working mans rifle #2 (real version)

PDA

sprice
March 3, 2009, 11:20 AM
Well I have given it some more thought, and have decided on a few guns. I would like your input please vote on the poll and then leave your reasoning/ experiences in the thread. Sorry about the last one, I forgot the poll

-Thanks! They are all about $1,000 by the way. Which is a good price for a gun freak. Just what is the best one?

If you enjoyed reading about "working mans rifle #2 (real version)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
osteodoc08
March 3, 2009, 11:34 AM
Well as it is a working man's gun, I chose one that can be had for working man's prices....the vangaurd. It is an excellent firearm. If I had to chose an overall "working man's gun" It would either be a marlin lever or a Remington rifle. Go figure.

CoRoMo
March 3, 2009, 01:47 PM
No Model 700XCR, so I went with Weatherby.

X-Rap
March 3, 2009, 01:49 PM
I picked the Kimber cause I don't have one yet.

Big Bill
March 3, 2009, 01:51 PM
Weatherby - best gun for the money and guarantees accuracy.

JWJacobVT
March 3, 2009, 02:00 PM
None of the above.
More likely a Marlin Lever.
Please define "working man"

Thanks

little miss
March 3, 2009, 02:05 PM
working man define you must,my working mans gun is $159 Mauser .

JWJacobVT
March 3, 2009, 02:08 PM
OOPS I forgot my FR8, best working gun I have. Thanks little miss.

Bigfoot
March 3, 2009, 02:17 PM
Kimber Big Sky.

Light weight, great fit/finish.

a-sheepdog
March 4, 2009, 01:58 AM
I like Browning rifles, already bedded and every one that I have shot has been a great shooting rifle. I like the stainless/composite for inclement weather.

freakshow10mm
March 4, 2009, 02:03 AM
Those working guns are out of my price range.

Coal Dragger
March 4, 2009, 02:14 AM
That is tough between the Kimber and the Sako. Both are realistically just over the $1000 cap, but worth it to me.

I'd go for the Kimber most likely. I like the action and the stock better.

It would make a pretty good working rifle (leave out the man's part) with a tough kevlar fiber stock, and stainless barrel and action.

My only complaint might be that it's too light, but then again I doubt you are buying it as a target rifle to be shot frequently.

mickeydim468
March 4, 2009, 03:36 AM
I voted Weatherby cuz you don't have to pay extra to get sub-MOA. But I still think others said it all too well. You're out of the price range. I have a P17 that I paid $165.00 for but would really like a Savage 11 in 30.06!

Mikey!

jmr40
March 4, 2009, 07:50 AM
None of the above. Ruger!

The stainless Winchester is a possibility but they are not making them yet, may never. Weatherby's are nice rifles but are too heavy in my opinion. I simply do not like Brownings. The Kimber is the best choice on your list and probably a better gun than the Ruger, but it, and all of your other choices are too expensive to meet my definition of a "working mans rifle". At about half of the price of your choices the Ruger will do anything you need a rifle to do.

X-Rap
March 4, 2009, 12:37 PM
This working mans rifle being to expensive is begining to sound like a politicians argument for a raise in the minimum wage.
If its worth having its worth waiting and saving for.
In the early part of my life I learned to save and wait for a good deal on the guns I wanted. That view has served me well and since have accumulated some pretty nice items.
I guess I'm just trying to ease what is sounding like gun class envy and encourage people to strive for the things they want.

Don357
March 5, 2009, 12:16 AM
I couldn't choose one of the rifles you had listed, because you asked for "a working man's rifle". IMHO a Stevens Model 200 or a Savage Model 110 would be my choice. They are for all intents and purposes the same rifle, with a few minor differences, and are both under $400 to $500 for a new one. I paid $220 for my barely used Stevens Mod 200 in .308Win. I personally see no need to spend $1000 for an excellent hunting rifle when you can get one for half that or less.:cool:

shiftyer1
March 5, 2009, 12:43 AM
X-rap

As I agree with saving for what you want and waiting for a deal. To me a working mans rifle has always been defined as tough, fairly inexpensive, and reliable. I just don't think I could use a $1000 Kimber as a truck gun. But I would love to own any of the above mentioned.

Schofield
March 5, 2009, 12:52 AM
none of the above. I pick either a garand back in the day when it was like $200 or a yellowboy

280shooter
March 5, 2009, 12:55 AM
none of the above,

Winchester 94.. there is a working mans gun

Legionnaire
March 5, 2009, 09:50 AM
None of the above fit my understanding of a "working man's rifle." As posted to your other thread, that honor goes to a Remington 760 in .30-06 or a Marlin 336/Winchester 94 in .30-30.

My own "go to" gun is a Remington Model Seven in .308.

interlock
March 5, 2009, 09:54 AM
out of the choices above the sako is, for me the clear winner. However they are all good rifles.

jbech123
March 5, 2009, 10:01 AM
Weatherby cuz you don't have to pay extra to get sub-MOA
The sub-moa's are good rifles, but you actually do pay more for them than the regular vanguard, so your statement is not true.

jbech123
March 5, 2009, 10:04 AM
All your choices are fine rifles, but realistically, under hunting conditions, a stevens 200 will do anything any of them will do for $269. Especially when you call it a working man's rifle, $1K plus doesn't seem to fit with that term very well.

shaggy430
March 5, 2009, 10:16 AM
Buy a Tikka T3 for less than $600. Take the other $400 and buy a good scope.

Or you could buy a great used Rem 700 or Win 70 for $300 and bed the action and pass it down to your kid's grandkids one day.

What I am getting at is that none of your rifle's listed are "working man's rifles." If you already have a great rifle like the Browning Medallion and you are wanting something good to shoot that you are not scared to get dinged up, why buy another $1000 rifle? You already said you were going to ruin it by painting it camo in the other thread.

Just my $.02

Schleprok62
March 5, 2009, 11:30 AM
Must be a White-Collar Working man. I can't afford a Kimber, but, I can afford a nice Savage or Marlin that will do everything all of those rifles will for less... (with the exception going to the Vangurd - great rifle, good price point)

Cheers....

If you enjoyed reading about "working mans rifle #2 (real version)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!