Glock or Beretta?

PDA

Schofield
March 4, 2009, 01:58 PM
I just have one question. Which of these two guns is most popular? Either for bad guy use or good guy use, doesn't matter.

If you enjoyed reading about "Glock or Beretta?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
broken
March 4, 2009, 02:06 PM
i think glock owns most police agencies,the beretta the military contracts,sig dabbled and won orders in both areas,bad guys whatever they can get their hands on.also 1911 style has made a big comeback in some areas.

CountGlockula
March 4, 2009, 02:16 PM
Most bad guys use cheap guns such as .22lrs or .25auto old guns. But responsible gun owners, can choose either. I prefer Glocks.

CoRoMo
March 4, 2009, 03:38 PM
Either for bad guy use or good guy use, doesn't matter.

Which of the two defines your intended use?

2RCO
March 4, 2009, 03:48 PM
For carry I would probably choose Glock over Beretta's options. That being said gimme a 1911 or a Walther PPS.

W.E.G.
March 4, 2009, 03:50 PM
Okay! Okay!

...the Beretta then!

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd7/rkba2da/Berettainyourface-1.jpg

Dan Crocker
March 4, 2009, 03:57 PM
The Beretta is a ridiculously large gun for the round it fires and the amount of ammo it holds. You can get a Glock 19, which still holds 15 rds of ammunition, has a shorter barrel, a grip that isn't as fat and awkward, and doesn't have that God-awful frame mounted safety-decocker.
As much as I dislike the Beretta, I do have to say that I haven't had one that I've been issued ever jam, but because of the crappy magazines the military INSISTS on buying, the ones I've used have hardly ever gone to slide lock.

darkknight
March 4, 2009, 04:48 PM
I prefer glocks over berrettas. I've shot plenty of both and I will tell everyone glock is simply better. Now sig vs glock would be a different story.

I think the beretta's trigger is sloppy but it is reliable and its a big beefy gun so almost no recoil.

Glocks are just as reliable the trigger is more consistent (its dao) and has less creep. Also after market parts and accessories are everywhere. And concealibility is a huge advantage.

Just my .02 ymmv

ATAShooter
March 4, 2009, 04:50 PM
I'm an XD guy, but if I have to go between these two, I'd have to go with Glock for sure.

mr.trooper
March 4, 2009, 04:53 PM
They are both great pistols.

i prefer the Glock because they come in many sizes, and many of them are concealable. The Beretta is a fine piece, but concealable it is not.

EdLaver
March 4, 2009, 07:59 PM
Berettas are the 1911's of 9mms. I would choose a 9mm beretta over a 9mm glock. The Glock will win in other calibers though but for 9mm the Beretta all the way.

UnTainted
March 4, 2009, 08:02 PM
I like glocks! I like they way they point.

357sigRog
March 5, 2009, 02:01 AM
"Which of the two is most popular?" It has to be the Glock. It is what I prefer also.

BrokenButterfly
March 5, 2009, 02:16 AM
Beretta. The standard for all bad guys. It is like a rule or something that when you work for a high class criminal agency you have a beretta.

possum
March 5, 2009, 02:19 AM
the glock for sure.

Magnus1959
March 5, 2009, 03:37 AM
Has to be the Glock.

SteelyNirvana
March 5, 2009, 07:05 AM
I'd say Beretta.

BCPerry
March 5, 2009, 09:51 AM
My brother is an investigator for the Army. He told me last week that the Army is about to start weening off the Berettas and going to a 45 caliber handgun.

broken
March 5, 2009, 11:25 AM
been hearing that too,but beretta just won a pretty big u.s contract again here recently 30 or 60 days ago.replacing worn out pistols supposedly.just found it on jan. 29th u.s army ordered 450,000 92 fs pistols and spare parts for total of 220 million. all pistols built by u.s workers in maryland.

Duke of Doubt
March 5, 2009, 12:03 PM
As to popularity, no comparison. Beretta's military and police contracts around the world dwarf Glock's. Good enough for our Army, good enough for me.

