If there's NEVER another AWB...

PDA

Zundfolge
March 4, 2009, 06:06 PM
Lets assume for a moment that something happens legislatively that pretty much guarantees that there will NEVER be another Assault Weapon Ban ... yes I know that would be a tough thing to guarantee, but just for the sake of argument, lets say that it happens.

So of all you folk out there with your Monstrously High Powered Evil Black Rifles and Super Capacity Death Machine handguns, how many of you would probably end up divesting yourself of most if not all your evil guns if they were no longer threatened?

I started out with black guns, my first handgun was a poly framed hi cap death machine and my first rifle was an AR-15, but in recent years I've actually found myself enjoying shooting revolvers and bolt or lever action rifles (just bought my first Winchester 94 the other day). I'd probably keep my AR-15, but I don't know that I'd ever buy another one or buy an AK if I knew they weren't ever going to be banned (of course my tastes seem to change on a weekly basis so who knows).

If you enjoyed reading about "If there's NEVER another AWB..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
phoglund
March 4, 2009, 06:13 PM
I said I'd never sell them. In essence that is true as I bought them because I like them. On the other hand, taste in firearms change and personal situations change so I guess I'd consider selling them if I didn't have the pleasure of their ownership any longer.

planetmobius
March 4, 2009, 06:14 PM
Don't divest yourself of anything. I also go through my little phases of interest. Used to be SA revolvers, then military mausers, then mannlicher schoenauers, then lever guns, blah blah blah...

I've gone full circle a few times picking up and shooting some of the things I had set down long ago. I was glad that I didn't trade them in or "divest" myself of them.

yokel
March 4, 2009, 06:28 PM
I'm much more concerned about regulatory and restriction schemes that would result in at least a de facto, if not a de jure, ban.

Robert
March 4, 2009, 06:32 PM
I have worked too hard for what little I have. I might sell one or two that I never shoot to help pay for a Shiloh Sharps but I will never get rid of them all.

pharmer
March 4, 2009, 06:44 PM
I don't own an "assault weapon". I do have a couple military "look alikes", none more powerful than a common 7.62x51. Joe

Walkalong
March 4, 2009, 06:47 PM
I don't own an "assault weapon". I do have a couple military "look alikes",Me too, and I will most likely keep them, regardless of another AWB or not, and get more uppers/accessories.

gvnwst
March 4, 2009, 06:49 PM
I didn't get a AR because of the possibility of a AWB, i got it becasue it is probably the single MOST changable gun ever, if i don't like it how it is now, well, that is just a upper change till i do.

CoRoMo
Lets assume for a moment that something happens legislatively that pretty much guarantees that there will NEVER be another Assault Weapon Ban

This is quite possible, but not probable. It would be wonderful.

...and buy the non threatening guns...

How are my guns threatening?

No offense Zundfolge, but many of your posts and threads strike me as trollishly anti. Again no offense, it's just my humble opinion.

Anyway, I prefer an AR15 for HD and hi-cap pistols make more sense for self defense than a single stack. Why would anyone sell off something so practical and necessary?

I didn't get a AR because of the possibility of a AWB... Thank you!

PT1911
I purchased my AR-15 because I wanted it... I wanted it long before I got it, but was only able to afford it a couple weeks prior to the election... LUCKY ME... picked mine up for 725... DPMS sporticle.. then put a 4 rail gas block, a 3X12 red and green illuminated reticle scope, and topped it off with a green laser... of course i could sell it for more than I have in it, but that is not something I am interested in or will be in the forseeable future...

heron
March 4, 2009, 07:12 PM
Nope. I bought each of my guns for a reason, and those reasons won't change, ban or no ban.

TeamPrecisionIT
March 4, 2009, 07:34 PM
Most people buying now are not buying them solely based on the fact of an AWB, they bought because they wanted them anyway and figured if something like AWB happens, they may never have the oppurtunity again to purchase it. So in other words, they wanted it anyway, and were just waiting for the proper kick in the ass.

Damian

threefeathers
March 4, 2009, 07:34 PM
I might sell one EBR to a close friend. Maybe:rolleyes:

Ed Ames
March 4, 2009, 08:04 PM
I don't have any evil posessions.

