Calling 10mm shooters

PDA

SsevenN
March 3, 2009, 10:08 AM
Hi folks.

Just order a Witness Match 10mm, I'm very excited.:D

I was wondering what you all use for defensive ammo in your 10mm Auto.
What is your prefrence for 2 legged dangers, vs 4 legged dangers?

There seems to be a wide variety of weights availible, and I was curious as to which you guys believe to be the best bet.

If you enjoyed reading about "Calling 10mm shooters" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
NELSONs02
March 3, 2009, 10:19 AM
Do a search. Double Taps are what I use when I want to smoke deer, they'll definitely work for humanoids as well.

atblis
March 3, 2009, 10:25 AM
You will get a lot of personal preference/opinions in this thread.

You need to roll your own (reload) for the 10mm. Costs me $7 or $8 bucks for jacketed reloads.

If buying, most people seem to like Double Tap. I've never bought from them as I can load the same ammo for ~1/3 the cost.

Georgia Arms is decent quality for the price, but they are very conservative with their loadings.

My personal preference for bullets is Hornady XTP as they are reliable performers even when pushed hard. That's part the reason they are popular for hunting.

tunnug
March 3, 2009, 10:26 AM
I had to spend some time in bear country and could'nt have a long gun so I got cor-bon for my G20

SsevenN
March 3, 2009, 10:38 AM
You need to roll your own (reload) for the 10mm. Costs me $7 or $8 bucks for jacketed reloads.

Hmmm, I've always considered using handloads for defensive purposes a poor idea. Something about the prosecuter implying pre-meditation of the shooting. But yes, for plinking, handloads all the way.:)

Double-Tap seems to be the most popular on Midway. What do you guys think about a decent weight? I live in a relativly urban area, and don't need over-penetration issues.

atblis
March 3, 2009, 10:54 AM
It depends. If your doing crap liking taking a knife and cutting bullets to the make them into to "dumdums" or some crap like that and going on a message board beating your chest about your new super killer gut splattering reloads, than yes, it is probably a bad idea.

If you're duplicating factory deer hunting loads, and that happens to be what you carry around, I highly highly doubt you'll have any problems.

The only court case that I can remember being brought forth regarding reloaded ammunition had nothing to do with intent or supposed increased lethality, but rather gsr.

EDIT: If you're interested in this, search the forum. There are some pretty lengthy and intense threads about it.

mjb
March 3, 2009, 11:07 AM
I have a Glock 20 and a Colt Delta Elite. I carry the colt in the woods and have it loaded with Double Tap. The Glock I keey at home and I have Winchester silvertip HP in them.

SsevenN
March 3, 2009, 11:08 AM
Thanks atblis.

I might just stock up on Barnes bullets and grab a bunch of brass from midway then.

No reason to pay the top-dollar prices if I can avoid it.......

SsevenN
March 3, 2009, 11:10 AM
Wow, Midway is wiped out.

I might just have to buy some ammo to get brass!

atblis
March 3, 2009, 11:16 AM
For bear stuff, 200 gr. You want penetration.

For deer 180 gr (though I suspect a 135, 155, or 165 would drop a deer). They aren't big thick critters, but it is usually better to lean a little towards penetration just to be on the safe side.

For defense, 135 up to 180. 200 isn't needed but would still work. The 155 gr XTP would be my preference. The 135s are interesting.

You can buy 10mm brass on gunbroker.com

MachIVshooter
March 3, 2009, 11:40 AM
The only 10mm load I carry is a 180 grain Golden Sabre over a very healthy dose of IMR 800x. From a 5" barrel, those nasty little bullets clock just over 1,400 FPS for nearly 800 ft/lbs. From my 3.5" Witness compact, average velocity is 1,343.

JWJacobVT
March 3, 2009, 11:43 AM
I carry PMC 180gr JHP for most everything. I do have a mag of 180gr TMC that I carry if I need to shoot through something. For hunting 180 or 200gr SWC handloads.

TxBaaylea
March 3, 2009, 11:51 AM
I bought 10mm Starline brass from Midway a few weeks ago. Good looking stuff. Why not place a backorder with Midway. In my experience backorders generally are filled quickly.

Vernon

TxBaaylea
March 3, 2009, 12:07 PM
I had an e-mail exchange with Forsters a few weeks back and found out that they were considering offering a .401 collet for their bullet puller. I will get one as soon as available and post my experience.

Vernon

atblis
March 3, 2009, 12:14 PM
10mm brass on gunbroker.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=123943644
That's about what you'd pay from Midway anyways.

SsevenN
March 3, 2009, 01:02 PM
Thanks for all the great advise guys.

I'm very excited to be in the '10mm club'.

It just seems like such a versitile calibre.