I carry a 92FS concealed. It's not too big. Just need to find the right location and holster. Accurate as any other autoloading pistol I've ever shot, except my Remington-Rand 1911A1 with Colt National Match barrel. Beautifully made and totally reliable.

Glock, on the other hand, is a striker-fired plastic dog turd.

Fishman777
March 5, 2009, 06:43 PM
Tough choice.

The Beretta 92 models are my favorite metal framed guns.

Glocks and XDs are my favorite polymer guns.

If I had to choose one autoloader, it would probably either be a G17 or a G19.

Pizzagunner
March 5, 2009, 07:13 PM
Hmm. Italian icon and US service pistol or surrender kraut zip gun with a bad handle?

Gotta go with the icon.:evil:

WRGADog
March 5, 2009, 07:26 PM
I own 4 Berettas and 0 Glocks.

9mmepiphany
March 5, 2009, 07:30 PM
the Glock...mostly the model 22 in .40...with LE and and also with gangsters...but in 9mm.

of the 2, i prefer the Beretta because it just runs smoother...no dropping barrel...and returns from recoil faster for me.

marketing, coupled with bargin pricing, of the Glock to LE has been extremely sucessful...and bad guys like to use what cops fo

ShadyScott999
March 5, 2009, 07:35 PM
Beretta over Glock, CZ over Beretta, 1911 trumps them all.:neener:

MT GUNNY
March 5, 2009, 07:38 PM
I vote U.S.A. evey time.

Dragk913
March 5, 2009, 08:49 PM
I vote U.S.A. evey time.

So neither?

I thought Glock was Austrian and Beretta Italian? (Correct me if I'm wrong..)

10-Ring
March 5, 2009, 09:47 PM
I've got a couple of each -- I learned to shoot using the Beretta but the compactness of the G19 is a fave too -- I would think that in sheer numbers, Glock would win this one

AKElroy
March 5, 2009, 09:52 PM
Glock 19. 2/3rds the size, runs @ 100% even when filthy, same firepower. 9mm is too marginal a round to be chambered in a gun as large & cumbersome as the B92. (Of course I still own one, let's me pretend I'm in a Die Hard flick).

Don357
March 5, 2009, 09:58 PM
For my use, I chose the Beretta. I would choose almost anything over a Glock!:barf:

Duke of Doubt
March 6, 2009, 04:11 AM
Dragk913: "I thought Glock was Austrian and Beretta Italian? (Correct me if I'm wrong..)"

Beretta M9/92FS is made in Accokeek, Maryland by Beretta USA. Glockenspiels are made in some Nazi place called "Osterreich."

23Glock
March 6, 2009, 07:20 AM
Glockenspiels are made in some Nazi place called "Osterreich."

I'm going to retract my post and assume you were joking with this statement. Haha. Funny.

Duke of Doubt
March 6, 2009, 12:00 PM
Not joking at all. Osterreich is German for Austria. Austrian parliament is controlled by the National Party, which party essentially is a neo-nazi organization.

MCgunner
March 6, 2009, 12:07 PM
Germans make everything else better than Americans OR Italians. Why wouldn't they build pistols better? Of course, Austria isn't Germany and Glocks ain't Walthers.

Duke of Doubt
March 6, 2009, 12:08 PM
MCGunner: "Germans make everything else better than Americans OR Italians."

They don't make armies better.

Fastcast
March 6, 2009, 12:25 PM
Germans make everything else better than Americans OR Italians. Why wouldn't they build pistols better? Of course, Austria isn't Germany and Glocks ain't Walthers.

I think not!.....There isn't a German sports car any sane individual would choose over a Ferrari, Pagani or lamborghini.......How about motor cycles? Can you say Ducati?

Ah, lets see what else the Italians do better than the Krauts ......Clothes, food, wine, women.....:neener:

Duke of Doubt
March 6, 2009, 12:36 PM
Yeah, if it wasn't for their bizarre politics and amusing internecine squabbles, the Italians would rule the world.

