So I bought an SKS.

PDA

AllAmerican
March 4, 2009, 11:28 PM
From my local... Very nice condition. Chinese 56 made in 66 which turns out is my birth year.

Ive put a few rounds through it and have more on the way. It cleaned up quite nicely if I do say so myself.

The wife took the pics.

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e114/winerymusic/Gun%20Pr0n/109.jpg

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e114/winerymusic/Gun%20Pr0n/116.jpg

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e114/winerymusic/Gun%20Pr0n/121.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "So I bought an SKS." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
19-3Ben
March 4, 2009, 11:32 PM
Whoa. You've got a wife who actually knows how to photograph a gun?:what:
;)

In all seriousness, that's a pretty nice rifle you got there. Threat it well and I'm sure it'll treat you well too. Then again, I'm sure it'll treat you well even if you treat it like crap. Nice thing about an SKS.

AllAmerican
March 4, 2009, 11:33 PM
Thank you sir... It is a nice weapon. On another note, my wifes permit arrived today.

Yes, she is awesome.

helz_mcfugly
March 4, 2009, 11:42 PM
cool deal. you got a clean one. I remember when (1989ish) the SKS's where like the Mosin nagants are now. $120 and loads of them at every gun & pawn shop in town. I think Ive gone through about 10 of them. still have 2. to bad ammo isnt as cheap as it use tobe as well. I use to shoot mine like it was a 22lr

jim in Anchorage
March 5, 2009, 01:40 AM
"my wifes permit arrived today." How do you get a "wifes" permit? is that a Utah thing?:)

BHP FAN
March 5, 2009, 01:42 AM
pretty darn coolio.

Davek1977
March 5, 2009, 03:57 AM
cool deal. you got a clean one. I remember when (1989ish) the SKS's where like the Mosin nagants are now. $120 and loads of them at every gun & pawn shop in town. I think Ive gone through about 10 of them. still have 2. to bad ammo isnt as cheap as it use tobe as well. I use to shoot mine like it was a 22lr

Ain tthat the truth. I bought a brand new, unissued Chinese SKS back in about 1992, for $110, out the door. Now, I wish I'd bought a case or two. I was momentarily tempted to trade mine a week or two ago, but decided acquiring a new p-11 kel-tec wasn't important enough to trade my SKS for. I already have a carry piece, but as of now, the SKS is my only semi-auto, centerfire rifle.

AllAmerican
March 5, 2009, 07:26 AM
Both the wife and I carry the Kel Tec P11. What I meant above was that her CWP arrived yesterday in the mail.

I like the SKS alot.

Duke of Doubt
March 5, 2009, 02:28 PM
I'll never get used to that Chinese wood. Give me a Romanian or a Yugoslavian SKS any time.

Bill2e
March 5, 2009, 04:19 PM
WOW, Looks like you got a nice one. Congrats. they look like intriging guns to me and I would probably have one if I could find one in that condition for a reasonable price. Congrats again.

doc540
March 5, 2009, 10:22 PM
Congrats.

Now smoke it up!

helz_mcfugly
March 5, 2009, 10:46 PM
I have a Norinco and a Chinese and they both are aout the same. I have noticed that when i get parts for them thatthe parts for the norinc dont need to be altered as much as the chinese.

280shooter
March 5, 2009, 11:23 PM
I bought one of the Norinco way back when,,I have a folding plasisc stock on,and the big mag, works great,I should post some pics. i wont take one of them SKSs with the gernade lunchers. i think they stupid. when was the last time anyone used one, on there sks,?

you have a nice find,I like to have one like it,
Can I ask what you gave for it. IM hitting a gun show this week end,maybe some one will have some sks's,,

FlyinBryan
March 5, 2009, 11:54 PM
i thought a norinco WAS a chinese sks.

my brother has a norinco and ive always referred to it as a chinese sks.

there i go thinking again

scottishclaymore
March 6, 2009, 12:26 AM
A Norinco is a far better gun than a Yugo IMO.

Is who is speaking trash about my Yugo? :D

I guess we are all entitled to our opinion. I'm rather fond of my Yugo, personally. I will admit it does have more paraphernalia than it needs on the front, though firing dummy grenades is a lot of fun.

The SKS is a weapon much-maligned by gun snobs, but it is an excellent weapon that will probably outlast you. Have fun with it!

Ohio Gun Guy
March 6, 2009, 12:30 AM
I may have come in late or missed some sarcasm......but......

I thought Norinco SKS's were Chinese also. Am I missing something or is it just late? :scrutiny:

Oh yeah, NICE SKS!

