Trigger Break-in Required?

PDA

aHFo3
March 6, 2009, 03:33 AM
I just bought my first new S&W revolver. I got the Bud's special 360 38 Special.

Are all brand new triggers like this:

Gritty take-up that feels like it "catches" sometimes and won't move with standard pressure

catches and sometimes locks halfway back from reset

I haven't fired it yet, but I'm at about 750 dry fires (I helped Jack Bauer on 24)

Will it get better, or should I call S&W?

If you enjoyed reading about "Trigger Break-in Required?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
RON in PA
March 6, 2009, 05:44 AM
Triggers do improve with shooting and dry firing, but yours seems a bit much based on your description.

Trekbike
March 6, 2009, 07:47 AM
By your discription it does sound rougher than normal.

Not sure but this sounds like what happens when you "stage" the trigger on a revolver. If you slowly pull the trigger back you can get to the point in which the trigger almost feels like it goes from a DA, stops, and then goes to a SA action pull. It sort of gets to a "idle" point. Continue to pull it back a little more and then the hammer drops. If you pull the trigger more quickly, you won't feel this.

Is this what is happening or does it truly lock and it won't pull anymore? If it does truly lock, something is wrong with the gun.

Not sure if this is what you are feeling or not.

If you know a friend that is familiar with revolvers let them test the gun.

David

MrBorland
March 6, 2009, 08:03 AM
Gritty take-up that feels like it "catches" sometimes and won't move with standard pressure

Sounds like you're short-stroking the trigger by not releasing it fully before pulling again. This is easy enough to diagnose: Dry fire once in DA, then slowly release the trigger 'til you hear a "click". At this point, you'd likely find you can't pull the trigger back. Then release the trigger fully and pull again. Voilá.

Revolvers have a longer reset than you may be used to, so concentrate on releasing the trigger fully while dry firing.

Master Blaster
March 6, 2009, 12:17 PM
Did you oil the gun?

The last new smith I bought had no oil in it it was bone dry.

Put a drop of good gun oil into the window in the frame where the hand protrudes to rotate the cylinder, and a drop on the cylinder locking bolt. use a Qtip to spread oil on the ratchet, and the end of the ejector rod.

That may improve your trigger pull considerably.

Remember on a DA revolver you must return the trigger to the fully forward position each time before you pull it again.

Old Fuff
March 6, 2009, 12:59 PM
Master Blaster is right. There may be abrasives and/or metal chips left inside the frame, and it may also be bone dry. This is not what it should be, but it's the way things are done today.

Start by cocking the hammer and putting a FEW drops of oil down the hammer face. Then see if there is any improvement. If not I'd return it to Smith & Wesson (call the company's Customer Service Department and they'll arrange for shipping on their dime) and have them fix whatever is wrong.

aHFo3
March 6, 2009, 01:50 PM
I'll try the oil.

I'm not short stroking the trigger. I've done that before and know what it feels like.

I understand staging on the DA trigger. However, the catch doesn't occur on the pull, but after the hammer falls and the trigger is resetting to it's forward position. The position of the trigger when the catch occurs upon reset is the approximate halfway point.

I'll let you know how the oil works.

Thanks everyone!

aHFo3
March 6, 2009, 06:13 PM
The oil seemed to help, but it is still a touch gritty on initial take-up. It feels much smoother, though.
Thanks.

Old Fuff
March 6, 2009, 06:31 PM
I think the gritty feeling is caused by abrasive dust and possibly metal shavings that are left over from the manufacturing process. The revolver needs to have the lockwork removed and flushed out.

Who should do this - you, a gunsmith, or the factory is something you will have to decide, but you can see what's involved by going to this link:

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=397027

If you enjoyed reading about "Trigger Break-in Required?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!