Ccw 1911

PDA

gator1gear
March 4, 2009, 08:41 PM
Who out there uses a 1911 As their PRIMARY concealed carry weapon? If you do, I have close to a hundred questions for you:D What holster do you use? Do you carry the gov't model or a compact? Does it feel like a cinder block on your side after a while? I'm 6'4 ,about 220 lbs (about, means I've underestimated) I want a 1911, and I won't carry it everyday, but when I do, I would like to know how to make it tolerable. Not comfortable, tolerable. I know there are better choices for CC weapons out there, but I've had a 1911 itch for a long time now. Thanks !!

If you enjoyed reading about "Ccw 1911" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
FMF
March 4, 2009, 08:44 PM
I carry my 5" Thunder Ranch everyday in a Crossbreed Super Tuck and it's absolutely comfortable. The slim frame of the 1911 really hides well in this holster. I only notice the pistol when I sit in my car and at that point it's tolerable instead of comfortable. I'm 6'1" 250, btw.

gator1gear
March 4, 2009, 08:53 PM
Do you carry it in the summer months?

CWL
March 4, 2009, 09:09 PM
If you live anywhere where there are real 'gators', I'd suggest that you consider kydex to deal with the heat & humidity.

gator1gear
March 4, 2009, 09:43 PM
LOL. I'm close to Atlanta, I'm a really big Florida Gators fan.

MT GUNNY
March 4, 2009, 10:29 PM
"Modified" Ross IWB I call it Belt Retention, Very comfortable and Multi positioning. Sometimes if the Pants Fit Well I don't even use a belt. I use this Method all day long, hardly can tell its there even when sitting

93918 93919

PT1911
March 4, 2009, 10:33 PM
I carry mine on a somewhat regular basis, depending on the clothing I am wearing... it is a full sized... I simply wear an inside the pants holster that fits the gun well and wear it in the small of my back... (some are against that carry) but it is comfortable and easily hidden that way.. there are also leather belt holsters available to fit 1911's of all sizes and keep them in a similare place on your back...more love handle area... but you get the idea.

sohcgt2
March 4, 2009, 10:57 PM
I'm about your same size Gator and I sometimes carry a 1911 although I usually carry a full size Glock. The 1911 is comfortable but noticable all day when carried in a Ross IWB available at Autry's Armory in Fayetteville. If I carry it in my Fobus paddle holster I forget I have it on.

harrygunner
March 4, 2009, 11:11 PM
Have a full sized and a Commander sized. I use IWB holsters with my carry guns. The 1911 is comfortable for me since it is slim, plus the length keeps the gun stable on the belt.

I have a "thing" for leather holsters with 1911's, yet have Kydex for my other carry guns. But, in Georgia, Kydex may be a good idea.

Here's the best photo I have of my carry rig. The holster is a Milt Sparks VM2.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d199/harrygunner/one%20asterisk/1asterisk6.jpg

Evenflo76
March 4, 2009, 11:21 PM
RIA compact tactical in a smartcarry.

Springfield LW Operator in a Andrews McDaniel II IWB

The compact will fit in the Andrews as well.

Mostly, smaller 1911 in smartcarry

AKElroy
March 4, 2009, 11:23 PM
It is not my primary carry, but I freaquently carry a 5" Colt 1911 in a high ride pancake open top holster @ the 4 O'clock position (just over & slightly behind my right hip). I am only comfortable doing this with jeans; my dress slacks to not accomodate a wide or rigid enough belt to keep the gun tucked in tight against the body. I wear button dress shirts, untucked to proved the conceal, and I forget the gun is there. When I'm @ work & wearing slacks, I go with a G27 in the front pocket.

GRIZ22
March 4, 2009, 11:45 PM
A De Santis Speed Scabbard holds the gun in tight, secure, and distributes the weight. There really isn't any IWB holster that dsitribute the weight as well as an OWB. I find no problem concealing a 1911 in a IWB with a slighly big T shirt and I'm not as big as you.

WoofersInc
March 5, 2009, 12:03 AM
Another 1911 person here. I will vary between 3, 4, and 5 inch lengths based on what I am wearing and time of year. I use a Galco Summer Comfort IWB and also a Galco Silhouette. Key to a 1911 is a good holster and belt. I have no problems hiding a full size and I'm 5-8 and 220lbs. I gotten so used to carrying that I really don't notice the weight at all.

