CZ 550 Varmint Kevlar? Opinions?

PDA

gadegaard
March 4, 2009, 09:21 PM
So what do you guys think? It looks really nice to me, this will be my first bolt action. Im wanting a really nice 308 that can reach out to at least 800+ yards. I think I have narrowed it down to this or the Savage 10FCP HS. Both are around the same price $850. But this is about the CZ. The stock is nice, detachable mag, 25.6 in B-length, mauser action. So how does this compare to other guns, and is the mauser action better then the savage action or etc. Has anyone every shot or handled one of these? Thanks alot, Beau.

If you enjoyed reading about "CZ 550 Varmint Kevlar? Opinions?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Strongbad
March 5, 2009, 12:23 AM
Between the Savage and the CZ, I'd take the CZ... but I'm CZ bias. I have the same rifle only in the laminate 22-250 version. That being said, I'd take an SPS Tactical over the 308 version of the CZ.

The CZ is a slick operating rifle and the single set trigger is awesome. They're good stout actions and would make a solid platform to build off of down the road. The CZ action is no better than the Savage per say, but it'd certainly be my preference.

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
March 5, 2009, 11:27 AM
CZ550s in general are very very good - I would not hesitate to buy any of their products, if another one appealed to me.

rino451
March 5, 2009, 11:55 AM
Have one of the Varmint Kevlar's in .308.

Pro's:
1. Don't tell anyone but the cz 750 10 round mags work just fine in it and are under $50.
2. Nice aluminum bedding blocked stock.
3. accurate.
4. set trigger is the bee's knees.

Con's:
1. not many really good scope mounts. Ken Ferrell's are good.
2. the action is "sloppy" compared to the rem 700, but it's typical mauser sloppy.
3. might be considered heavy.
4. stock made by HS Precision.
5. I have a hard time getting it to fit. Combination of stock length, trigger location, and scope rail have conspired against me to make it a great rifle for me.
6. It's a funny intermediate mauser action so I don't think you can just run out and buy aftermarket/custom mauser parts and expect them to drop-in.

Horsemany
March 5, 2009, 02:27 PM
700 Police in 308 has been one of the most accurate guns I own. And I own several guns that will shoot 1/2" or less. You can't wear one out and they're deadly accurate.

I'd add another con to the CZ. LOOOONG lock time like all mausers. Especially with the set trigger.

If you enjoyed reading about "CZ 550 Varmint Kevlar? Opinions?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!