reccomend a 3 inch locking folder please

PDA

w9trb
March 4, 2009, 07:49 PM
I live in Illinois and need a new lock-blade folder. It must have a 3 inch or slightly less blade, but have a handle on the generous side for my large hands. Use will be mostly to carry where and when I can't have a better weapon.

If you enjoyed reading about "reccomend a 3 inch locking folder please" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
highorder
March 4, 2009, 07:52 PM
I love the Gerber LST:

http://www.gerbergear.com/index.php/product/id/187

w9trb
March 4, 2009, 08:06 PM
Now one more question, if you please. The web page doesn't really get around to saying where they are made. I've been to two stores locally and all the knives seem to be made in China. Not my cup of tea. I have a Solingen fixed blade and am not averse to another German blade. Really would prefer American, though.

w9trb
March 4, 2009, 08:17 PM
Gerber is American. Yeah! Ordered one for my needs. Thanks for your advice.

bikerdoc
March 4, 2009, 08:19 PM
w9trb,
Just suggestion, take a look at the Spyderco Native. US made, s30v steel, 3" blade, 39 dollars at wallmart. Sharp out of the box and well made.
Just my .02 good luck.

hso
March 4, 2009, 08:34 PM
The LST is kinda small for someone with large hands.

The Native may fit better.

Most companies want to cram as much blade into a handle as they can so finding a folder with a 3" blade in a 4" handle is difficult.

Take a look at the current offerings from CRKT. They have a few that have 3" blades and 4" handles.

Rupestris
March 4, 2009, 08:34 PM
The Gerber LST is a great choice. I've sung the praises of the LST here quite a bit. That knife will serve you well for a long time. Congrats.

That said. It sounds like you're looking for something that can double as a defensive weapon. If you find yourself looking for something a bit quicker to deploy and with steel liners, take a look at the BenchMade Mini Griptillian.

Blade length is 2.9" so it comes in just under the wire. The Axis lock is bullet proof. Comes with a pocket clip or can be used without. Available with thumb stud or thumb hole. A ridiculous number of colors including pink if you're looking for something super PC :p.

Chris

w9trb
March 4, 2009, 08:46 PM
Well, here in Illinois as a law abiding citizen, I am much more likely to get shot than stabbed. And, I know it is not wise to take a knife to a gun fight, but being completely unable to damage or mark my assailant is also unacceptable. I guess it is more about keeping my mind attuned to the fact that I am not going down easy--is what it is about.

Exmasonite
March 4, 2009, 08:54 PM
i'm a huge fan of the Benchmade Mini-griptilian. Axis lock is darn near nuke proof.

Not sure how "beefy" the handle is but i've never had an issue with it.

sm
March 4, 2009, 09:21 PM
Another suggestion:

Buck® Prince® SlimLine™ Lockback
http://www.eknifeworks.com/webapp/eCommerce/product.jsp?Mode=Cat&Brand=&CatalogName=&PriceStart=&PriceEnd=&Feature=&Cat=81&filter=&SearchText=buck&list=50&SKU=BU244

I think Wal-Mart carries this one, so this might assist you by handling it for fit.
This one is a good looking knife, and does not look tactical therefore more people friendly.

No, it does not have a clip, and does not have assist opening - still it is easy to open one hand.
This knife and the others in this series , Squire, and I forget the other one, being so, are therefore allowed in those restrictive settings where , one hand assist is not.

It looks like what it is, a good looking knife, a person would use for general use, small game, and the like.
A number of ladies have gone to these knives to stay under the radar.

highorder
March 5, 2009, 09:53 AM
sm,

I'm usually not one for Buck, but that's a decent looking knife. How is the steel?

I know the steel on the LST is nothing special 440 stainless, but it's easy to sharpen and holds a decent edge.

What do you use to maintain the Buck?

Omaha-BeenGlockin
March 5, 2009, 12:51 PM
Benchmade 525---not cheap--but well worth it.

Limeyfellow
March 5, 2009, 02:44 PM
In the size and for everyday carry there are many choices out there that will do the job great.

My current one would be the Kershaw Blur with a straight Sandvik 13C26 stainless blade. Great blade, nigh unslippable handle. I love this knife. I also love the Leek too, though that isn't as hard a working knife.

The Spyderco Delicas and Enduras work very well and I love the grip shape and texture and jimping on them. Fantastic steel with the S30V, especially for the money.

The Spyderco Native does a great job too. Nice flat grind on it and excellent steel. I just prefer the ridge on top of the other two Spydercos I mentioned.

The Benchmade mini Griptillian is expensive but well loved. It has about the strongest lock on it, but you will pay for it.

Then there is always the new Swiss Army Soldier knife. I been wanting to get one of these.

