Help me identify this S&W .38

PDA

tgunner
March 2, 2009, 03:48 PM
I just recieved this Smith and Wesson 5 shot revolver from a friend. I'm not entirely sure what model it is. I know its not a model 1 because they were only made in .22. I'm not sure if its a model 2 because the pictures I've seen of the model 2 are different and I don't know if they made it in a .38. I think it could be a model 3 but all the pictures I've seen of them have trigger guards. It has a 3.25" barrel and the automatic empties ejector. So I'm hoping you experts can help me out. Thanks in advance for the help.

If you enjoyed reading about "Help me identify this S&W .38" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Jim Watson
March 2, 2009, 04:01 PM
It is a S&W .38 Single Action First Model, commonly known as the Baby Russian.

I think it is one of the Model 2 series but I am away from my book.

Jim K
March 2, 2009, 09:16 PM
Jim is correct. It is the .38 Model Number 2, First Model, aka the "Baby Russian". Confusion reigns because S&W numbered models within a caliber. Also, many of the model numbers used today were invented by collectors to describe variations of guns that S&W just called by a name, like ".38 Single Action."

The Baby Russian is a desireable collectible, but condition is very important. Those guns range up to $1700 and more, but I would judge that gun, in that condition, to be worth around $300.

Jim

tgunner
March 4, 2009, 12:32 PM
Thanks for the help guys. I really appreciate it.

red_metallic
March 5, 2009, 08:47 AM
A very similar condition on sold on gunbroker for $425 (buy it now). I know only because I was watching that auction.

If you enjoyed reading about "Help me identify this S&W .38" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!