Jennings J-22

PDA

bsctov
March 5, 2009, 04:10 PM
Hey guys, I'm new here, just found this forum on Google and was reading some of the other threads about the J-22.

I've never shot any firearms before, but I have been studying them and fascinated by them ever since I was a kid, So generally speaking I know my way around all modern revolvers and semi-autos with regards to their operation and whatnot.

I was planning on going to the range with this little J-22 and shooting that as my first gun. It belongs to my father who last shot it in 1982! He bought it from a random guy, so I have no idea about its history before my father got it. I know that my dad has put only 32 rounds through it.

I know that it would be impossible to make any of these assumptions I'm going to ask you to make without inspecting the weapon and knowing its history but its OK to give me your best guess.

Would it be "Safe" to shoot this thing? It was last fired in 1982 and has not been cleaned since. I opened the action and found it was a little dirty, but the slide pulls back smoothly and the trigger and firing pin still work. Also, How would I go about cleaning it off? I heard that you should not disassemble it to oil it. How would I go about doing this?

Also, I want to rent another pistol to fire, What one do you recommend?

P.S - I know its a low quality pistol and ask that you please refrain from taking cheap shots at it...(ex. Use it as a paperweight, shoot it a couple times to field strip..) Lol.

If you enjoyed reading about "Jennings J-22" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
PT1911
March 5, 2009, 04:16 PM
well.. personally I break down all my guns to a reasonable point to clean and oil them. if you feel comfortable doing so, I would recommend it, but dont do more than you are comfortable with or you will end up with a pile of parts and a dumb look on your face..inspect the gun as you are cleaning it,as long as there is no obvious pitting, rusting, or breakdown slide, frame, or in the fireing mechanism then there should be no problem firing it. well kept guns, regardless of quallity, do not have a specific shelflife. :neener:

alll that said, it is a sub-par gun and I cannot be sure of anything without actually looking at the gun. shoot at your own risk:D

bsctov
March 5, 2009, 04:18 PM
What's the absolute worst thing that could possibly happen?

jr45
March 5, 2009, 04:19 PM
I own one and actually enjoy firing it. It should be safe to fire...just make sure there is nothing blocking the barrel, no cracks on the slide or frame, etc. I never heard anything against taking it apart to clean and lube, I do it to mine.

jr45
March 5, 2009, 04:22 PM
Is that in reference to firing it? Too many variables to say but I would assume worst case is the gun breaks (i.e. frame cracks, slide breaks...). I do not see too much risk of bodily injury.

PT1911
March 5, 2009, 04:25 PM
absolute worst thing, with any gun is a major failure leading to your gun going to pieces(pieces=danger) in your hand. It is only a 22, but still working with a good bit of energy. that added with the phrase you just said "whats the absolute worst thing that could possibly happen" I would be knocking on some wood and throwing salt over my shoulder prior to pulling the trigger...:D

bsctov
March 5, 2009, 04:29 PM
Hahaha, Yeah. I just asked a buddy of mine the same question and he said

"Worst possible thing? A pretty lady walks into the range and you get distracted and drop the J-22 with a round in the chamber and it goes off and ricochets off a support beam and hits you square in the eye."

PT1911
March 5, 2009, 04:31 PM
there is always that...lol

PT1911
March 5, 2009, 04:34 PM
there is alway that, :uhoh:

richyoung
March 5, 2009, 06:13 PM

Actually happened to me:

The striker keeper on a J-22 is also the take-down mechanism - you push in on it, and slightly up, and the whole gun comes apart. I was firing mine, and the striker keeper, which normally slides back and forth in a tunnel in the slidepart-way, slid in and STUCK. When the slide ran back forward to chamber another round, the slide jumped off of the receiver, and the striker spring pushed the striker right back along the sighting plane, striking my shooting glasses on the lens of my right (dominant) eye. Had I not been wearing them, I would be dead or blind in that eye. Do yourself a favor and pony up $200 or so for a Ruger or S&W .22 if you want to shoot - at todays ammo and health care costs, you are money ahead. Head, the glasses cost more than what I got back out of the Jennings trade in on a REAL gun.

bsctov
March 5, 2009, 07:05 PM
Thanks for the advice, I will be wearing eye protection.

Almond27
March 5, 2009, 07:23 PM
"Shoot it a couple of times to field strip" man you had me rolling with that one.

CWL
March 5, 2009, 08:31 PM
So generally speaking I know my way around all modern revolvers and semi-autos with regards to their operation and whatnot.

Welcome to THR bsctov!
Seems funny to me your claim when you've never fired a handgun before and don't even know how to disassemble or clean a pistol.
I've been shooting handguns for ~25 years and I won't make that claim.

Take a look at these links, Scroll down the first to download the J-22 manual and the second is a photo step-by-step on how to disassemble a Raven (pretty much the same pistol)

I would suggest that you disassemble it first and look for hairline cracks before you oil and shoot it.

http://bryco-jennings-jimenezarms.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2414

http://bryco-jennings-jimenezarms.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=540&sid=63b438ba20008795384dfe33965e1c03

bsctov
March 5, 2009, 09:43 PM
Yeah, I mean, I don't thoroughly know alot about them like in depth, But what I meant to say was I know how Semi-Automatics and Revolvers work. Basically, I worded that completely wrong.