MICHAEL T
March 5, 2009, 01:43 AM
I carry a DW bobtail or a Colt Defender in a http://ubgholster.com

ShadyScott999
March 5, 2009, 07:39 PM
I carry a 5" bobtail in a Sparks VMII. Forget it is even there.

sohcgt2
March 5, 2009, 07:44 PM
I do carry everyday and as I said earlier the Kydex paddle holster is by far the most comfortable because it spreads the weight of the gun over about 15 square inches of surface. The problem with it is it doesn't conceal well except in winter if you wear a coat. I took a picture of the gun with both holsters so you could see how the tuckable Ross is made. It allows you to conceal wearing a dress shirt and trousers.93961

Billy Shears
March 5, 2009, 07:46 PM
I have a Les Baer Premier II Super Tac that I used to carry every day. The only reason that I don't still is because my department won't authorize any single action auto. Now I have a Hi Power SFS, but I will probably be converting one of my series 70 Colts to the SFS trigger, in order to see if they will allow that.

In my opinion, there is no better full size auto for ccw than the 1911. The gun is actually flatter than most 9mms, and the rounded surface on the top of the slide makes it better still, especially for inside the waistband carry. Compare it with most modern autos, like SIGs and Glocks, which have flat-topped slides, and you'll notice how much more comfortable the 1911 is for IWB carry.

I've always favored the full size 1911, with the 5" bbl. I don't find the commander especially more concealable, and I like the little bit of extra velocity from the longer tube, and I just like the way the full size guns shoot better. I have two holsters in which I carry: a Milt Sparks versa max 2, which is an IWB holster, and a Kramer Handgun Leather belt scabbard, with is outside the waistband, which I wear when I wear a longer jacket or suit coat that hangs down far enough to cover the gun. Both holsters are strong side belt holsters with the same FBI rake, so there's no difference in the draw from either one. Both are horsehide, since it's stiffer -- almost as hard as kydex -- and thus there is no danger of the holster collapsing once the gun is out. This makes reholstering easier.

HisSoldier
March 5, 2009, 07:59 PM
Milt Sparks, 20-26 weeks!

gator1gear
March 5, 2009, 08:14 PM
Wow! Lots of info in this thread! In the summer, I'm usually in cargo shorts and and loose Dickies shirt or loose polo type shirts. From the looks of things I'd still be able to conceal a 1911. I'm trying to decide between a compact 1911 or a Glock 27. I know going in that the Glocks are really "blocky" (is that a word?) Sounds like the 1911 may actually be more comfy...Oh I mean tolerable.

glocks rock
March 5, 2009, 08:28 PM
I'm 5'10' 240 with a muscular build. I carry a Gov. mod. 1911 on a regular basis. I carry in a Center of Mass paddle holster. It consiels very well. I used to like the Commander but the Gov. is just as easy to carry and I like the feel better.

Jason_G
March 5, 2009, 09:02 PM
Here's the rig I use:
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e15/itsthewhitmans/jason/Holstered1.jpg

Milt Sparks Summer Special II. I will probably get a VMII before too long, but the SSII works just great. Main thing is you want a good stiff belt that will hold the weight well. With the right belt and holster, an all steel 1911 is not as bad to carry as you would think. I can make that 4.25" barreled commander "go away" under a semi-loose fitting polo that is untucked, or an untucked button down shirt. I can make it disappear under a thick T-shirt as long as I am only standing, but if I bend down or to the sides it will print a little.

Jason

Evenflo76
March 5, 2009, 10:49 PM
compact 1911 or a Glock 27

I will assume you are in FL based on your tag. Both are excellent choices for CCW. Holster consideration is more limited in these environments. Especially if no undershirt is worn during the rainy season.

I have carried a G26/27 and the 1911 compact here. The 1911 Compact is similar in size, except it has a slimmer profile. Also, it has more items that protrude. such as the external safety and grip safety.

Look into www.smartcarry.com and www.highnoonholsters.com

Both are made in FL and relatively inexpensive.

TurboJeff
March 10, 2009, 05:40 AM
I carry either my Kimber Tactical Custom II (govt. size) or my Para 1911 SSP, also govt. size.

I use both a MS VM II and a Galco Royal Guard on a Wilderness Tactical 1.5" gun belt.

I occationally carry a Glock 30 also using a VM II or Royal Guard, but I much prefer carrying one of the 1911s.

kashton
March 10, 2009, 06:49 AM
My advice: Do not get a 911 shorter than 4.25 inches. A Commander length is perfect for a CCW. I use an Ed Brown Kobra Carry Commander 1911 in a Milt Sparks VMII at the 4:00 position.