MCgunner
March 6, 2009, 12:40 PM
I have raced many Japanese motorcycles that eat Ducatis for lunch. :D Former AMA pro road racer, CRRC/WERA/CMRA club racer, and amateur flat tracker. But, good point. For touring, though, I'd rather have a BMW. :D There's a BMW running World Superbike this season and it did rather well in its debut, was running top ten anyway at Phillip Island on SpeedTV this past weekend. I was impressed. I've never been impressed with desmo valve adjustment schedules, either. I'm lazy and not rich. I ride an SV, Japanese duck. :neener:

MCGunner: "Germans make everything else better than Americans OR Italians."

Men make an army and God makes men. :D The Russians did at LEAST as much as us in WW2, anyway, and I'm thinkin' one heck of a lot more. I'm glad we didn't have to fight that war alone or I'd probably be typing this in German.

leadcounsel
March 6, 2009, 01:20 PM
Glock - better pistol hands down! More reliable, lighter, thinner, less bulk, each trigger pull the same, better safeties, and less expensive.

9mmepiphany
March 6, 2009, 01:25 PM

actually they did, they just didn't have the production capability to keep up

There isn't a German sports car any sane individual would choose over a Ferrari, Pagani or lamborghini

you would if you had to drive it on a daily basis. i'm pretty sure the Porsche GT2 can run with any of them and be more practical too...and if practical isn't a factor, i don't think there's much question that the Ruf CTR3 will bury them all

BTW: all the Beretta's used by the US Army are produced in the USA

Duke of Doubt
March 6, 2009, 01:26 PM
leadcounsel, the OP asked which was more POPULAR. Survey said?

Beretta, obviously, based on military contracts alone.

But Beretta is better, too.

9mmepiphany
March 6, 2009, 01:27 PM
Glock - better pistol hands down! More reliable, lighter, thinner, less bulk, each trigger pull the same, better safeties, and less expensive.

i don't think the poll was "which gun is better" it was "which is more popular"

Duke of Doubt
March 6, 2009, 01:30 PM
9mmepiphany: "actually they did, they just didn't have the production capability to keep up"

A common dodge by Wehrmacht fetishists. A better army includes being a sustainable army. Japan, with far less capacity than Germany and virtually no resources after 1943, kept up the fight to the bitter end. Even China never quite quit.

The Wehrmacht never defeated the United States Army in battle, if one ignores the brush at Kasserine Pass.

Pizzagunner
March 6, 2009, 01:46 PM
i don't think the poll was "which gun is better" it was "which is more popular"

The answer, objectively, is still the Beretta either way.

Dragk913
March 6, 2009, 01:46 PM
DoD: Beretta M9/92FS is made in Accokeek, Maryland by Beretta USA. Glockenspiels are made in some Nazi place called "Osterreich."

I guess I was wrong then :D
Thanks for the info.

Duke of Doubt
March 6, 2009, 01:47 PM
Pizza: "The answer, objectively, is still the Beretta either way."

Amen, gumbah.

Fastcast
March 6, 2009, 02:10 PM
you would if you had to drive it on a daily basis. i'm pretty sure the Porsche GT2 can run with any of them and be more practical too...and if practical isn't a factor, i don't think there's much question that the Ruf CTR3 will bury them all

Who buys a car like that for practical daily driving....LOL....You can keep your fancy Beetles. Real enthusiast choose Dago red and that's not even debatable! :)

Fastcast
March 6, 2009, 02:47 PM
Yeah, if it wasn't for their bizarre politics and amusing internecine squabbles, the Italians would rule the world.

No doubt......

Wolfebyte
March 6, 2009, 03:59 PM
Glock

Better Warranty, better customer support. Interchangeable barrels to have a variety of calibers with 1 weapon.

can't say that for Beretta. Slide problems with the 92 and the 84.. Google is our friend

Oh.. Beretta is purty.. there's a pro for you..

Duke of Doubt
March 6, 2009, 04:04 PM
Wolfebyte: "Better Warranty, better customer support. Interchangeable barrels to have a variety of calibers with 1 weapon. can't say that for Beretta. Slide problems with the 92 and the 84.."