Bw2k2000
March 5, 2009, 10:09 PM
I bought a J-22 a few months ago just for something to play with. Took it to the range about a week later and supprisingly it shot vary well. I fired 100 or so CCI Stingers through it as well as some federal bulk walmart box and some Remington Sub Sonics to see how it would preform. I Got the best results out of the stingers but all the rounds seemed to tumble after about 3 yards or so but I enjoyed shooting it.

jcwit
March 5, 2009, 10:28 PM
If you go by the owners manual it says to only use std. velocity ammo.

Stingers are defintly NOT std. vel.

mr.trooper
March 5, 2009, 10:29 PM
I had one. They are cheap chinsey guns.

The reason they say not to disassemble it is because its a PITA and if your not careful, parts and springs will shoot out and ricochet around the room. Seriously.

If your brave enough to attempt it, a bottle of metal polish, a buffing wheel, and proper lubrication can make them reasonable reliable.

nwilliams
March 5, 2009, 10:41 PM
Hahaha, Yeah. I just asked a buddy of mine the same question and he said
"Worst possible thing? A pretty lady walks into the range and you get distracted and drop the J-22 with a round in the chamber and it goes off and ricochets off a support beam and hits you square in the eye."
Wow, that's quite a scenario! Personally I'd just be more worried about a pretty lady on the range seeing me shooting a J-22, but that's just me. Sorry that was kind of a cheap shot I apologize.

As for your question I would think that shooting it would be safe. As long as the gun isn't damaged and appears to be in working order it should be fine to shoot it.

And as for what pistol to rent, it all depends on what fits you and what feels good. I would rent a couple if I were you and see which one feels the most comfortable. Starting with a 9mm and working up is not a bad way to go about it. If you're new to pistols then don't go to extremes, just get something that fits your budget and fits your needs.

Good luck and welcome to THR!

jcwit
March 5, 2009, 10:49 PM
OK the OP politely asked to refrain from cheap shots!

Grumulkin
March 6, 2009, 06:41 AM
I've had a couple of Jennings J-22 pistols. They shoot surprisingly well; I shot all sorts of stuff in mine including Stingers with no problems. Also they are extremely simple to break down and put back together again.

The reason I got rid of mine is that they are not safe to carry with a loaded round in the chamber because if the safety malfunctions and/or the sear becomes too worn, with the firing pin spring being under tension you could shoot yourself or someone else.

bsctov
March 6, 2009, 08:34 AM
The only thing that worries me is someone said the pistol will disassemble itself during shooting and the firing pin goes flying straight into your eye...Guess ill be shooting from the hip :uhoh:

jcwit
March 6, 2009, 11:15 AM
Whether you did or did not have problems shooting Stingers is of no consequence. Mfg. says to shoot std. ammo only. People shoot the wrong type, cal. or whatever in guns intentionally or by mistake all the time. Some get hurt some don't, some even get killed for their mistake or bad judgement.

Mayhap by using the higher power .22's is one reason for the failures of said pistol.

bsctov
March 6, 2009, 03:35 PM
After inspecting the mechanism of the pistol, I'm pretty sure the reason for the failures is the way in which the pistol is taken apart for cleaning.

The little circular part on the back of the gun where the firing pin become visible when the weapon is cocked has to be pushed in in order to release the slide. The weapon, In the process of cycling in the next round after firing, may catch the ring and pull it forward, resulting in the slide popping off and springs going everywhere.

My estimated solution to this problem (Which another poster has already mentioned) is to lubricate the take-down ring on the back so the slide "slides" smoothly over it as opposed to catching it. It's a design flaw unfortunately and is not classified as a "Kaboom" because its not shell rupture causing the gun to "Explode".

Thanks for the help guys :)

Duke of Doubt
March 6, 2009, 03:45 PM
nwilliams: "Personally I'd just be more worried about a pretty lady on the range seeing me shooting a J-22, but that's just me."

I was going to make a comment about a client seeing me with it, but the OP did ask, in a polite and humorous way, for us not to take cheap shots at his father's pistol.

Seriously though, if you want to get into shooting, good for you! But save up for a used S&W Model 10 (about $200) and a box of .38 Special, or if you want to start on an even lower budget and with .22lr, a used H&R or NEF .22 revolver (about $100). Make guns fun, not a frightening chore.

makarovnik
March 6, 2009, 09:13 PM
They rock. Use stingers or mini-mags. It likes them. I like it better than the HP-22.

jcwit
March 6, 2009, 09:58 PM
Yup and ones born every minute.

speedsix
March 6, 2009, 10:36 PM
I had one. It started out okay but slowly started to jam more often. I actually shot it quite a bit. The sear started to wear and it would shoot 2 or 3 shots off at the same time. Kind of fun but very dangerous and illegal in fact.

It eventually broke and I took it apart to fix it. I lost interest and threw the parts away.

I only paid $50 for it new and I put thousands of .22lr through it.

W.E.G.
March 6, 2009, 11:04 PM
I bought a used one for $49 at a gun show.

It would only fire one or two shots, and then it would jam.

I tried to fix it, but only made things worse.

After I'd really ruined it, I sold it to the DC police department for $100 at a gun "buy-back."

If you enjoyed reading about "Jennings J-22" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!