strange primer question? making them inert

PDA

kumma
October 5, 2003, 10:43 PM
ok,

heres a strange question for you guys. i want to make some primers safe, clean out the charge with out shooting them. im making a new grill for my blazer, the gmc logo will be made out of 45 colt cases but i dont want the firing pin dimple. like the motorcylce aftermarket parts using 44 mag cases.

ill be reloading later this year so i have most of the equiptment just havent used it yet.

what will make them inert, soaking in water? any ideas?

craig

If you enjoyed reading about "strange primer question? making them inert" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Black Snowman
October 5, 2003, 10:49 PM
I remember a thread on TFL about this WAY back. It's a lot easier said than done. Can't remember what was most effective but it was soak them then spray them out after the compound had loosened. If let dry again they were almost always good.

I know one person who didn't spray them after soaking tried everything from soap and water, brake cleaner, WD-40, Lysol and motor oil and after they dried they all still fired.

Standing Wolf
October 5, 2003, 11:04 PM
I believe I'd soak them in oil a few days, then remove the anvils while they're still wet, then rinse them in mineral spirits. Actually, now that I stop to think about it, I doubt I'd do any such thing: primers are persistent little buggers, and it's hard to grow replacement fingers at my age.

SDC
October 5, 2003, 11:32 PM
WD-40 will kill primers dead, but they can still be "reactivated" if you heat them up to the point where they cook off, or let them dry out again.

P95Carry
October 5, 2003, 11:37 PM
This is a thought .. NOT a suggestion!!

I used to load a lot of 9mm with Berdan primers ...... and you can get these in small and large size ... well, Old Western Scrounger I think may still do them. These of course have no anvil - that is in the primer pocket. Just possible that if these were left in water to fully soak .. and then the compound carefully removed .. under water ...... you should have an empty cup and no dimple!

Grump
October 6, 2003, 05:26 PM
Order some empty primer cups from Winchester.

I did for a friend's museum display. Just can't find the buggers or I'd mail you two dozen.

kumma
October 6, 2003, 06:05 PM
thanks grump

ill check on the winchester ones.

i really cant afford to lose any fingers so i dont want to be pickin anything out of the things. :eek:

craig

Mike Irwin
October 6, 2003, 07:06 PM
Or you can take an already fired primer and gently tap the firing pin dimple out with a punch, backing it on an anvil or some other firm surface.

Jim Watson
October 6, 2003, 08:05 PM
Hey, I've got a gun that will do that all by itself.
Springfield Ultra Compact 9mm.
Or it would, until I converted the ILS to standard ignition with steel firing pin, Wolff firing pin and main springs, and GI mainspring cap cut to length.

If you enjoyed reading about "strange primer question? making them inert" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!