Remington .308 "Mil-spec" barrel?

PDA

Peakbagger46
March 4, 2009, 02:53 AM
I got a used Remington 700 .308 from a co-worker. The gun has had it's action lapped, trigger job, special bolts added to screw the action to the HS precision stock, and has a "mil-spec" remington 24" barrel.

Can anyone tell me what the "mil-spec" means and what the twist is? The diameter at the muzzle is .820".

-Josh

If you enjoyed reading about "Remington .308 "Mil-spec" barrel?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
jbech123
March 4, 2009, 03:21 AM
Is it a older 5R possibly? I have a new one, and I didn't see "mil-spec" on the barrel itself anywhere, unless it is under the stock. It did say that on the box though. The 5R barrels have an 11.25" twist.

USSR
March 4, 2009, 08:58 AM
Can anyone tell me what the "mil-spec" means and what the twist is?

Remington, like many other sellers, plays fast and loose with the term "mil-spec". It is "mil-spec" only in the manner of having the same type of rifling (5R) as the M24 rifle that Remington builds for the Army. As previously stated, it should have a 1-11.25" twist rate.

Don

Horsemany
March 4, 2009, 11:55 AM
It has recently come to light that the 5R 40x barrels are produced by Hart. They are excellent barrels and that's why 40x barrel stamps are different from other 700's. I assume the 5r barrel on the the 5r milspec guns are Hart's as well. Should be a great shooter. I'm not sure on the twist rate.

If you enjoyed reading about "Remington .308 "Mil-spec" barrel?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!