FlyinBryan
March 6, 2009, 12:33 AM
The SKS is a weapon much-maligned by gun snobs, but it is an excellent weapon that will probably outlast you. Have fun with it!

i agree.

i think they are HIGHLY UNDER-RATED.

the norinco paratrooper my brother has is fast handling and agile.

its the real short one and it came out of the box new with the ak magazine capability.

not real accurate but im pretty sure it will hit a 8" circle at 100yds no problem.

it dont get much range time because we shoot ar's pretty slow on the 100 for accuracy and its just not at home there.

great for taking out to the country and just having fun shooting this and that.

as a longtime ar shooter i dont have that much experience to talk, but to be honest, i prefer the sks to the ak, which i think really says something. imo

FlyinBryan
March 6, 2009, 12:36 AM
I may have come in late or missed some sarcasm......but......

I thought Norinco SKS's were Chinese also. Am I missing something or is it just late?

Oh yeah, NICE SKS!

i was talking to my bud helz up there. we shoot together alot and he said he has a norinco and a chinese.

i think what he has is a norinco and a russian, cuz i think i have seen them.

you will have to excuse him, hes lisdexic.

Ignition Override
March 6, 2009, 02:08 AM
King Ghidora:

You have evaluated the SKS as well as many people at SKSboards, and you produce some of the best descriptions.

What concerns me a little is that I can't get my Norinco firing pin to rattle, and wonder about the chance of a slam fire. I read about the tragedy in Sacramento. When I bought this gun last spring, the owner told me that it had never been fired and it was in mint condition, with one tiny cut in the wood.

Bought it last March and it only uses Wolf or Monarch, as does the Mini 30. The other rifles are other calibers. Should I take the bolt to a gun smith and have him check the pin? It took me months to figure out how to get the receiver cover off, (and the gas tube at the same time), and so don't want to try anything which requires any real skill. I only began learning about guns in the fall of '07 and am a slow learner, seldom shooting with anybody.
Found out how to get the MN's bolt pieces back together by comparing to the other 44.

Duke of Doubt
March 6, 2009, 03:33 AM
The Yugo grenade launcher is highly useful, if for nothing else, than for ticking off anti-gunners and impressing chicks. Also, for launching golf balls. Paid $175 for mine last November.

Romanian wood is quite nice, though it is common to find the lacquer worn off in places. Paid $139 for mine in 2000.

I had a Chinese SKS for years. Practically pristine. Wouldn't trade either my Romanian or my Yugoslavian for a dozen of them.

I also wouldn't install a bayonet on a Chinese SKS if I were you. Review Section 922.

Bad Hammer
March 6, 2009, 06:48 AM
I had a Chinese SKS for years. Practically pristine. Wouldn't trade either my Romanian or my Yugoslavian for a dozen of them.

I'm the same way about my Chinese SKS.
I wouldn't trade it for a dozen Romanian AND a dozen Yugoslavian.
Oh yeah....And a dozen Albanian AND a dozen Russian.
.......AND a bazillion rounds of gold plated 7.62x39.:evil:

To each his own, I suppose.:scrutiny:

Mr. Bojangles
March 6, 2009, 07:17 AM
It is sooo beeyooteefull

scottishclaymore
March 6, 2009, 09:02 AM
What concerns me a little is that I can't get my Norinco firing pin to rattle

Ignition Override,

There are actually a couple of different solutions for this. One reason the firing pin may not be rattling is that it is full of grease or cosmoline. Easiest way to clean that (at least it worked for me) was to soak the entire block in a bowl of mineral spirits for about a day. This thoroughly dissolved anything inside the block and now it rattles like it's supposed to. The other way is to simply disassemble the firing pin block, clean it out, and put it back together. This sounds much harder than it actually is.

Go out to Youtube and search for "field strip SKS" and "firing pin disassemble SKS" and you should find videos that show you how to very easily take down and reassemble your rifle. The SKS is one of the easiest firearms to field strip.

Matrix187
March 6, 2009, 10:33 AM
I have a chinese SKS Type 56 as well. Mine was made in 1978. The stock is a bit beat up, but all of the metal parts of the gun are in pristine condition like yours (including the crown, bore, and barrel), and it looks brand new besides the wood having some dings. I slapped on a tech peep sight, buffer tech buffer, John Masen rubber recoil pad, and a murray firing pin. Next up is a kivaari trigger job. It'll be the perfect sks :) I'm never adding a new stock or magazine.

If you enjoyed reading about "So I bought an SKS." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!