Karl Hungus
March 4, 2009, 08:12 PM
I need all the high power death machines I can get. I only have five as it is. I'd maybe sell one to raise some money for a minigun..

Also what the guy said about the versitality of the AR platform.

dbarile
March 4, 2009, 08:13 PM
They're not evil, and they are not going.

DanielW
March 4, 2009, 08:13 PM
I only have one. And I'm not partying with it anytime soon...unless I lose it in a fishing accident of course.

Nero_Atrum
March 4, 2009, 08:16 PM
I dont think any of my guns are evil. Except maybe the SKS, it has to be possessed, it jams every other round only when I shoot it....

WoofersInc
March 4, 2009, 08:33 PM
I'm at the point where I have regretted letting go of some guns and have vowed to never do it again.

BHP FAN
March 4, 2009, 08:38 PM
I'm going to get MORE...

Zundfolge
March 4, 2009, 08:39 PM
No offense Zundfolge, but many of your posts and threads strike me as trollishly anti. Again no offense, it's just my humble opinion.
Everyone that knows me is laughing at you right now (which includes many of the mods here, plus most of the charter members of this site). I've been a part of this community before there was a THR and the last thing I've ever been called is "trollishly anti". I'm going to chose to laugh at you instead be insulted. :neener:

I guess I should have put non threatening in scare quotes or used a :rolleyes: smiley as it was SARCASM.

Anyway, to set the record straight, I'm one of those 2A absolutists that believe the only law that should exist on the books regarding firearms is the one that says its illegal to ban them.

I believe that the government has no right to tell a felon out on parole he can't carry a concealed MP5 submachinegun with a suppressor without any permission, tax or regulation by the government. State, Federal or local (except that he should own it or have permission from the owner).

lionking
March 4, 2009, 08:57 PM
I have a question about the panic buying regarding the SKS.Why are people panic buying those? I read the last proposed ban and while it listed the SKS isn't that regarding them that have been altered for 30 round mags?Or is the normal SKS now heaped in there and I didn't know?

Because look at how people are gobbling up the Yugo SKS that in Oct was $200 now selling for $300 and usually even $400.

The good news is so far it seems the Dems have learned they better not touch the issue since they don't want to loose the power they just got,so far any way.

benEzra
March 4, 2009, 09:43 PM
I don't own an AK because I'm afraid of bans. I own an AK because it is a fine and eminently practical little carbine, and I greatly enjoy shooting it.

I'm not sure why ban threats going away would change that calculus for anyone.

I have a question about the panic buying regarding the SKS.Why are people panic buying those? I read the last proposed ban and while it listed the SKS isn't that regarding them that have been altered for 30 round mags?Or is the normal SKS now heaped in there and I didn't know?

Because look at how people are gobbling up the Yugo SKS that in Oct was $200 now selling for $300 and usually even $400.
H.R.1022 et seq would ban the SKS, specifically section 3.(a)(30)(L):

(30) The term `semiautomatic assault weapon' means any of the following:

(L) A semiautomatic rifle or shotgun originally designed for military or law enforcement use, or a firearm based on the design of such a firearm, that is not particularly suitable for sporting purposes, as determined by the Attorney General. In making the determination, there shall be a rebuttable presumption that a firearm procured for use by the United States military or any Federal law enforcement agency is not particularly suitable for sporting purposes, and a firearm shall not be determined to be particularly suitable for sporting purposes solely because the firearm is suitable for use in a sporting event.'

The VPC lobbyists who invented the "assault weapon" fraud in the first place call the SKS an "assault weapon":

http://www.vpc.org/press/0501sks.htm
http://www.vpc.org/fact_sht/SKSfactsheet.pdf

federalfarmer
March 4, 2009, 09:49 PM
Ummm what would I do with "some extra ammo" ???
So..... no I would not sell any.

Eightball
March 4, 2009, 11:06 PM
I bought what I did due to shifting priorities to get the potentially bannable stuff first; I didn't just panic buy, I had been planning to purchase several items, and the new administration messed with my schedule a bit.

So, no, I wouldn't sell them. I wanted 'em anyway, just that the administration provided me with an additional incentive.

