical model which is an optics ready carbine. I put a 3x12 scope with a green and red illuminated reticle on it and have not looked back... good luck finding one...

Gunther
March 2, 2009, 10:12 PM
I have to agree with PT1911, get one. Unlike some folks I dont see this getting any better or lots of guns being available down the road

moooose102
March 2, 2009, 10:15 PM
depends on a lot of things. for me, i just can not justify $1200-1400.00 for a play toy,:( that my state practicaly makes worthless:fire:. the only place i could ever use a 30 round magazine, is at the shooting range. since i do like 99% of my shooting out in the woods, i would have to use a 5 round magazine all of the time.:banghead: for 1/2 the price, i can buy a nib remington 750 243, and have the same amount of fun. and if you think about it right, i guess i could buy $600.00 worth of ammo, and reloading supplies and have a helavalota fun for the same price as just tha ar15. sad, but true.

RP88
March 2, 2009, 10:30 PM
don't let the possibility of a ban force you into buying one; the ban may not happen this time around. Buy one if you can afford it, and because you want one.

HD Fboy
March 3, 2009, 07:15 AM
please tell me the differences in the LE Colts and the Recreational Colts.

Storm
March 3, 2009, 10:52 AM
don't let the possibility of a ban force you into buying one; the ban may not happen this time around. Buy one if you can afford it, and because you want one.

Amen to that.

First off, the ban isn't happening so quick, if at all, and after the Holder statement and the congressional reaction to it a ban just got far less likely for the foreseeable future. Panic buying is already subsiding, at least around here, and when guns begin to sit (and I'm seeing AR15's sit) prices will move back down.

Buy the gun if you really want one, but don't let it be a knee-jerk reaction.

HD Fboy
March 3, 2009, 11:05 AM
Thanks! I have decided to go ahead and buy one and a load of ammo for the guns I own. This is something I have been thinking about for some time.

osteodoc08
March 3, 2009, 11:39 AM
I bought a Stag Arms M4gery last year and love it. I've put countless rounds thorugh it. I'd venture to guess 1500-2000 so far. Not a single malfunction.

Gunther
March 3, 2009, 08:49 PM
Let us know what you get and how you made out.GoodLuck!

HD Fboy
March 4, 2009, 08:17 AM
After my research, and once I got to the store, there was no negotiation on the price of any AR-15's. At 1000 on a Tuesday morning and it was like Christmas Eve. I looked at the ammo available (all smaller than 77gr). I purchased a S&W M&P 15 MOE for $1150. They had one Colt M4 for $2,000, I could not justify the differences in price.. I also purchased some Federal 55gr FMJ ammo which should be a good match. Based on my research, the biggest difference between the colt and the S&W is the barrel twist and composition. (There are other differences but for me they don't matter). This gun will be a shooter not a closet queen. I must say, I just love the way my cheek instantly locks to the stock. I believe this rifle will out shoot any gun I have ever owned. Looking forward to the weekend.

SwampWolf
March 4, 2009, 07:31 PM
But did you keep the Mini? :uhoh:

Sagetown
March 4, 2009, 11:37 PM
Congratulations HD Fboy: I purchased a S&W M&P 15 MOE :D

Those are nice. Enjoy it..........................:)

PeteyPete
March 4, 2009, 11:54 PM
Congrats! Put some pics up when you get a chance!

If you enjoyed reading about "AR15? Should I buy one?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!