We Beretta people have no need for your "warranties" or your "customer support", as our guns do not break.

I have too many guns to bother with swapping barrels to shoot different calibers.

The alleged slide problems were imagined by Glock people inexperienced with real metal guns.

Wolfebyte
March 6, 2009, 04:26 PM
I'm sorry DoD.. your a lawyer.. your lips moved.. :evil:

the OP asked an opinion.. I gave mine.. Glock.

I've carried Beretta on duty.. purty gun.. I'll still choose Glock.

GLOCK - 22 oz.
Beretta - 33 oz.

GLOCK - 17 + 1
Beretta - 15 + 1

GLOCK - consistent 5.5lb trigger pull, EVERY time
Beretta - LONG, HEAVY, CREEPY, DA trigger pull, followed by 5-6lb SA pull.

GLOCK - 3 passive safeties but no manual safeties - Pull the trigger, fire the weapon

Beretta - Is the safety on or off? Did you decock it before you reholstered it? If you did decock it, did you leave the safety on?

whoops.. waited too long, you're dead..

Pizzagunner
March 6, 2009, 05:37 PM
Beretta Owner: "I can walk and chew gum at the same time."
Glock Owner: "That dangerous practice will get you killed someday. I am afraid for you because I can't do it."

There must be something to that given the rate at which Glock owners shoot themselves in the leg and foot. Many of them can't even re-holster with success.

Duke of Doubt
March 6, 2009, 05:44 PM
Pizzagunner: "Beretta Owner: "I can walk and chew gum at the same time."
Glock Owner: "That dangerous practice will get you killed someday. I am afraid for you because I can't do it."

There must be something to that given the rate at which Glock owners shoot themselves in the leg and foot. Many of them can't even re-holster with success."

What he said.

MCgunner
March 6, 2009, 05:50 PM
I'd have to say, far as I can tell, and I've seen no sales figures, Glock has Beretta beat all to hell in popularity. Every cop in the country gets a huge discount on Glock. Military personel get the same discount. It's almost the universal LEO gun. The Sig keeps it from being so, not the Beretta. I don't see how ANYone could claim Beretta is more popular than Glock, no way no how.

I'm an outsider, don't own either brand, just stating my observations. Me, if I wanted a Beretta, I'd buy a Taurus. If I wanted a Glock, I'd buy a Springfield XD. Nothing against the Glock, but I prefer the XD for its grip safety.

Deanimator
March 6, 2009, 05:53 PM
I don't like conventional DA/SA or DAO, so Glock for me. The only DA/SA gun I've ever owned was a Walther P-38. It was the last.

Duke of Doubt
March 6, 2009, 05:53 PM
MCGunner: ". I don't see how ANYone could claim Beretta is more popular than Glock, no way no how."

This:

http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/land/m9.htm

MCgunner
March 6, 2009, 06:02 PM
Uh, that link is proof that Beretta sells more firearms to the civilian market than Glock? I don't think so. Try again.

MCgunner
March 6, 2009, 06:06 PM
I just have one question. Which of these two guns is most popular? Either for bad guy use or good guy use, doesn't matter.

That's the OP. I'm thinking for sure the good guys (cops) are overwhelmingly armed with Glocks above all other brands including Beretta. My guess is more BGs shoot theirselves with Glocks than Berettas. Glock seems to be cool to the gangsta crowd, probably because you can shoot it upside down or sideways and it will still feed.

Wonder if Plaxico has healed up, yet. :rolleyes:

Duke of Doubt
March 6, 2009, 06:12 PM
MC, whattaya mean, "civilian"? Army sales don't count toward "popular"? Bull.

MCgunner
March 6, 2009, 06:24 PM
The Army CONTRACTED for its guns. OF COURSE they're all the Beretta, that's the one they picked. I'm not sure their order is big enough to beat all the LEO Glock orders in the US, though. Sidearms are the main firearm for LEO use. They're for security folks in the military. LEOs get a huge break on the price of a Glock. Money is no object for Uncle same, as we've been seeing since November. Just print more if you want Berettas. :rolleyes: That's off topic and political, I guess, much as it irks me.

