FN P90 costs how much!

PDA

servantofinari
March 4, 2009, 10:34 PM
Okay, who here loves tactical style weapons? I do. But have you seen the price on them! I was looking for some thing that was just a little more than a .22 LR (Walther G22 rifle) but still cheep. After exhausting the .22 WMR and the .22 Hornet (I even looked briefly at the .222) I finally turned to the 5.7x 28mm. Looking at the performance it was surprisingly like the .22 WMR but fit only one rifle (okay, PDW technically) the PS90. Now I looked for a price and nearly fell out of my seat. Between $1,400 and $1,800 for one. Okay, let’s review, it’s a bullpup, simple direct blowback operation, polymer body, a red dot, and it shoots a .22 WMR equivalent (okay not exactly, but bear with me). An AR-15 .50 Beowulf would be cheaper to buy, and it is built to stop trucks. FN is a bit pricy (not as bad as a Blaser but still...) Can someone break it down and “show” me where the cost is? I don’t mind paying if I get what I pay for but I hate getting less than I pay for.

If you enjoyed reading about "FN P90 costs how much!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
longdayjake
March 5, 2009, 12:42 AM
look up the ar57. Its about $700 and it goes on any ar15 lower. The brass ejects out the mag well. Kinda fun looking to me but not really very useful.

nwilliams
March 5, 2009, 01:26 AM
I paid a bit more for mine because I bought it locally. The average price for PS90's seems to be around $1700.00, I paid a little more for mine however since I bought locally. I could have got one cheaper online but I would rather buy from my local shop even if it means paying a little more, I'm all about supporting the local economy.

I bought the USG model that came with the optics installed. If you buy the optics separately it would cost over $600. There is really no price difference between the optics ready version with just the rail, so you get more bang for your buck with the optics ready version.

The ammo isn't terribly expensive considering the quality of it. I bought it in bulk and ended up paying about $19 per box of fifty which comes out to about .38˘ a round. Mags are very expensive so I don't plan on buying a lot of them.

Anyway I really love the look and feel of the PS90 and its a very accurate and fun little gun. Not the best choice for defense but as a fun target rifle it works very well and would make a great varmint rifle.

Here's a pic of mine along with my Five-Seven....
http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb264/nwilliams27/FNs.jpg

gga357
March 5, 2009, 01:48 AM
Does it come in 40SW?

2RCO
March 5, 2009, 01:49 AM
5.7 X 28 only. Rumors exist that they have tinkered with other calibers but no production yet. It was purpose built around the round or vice versa.

gga357
March 5, 2009, 01:58 AM
Bummer. Interesting design.

ComradeBurg
March 5, 2009, 02:04 AM
Well of course it's expensive it's a sniper rifle! Seriously the last gun show I was at I heard a sales lady tell a group of mall ninjas looking at one that the PS90 was a sniper rifle.

But in all seriousness the gun is kind of a niche weapon. It first a hard to get and expensive round as well as it being a sub-gun so it's not good for extreme ranges. Those types of guns usually cost more.

But it's a very interesting gun and if they ever come down in price or I find one for sale at a cheaper price I'd love to get one.

2RCO
March 5, 2009, 02:07 AM
PS90 sniper rifle! That's why you have to filter what you hear at gun shows.

bonedust
March 5, 2009, 11:27 AM
worth every dime...

Girodin
March 5, 2009, 02:25 PM
Can someone break it down and “show” me where the cost is?

Easily, name all the other 5.7 bullpups with fifty round mags. Now see that people are willing to buy them for their going rate of approx $1500. How much it cost them to make it is far from the only factor. You think it cost them twice as much to make the five seven as their other pistols?

so you get more bang for your buck with the optics ready version.

I dsiagree whole heartedly. The optic on the PS90 kind of sucks to be blunt. It washes out easily, has a small field of vision and is a limiting factor in the accuracy of the gun. If I had it to do over again I would buy a railed version. Non of the serious users I have seen with P90s ever have the factory optic. I dont believe that is a coincedence. The factory optic is the low point of the PS90 for me and I wish it had something else. I am going to buy adevice that is supposed to fix the wash out problen that will help a lot but still.

PTK
March 5, 2009, 02:27 PM
I bought mine CHEAP from a good friend who owns a gun store - the guy that ordered it never picked it up, so I got it for a great price.

Between the extra barrel, SBR stamp, mags, ammo, and other accessories, I have over $3k in mine. It's the one rifle I can never sell even if everything else goes bad - I'm keeping it.

jerkface11
March 5, 2009, 02:39 PM
What size groups do they shoot?

