AR-10 Question

PDA

cslinger
October 5, 2003, 06:59 PM
Are there any ammo limitations as two what can be shot through an AR-10?

Bullet weight, powder type, soft point vs FMJ etc?

Can just about any factory .308 or 7.62x51 be used?

Thanks
Chris

If you enjoyed reading about "AR-10 Question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Mark Tyson
October 5, 2003, 07:05 PM
You mean "to" , not two.

Just make sure the ammo you use is rated for semi-auto. I've shot lots of military surplus ammo through mine w/no problems. Some .308 loads are really hot and should only be used in manually operated guns. Ask the gun store owner and read the label on the box. It should tell you there.

If you have one of those match grade AR-10's then cheap military surplus ammo is pretty much a waste(or maybe I'm just a bad shot!) - stick to match grade ammo for a match gun.

AR-10
October 5, 2003, 09:06 PM
Soft points will feed well if they are pointy points.

Soft points that are blunt will hang up on the feed ramp.

Do not buy any Indian surplus ammo. It is very very bad amunition. The Cavim surplus is also a complete waste of money.

cslinger
October 5, 2003, 10:04 PM
But basically as long as it is quality ammo made for semi autos bullet weight or type of powder shouldn't matter, correct?

Thanks
Chris

MagKnightX
October 5, 2003, 10:17 PM
If it is somehow too long to fit in the magazine, don't use it.

uglygun
October 5, 2003, 10:53 PM
My AR10 does well so long as I do two things...

Don't feed it anything that is blunt pointed, the barrel extension will catch bullets that aren't nice and pointy.

And then I stay FAR clear of Federal ammo. I have had fits with Federal ammo with everything from the Gold Medal to American Eagle(everything in between). It's not just my AR10 but my 3 AR15s as well, all too frequently I run into Federal ammo that has a VERY loose hold on it's primers and something about the timing of the AR15/AR10 action makes it very prone to spitting primers out into the action when I use Federal.

The horror story concerning Federal ammo was that I once had a live primer totally jar loose from a Gold Medal 168grn cartridge(factory new) as the bolt carrier stripped it from the magazine. Somehow the primer managed to jar loose and fall down into the trigger group, if it had simply partially backed out of the primer pocket only to be slam fired as the round was chambered it could have been a bad out of battery slam fire. It was a VERY strange feeling to eject a round after pulling the trigger only to hear it go "click" instead of "bang" then to look the cartridge over and find it without a primer.

Lots of AR15 owners have commented about the tendancy for Federal to be totally worthless for reloading due to soft primer pockets and weak holds on primers. It's not so often you hear the reports of people such as myself though who can't even get factory fresh Federal to be worth a darned.

Every so often when I'm at the range I'll walk the line to check the various 223Rem and 308Win lying on the ground, every so often I'll find 223Rem and 308Win with missing primers and the tell tale exjector marks in that soft Federal brass.

gun-fucious
October 5, 2003, 11:27 PM
the AR-10Ts thrive high test, not surplus

Fire1
October 6, 2003, 08:07 PM
My AR-10A4 loves the South African Surplus. I have also had good results loading Sierra 165gr HPBT Gameking. I have heard a lot of shooters say that the ballistic tip bullets feed well too. Hornady Light Magnum is a good example of commercial ammo that is not good for the AR-10.

If you enjoyed reading about "AR-10 Question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!