3pairs12
March 5, 2009, 02:45 PM
SOG Twitch 2

skwab
March 5, 2009, 04:23 PM
I have to say I'm a big fan of Kershaw - I'm very new to knives so my experience is limited as far as knives go - but for the money I've been very pleased with the three I've picked up - a blackout, Boa and RAM - each are different in their own right but each one is great. The Boa is a tad heavy for EDC for me since I wear scrubs but the RAM and Blackout are great. All 3 feel very solid in the hand and secure with the blade open.

Carl Levitian
March 5, 2009, 04:46 PM
"Now one more question, if you please. The web page doesn't really get around to saying where they are made. I've been to two stores locally and all the knives seem to be made in China. Not my cup of tea. I have a Solingen fixed blade and am not averse to another German blade. Really would prefer American, though."

The Gerber LST series, as well as the LST magnums, Ultra light LST's, and Gator series are all still made in Portland Oregon.

I took 20 years to wear out my original LST, and just bought a new one a few months back. It's just as good as the old one, and marked Portland, Oregon.

sm
March 5, 2009, 07:56 PM
What do you use to maintain the Buck?

An Eze Lap 600 grit diamond , either the credit card size, or the 3" x 1" with the groove down the middle for sharpening hooks in a leather pouch, or Hone--Stone.

I do not personally have one of these Bucks, or Gerber LST, I have recommended, given, and not only free hand sharpened these, I have also taught others how to freehand sharpen these, with the Eze Laps mentioned.

Honest, the 600 grit will take care of over 90% of your needs. Use these dry, and from time to time use baking soda, or BonAmi, with a toothbrush to clean.

Strop dry, on the back of a legal pad, or use your belt.

http://www.eze-lap.com/product/creditcard.htm (model 201)
http://www.eze-lap.com/product/1x3ds.htm (model 21)
http://www.eze-lap.com/product/honestone.htm ( L pak 4)

HTH (hope that helps)

Steve

TMM
March 5, 2009, 08:02 PM
I'm gonna put a +1 on a Benchmade. made in US, superb quality in the three that i own. if you can, get an AXIS lock, they're great, easy to use, and rugged. i used to buy a lot of knives... i stopped when i bought benchmade. no more searching for the perfect knife. i've been carrying the 732 Ares for the past 2 or 3 years every day.

tmm

Funderb
March 5, 2009, 08:05 PM
inexpensive and good,
kershaw vapor I

James T Thomas
March 5, 2009, 08:14 PM
Another good one:

KaBar FIN folding, frame lock at 2.75 inch.
At .knifecenter.

You will not get much better; in price or quality or the fit in your hand that you are looking for.

high voltage
March 5, 2009, 10:38 PM
Any of the Emerson Snubby models. Especially the waved variety. Full size handles, titanium liner lock, G-10 scales, and the fastest opening of any folder. Also US made. Prices are on the steep side, but if you shop around deals can be had. My buddy picked up a mini CQC-7 new for 100$. I like their larger knives, I have a Commander, CQC-7, Combat Karambit and they are all tank tough.( I am hard on my knives)

I have Benchmades, Spyderco, Zero tolerance, Microtech. I EDC a Emerson more often than not. Good luck finding something that fits your needs!
HV

Big Bill
March 5, 2009, 11:01 PM
Buy this Kershaw Junk Yard Dog. The price is right. It's made-in-the-USA of Sandvik 13C26. (BTW, I'm not the seller and have no affiliation with him or her.) FWIW, I'd offer $5 less to pay the shipping.

http://www.myknifesource.com/tuioMVC-019S.JPG

http://cgi.ebay.com/Kershaw-Knife-Junkyard-Dog-1720-Stainless-NEW-Plain-JYD_W0QQitemZ230328017104QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

hso
March 5, 2009, 11:26 PM
Hate the logos.

Like the knife.

BTW, Ken no longer has a contract with Kershaw so every knife sold is a testament to their error in severing their relationship with him.

CZ.22
March 5, 2009, 11:32 PM
Kershaw Skyline.
http://www.knifecenter.com/kc_new/store_detail.html?s=KS1760

conw
March 6, 2009, 01:58 AM
http://www.alaskasgreatoutdoors.com/Alaska%20photos/KEN%20ONION%20KING%20SALMON.jpg

They let the big one get away.

James T Thomas
March 6, 2009, 12:34 PM
"Big Bill:"

When I saw that Kershaw Junk Yard knife, I recognized it as the model my youngest son, who serves our nation in the USAF, uses on his job.
He is a loadmaster, and may have to cut parachute lines from some dangling paratrooper being dragged behind an aircraft so that he may fall free and deploy his emergency chute.
And other duty uses as well as perhaps for survival.

