.45 ACP Hunting Load

PDA

Olympus
March 4, 2009, 10:55 AM
So I need some suggestions for a semi-hunting ammunition. I'm going with my dad on a hog hunt the last weekend of this month. The place we're going is all kinds of varied terrain, but the owners of the property say that the "big 'uns" like to hang out in the swampy parts. So I've decided that's where I'm going to stalk them. I'm always looking for a challenge so I've decided that I'm going to try to take one with a muzzleloader.

So here's where the .45 question comes in. Suppose I get in a situation where I'm knee deep in swamp and stalked a big mean boar and I either miss with my muzzleloader or make a bad shot. Now this boar charges me and I have to pull my sidearm, the .45. What kind of ammo do I need to have it full of? Should I stick with JHPs or will I not get enough penetration of the thick "shield plate"? Should I go with old fashioned ball ammo and not worry about expansion? Like I said, I'm not going to use this as my primary weapon, but I sure want to be confident of it's stopping power if I do have a need for it.

If you enjoyed reading about ".45 ACP Hunting Load" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Water-Man
March 4, 2009, 11:23 AM
You might try Double Tap Ammo. I use 230gr. FMJ-FP
1010fps-521ft.lbs.

ArmedBear
March 4, 2009, 12:04 PM
Water-Man: Is that an exposed lead flat point or is it a true FMJ, with copper covering the entire bullet?

broken
March 4, 2009, 02:25 PM
if i was hog hunting and had a .45 or even .40/9mm for that matter i would stagger the mag,hollowpoint-ball-hollowpoint-ball with whatever heavy load your accurate for penetrating the gristle plate,with but even better a revolver in .44 mag,big hogs are nasty,better be a good shot with the muzzleloader.

Vern Humphrey
March 4, 2009, 02:32 PM
I knew a hog-hunting guide in Tennessee who told me, "Ya gotta do three things; shoot, climb a tree, and look down to see if you got him. Don't get those out of sequence."

And he showed me his calf -- where there was a skin-covered hole going all the way through -- as proof.

The old timers had a special knife -- big as a bowie, with a wide cross-guard, and a tapered handle. When they shot, they jammed the tapered handle down the muzzle and had a hunting spear.

A lot of these gizmos were made in Bayonne, France, near the foothills of the Pyranees., for bear hunters, and they're still called "Bayonets."

broken
March 4, 2009, 02:46 PM
i like to eat bacon,but ill buy mine at the store. but i have seen some nasty wounds on the computer from pigs not put down,they"ll eat your lunch,even seen a big boar fight off a blackbear suprised me,the bear was clacking his jaws,that pig was getting the lesser end but dang what a fight.good luck.verne i seen ozarks in your sig,i live in hindsville,arkansas.

Casefull
March 4, 2009, 08:52 PM
Olympus. If it was me I would go with a 185 flat nose or fmj and at least 8 g of unique or your favorite powder. Try and get something around 1200fps. I wounded a bull elk once (300 mag) and when I climbed over to where it went down I did not have my rifle(very rough country) I thought putting it out of its misery would be simple with my 45. I shot that elk in the top of its skull 4 times at close range with factory 230fmj ammo and the bullets were bouncing off his skull. I finallly found another spot on his head that worked. Point is, that big fat bullet does not penetrate bone like that very well. 10 guys will now tell you that you cannot load a 45 safely at that level...It will be plenty safe if a pig is charging you.

Olympus
March 4, 2009, 10:19 PM
Well I'm not a reloader, so I' limited to something offered in a factory manufacture. I'm hoping to not miss with the smoke pole, but now you all have me nervous. People shoot hogs with bows all time and that requires them to get a lot closer than I'd have to with a muzzleloader. My thinking is if people can do it with a bow, I sure can with a muzzleloader. But I'm definitely going to bring my my 1911.

I like the idea of staggering. I may go that route. But what should I stagger with?

TG13
March 4, 2009, 10:34 PM
i'd suggest .45 Super.. that is if your pistol can use it.. other than that, a 12ga with slugs.. ;)

TIMC
March 4, 2009, 11:46 PM
I carry a 1911 as a side arm when I hunt and have dropped many hogs in the traps with it using different ammo. I have found the best performing bullet is a 230 grain FMJ round.

If you enjoyed reading about ".45 ACP Hunting Load" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!