I'd rather be lucky than good.

PDA

KBintheSLC
March 3, 2009, 04:56 PM
I was watching a WWII documentary a while back in which a veteran of the siege on Iwo Jima said that only luck spared him from death. He said that at one point in time, virtually every cubic meter of air space was filled by a high-velocity chunk of searing metal. He said that it didn't really matter how good you were when the lead started to fly. If you were not lucky, you were dead.

I wanted to see what your opinions are on what works best... lucky or good. I know that on the street, you are unlikely to see anything that resembles the beaches of Iwo Jima. However, we all know that criminals have all of the good weapons, so the likelihood of getting sprayed by an automatic Uzi or AK is slightly more probable. The likelihood of getting sprayed by a group of guys with semi-auto pistols is even more probable. Either way, when the lead starts flying, its anybodies game.

Ideally, we would want to be both lucky and good. But if you had to choose, what would it be? Can luck save you from poor tactics? Can great skill save you from poor luck?

If you enjoyed reading about "I'd rather be lucky than good." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
CoRoMo
March 3, 2009, 04:57 PM
I'd rather be consistently adequate.

Funderb
March 3, 2009, 04:58 PM
If you read up on police reports in any area, you will find that getting sprayed with an automatic anything is about as likely as being struck by lightening.

I'd rather be lucky, either way.

rbernie
March 3, 2009, 05:00 PM
However, we all know that criminals have all of the good weapons, so the likelihood of getting sprayed by an automatic Uzi or AK is slightly more probable. We do NOT 'all know this'. Can you provide a cite for it?

But if you had to choose, what would it be? Can luck save you from poor tactics? Can great skill save you from poor luck?I believe that there is wisdom in the old saw that chance favors the prepared.

KBintheSLC
March 3, 2009, 05:01 PM
If you read up on police reports in any area, you will find that getting sprayed with an automatic anything is about as likely as being struck by lightening.

Actually, here in Northern Utah, one is many times more likely to be struck by lightning. But thats not really what I am getting at here...

rcmodel
March 3, 2009, 05:01 PM
It seems the "gooder" you get, the luckier you also get.

WWII combat vets, or any other combat vet, will tell you the new guys were far more likely to make a fatal mistake.

rc

Funderb
March 3, 2009, 05:03 PM
^^ but the vets were new once too, and they got lucky to be good.

lucky begets good.

KBintheSLC
March 3, 2009, 05:03 PM
We do NOT 'all know this'. Can you provide a cite for it?

I understand what you are getting at. Most machine guns in this country are legally owned.

Obviously, I am not here stating factual statistics. However, I am assuming that it is far easier for a criminal to buy a machine gun due to the simple fact that they are criminals. All they have to do is come up with the money. They don't need to get permission from Uncle Sam and their BATFE.

Again... that is not the point of this thread.

Patrick_Henry
March 3, 2009, 05:09 PM
+1 for Good.

Extraordinary skill and determination has repeatedly pulled individuals through even some of the most unfortunate situations I can imagine. I've heard of luck pulling somebody through once, but repeatedly? That isn't very likely. Much avoidance of bad situation comes from skill not dumb luck. Remember, even in the story you are referencing, if armies were not well organized around objectives, and "good" individual would simply find a less dangerous way of neutralizing the threat... Most of us simply choose to avoid fighting anything where the odds get that low...

Pulse
March 3, 2009, 05:09 PM
in War, skills and personaly abillity saves you until the Artillery kicks in, the flyboys come down and the heavy armor rolls in, after that is it pure luck.

as long as the Criminals around you dont have Close Air Support, Artillery on stand-by and drive around in IFVs and MBTs, i would rather be good.

Lewis130
March 3, 2009, 05:10 PM
If you are lucky, every round you fire will be a fatal hit, and every round they fire will be a wide miss. A lucky person doesn't need to be good.
Sadly, luck doesn't tend to be consistently prevailent.

Thingster
March 3, 2009, 05:11 PM
Luck comes to those that prepare.

So I'll definitely agree with a couple other posters, the line between good and lucky can be very thin, very fuzzy, and in general not well defined.

The better you are, the luckier you'll be so I'd like to be good enough to be lucky consistently.

Claude Clay
March 3, 2009, 05:11 PM
rather be good and lucky

Boba Fett
March 3, 2009, 05:12 PM
I want to be good so I can make the most of my luck.

jnyork
March 3, 2009, 05:13 PM
Ever notice that the people who work the hardest and are the best prepared are always the luckiest?

Schofield
March 3, 2009, 05:15 PM
I believe that there is wisdom in the old saw that chance favors the prepared. Shoot! I want to change my vote.

Boba Fett
March 3, 2009, 05:22 PM
Schofield
I believe that there is wisdom in the old saw that chance favors the prepared.
Shoot! I want to change my vote.

Too late! You weren't prepared to vote and now yer outta luck :D

Welcome to the forum new member ^_^/

KBintheSLC
March 3, 2009, 05:23 PM
Ever notice that the people who work the hardest and are the best prepared are always the luckiest?

There could be some truth to that. I don't know if it is coincidence or divine intervention. But somehow, luck does offer itself more readily to those who reciprocate with effort.

mbt2001
March 3, 2009, 05:33 PM
Either way, when the lead starts flying, its anybodies game.