PTK
March 5, 2009, 02:41 PM
I've never had problems shooting my PS90 at 100 yards with a hand-sized group.

nwilliams
March 5, 2009, 02:50 PM
I dsiagree whole heartedly. The optic on the PS90 kind of sucks to be blunt. It washes out easily, has a small field of vision and is a limiting factor in the accuracy of the gun.

Why pay the same for less? The optics are easy to replace with the rail and cheaper than buying it separately. If you want a rail then buy the optics version and then buy the rail afterward. You will then have an optical sight that you can resell for upwards of of $700 or you can just put it to the side and just not use it. You could resell the optical sight for just $300 and still make a profit since the rail sells for around and often under $150.

Personally I like the optics for the distance of shooting that I do and haven't had any issues with it whatsoever. I also like the fact that it automatically turns luminescent in low light. I'm glad I went with the optics ready version because it saved me from having to rush out and spend a lot more money on optics just to shoot the thing. With what I spent on the rifle spending a few hundred more on optics was not an intriguing prospect. I stand by my original statement, buy the optical version and if you don't like the optics just sell it off and buy the rail.

It's simple math. The optical unit alone sells for about $700. The gun without optics or with optics sells for around $1800. If you bought the version without optics and decided to buy the unit separately then you bring the cost of the gun up to $2500. If you bought the optics ready version and decided to replace it with the rail then you bring the cost of the gun up to around $1950. If you buy the optical version and decide to sell the optical unit then you've brought down the original price of the gun.

UpInSmoke
March 5, 2009, 03:00 PM
I had a gun dealer tell me they were that high because they would go though 9 layers of kevlar........

PTK
March 5, 2009, 03:01 PM
I had a gun dealer tell me they were that high because they would go though 9 layers of kevlar........

Lots more than that. The SS192LF will go through a IIIa vest, according to Pinnacle Body Armor.

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
March 5, 2009, 03:06 PM
Can someone break it down and “show” me where the cost is?

Yes.

Right Here: ---> "FN" <---

Seriously, component cost is but only one small-moderate factor in the ultimate price of an item. Demand is a far more important component, and only one supplier. It's also an ingenious design with the round-flipper feeding device.

servantofinari
March 5, 2009, 06:10 PM
Any idea what a "used" price might be? Maybe i could get one when the Obama craze dies off and the people i know who have been stocking up get rid of them. I know at one guy who hates his (but try to get him to give it up...)

nwilliams
March 5, 2009, 06:16 PM
Any idea what a "used" price might be?

I would check gunbroker.com that will give you an idea of what people are buying and selling used ones for.

benEzra
March 5, 2009, 07:21 PM
Lots more than that. The SS192LF will go through a IIIa vest, according to Pinnacle Body Armor.
Only SS190 (AP) will penetrate IIIA under NIJ testing conditions, and SS190 is Federally restricted (manufacture for sale to non-LEO civilians is illegal AFAIK). While there are a few boxes in the hands of collectors, it is extremely rare and hyper-expensive.

If SS192 (which the BATFE classes as non-AP, and which they say won't penetrate IIIA) was penetrating Pinnacle vests, then Pinnacle needed to go back to the drawing board because other IIIA vests stop it. But so far I have seen no credible evidence that SS192 actually penetrates any IIIA vests tested using NIJ test protocols, just anecdotes, and people on the Internet shooting old vests using landscape timbers and phone books as backing materials. Plus the Brady Campaign video of 5.7x28mm penetrating NIJ IIA vest and pretending that's something a .357 won't do. SS192 is no longer imported for non-LEO civilian use, and SS196 will not even penetrate NIJ Level II.

To put it another way, even with SS192 ammo, 5.7x28mm won't penetrate any vest rated to stop .357 magnum under NIJ protocols. Ballistics are much, much closer to .22 rimfire magnum than .223 Remington.

Having said that, the Bradyite hysteria about the 5.7x28mm, however unwarranted, probably multiplied sales fivefold.

PTK
March 5, 2009, 08:23 PM
http://www.pinnaclearmor.com/body-armor/ballistic-chart.php

We have adopted two intermediate in-house threat levels (III-A+ & III-B) as there is no NIJ rating for these rounds.

Level III-A+
7.62 x 25 mm Steel case, lead core 1440-1540 ft./sec.

Level III-B
5.7 x 28 mm 31 GR, SS190, 4.8 inch barrel 2050 ft./sec.
5.7 x 28 mm 27 GR, SS192, 4.8 inch barrel 2132 ft./sec.

