Tikka t-3 do you like them?

PDA

TexasEd
March 3, 2009, 11:18 PM
I am in the market for a magnum rifle and have seen the Tikka product. I own an older model but would like input on the newer T-3 series. The T-Lite as well as the T-3 Hunter. Thanks in advance.

If you enjoyed reading about "Tikka t-3 do you like them?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
surjimmy
March 3, 2009, 11:30 PM
Love my 300wsm. am getting ready to get a 7 mag in same. Using Winchester Power Points my 300 will put 3 rounds inside a penny at 100 yards, and you can't beat the price under $500.00

hoghunting
March 4, 2009, 12:26 AM
If you click on "Search" in this forum, you'll find plenty of information on the T3s. I'm very happy with mine.

a-sheepdog
March 4, 2009, 12:50 AM
I have a Tikka T3 in 7mm Rem Mag as well as one in 308 Win. Both are the T3 Hunter versions and both are tack drivers. I have hunted with both and could not be happier. I am now considering another in 7mm-08 for the little woman. Outstanding rifles at a great price.

Big_E
March 4, 2009, 12:53 AM
I liked the one I held when I was looking for a bolt action. But I went with the Rem. 700 SPS for a number of reasons: I have been to the factory, its American made and gunsmiths almost everywhere are familar with it.

But yeah, I was definetly considering the T3 its a nice gun with 1 hell of a bolt.

Water-Man
March 4, 2009, 10:44 AM
Mine is a Hunter model in 6.5x55 Swede and I'm very satisfied.

Reid73
March 4, 2009, 05:58 PM
As you probably know, Tikka is a cheaper, less refined version of Sako (kinda like Rolex's Tudor brand of watches, I guess). See generally thread 1 (http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=58059), thread 2 (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=24273), thread 3 (http://www.gunandgame.com/forums/general-rifle/46403-tikko-vs-sako.html) and thread 4 (http://forums.basspro.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=15;t=002254).

There's nothing wrong with that. Not everyone can afford a Sako, and the Tikka is a better alternative than many cheap rifles (naming no names, but a couple of examples begin with the letter "R"). The vast majority of Tikka owners seem very pleased with their rifles, which have a good reputation for sturdiness (plastic mag and trigger guard notwithstanding) and out-of-the-box accuracy.

If money isn't really a consideration, I'd say buy a Sako. But if you're on a tight budget, the T3 is almost as good, and at the end of the day it should do everything that you need a rifle to do.

As between the Hunter and the Lite versions, I'd pick the Hunter since the plastic stock on the Lite just doesn't appeal to me. If you want all-weather capability, the T3 Laminate Stainless should fit the bill.

You didn't say what caliber you're thinking of, but if you're going to buy a Tikka you might as well stay away from the short magnums. There's no real point, considering that the T3 action comes in one length.

theken206
March 4, 2009, 06:08 PM
Ihave a t-3 lite in .270WSM and love the thing

hotlead
March 4, 2009, 06:22 PM
Nice post Reid73.

I have a .25-06 T3 Hunter. Like it alot. Smooth bolt, crisp trigger, light and accurate. I dont mind the plastic mag. or trigger guard. Never had a problem.
Most die hard Rem. and Browning guys are impressed with it. I know I am.

JeffDilla
March 4, 2009, 06:23 PM
I have a 300wsm and it's great and very light to carry, bolt is smooth as butter. The only thing that I'm not fond of is the plastic magazine and the fact that a spare mag is $60-$70, but I haven't had any issues so far with them and they seem plenty durable. All in all, it's a great rifle.

Birdhunter1
March 4, 2009, 07:23 PM
I have a T3 laminate stainless in .243 and love it, I found a grear load using a 55gr. Sierra blitzking and another using an 87 gr. Hornady Vmax. I'd put it against any factory 243.

AnthonyC.
March 4, 2009, 07:28 PM
The t-3 hunter looks like a very nice rifle....and personally I like wood better than composite...

I have never shot one, but they look great!