I kind of agree and disagree with this at the same time. I agree that if it is your time to go, it is your time, can't stop it...

But if you think for an instant that tactics, nerve and accuracy do not matter you are deluding yourself.

He said that at one point in time, virtually every cubic meter of air space was filled by a high-velocity chunk of searing metal.

I highly doubt that. I am sure he might have been taking heavy fire, but COVER is still COVER and ACCURACY still wins the day.

GTSteve03
March 3, 2009, 05:37 PM
Lucky.

Doesn't matter how good you are, if Lady Luck decides today the dice don't roll your way, nothing you can do about it.

Odd Job
March 3, 2009, 05:40 PM
Lucky is best. It is always ON.
Being good still requires you to be aware of a threat and take it on, or evade.
But even a blind hog gets lucky once in a while and finds an acorn.

Ditto_95
March 3, 2009, 05:48 PM
Why can't I be both?

Schofield
March 3, 2009, 05:58 PM
Lucky is best. It is always ON.
Being good still requires you to be aware of a threat and take it on, or evade.
But even a blind hog gets lucky once in a while and finds an acorn. i can't decide!!! :uhoh:

danweasel
March 3, 2009, 07:17 PM
Lucky beats good all day long.

It only takes one unlucky instance to erase all the good you work so hard for. It seems to me that dumb and lucky can occasionally beat good and prepared but even the best can jam/break a rifle, get hit by a mortar shell or a landmine, or catch malaria, or get into a bad rollover. Etc. These are some of the things that being good definitely will reduce but can never beat.

Of course this is assuming there is such a thing as "luck".

Anyways, I'm not either, so...

ThrottleJockey
March 3, 2009, 07:47 PM
I for one have found it to be true that SMART can take the place of both. If you are adequately SMART then you will appear lucky and be "good"!

TRGRHPY
March 3, 2009, 07:54 PM
Luck runs both ways...I'd rather be good. The strange luck that saves your butt one minute may be the bad luck that takes your head off the next. Somebody else said something similar, but luck improves with skill development.

Good luck happens and bad luck happens. Both come and go at will and at random. Skill and preparedness are always with you and will help get you through the bad luck, good luck is just a bonus. If you rely on good luck you should realy re-assess your thinking because when bad luck happens, and it will, you will not be prepared to use skill to help you get through it.

Quote:
Schofield

Quote:
I believe that there is wisdom in the old saw that chance favors the prepared.

Shoot! I want to change my vote.

Too late! You weren't prepared to vote and now yer outta luck

That was a good one! 20 points for being prepared.

2RCO
March 5, 2009, 12:32 AM
Good but Lucky here!

There are some situations that no amount of training can get you out of unless you are lucky as well.

DoubleTapDrew
March 5, 2009, 12:40 AM
According to antis and media we are likely to encounter roving gangs of 13 year olds equpped with M249 SAWs and concussion grenades.
In real life every pile of guns recovered from confiscation/shootings/etc. I've seen are by and large comprised of the cheapest hunks of junk you can get your hands on. Lots of lorcins, jennings, guns you'd want your opponent to have if he's going to shoot at you.
I'd rather be good. Luck is too unpredictable and out of my hands. Lots of people were unlucky in WWII too.

BrokenButterfly
March 5, 2009, 12:56 AM
I for one have found it to be true that SMART can take the place of both. If you are adequately SMART then you will appear lucky and be "good"! Uh okay that is like the dumbest thing I have heard. The choices are Good or Lucky. I pick lucky because you have to be active to be good but luck is completely passive. Good luck trumps good...goodness...

Frank Ettin
March 5, 2009, 01:08 AM
I'll take good. I think it was Thomas Edison who said, "The harder I worked, the luckier I got." Hard work and being "good" breed luck. Education and training are the best ways to get lucky -- in self defense and in life in general.

Pure chance is too fickle and comes in two flavors: good and bad.

cliffy
March 5, 2009, 01:15 AM
Carry a Battle Axe. cliffy

Gunfighter123
March 5, 2009, 03:00 AM
I guess I must be good -- as I ain't never won the Mega-Millions Lottery !!!!

But I would pick luck as long as it's good luck.

Eightball
March 5, 2009, 02:46 PM
I'd rather be lucky. Why? You can work on getting "good" later on......not so much with working to "be" lucky.

LightningJoe
March 5, 2009, 06:02 PM
I haven't seen many people get by on luck (although I've seen plenty try). Take the problem seriously, put in the hours, own the solution. That's 90% of being good. A lot of the rest is what psychometricians call g.

BrokenButterfly
March 5, 2009, 06:09 PM
The problem here is not everyone is comparing the two equally. So just think that if you had the choice of being whatever level of good you wanted or being the exact same level of luck. It would be better to be perfectly lucky then to be perfectly good.

CapnMac
March 5, 2009, 06:12 PM
Come to cases, I'll take 51% luck and 49% skill. But, I also know I can make my skills better--my luck seems to refuse that sort of influence <frown>

Consider the old saw, "Unlucky at cards, luck at love" do not believe either helped poor old Wild Bill in Deadwood that day.

If you enjoyed reading about "I'd rather be lucky than good." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!