Since you guys are on a roll, I figure I might as well ask. Anyone know of a online vendor with Witness 10mm magazines in stock? Seems like all my regular shoping locations are all out with no ETA.

Thanks again.

atblis
March 3, 2009, 01:55 PM
CDNN investments sells some EAA mags
http://www.cdnninvestments.com/eaawi1015all.html
or
Hennings
http://henningshootsguns.com/shop/magazines.html
or
EAA directly

freakshow10mm
March 3, 2009, 02:03 PM
I handload XTP bullets in all the ammo I shoot and carry in my 10mm. I've never questioned myself about it.

Do you trust an hourly worker using components he never verified for quality or consistency over a person sitting in front of a press segregating each primer by .1gr, powder charge by hand to .0gr variance, bullet weight to the .1gr, case weight by .1gr? Each lot is a specific case, bullet, primer, and powder weight to the same number. Any given round loaded in my magazine will weigh exactly the same as any other. Accuracy and reliability are the product of uniformity.

The only hands I trust with my life and that of my family are my own. When my life is on the line I don't want it to be in the fate (figuratively) of a complete stranger called "inspector A897G".

The no handloads for carry is tinfoil hat stuff.

Beagle-zebub
March 3, 2009, 02:09 PM
You mean do I trust a machine over myself? Why yes, yes I do, just as I do with a calculator. I'm pretty sure the ammo factories aren't a warehouse full of people handloading the stuff, but rather an automated process.

freakshow10mm
March 3, 2009, 02:12 PM
Yes, a completely automated operation at the mercy of a stranger that might be watching the machine instead of telling his buddies about the piece of ass he got last night.

atblis
March 3, 2009, 02:14 PM
That's very true. You can have much more stringent quality standards with your own handloaded ammo.

freakshow10mm
March 3, 2009, 03:18 PM
Which is why I don't shoot factory ammunition. If I don't load it, I don't shoot it.

sqlbullet
March 3, 2009, 03:27 PM
I purchased my extra mags direct from EAA. They shipped them promptly (about a year ago).

FYI, these mags would not latch into my Elite Match. I had to remove the plastic basepad and remove some material that was acting as interference and preventing the magazine from fully seating in the frame. I did this with 400 grit sand paper on a sanding block.

SsevenN
March 3, 2009, 03:48 PM
Good to know. Thanks for the advise.

I can't wait to shoot this badboy. I'm picking up 500 bullets/brass with a 1000 count of primers right now. Also grabbing 100 factory loads from Double Tap (180 grn XTP's). I've become very comfortable with HP-38 pistol powder, is there any reason not to use it in my 10mm loads?

Okay, now I'm broke, the mags are going to have to wait anyways. :)

atblis
March 3, 2009, 04:00 PM
If there's published data for 10mm, go for it.

sqlbullet
March 3, 2009, 04:59 PM
HP-38 is a very fast powder, and will not deliver anywhere near the performance of the 10mm cartridge.

Hodgdon does list some data for it. They appear pretty anemic, pushing a 200 gr bullet only 1,000 fps. AA#9, Blue Dot and 800X are preferable burn rates for this catridge.

If it is what you have, it should be fine for target loads. For full power stuff, look to a slower powder.

Jed Carter
March 3, 2009, 05:04 PM
Hornady 180 gr XTP, Federal, Remington, Winchester, Cor-Bon all make fine ammunition, but from my experience all but the Hornady have had faliures. Hornady 10mm 180 gr XTP!

SsevenN
March 3, 2009, 05:26 PM
HP-38 is a very fast powder, and will not deliver anywhere near the performance of the 10mm cartridge.

Hodgdon does list some data for it. They appear pretty anemic, pushing a 200 gr bullet only 1,000 fps. AA#9, Blue Dot and 800X are preferable burn rates for this catridge.

Yeah I will have to check around locally and see what is availible. It's going to be a while before I dump another chunk of money into a bulk purchase. I'll keep my eyes open for blue dot and 800x. Thanks again guys.

7:)

Edit; Looks like HS-6 gets some impressive velocity.... *thinking*

GJgo
March 3, 2009, 11:24 PM
Well, I don't carry my 10mm around town for 2 legged self defense. I think it's overkill, and I sure as he** wouldn't want to have to turn it in to the police if I was unfortunate enough to be involved in a self defense situation.

In the woods, however, it does go with me for critter defense, and I run 180XTP behind a full case of AA9at around 1250fps. I think the 200 grainers are probably better, but no one sells them locally and I hate to mail order consumable supplies. I also think that 800x is faster, but I load all my hangun rounds on a progressive and I hear it meters poorly. Besides, if 180 at 1250 won't get it done, I've brought the wrong tool for he job..

If you enjoyed reading about "Calling 10mm shooters" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!