Karl Hungus
March 4, 2009, 08:17 PM
Iron is A++

Composit stocks are C-

rust collector
March 4, 2009, 08:51 PM
My 308 lite stainless is accurate, light and completely dependable. It's my utility gun, and has never disappointed me. The stock is a handle, not a statement.

I have other guns that are more aesthetically pleasing to behold, but I seldom drag them through the bush.

Runningman
March 4, 2009, 10:08 PM
I own a T3 in a 300 WSM & 270 WSM. I think they are one of the better bargains out there in bolt action hunting rifles right now. They won't win a beauty contest. But their excellent accuracy and very smooth cycling bolt combined with excellent feeding more than make up for their looks.

alemonkey
March 4, 2009, 10:14 PM
The plastic stock on the ones I've handled actually seems pretty stiff to me. Much more so than a Savage, any way.

Lone_Gunman
March 4, 2009, 11:15 PM
There are a few problems with this rifle in my opinion.

First is the cheap plastic magazine. When I say cheap, I mean it feels like it should cost less than $5. If you lose or break it, you will pay over $50 to replace it (10% of the cost of the rifle almost!!). They are never in stock, so you probably won't ever find one anyway, and you will just have a single shot.

Second is the fact that all Tikka receivers are long action, even if the cartridge is a short action like 308.

Third, the stamping on the stock is ugly, but this does not affect function of course, it just hurts your eyes to look at.

BENELLIMONTE
March 4, 2009, 11:23 PM
I have answered similar posts with the same response. The smoothest action of any rifle I have ever owned. Also one of the most accurate "out of the box" rifles I or anyone else has ever bought. My 270 Win. is a 3/4" - 1" rifle with most factory ammo I have shot. The only negative is the cheap plastic stock. But at least it seems impervious to everything short of a nuclear explosion.

CRDNLPLT
March 5, 2009, 08:23 AM
Have a T3 Stainless in 25-06. To me it just feels right. Love it.

rbernie
March 5, 2009, 08:32 AM
I have a T3 Varmint that I am very fond of. It shoots wonderfully.

Having said that, I buy magnum rifles for hunting largish game. When I'm hunting game large enough to need a magnum rifle, I may be looking for a CRF action instead of a push feed. I also may be looking for a rifle that is more robust in terms of ability to withstand significant drops in the field. While I think the world of the Tikka as a general purpose rifle, I have seen one rendered BRT (broke right there) on a hunt when it was dropped down a small NoTexas ravine and the plastic bottom pieces gave way and the trigger got broken.

Maybe not an issue for your intended usage, but at least worth thinkin' through how you'll use it.

Reid73
March 5, 2009, 10:10 AM
Second is the fact that all Tikka receivers are long action, even if the cartridge is a short action like 308.Agreed, this is undesireable; but it is one of the cost-cutting features that keeps the price down.

Assuming that one doesn't want to pay more and get a Sako, I'd rather economize on action length than other features ... at least you get a Sako barrel, which IMO is more important than the action.

Reid73
March 5, 2009, 11:33 AM
I came across this thread, "Thinking of Going Sako??" (https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/2711450/page/1/fpart/1), which may be of interest. As the title implies it is mainly about Sakos but there are plenty of posts about Tikkas too, including a few photos.

I have previously suggested that a T3 is a good choice if you can't quite afford a Sako. Another alternative is a used rifle: there are lots of nice secondhand 75's and older Sakos available at attractive prices. This is not meant to imply that a new T3 would be a bad purchase, I'm just saying that there is another option worth considering (plenty of ways to skin a cat).

45crittergitter
March 7, 2009, 09:34 PM
I love all of mine.

280shooter
March 8, 2009, 12:13 AM
Tikka 3 rocks.. great rifle. I have it in lite stainless 223,

Reid73
March 12, 2009, 03:32 PM
May be of some interest:

You Tube review (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGq3hxZPSXg);
You Tube review No.2 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leVjxwNzWT8&feature=related);
You Tube review No.3 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIJghuIHbes&feature=related)

If you enjoyed reading about "Tikka t-3 do you like them?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!