7.62x54R which one is the best

PDA

Bill2e
March 2, 2009, 09:56 PM
What is the best Surplus 7.62x54R right now, Russian, Bulgarian, ect...

Who's got the best deals?

If you enjoyed reading about "7.62x54R which one is the best" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
nathan
March 2, 2009, 10:22 PM
Almost all have dried up for some reason. But the Russian surplus is the way to go inspite of the price increase.

rangerruck
March 2, 2009, 10:47 PM
Generally speaking, the tops are the russian, hungy, czech, in mostly that order.

rangerruck
March 2, 2009, 10:48 PM
Best deals? check our boys at ammunitiontogo.com, they usually beat most everyone else...

wnycollector
March 2, 2009, 11:24 PM
I have had excellent luck with bulgarian and hungarian light ball in my 91/30.

Hashshashin
March 2, 2009, 11:26 PM
I use the Russian if I'm goin' with the surplus stuff

dispatch55126
March 2, 2009, 11:30 PM
Russian or Hungarian are my picks.

Matrix187
March 2, 2009, 11:54 PM
Hungarian Silver Tip Light ball is awesome..

SimpleIsGood229
March 3, 2009, 12:34 AM
I think it depends upon what your rifle(s) like(s).

Duke of Doubt
March 3, 2009, 01:01 AM
East German.

Acheron
March 3, 2009, 01:53 AM
I have heard nothing but positive reviews for the Russian ammo. I've had really good luck with Czech silvertip over the years and I have cans and cans of Bulgarian and Hungarian light and heavy ball that I've yet to shoot. If you're shooting a Mosin, individual guns can be picky as to what 54R they like the best. For instance my 91/30 does not like modern commercial ammo (except for Prvi) but will gobble up surplus and handloads all day.

jpwilly
March 3, 2009, 10:44 AM
I've shot lots of different surplus and for the most part is all shoots the same. The 7N1 Sniper ammo was the most accurate and so was the Czech Silvertip ammo. I'm chewing my way through brass case Bulgarian surplus both light ball and heavy ball. I really like how smoothly it extracts compared to steel case ammo! Accuracy is good enough. I just don't think any of my Mosins are capable of 2moa or better most are 3-4 (with irons) one is only shooting just under 6" at 100yrds - Oh well! I have an Ex Sniper that I've yet to shoot maybe (hopefully) it will be the most accurate of the bunch.

Deer Hunter
March 3, 2009, 12:42 PM
Czech. It's been more accurate than my russian.

foghornl
March 3, 2009, 01:17 PM
My M-44 seems to like the 1963-vintage Czech 'Slivertip' pretty well, and surprisingly, even the 88 & 89 vintage Albanian stuff...usually some of the least consistant ammo from what I have read.

aka108
March 3, 2009, 03:19 PM
If you run across any Chinese in the sealed tin get it. Best stuff I ever shot. Brass cased, copper jacketed.

soldier147
March 5, 2009, 01:40 PM
Not ruining your post, but a gunshop owner told me to buy ammo that wasn't steel core because the steel could ruin the barrel. Is that true? he also said the brass casing with lead points is the way to go and would damage my 1932 mosin's barrel. Would the russian milsurp ammo be steel core as well?

doubs43
March 5, 2009, 02:30 PM
...a gunshop owner told me to buy ammo that wasn't steel core because the steel could ruin the barrel. Is that true?

There's a lot of misinformation floating around and IMO your gun shop owner's story falls into that category. If the steel-core bullets used by the Russians and Eastern Bloc countries would ruin the barrels of their rifles, it wouldn't make sense for them to use them. The bullets are jacketed with copper or gilding metal and that's the only thing that touches the rifle's bore.

Possibly the owner is confusing steel-core bullets with bullets that are made of a mild steel. They most certainly will accelerate wear in a gun's bore but if any such ammunition is available as surplus, I'm unaware of it. Past experiments with all-steel bullets have resulted in unsatisfactory results.

What WILL ruin your bore is not cleaning the rifle or pistol after firing corrosive surplus ammo in it.

PTK
March 5, 2009, 02:50 PM
I haven't had issues with any of the surplus x54R I've purchased - Hungarian, Bulgarian, Czech, Romanian, and Russian.

mordechaianiliewicz
March 5, 2009, 03:54 PM
Several of the ammo types work pretty well. The real issue is whatever you do, do not shoot Albanian in your rifle.

Also, some rifles like light ball (140-150 grain) stuff.

Others like heavy ball (especially the Finnish Mosins)

If you enjoyed reading about "7.62x54R which one is the best" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!