9mm jsp

PDA

polekitty
March 3, 2009, 11:33 PM
Just ran across a type of bullet I've never heard of before. Maybe some one "out there" can enlighten me. The ammo was marked jsp w/o grooves. I've never run across anything either with or without grooves. What goes?

If you enjoyed reading about "9mm jsp" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Auburn1992
March 3, 2009, 11:35 PM
JSP stands for jacketed soft point, basically a full metal jacket with the nose of lead exposed (better for expansion).

Not sure what it means by 'with out grooves'.

ETA: Were these bullets for reloading? If so, it's possible that 'groove' is referring to the cannelure on the bullet.

schnarrgj
March 3, 2009, 11:39 PM
It is jacketed soft point. Most of your hunting rounds are that type. With handgun bullets, it is a regular jacketed bullet where the jacket ends before the tip with some exposed lead, but not a hollow point. Without grove means it does not have a cannelure for crimping. These are hunting bullets for handguns.http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=166416

polekitty
March 3, 2009, 11:54 PM
Thanks guys. Yes, I already speak fmj, jhp, jsp, etc. But grooves? It's a mystery. The ammo I mentioned was on the webpage of Sportsmensguide.com If I rememer rightly it was Fiocci. I've shot a lot of Fiocci and believe it is really superior ammo. I use it for practice, and have carried it in my sidearm. But grooves? Never heard of that before!

MMCSRET
March 4, 2009, 12:04 AM
I think maybe they are talking about the small mushroom starting "checks" that you see on all modern handgun JSP and JHP bullets that are designed to promote early expansion and mushrooming upon contact.

The Lone Haranguer
March 4, 2009, 10:11 AM
Jacketed soft points in handgun bullets rarely actually expand. An autoloading action has an additional problem with the exposed lead squashing or sticking on the feed ramp. There is a reason why JSP has pretty much been abandoned with auto pistol bullets in factory loads, in favor of hollowpoints.

If you enjoyed reading about "9mm jsp" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!