I bought an H&K today!

PDA

nwilliams
March 3, 2009, 02:23 AM
Well today I decided to give H&K another try. I have nothing against the company I just have never been a big fan of them. I owned USP Tactical for a while but sold a few years ago just because I wanted a new AR. Well a few years have passed and I decided the time was right to look for a new carry gun. I've been drooling over the H&K 45c for a while now and today I finally decided to go for it.

Anyway I couldn't be more happy with the 45c! I love the size, weight and feel of the gun and how it looks. The interchangeable backstraps are a great feature since I have somewhat large hands and prefer a larger grip. The grip is also nice sized and I like the thinness of it. I got to put only a hundred rounds through it today but it performed flawlessly and I was impressed with the accuracy and tame recoil. The size seems like it will be perfect for carry and I like overall ergonomics a lot. The trigger isn't as bad as I expected it to be even in DA and in SA its actually quite nice. The sights are bright and large so it's easy to stay on them through each shot. As I mentioned earlier the recoil is quit tame for such a light compact .45, comparable to a .40 in my opinion. The safety is also very nice, its long and easy to manipulate. Overall I'm quite pleased with my decision to go with the 45c, I ordered my Comp-Tac holster tonight so I should be able to start carrying it very soon!

Oh and of course I took some pics for you viewing pleasure;)
http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb264/nwilliams27/HK45c-1.jpg

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb264/nwilliams27/HK45c-2.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "I bought an H&K today!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
CPshooter
March 3, 2009, 02:42 AM
What a sweet sweet weapon that is....I'm green w/ envy! As soon as I get rid of the Ultra Carry II in my sig, I'm getting that same gun asap before I have to settle for one made in the US. Maybe the full-size HK45, but after seeing your pics w/ the larger backstrap installed I think I changed my mind. I got to hold a HK45c once and the only thing I didn't like about it was the smaller backstrap that was installed on it. It made the grip thinner towards the top, and almost gave it a Glock-like feel w/ the hump at the bottom of the backstrap. That larger backstrap gives the grip a contour that looks more appealing to me. With that backstrap I'd imagine it would feel like a mix between a USP .45 Compact and a P2000.

The only thing I don't like about the 45c is that they decided to put a military-style rail up front, but it's too short to accept any decent lights like the Surefire X300, for example. IMO they should have used a hook-style trigger guard like the P30 has instead of the straight one, so it would allow more clearance for the use of a Surefire light. It would make for a killer night-stand gun as well if they only did this.

Anyways...nice pics and even nicer pistol!

CPshooter
March 3, 2009, 02:52 AM
Forgot to ask..

How many backstraps does it come with? Is that a large or medium installed in your pics?

nwilliams
March 3, 2009, 03:16 AM
Just came with the small and large backstrap. The larger backstrap is definitely and improvement, at least for me it was. I would agree also that the rail is probably the one thing I would change about it, however I rarely end up using rails anyway so it's not a huge deal for me.

Jed Carter
March 3, 2009, 05:35 AM
NNNNNNNice! I'm saving, and none to slowly either, for the USP expert in .40 S&W. Sometimes quality isn't pretty, but this is. Enjoy it while we can.

C-grunt
March 3, 2009, 05:50 AM
H&K was going to send you a thank you letter in the mail.... but then they remembered that they hate you and you suck. :p

Just kidding....its late and I had a long day. Who robs and ice cream shop???

Very nice looking pistola you got there. Range report needed ASAP.

D-Man
March 3, 2009, 09:46 AM
Very nice......I also bought a HK45c the other week, though have yet to make it to the range (maybe tonight).

For the backstraps, it does come with 2, but I was thinking that the sizes were Small and Medium (at least the larger one had a M marked on it). I think I'm going to stick with the Small, and put a Hogue Handall Jr. on it - so far that feels the best to me.

Hope you don't need any additional mags right now, as they are difficult to find (and expensive of course).

benderx4
March 3, 2009, 10:15 AM
Welcome home, prodigal son, it's good to have you back!

I have the HK45 fullsize and firmly believe it's one of the finest overall weapons I've ever owned. Ever.

Other than my P7s, nicest trigger of all my HKs as well. Congratulations and happy shooting!

chancellor
March 3, 2009, 08:29 PM
Congrats. Very nice. I'm buying one tomorrow. Cheers.

D-Man
March 3, 2009, 10:20 PM
I shot mine for the first time tonight - and I'm very satisfied with my purchase.

It handles the .45 recoil nicely, and is extremely accurate to boot. Now I just need to get a lot more trigger time in!!

If you enjoyed reading about "I bought an H&K today!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!