DeathByCactus
March 4, 2009, 11:30 PM
umm no. I bought my "evil rifle" for a new all purpose weapon. I am not going to give it up because there is no ban, I am not going to give it up if there is a ban either. Besides, I had wanted my rifle since Clinton instituted his ban. So, I am not a panic buyer... just a late bloomer who procrastinates. :)

Technically, maybe but... still I wouldn't.

Justin
March 4, 2009, 11:35 PM

Having known Zund both online and in the real world for the better part of a decade (has it been that long?!) I have to say, your accusation is pretty hilarious.

AllAmerican
March 4, 2009, 11:40 PM
I bought an SKS this past weekend. See the rifle section for pics.

Yes, it is bad ass.

rbernie
March 4, 2009, 11:51 PM
I've hunted with large-bore AR15s for years - not because they were bannable but because they were the tool that worked best for me. I can't see giving that up for any particular reason.

2RCO
March 5, 2009, 12:01 AM
I bought my AR and PS90 because they are pretty nifty toys that could also be used in an emergency.

I'll keep them in the OP's scenario which would be a great day for us all. --Until then lets keep writing our politicians and letting them know where our interest lie.

wyocarp
March 5, 2009, 12:06 AM
I have done some extra buying. I admit it. But, it will be a rare day when I sell my guns unless it's a business gun.

DoubleTapDrew
March 5, 2009, 12:32 AM
No, it just sucks I happen to really like the guns which some consider "evil", and thus are now overpriced.

ComradeBurg
March 5, 2009, 12:35 AM
I've never sold any gun I've purchased so far and I don't plan on it (unless I get one I don't like). Be in a black rifle or a lever action I love all my guns.

Then again I am not one buying guns just in case of an "assault weapons" ban. I'm buying guns because I enjoy them.

jerkface11
March 5, 2009, 01:02 AM
I don't hang onto guns I don't like.

General Geoff
March 5, 2009, 02:25 AM
I'd keep my EBRs, since I bought them because I like them. Not because they might be banned.

Gamera
March 5, 2009, 02:28 AM
I purchased all of my guns because I wanted them. And I will keep them until I decided I no longer want them (that probably won't happen though)!

altitude_19
March 5, 2009, 05:19 AM
No! I don't buy them to protect myself against lawyers (unarmed ones, anyway). I buy them to protect myself from violent hooligans, collapses in infrastructre, zombies, etc. I would be equally naive to think I could sell them off and HOPE to IMMEDIATELY re-acquire them before a disaster. You can't buy an EBR after an election, you expect to buy one after your city is flooded following a hurricane and a levee burst (sound familiar?)?

CajunBass
March 5, 2009, 05:28 AM
Naw. The more I thought about getting an AR or an AK the more I realize I don't really want one. So I didn't get any.

I do have a couple of SKS's. I thought about selling them, because I don't shoot them, but I figured they're paid for and they don't eat anything..might as well keep them.

CoRoMo
March 5, 2009, 09:51 AM
Zund
...the last thing I've ever been called is "trollishly anti".

Zund... you still haven't been called that.

Justin
Having known Zund both online and in the real world for the better part of a decade (has it been that long?!) I have to say, your accusation is pretty hilarious.

Are you guys reading my post right? Keeping to the HIGH ROAD, I commented on his comments, not his character. When did I call him a troll or an anti? I stated that many of his posts and threads strike me as such. Please get it right and don't put an accusation in my post that was never typed. Either of you willing to take the HIGH ROAD and respond?

Zund
I guess I should have put non threatening in scare quotes or used a smiley as it was SARCASM.

I agree, and I feel you make my point.
What I should have added was that many of your posts and threads don't come across this way, but I'll stand by my post. If the premise of this thread is that we buy a our AR15s only because we fear an AWB, that a black rifle is any more threatening than a sporting rifle, that ban-ready guns are not practical for ownership other than to simply possess something that has been banned, etc. Looks like a great many other posts here perceived the tone I did.

Zach S
March 5, 2009, 10:01 AM
No. Other than my 10-22s, most of my rifles are EBRs, and the only rifles I dont shoot are my 10-22s...

Robert
March 5, 2009, 10:03 AM
but many of your posts and threads strike me as trollishly anti. Again no offense, it's just my humble opinion.

Zund may like to stir the pot from time to time but as I know him on a personal basis I can tell you he is no troll. The tin foil might be a touch tight, but no troll.

