Colt 1927? (PICS)

PDA

andrewdl007
March 5, 2009, 07:35 PM
So, I was wasting some time at a store today and ended up with a new gun. I donít know much about it and I did a little research, but I am still a little confused. It seems to be a Colt manufactured 1911A1 shipped to Argentina in 1927. That was about all I could find about it. Does anyone know more about this? The Serial number is stamped right in front of the rear sight and it is a 5XXX number. I have always wanted an old 1911 type gun and this was relatively inexpensive compared to what I have found in the area. It has matching numbers and looks original with original finish. I paid $840 for it out the door, was this too much? Please feel free to tell me what a bad decision I made. Also are the vertical grooved grips original or aftermarket grips? Thanks so much.

If you enjoyed reading about "Colt 1927? (PICS)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
3pairs12
March 5, 2009, 07:41 PM
I think it seems like a good deal. Looks pretty sweet for its age to me. Nice find.

nwilliams
March 5, 2009, 07:47 PM
I'd love to get my hands on one of those. Congrats!

Mad Magyar
March 5, 2009, 07:50 PM
I paid $840 for it out the door, was this too much? Please feel free to tell me what a bad decision I made.
In today's economy and buying frenzy, I feel you did okay, not great, but okay. These have more of a collector value due to limited #'s then the Sistema's, which I have had 3.
Hope you shoot it....:)

Oro
March 5, 2009, 09:58 PM
I am not sure if that is a Colt shipped to Argentina, or it's a Colt clone made in Argentina.

Now that isn't all bad if it is. It is a genuine Colt licensed product made on their machinery by local labor trained by them, not a total knock-off like a Llama, etc. It is reported the steel is very good and the quality about equal to a colt of the time. The usually rougher condition is typically not because of poor machining or quality, just more use the military guns received over the decades.

if you google or search this site for the word "Sistema" you will find more information and valuation comparisons. Until recently, they were very cheap but have been going up rapidly. I wish I had bought one years ago, and if I could find an affordable one now I would snap it up - so I believe it is well worth owning.

andrewdl007
March 5, 2009, 10:31 PM
Do the Sistema pistols have the Colt Mfg. Patent markings on the left side of the slide?

Baba Louie
March 5, 2009, 10:53 PM
Do the Sistema pistols have the Colt Mfg. Patent markings on the left side of the slide?The two Sistemas I own do not. They have D.G.F.M.-(F.M.A.P.) roll marked on the left side of the slide.

Sweet find. Any import markings?

Here's a link for a little background info
http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=68064

(edited to add a question)... Serial number on frame anywhere? Or just the slide? Both of the Sistemas have matching numbers on frame, slide (twice, once atop and once on right side) and barrel.

2RCO
March 5, 2009, 11:17 PM
This old girl was Made by Colt. for Argentina.

The Sistemas were made on Colt tooling in Argentina.

$840 is an OK price for what the pictures show.

andrewdl007
March 10, 2009, 07:48 PM
I shot the 1927 this weekend and it was fantastic with no failure to feed. I only wish .45 ACP ammo was not so expensive.

czhen
March 10, 2009, 08:14 PM
If I don't recall wrong, first batch were made at Colt factory, them manufactured in Argentina with original tooling. In other words, Colt's cousins not clone (100% compatible w/1911 family)

Czhen
Fl

Jon Coppenbarger
March 10, 2009, 08:45 PM
Made by colt in the good old USA! Nice colt and not easy to find for a good price. I think you did well.

Jim K
March 10, 2009, 09:13 PM
That Colt was U.S. made.

The frame serial number is under the mainspring housing. Originally, it matched the slide serial number, but the parts were almost always separated in Argentine service.

It is my understanding that the Argentine services used a pistol rack that held the pistol upright, hence the desire to have the number on the top of the slide; they didn't care much about the frame number.

When those guns were brought back, BATFE required that they have a visible frame serial number, so the importer numbered the frame to match the slide, either not knowing or ignoring the true frame serial number.

The grips are either Argentine-made replacements or Ballester-Molina grips.

Jim

CapnMac
March 10, 2009, 09:17 PM
It has matching numbers and looks original with original finish. I paid $840 for it out the door, was this too much?
Sounds a good price in today's market. Really, though, it makes me very happy for what I paid for mine seven years ago <g>.

If you enjoyed reading about "Colt 1927? (PICS)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!