The Hogue grips may not be the most attractive grips that are made for this gun, but they are my favorite because when I draw from my holster the sights line up naturally.

http://i703.photobucket.com/albums/ww37/kashton/KobraCarry017.jpg

Here it is in a Galco Royal Guard, also a fine holster:

http://i703.photobucket.com/albums/ww37/kashton/KobraCarry011.jpg

45crittergitter
March 28, 2009, 04:10 PM
I'm about half the OP's size and I carry a LIGHTWEIGHT 5" 1911 IWB daily, comfortably. Use a good holster and good belt.

sevin8nin
March 28, 2009, 04:56 PM
I carry a commander sized 1911 almost every day. Sometimes I'll carry a 3" model instead, but I really prefer the commander.
I got a holster from UBG and it's been a really nice holster for both comfort and concealability.
http://www.ubgholsters.com/DSC00107.JPG

HorseSoldier
March 28, 2009, 05:50 PM
Never had problems carrying a 4" Kimber Tac Pro or my Dan Wesson CBOB in IWB holsters, though my current CCW is a High Power and not a 1911.

Of the holster brands recommended so far, I've also had good experiences with Milt Sparks, Kramer, and Galco. I'd also definitely recommend looking at Horseshoe Leather/Andy Arratonian over in the UK -- he does very nice work, though I think he's running a backlog of 6-8 weeks right now.

jad0110
March 28, 2009, 05:53 PM
My advice: Do not get a 911 shorter than 4.25 inches.

And a 5" is only a tad bigger, so either is doable.

I frequently carry a 5" all steel 1911 in a Gary Brommeland Max Con V leather IWB holster on a 1 3/4" Beltman bullhide belt. I completely disappears, once you find the exact spot to carry it (I like 3:30 strong side, carries in the small of my hip).

As long as you aren't too short, the 5" length shouldn't even bother you when sitting. I am 6'7" and 205, BTW.

In addition to the 5: 1911, I have carried this a couple of times in a Fist #19, IIRC, with no difficulty ...

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q139/jad0110/Smith%20and%20Wesson%20Model%2014%2038%20Special/IMG_1599.jpg

rbernie
March 28, 2009, 07:10 PM
I only carry 5" 1911s these days. When I can, I carry in a fanny pack. When I can't, I carry in a CompTac Minotaur OWB.

Zerodefect
March 28, 2009, 08:27 PM
Fullsize Kimber CDP. Not my primary though.

Works ok with the MTAC and MS Versa 2 that I've borrowed. I haven't made up my mind on any newer holsetrs either, and my 1911's seriously need one.

I just put Alumagrips slimgrips on my CDP and it feels alot nicer now. Thinner.

.....Who needs a holster for a 1911 anyway! Its not like you really need to cover the trigger:neener:

Sometimes I've used my generic Uncle Mikes nylon IWB pouch like holster. It stinks to draw from and is impossible to reholster but it is thin and it deos conceal the 1911 ok.

jahwarrior
March 28, 2009, 10:22 PM
i carry Taurus PT1911 in a Desantis belt slide with thumb snap. i'm getting a Blackhawk SERPA for it for open carry, soon as i can find one.

sdj
March 29, 2009, 07:36 PM
SW1911Sc 4.5" (Commander) in either of these: Comp-Tac 2 o'clock (IWB) or Comp-Tac Belt Holster (OWB).

http://www.comp-tac.com/product_info.php?products_id=66
http://www.comp-tac.com/product_info.php?products_id=89

Very happy with this set up. Also carry 1 extra mag on the support side.

JDGray
March 29, 2009, 09:04 PM
I carry a Kimber UCII, in a horsehide Milt Sparks IWB. The key to comfort is getting a holster with two widely spaced belt loops, or clips. The single hung holsters just don't cut it. The horehide has never gotten soggy on me in the very humid summers in Michigan. My pic shows a S&W in the holster but the officers grip of the Kimber, made all the difference in the world in comfort, especially while sitting.
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b278/JDG357/IMG_0552.jpg

weisse52
March 30, 2009, 12:58 AM
I often carry a full size 1911 in a Milt Sparks summer special. I also have a Combat Commander that I sometimes carry.

I also use a Galco Jak Slide quite often in cool weather.

EHL
March 30, 2009, 02:45 AM
I carry a Kimber Ultra Eclipse on a Desantis Tuck This holster, great set up and I forget I'm carrying. I'm smaller than you too by the way.

Deanimator
March 30, 2009, 09:01 AM
Who out there uses a 1911 As their PRIMARY concealed carry weapon? If you do, I have close to a hundred questions for you What holster do you use? Do you carry the gov't model or a compact? Does it feel like a cinder block on your side after a while? I'm 6'4 ,about 220 lbs (about, means I've underestimated) I want a 1911, and I won't carry it everyday, but when I do, I would like to know how to make it tolerable. Not comfortable, tolerable. I know there are better choices for CC weapons out there, but I've had a 1911 itch for a long time now. Thanks !!
I don't have a single "primary" gun. I carry several interchangeably. One of my frequently carried guns is a full sized Norinco M1911.