Geneseo1911
March 5, 2009, 10:32 AM
Back to the topic at hand.....
I understand Zund's question completely. I spent $1200 on my first AR this fall, even though I would shoot an over/under shotgun 10X as much. My dealer has a used Citori I REALLY want, but my last two purchases were a double stack 9mm and a Saiga-12. Are these guns useful & fun? Yes. But the Citori would get a LOT more use. Due to the political situation, I figured I better get the evil, black stuff I want in case there's another 10 year (or forever) drought. That Citori will be the second to last thing to be banned, right before Dad's single-shot 12ga.

On top of that, I'm not worried about a ban so much as being under-armed in case of another civil war.

To actually answer the question as asked, if there was a guarantee of no future restrictions (of course this assumes anyone trusts ANYTHING the .gov "guarantees") I wouldn't sell the guns I have, but I would change my purchase priorities to things I'd get the most use out of. I'm still working on getting 1 of everything I want, not stocking up on multiples.

ConstitutionCowboy
March 5, 2009, 10:37 AM
I'll keep them all and buy more. There is only one reason that there would never be another "AWB".

Woody

leadcounsel
March 5, 2009, 10:44 AM
Nope. I'm a buy and hold kinda guy unless I'm trading UP for something more bad***.

For the sake of argument I won't sell.

But for the record we are going to forever have an assault against the 2nd Amendment and dark days are ahead -- and the more political unrest we see, the greater the call from the left to ban and the greater the call from the right to protect the 2nd Amendment.

chuckusaret
March 5, 2009, 11:45 AM
Nope. I bought each of my guns for a reason, and those reasons won't change, ban or no ban.

I bought guns for home defense and I bought some guns to shoot. I can do without, but I won't, the shooters that serve no purpose except to kill paper tagets and milk jugs. Thats the guns to go if I would need cash.

Byron Quick
March 5, 2009, 01:14 PM
I sold an HK91 a couple of years ago. And bought more guns with the proceeds. I didn't buy more EBR's in November. Already had enough. I bought more magazines in October and was given a number of SKS stripper clips for Christmas.

I'd buy more ammunition as I've only got a few cases on hand now.

Ohio Gun Guy
March 5, 2009, 01:21 PM
They are not just trophies....They do serve purpose, so No....

Duke of Doubt
March 5, 2009, 01:22 PM
altitude19: "You can't buy an EBR after an election .."

Of four American Presidential assassinations by firearm and five known attempted Presidential assassinations by firearm, none yet have involved a semi-automatic firearm of any sort.

That said, back in 1914 there was a certain Archducal assassination involving a semi-automatic firearm. But he wasn't elected.

rbernie
March 5, 2009, 02:35 PM
Of four American Presidential assassinations by firearm and five known attempted Presidential assassinations by firearm, none yet have involved a semi-automatic firearm of any sort.I thought that the PR nationalists who tried to take out Truman carried a P08 and a P38 - no?

SpecialKalltheway
March 5, 2009, 02:51 PM
they'd be cheaper, so I'd buy more. That wasn't an option though

Prion
March 5, 2009, 03:05 PM
I only buy guns I plan to own forever. I bought a couple on my list a bit sooner in case of a ban. Low capacity, unlikely to be banned guns are now at the bottom of the list but nothing was added to the list. I like EBR's, actually I like them all. One of each please.

Ben Shepherd
March 5, 2009, 04:31 PM
I NEVER sell guns without good reason. Used to be able say NEVER, period. Moneywise, as of late the recent divorce has proven to be said good reason.:fire:
In my younger days, I sold a few that I shot rarely. Found out I regretted each and every one I did sell. So, up until the divorce I sold nary a one in the last 15 years.

The key though- I've been smart/lucky enough that I've not had to sell my "only" this, that or the other. If it get's to that point, I'll live on ramen noodles and cracked wheat first.

tradja
March 5, 2009, 05:20 PM
It's not a "cold, dead fingers" thing in this case, it's just that I don't have a lot of spares and they are among my favorites to shoot and train with.

KBintheSLC
March 5, 2009, 05:25 PM
If the threat of AWB disapeared would you sell off your Evil guns?
No... never.
My ownership of this type of weapon has nothing to do with the threat of losing that right. I own a battle rifle because it is a tool used to defend my freedom, and as long as I am alive, I will defend my freedom.

