38s.&w.spc.ctg.

PDA

reynolds
March 5, 2009, 11:01 AM
We were cleaning out some filing cabinets that belonged to my father-in-law and found a six shot Smith & Wesson 38 that was loaded with lead bullets. The gun was owned by my wife's grandfather who passed away over fifty years ago. The serial number on the handle bottom is C 26###. I saw a similar thread concerning a 38 but it seem to be a later model. The gun is in beautiful shape after I gave it a cleaning.

The gun has not been fired in more then 50 years.

1. Is it Safe to fire the bullets that were with the gun? Lead and copper coated lead bullets(guess).

2. Any idea on the year the gun was made?

3. Any idea of the value of the gun? I do not plan to sell but need to establish a price for family. The gun will be a family keepsake.

Thanks for any information.

If you enjoyed reading about "38s.&w.spc.ctg." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Claude Clay
March 5, 2009, 11:10 AM
if it has a swing out cylinder it is likely a M&P hand ejector model of 1902 made in 1902 or 03. value in vg around $500 or todays price crazy could be different
barrel length? markings? pictures are better than words.....
clean the bullets [fine steel-wool] and the gun , probably safe to fire. new 38S&W is around $30/box of 50. have a gun smith examine it before you fire it.

reynolds
March 5, 2009, 12:38 PM
http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh229/Clemson1977/IMG_1045.jpg

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh229/Clemson1977/IMG_1047.jpg

rcmodel
March 5, 2009, 02:27 PM
.38 S&W Special CTG is the caliber.
(CTG = Cartridge)

In other words, it's a .38 Special.

Your C prefix serial# makes it a M&P Model made between 1948 - 1951.
Probably 1949 would be pretty close.

I would estimate the value, in the condition it appears to be in, to be around $250 - $300 tops.

If the old ammo is very old, it could have corrosive primers.
Probably if it dates to the gun it isn't though.

rc

inheritor
March 9, 2009, 06:47 PM
i have a simmilar problem with a 38 that i got when my father passed last year it is a titan tiger 38 with a greek figure on one side and the name arminius under it.The history of it is very fuzzy i only know what it has been through with my dad.He had it the whole timei was growing up.Im now 35 yrs old so i know its at least 35.I would like to know its real age.If anyone could help me i would be very thankfull.I wish you all the best in your quest for info on your 38 good luck

Ron James
March 9, 2009, 10:00 PM
:) The Greek figure is not Greek. It is Arminius himself. A German warrior chief who ambushed and destroyed an entire Roman Legion. The Arminius name was used by Hermann Weihrauch ( after 1945 ) in what was then West Germany, The Titan was used by the importer, whose name escapes me at the moment. The German Model number is HW-38. Sorry, I have no information on the manufacturing date., proabably in the 70's to the 90's

If you enjoyed reading about "38s.&w.spc.ctg." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!