Big Bill
March 6, 2009, 03:14 PM
James - I really like mine. And, please let your son kmow that I'm grateful for his service to our country.

lightbulb0413
March 6, 2009, 03:30 PM
I personally have been carrying the Gerber Crusader for two years. It has a form fitting handle that is comfortable and secure. As well, it has a clip so I keep it on my belt and have been carrying it this way for 6months and it is yet to fall off.

http://www.gerbergear.com/index.php/product/id/74

I use it all the time.

M'bogo
March 7, 2009, 01:56 AM
How about an Emerson CQC-14 Snubby? It has a nice sized handle and the blade is under 3".

http://www.emersonknives.com/ekCQC14.php

Here is a link for the CQC-14 that looks afordable to most.

http://discountsupplyunlimited.com/emerson_cqc_14_snubby_knife.html

That being said I just picked up a new Spyerco Native and retired my old Native with the Gin-1 stainless blade.

M'bogo

w9trb
March 7, 2009, 06:48 PM
Wow, you guys have given me a lot of choice knives to consider. My L.S.T. should be here Monday, but nothing says I can only have one good knife,right? The reptilian and the cqc have my attention, will post later and let everyone know how it turns out.

Scotticus
March 8, 2009, 08:53 AM
I like the CRKT Drifter 2.875" blade of 8Cr14MoV and G10 scales. Comes as both plain edge and partially serrated versions. $30 or less. Here's a link to a pic of one: https://www.shopatron.com/product/part_number=6450K/638.0

w9trb
March 10, 2009, 01:07 AM
Well, the LST arrived and at first I was a little under-whelmed. But as I handled it a bit I really started to like it. It will be good to carry when I wear a suit and it won't be bulky in my pocket. But because I want a little larger handle I ordered the CQC-14 today.

Again, many thanks for all the suggestions on knives to consider.

After that church shooting yesterday here in Illinois, I felt the distinct urge to say the hell with it and arm up and run whatever the risk of jail-time might be. I have lots of family here or I would just pack up and go.

Carl Levitian
March 10, 2009, 03:58 PM
I expect the more you handle the LST, the more you will like and come to appreatiate the unusual handle contours. Even with a big hand, you will have a secure grip, and like you said, it's so light, you can forget it's there. But don't let the lightweight fool you, it's a way more rugged knife than you will think. When I got the first one 20 years ago, I bought a second one to test to destruction, since at that time they were 12.99.

and a plus is they look so innocent. Low profile.

It took alot more punishment to destroy it that I would have thought. :eek:

w9trb
March 11, 2009, 09:12 AM
Carl,

You are right about the handle. It doesn't look like much, but it feels really good in my hand. Sort of made me wonder how they figured that one out. They must have really put some research into it.

highorder
March 11, 2009, 11:14 AM
After recommending the LST, I went out and bought and Ultralight LST as a companion to the bigger LST...

Its tiny, and a nice 5th pocket blade.

Carl Levitian
March 11, 2009, 01:07 PM
"You are right about the handle. It doesn't look like much, but it feels really good in my hand. Sort of made me wonder how they figured that one out. They must have really put some research into it."

The way I understand it, Pete Gerber was the genious behind the LST. The original run was with micarta handles, but later they went with the zytel for it's ability to be molded into more complex and subtle shapes for the grip. I've had my hands wet with water and fish slime, yet the LST was still firm in hand.

The LST is a knife that has to be used to be apreatiated. I've used alot of knives in my life, mostly traditional pocket knives. The LST is the knife I keep returning to for general dirty deeds use.

bobbytm
March 13, 2009, 12:26 PM
CRKT M1-13D is a good choice.

w9trb
March 14, 2009, 10:43 AM
Close, but the blade is over Three inches. Here in Illinois the law starts getting enforceable at 3 inches. So, blades like 2.9 inches or so are what I have got to have, just to be street legal.

w9trb
March 19, 2009, 10:39 PM
The crc-14 snubby is here, now. It is everything I will need. Large handle and slightly less than a Three inch blade. It really feels right in my hand. So, now I've got an LST for when I need to be subtle and the CQC14 for EDC. I read here and on other forums about Soligen not being anything other than just a "place" in Germany and not really a precise indicator of a good knife. So the Soligen knife that I got from Springfield armory is going to set on the shelf in the closet. I went out and picked up a Buck 119 Special (American made). So, now I feel I've covered all the bases I was concerned about. Thanks for all the suggestions. I've spent so much time with my rifles that the whole world of knives just slipped right by...Thanks again, All.

M'bogo
March 20, 2009, 03:30 AM
Glad you like the CQC Snubby. Its a great EDC knife.

M'bogo

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
March 20, 2009, 09:17 AM
Depends on the budget - what's the budget?

If you enjoyed reading about "reccomend a 3 inch locking folder please" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!