BTW... the "threat" will never really go away. Defending our rights is like weeding a garden... The work is never really finished.

Zundfolge
March 5, 2009, 05:30 PM
Of four American Presidential assassinations by firearm and five known attempted Presidential assassinations by firearm, none yet have involved a semi-automatic firearm of any sort.
Squeaky Fromme came at Pres Ford with a half loaded (and no round chambered) 1911.

Giuseppe Zangara shot at FDR with at .32ACP

Oscar Collazo used a P-38 and his partner Griselio Torresola had a Luger when they attempted to kill Harry Truman.

Francisco Duran shot at the white house with an SKS while Clinton lived there.

Keep in mind however that most of these folk were either felons or foreign nationals that had no legal right to be carrying a gun (and the closest thing to an "assault weapon" was Duran's SKS ... and he was already a felon).

At any rate, I was just curious to see how many folk here primarily bought so-called assault weapons in order to have them should a ban go into effect vs how many folk bought them just because they liked them.

Hawk
March 5, 2009, 05:54 PM
If the threat of AWB disapeared would you sell off your Evil guns?

I doubt anyone would buy them - I ruined 'em.

There's a Rock River varmint with huge stainless barrel and space cadet telescope - probably weighs 15 pounds and stopped looking evil shortly after the moon scope went on.

Then there's the BM Dissipater upper I bought as a "donation" when BM was getting sued after those guys went nuts on the D.C. beltway - I stuck it on a Rock River lower. It has the old-fashioned handle and is bereft of picante rails and places for spot lights, NV gear and sat phones. An EOTech or ACOG would look like a cowboy riding a pigeon perched on the carry handle so it's best I not go down that road. It's very much like the original EBR which is far less tac-tickle than most current EBRs.

And they were both Clinton administration approved with solid stocks and no place to put my bayonets.

Not very EBR anymore.

I put a Choate stock on the MAK-90 so even that thing looks sort of PC.

MagnumDweeb
March 5, 2009, 08:40 PM
Absolutely not. I've decided everything I buy, I buy for life. The fiancee is cool with that. We've come to an understanding that while I won't spend obscene amounts of money on guns and ammo (meaning what I get as an NRA instructor, and extra-fiscal day trading[an account separate from long term savings]) I can buy what I want. When I told her I want, when we get our first house, buy ten Mosin Nagant 91/30s and 8k of ammo for them she went "cool, for our kids right", and I replied "and for our grandkids, cause one day there won't be anymore of them left at cheap prices. Plus I just finished my second AK build and she knows that other than the surplus stuff most of my buying is done unless they are kit builds I enjoy. While I've drained my extra-expendable income stocking up, I've decided to go ahead and save up to tackle a DP28 rebuild, and a PPSH 43 (my Uncle just finished one and lives right near by).

The day I have too much is the day I can't park my cars in the garage, fit any more guns safes(I already own three) in my rec room(I will one day have), and there are no more regulations regarding firearms and the 2nd Amendment is well patronized by every American.

Kind of Blued
March 6, 2009, 01:40 AM
I'd try to keep things going in the right direction. Assuming that worked out, I'd sell my ARs and AKs once I could replace them with select-fire versions.

Duke of Doubt
March 6, 2009, 04:02 AM
Zundfolge: "Squeaky Fromme came at Pres Ford with a half loaded (and no round chambered) 1911."

Overlooked Squeaky; didn't think she got off a shot.

Giuseppe Zangara shot at FDR with at .32ACP

Counted that as an Anton Cermak assassination, rather than as an FDR attempt. But many scholars agree with you. Fair enough.

Oscar Collazo used a P-38 and his partner Griselio Torresola had a Luger when they attempted to kill Harry Truman.

Counted that as a foiled Congressional assassination attempt, with Truman as a secondary target never engaged. There's a "plot" to kill the President at any given time.

Francisco Duran shot at the white house with an SKS while Clinton lived there.

Wouldn't count this either, unless he knew Clinton was inside in proximity and had the technical means of penetrating the curtainwall.

Duke of Doubt
March 6, 2009, 04:06 AM
rbernie: "I thought that the PR nationalists who tried to take out Truman carried a P08 and a P38 - no?"