Anyway, there is no question that good guys and bad guys like Glocks outside the military contract and perhaps even including the military contract. And, when were all those Berettas acquired, mid 80s? I doubt that'd show up on sales figures since 1990 or 2000.

To solve this pole, someone just needs to look up firearms sales figures. Of course, that won't tell you if NYPD bought it or if Flava Flave bought it, but hey, it's a step in the right direction to settle the question. :D

Duke of Doubt
March 6, 2009, 06:38 PM
Latest Beretta Army contract was last year.

And they are "contracted" for same as when a PD orders one or I order one.

Pizzagunner
March 6, 2009, 07:03 PM
Anyway, there is no question that good guys and bad guys like Glocks outside the military contract and perhaps even including the military contract. And, when were all those Berettas acquired, mid 80s? I doubt that'd show up on sales figures since 1990 or 2000.

Whoops.

https://www.berettausa.com/e2wShoppingCatalog.aspx?parentID=3100001547&parentLink=2100000084:3100001546:3100001547

ACCOKEEK, MD (January 15, 2009) – Beretta U.S.A. Corp. announced today its receipt of a U.S. Army contract to provide up to 450,000 Beretta Model 92FS pistols to U.S. military customers throughout the world. The total value of the contract, if all pistol quantities and associated spare parts are ordered, is $220 million.

The contract was awarded along with a first delivery order for 20,000 pistols intended for the Iraqi military. Delivery of pistols against the contract has already begun.

"We are honored to see the quality and performance of the Beretta Model 92FS pistol continue to be acknowledged in this dramatic way," commented Cav. Ugo Gussalli Beretta, President of Beretta U.S.A. "It is clear that the Beretta 9mm pistol still sets the standard for military users throughout the world."

The M-9 ain't done yet.

AKElroy
March 6, 2009, 09:39 PM
Germans make everything else better than Americans OR Italians.
That is absolutely not true--My Springfield XDm is an awesome gun made right here in the good ol' US of what the......What the crap is a croat?

RevolvingCylinder
March 7, 2009, 12:25 AM
Beretta over Glock, CZ over Beretta, 1911 trumps them all.
Truer words have never been said.

The OP basically has an opinion thread on his hands. Truth be told that it wouldn't be unheard of for a gangbanger to have a Glock(you can't tell me thugs don't use common pistols like a Glock. It's just what's available) nor a police agency having adopted it. It saddens me to say it(Since I'm a fan of S&W K frames) but it's the S&W M10 of today. To these parties it's the value choice. I'd say the M22 would likely lead the pack for Glock in the US though.

If you mean military conflict it would be the Beretta but the Browning Hi-Power beats it by a wide margin in being more common.

Duke of Doubt
March 7, 2009, 12:33 PM
AKElroy: "What the crap is a croat?"

The anthropologists are still working that case. Latest is, they think they've figured out where all the Neanderthals went. ;)

Actually, like a lot of my posts, I'm making a funny but it also happens to be true.

azhunter122
March 7, 2009, 02:11 PM
Glock!

Duke of Doubt
March 7, 2009, 03:35 PM
This is getting stupid. Clearly more Berettas than Glocks have been sold, used, etc. That's objective reality. If you all want to debate which is better, the real gun carried by our Army in battle or the black plastic dog turd, open a new poll.

DawgFvr
March 7, 2009, 04:17 PM
Retired Army here...and the majority of us dislike weapon contracts going to the the lowest bidder syndrome which is how/why Beretta landed our side arm order.

And what a topic? I mean, clearly more Fords than BMW's have been sold...does that indicate that Ford makes a better product...or that people prefer Fords to BMWs? What, exactly, is your point and where is this logically going?

Fastcast
March 8, 2009, 01:12 PM
Not sure where you're going either but clearly the Glock would be the Ford in this circumstance and Beretta the BMW. :)

If you enjoyed reading about "Glock or Beretta?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!