So, either they're incorrect, or the NIJ hasn't fully tested the 5.7x28 (which I don't recall them doing)

servantofinari
March 5, 2009, 08:58 PM
The 5.7's no better than the .22 WMR. it just gets hype from the media as a cop killer.

TehK1w1
March 5, 2009, 09:19 PM
If they made the PS90 in 7.62 Tokarev, I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

j-easy
March 5, 2009, 11:30 PM
i would to love have one too, didnt even know it existed until i played call of duty 4

benEzra
March 6, 2009, 12:01 AM
http://www.atf.gov/firearms/firearmstech/fabriquen.htm

I suspect that if the FiveSeven would penetrate typical IIIA vests with SS192, then BATFE would have said so. I do not see them understating the capabilities of a round in order to regulate it less heavily.

It appears to me that Pinnacle is not saying 5.7x28mm will penetrate current NIJ IIIA rated vests; they merely point out that the existing standards do not test against it as part of the certification process. From testing by other manufacturers and agencies, it does appear that most extant IIIA vests will indeed stop SS192, so if Pinnacle's suggestion were adopted, many existing vests could undoubtedly be certified as IIIB without modification.

Hostile Amish
March 6, 2009, 12:26 AM
Around 1700-2000 dollars. For a fully-automatic version, expect to pay much higher than that.

It would be interesting to see a PS90 in 9mm... I'm keeping my fingers crossed for that.

benEzra
March 6, 2009, 12:56 AM
Around 1700-2000 dollars. For a fully-automatic version, expect to pay much higher than that.
Since P90 production began in 1993, the number of civilian-transferable pre-1986's is (unfortunately) zero. Full auto P90's may be available in other countries, but not here. The only way for you or me to get our hands on one would be to be an SOT distributing to the military or law enforcement agencies, as I understand it.

jerkface11
March 6, 2009, 02:00 AM
If they made the PS90 in 7.62 Tokarev, I'd buy one in a heartbeat.
Me too. I'd also buy the FN57 in that chambering.

Kind of Blued
March 6, 2009, 04:23 AM
I've never played around with a PS90 (16") or a P90 (SBR), but I do happen to have an opinion on it. Imagine that! ;)

It seems like a fine rifle, and the cartridge is like a 9mm; a lightweight "set-to-stun" version of something else, but like the 9mm, NOBODY is willing to be "stunned" by one. Weird!!

My main (only) observation is that no gun loses more utility by being relegated to semi-auto-only than the FN P90. In full or burst-fire, it is the PERFECT weapon for countless situations. It's genius. I just wish we were allowed to value and protect our lives with the same conviction that this guy (http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=93980&stc=1&d=1236327761) protects his boss.

woodybrighton
March 6, 2009, 06:17 AM
it was designed to replace smgs for remfs tank crew and the like and give them an effect against body armour wearing enemies. hence the 5.7mm round
or you could go the m4 cut down sa80k route.

more use than an ancient SMG and less likely to catch on stuff while your working

PTK
March 6, 2009, 06:22 AM
Kind of Blued

...I never had you shoot my PS90? WE MUST REMEDY THAT!!!!

THE MACHINIST
March 6, 2009, 06:28 AM
they sell an upper for this ar-57 i think its called last time i checked it was 799.00.....

servantofinari
March 6, 2009, 07:58 PM
I just wish we were allowed to value and protect our lives with the same conviction that this guy protects his boss. MP5SD is over rated. H&K ticks me off because they make some good guns and then run hype so high they get hit by low flying birds. Look at the MP7, you could kill someone with it but it shoots bloody needles. the H&K53 is nice though.

Rmac58
March 7, 2009, 09:43 AM
It's on my wish list, drop dead gorgeous!

Kind of Blued
March 7, 2009, 05:49 PM
Ok, so PTK let me shoot his and I must have one!

The cartridge is fine, but with the gun being so insanely compact, what I'd REALLY like is a P90 in 9mm. Even with a can on it, it would still be exteremely maneuverable.

EdLaver
March 7, 2009, 09:29 PM
Got to shoot one with an Eotech on it a few weeks ago, REALLY liked it. Here I thought I was finished buying. I have been debating on trading my Beretta Storm 9mm for one.

hangmans joke
March 17, 2009, 04:20 AM
i own a ps90 , you folks do know the bullet is bigger diameter .224 then an a a ar15 223 dont you ???

folks need to stop talking bout what they have have no idea about . the 5.7 is a great round.

far more then just a 22 magnum. stop drinking the kool -aid

nwilliams
March 17, 2009, 04:38 AM
delete

If you enjoyed reading about "FN P90 costs how much!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!