See my reply to Zundfolge, above. I understood Truman to be a secondary target and never engaged, and that the primary, where the terrorists were fatally engaged, was the House. Correct me if I am mistaken.

stubbicatt
March 6, 2009, 06:01 AM
If the spectre disappeared, I'd just buy, sell, trade as I would normally do. If I found something I liked better than what I have, I'd have much less reluctance to make a trade or sell something.

I guess the specre of AWB does sort of make me consider carefully any decisions I might make like that.

chuckusaret
March 6, 2009, 08:50 AM
I only buy guns to shoot, if I don't shoot them they are sold. I have friends who own 10 times more guns than me but only shoot one or two favorites. Their exotics remain locked away and never fired. On ocassion, when the right company is over, they take them out and stroke them.

Ed Ames
March 6, 2009, 09:45 AM
Kinda doesn't matter, but:

I think the reason for the "is this anti?" comments is that this poll really doesn't do anything except confirm biases. It doesn't offer the possibility for revelation -- the possibility we'll learn something new by reading or participating.

It gives people the option of being "cold dead hands" gun nuts, "arms to the highest bidder" opportunists, or Good ol boy hunter at heart but if it pisses off yankees I'm fer it too."

I'm not any of those things.

I think my parents grew up with the blue and walnut aesthetic. That's what they liked, what they talked about. I grew up with the laminate and stainless steel aesthetic. The gun I have that I think just looks best has a rather gaudy dyed laminate stock. If I had an unstocked SKS or AK and the choice of putting black plastic or red-green-purple-black laminate on it, I'd go for the laminate in a heartbeat. It's just what I like. Other people like green plastic.

I'm also very utilitarian. Odd combination, I know, but I detest things tacked on just because. If something is a part of my car, or my rifle, I want to know why and I want it to have a purpose.

The AR can actually fit fairly well into my functional and aesthetic standards. The rifles themselves are very functional, they can be interesting and utilitarian all at once. I'd buy one. Have....

But not because they are "evil" or because there is, was, or may be any sort of ban.

JWF III
March 6, 2009, 08:24 PM
My vote is for #4- One of these days I'll get around to buying a EBR.

But I do have to admit my Minis have the features that the antis love to hate.

Wyman

Bill_Rights
March 7, 2009, 09:29 AM
On point: I voted "No" and am still buying guns that I should have bought years ago - not at all time to sell. On top of that, I am training family and friends on use of firearms (mine), and, when it's time for any of them to own a gun of their own, and if I had any extra, I'd give away or sell cheaply to them.

Off point: I know Zundfolge is neither anti nor, intentionally, a troll. Just read his tag line link sometime: http://www.nationalreview.com/kopel/kopel120501.shtml

But ZF's wording in the OP of this thread your Monstrously High Powered Evil Black Rifles and Super Capacity Death Machine handguns had me wondering whether or not to respond, for fear of falling into a troll's trap, even before I scrolled down as far as CoRoMo's comment. It had a "chilling effect", as liberals like to say, on my free expression. But I went away and thought about it and now I am back, thawed.

Thanks, CoRoMo, for calling ZF out, gently. As CoRoMo said in a follow-on post, the issue is not with ZF's personal credentials but the (unintended) effect of his words.

My new point: What CoRoMo did by flagging the effect of ZF's wording is a good thing, and, to my point, this is something that can only be rightly done by other members, not moderators. If a moderator were issuing troll challenges/warnings publicly, it really would be "chilling" and would (partly) play into the hands of the antis. When another member does so, it not only corrects the immediate "problem" but also raises the level of troll-vigilence and promotes care in selecting troll-proof posting and responding content. I think. I hope. (Still kinda a noob here.)

Davionmaximus
March 7, 2009, 09:45 AM
I won't sell mine until they come out with a hand held death ray...:evil:

flrfh213
March 7, 2009, 11:34 PM
I am hosting a safe haven for all firearms so yall feel free to send them to me for safe keeping...lol

azhunter122
March 8, 2009, 03:02 PM
Depends what guns I'm into, one day I might like Glocks, then 1911's the next. It all depends on my situation.

If you enjoyed reading about "If there's NEVER another AWB..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!