I carry IWB in a Don Hume 715M. It feels fine for all day carry. I'm 5'7" and stout. The 715M is a good beginner's holster. It's well designed and well made, but not expensive. It's a good way to try out IWB without taking a big hit if it's not for you.

If you're going to carry IWB, make sure you get a holster that's reinforced at the top so that it's easy to holster or reholster your gun. That's not as important for an M1911 as it is for a Glock or S&W M&P, but it's still an important feature. My first IWB for my Glock 19 was a cheap (actually about the price of the Hume) Bianchi IWB that had no reinforcement. I stopped using it after only one or two times. It was so hard to get the gun in the holster when I got dressed in the morning, I was afraid I'd accidentally pull the trigger trying to do so.

Make sure you get a decent stiff belt which will properly support the holster.

Bufford t. Justice
March 30, 2009, 01:53 PM
I carry a full size 1911 every day. Holster??? What's that? Just get a good belt to hold your drawers up and it'll hold the gun too. I'm a big man myself and for me a holster is just that much more to conceal. Waistband carrier for years and never had a problem "printing" or loosing control. .02c

mljdeckard
March 30, 2009, 02:38 PM
I don't know at all that there are better choices. I carried many other full-size autos before I came back to a 1911 and it's what I'm staying with. It's what I shoot and handle best, so it's the best choice for carry. Smaller guns are harder to shoot, not easier.

I have repeatedly yelled in here at people who say that you must have a compact gun for carry, or that you can't carry a full-size gun. Comfort is relative. If you give a kid a Desert Eagle, who just turned 21 62 days ago and got his permit in the mail today, he will wear it under his left arm and swear he doesn't know it's there. If you take a 190 lb male who is not a gun person and try to get him to conceal a 5-shot snubby a variety of different places, he will say it's bothering him no matter what you do.

I use a Milt Sparks IWB, a Galco Miami Classic shoulder rig, and a fanny pack. I am not aware that I have ever been made as a carrier. I spend lots of time in summer in places hotter than 100 degrees.

Gryffydd
March 30, 2009, 03:17 PM
My primary is a Springfield Armory Mil-Spec 5". I usually carry in a Galco FLETCH (http://www.midwayusa.com/midwayusa/staticpages/highres/254064.jpg) It's quite comfortable for extended periods of time. Just a long shirt or jacket is plenty to cover it up at most times. I also have a Blackhawk Serpa paddle that I use at times. It's not quite as comfortable after you've been carrying all day. The third option I use is a cheap Don Hume IWB, basically one step up from Mexican Carry, but it stays where its supposed to. I don't find it any more difficult to carry than my XD9sc. However, I will say that depending on the model and where you carry it, you may want to get a carry bevel done. There are a lot of sharp spots on the back end of a 1911 compared to a Glock...

bhk
March 30, 2009, 08:57 PM
I carry a lighweight commander clone (SWPD 1911) in a Milt Sparks Summer Special and find in the most comfortable carry gun I have. The slimness of the 1911 make it one of the most concealable handguns around.

CPshooter
March 30, 2009, 09:35 PM
IMHO, the ideal concealed carry 1911 would have an aluminum compact/officer's grip and a commander length slide and barrel. I actually prefer a 4" bushingless barrel. I'm looking into buying or building up a 1911 like this so I can throw it in my carry rotation.

The problem is building one costs waaay too much. If anyone has seen the May 2009 Combat Handguns article on page 32 about the Springfield Armory CCC (Custom Carry Compact) 1911...then you've seen a nice carry 1911. However, the editor that ordered the gun for the article never mentioned the fact that it probably cost him $3,000.

This is a pic I just took with my iPhone (I hope I'm not breaking any copyright laws here!):

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n106/TonyG749/photo-75.jpg

So as far as I know, the only other affordable factory gun with a similar setup is the Kimber Compact CDP II. I know the Sig C3 is similar, but it has a barrel bushing and an external extractor. Are there any others?

dmazur
March 30, 2009, 09:48 PM
Colt 1991A1 Commander w/ Galco Quick Slide -

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb212/pacific1927/CCWsetup.jpg

Kind of Blued
March 30, 2009, 09:57 PM
Steel Government-sized in a Galco OWB or a Comp-Tac M-Tac IWB.

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=95320&stc=1&d=1238464972

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=95321&d=1238464944

fattboyzz
March 31, 2009, 07:31 PM
I carry a 1911 Springfield Champion during most of the year in a nylon shoulder holster over my tee and under a shirt or jacket ......but when it gets too hot I will use this same type holster under a tee with my pt145 mill-pro..! I am a big guy 6-1 280 built like a block so I can wear a large shirt without it bothering me or imprinting a whole lot .... just dont like sweating on my 1911s an I can spray the taurus of cause hey ....its a taurus ....

If you enjoyed reading about "Ccw 1911" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!