Another movie gun ID question...

PDA

Clipper
March 4, 2009, 10:47 AM
...I was watching the late late late (or maybe early early early) movie this morning, 'The Sons of Katie Elder'. Again. The bad guy is shooting a bolt action rifle with what looks like a tube magazine and a hammer which he cocks like a revolver for one shot. I can find no similar rifles in my references, and I have always wondered if it's real, or a hollywood dreamed-up prop.

If you enjoyed reading about "Another movie gun ID question..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Tommygunn
March 4, 2009, 11:36 AM
Maybe a Remington Lee Repeater????

There was a TV series back 20 years ago or so called "Guns of Paradise" in which one episode featured this rifle.
They did not see a lot of use, but IIRC the military did purchase a few which were issued to Indian Scouts for the cavalry.

bonza
March 4, 2009, 01:30 PM
Yes, that was a very cool looking rifle in The Sons of Katie Elder. It was a Remington-Keene sporting rifle in .45/70 Govt. The picture below shows one in carbine configuration.

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r317/arquebus1523/RemingtonKeene.jpg

Tommygunn
March 4, 2009, 03:34 PM
ARG! Remington Keene! Yes!

Blast my feeble ol' memory!
Bonza is right, of course.

bonza
March 4, 2009, 05:45 PM
That's ok Tommygun, my first instinct was to say Winchester-Hotchkiss. I did a google & my memory got jogged!

Clipper
March 4, 2009, 10:25 PM
Thanks bonza, I'd have never suspected Remington. I assumed it was one of the many goofy European designs of the time...

If you enjoyed reading about "Another movie gun ID question..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!