Old Guys????

PDA

Dennie Suman
January 16, 2003, 08:11 PM
I was reading a gun rag this evening, not unusual, and noticed that the author said that he grew up in the '50s. Well, so did I.
What bothers me is that it seems that nearly all the writers in gun mags anymore are in their 40s, 50s, or older.
Are there any youngsters writing about our sport, and our love of guns anymore, or is it over when we "old " guys are gone?
Makes me wonder. Where are the next Keiths, Skeltens,O'Connors,Aagards,Boddingtons, etc.????

If you enjoyed reading about "Old Guys????" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
blades67
January 16, 2003, 08:18 PM
You old guys have all the paying gunrag jobs.:neener:

Joe Gunns
January 16, 2003, 08:27 PM
Serious problem!
It is one reason why hunting is down, us old farts don't get out as much in the cold and drizzle.

When I first joined WAC (Arms Collectors) 30?! (crap!) years ago a lot of the guys were my age to middle age. Now, even with the huge growth in membership, seems like most of the guys are middle age to old guys.

Got interested in SASS, most of the people in that are middle aged to old guys.

Look at the people running for BOD of NRA, a lot of those folks are REALLY old guys - one candidate just died, Joe Foss - he was 87!

Save the shooting sports: Find a kid and buy her a gun!

Traveler
January 16, 2003, 08:34 PM
Well, all the guys I grew up reading are dead (or dang near). Skeeter Skelton, Peter Capstick, Bill Jordan, Charles Askins, Jack Lott, Ken Waters, John Wooters, Don Zutz, Robert Ruark, John Taylor, Geoff Boothroyd, Frank De Haas, Ludwig Olsen and a lot more. Back then the guys we're seeing now had trouble getting in print. I just wish some of them had inherited some style along with the job.

ACP230
January 16, 2003, 08:50 PM
My oldest son, 20, has sold a few hunting pieces.
My youngest, 10, is keeping a list of the guns he's shot and is up to 23.
A couple of the new generation of outdoor/gun writers have gotten a pretty good start.

Art Eatman
January 16, 2003, 09:52 PM
Jim Wilson's about 57; Bart Skelton looks to be in his 40s.

If we're lucky, some of the instructors at the various shooting acadamies will turn out to have some writing ability.

We've had a few fair hands at TFL who are trying their wings...

Art

PATH
January 17, 2003, 03:00 AM
Go forth and teach the young.............how else will our numbers grow?

DonP
January 17, 2003, 10:00 AM
We may not think abnout it that much, because most of us have been collecting and shooting for some time, but there are a lot of folks that don't have the disposable income to enjoy shooting very often. As a result there are fewer people with decent writing skills that are exposed to shooting.

One of the things that always stuns non-shooting people, when I talk about it to them, is how much a gun costs. When I explain that a basic 1911 can run from $500 to over $1000 I almost always get a shocked look and a "Huh, I had no idea guns were that expensive". (Of course they don't mind paying over a grand for the latest set of "magic" golf clubs to shave a stroke or two off their game at the club.)

Add that to the fact that when you are younger and just starting out and raising kids, trying to buy a house and keep a couple of cars on the road you may not be able to go shooting or develop your interest int he sport until you have a few more bucks socked away.

Then there's the fact that there are only so many markets for gun writers to pursue, certainly a lot fewer than there were when the old farts like me started out.

Just another point to consider.

Don P.

Don Gwinn
January 17, 2003, 10:11 AM
All true. My shooting came to a screaming halt when the boys arrived. Some days when they're flat on their backs screaming and kicking their feet, you can't help but look at 'em and try to figure out how many Glocks they represent.

But I do love the little darlings. . . . I guess.
;)

Azrael256
January 17, 2003, 11:34 AM
I'm going to have to agree with Blades67 here. I'm 20, and would just love to write for a gun rag (after I finish school).

Baron Holbach
January 17, 2003, 11:39 AM
Stephen Camp frequently writes gun reviews of his own firearms and posts the results in gun forums. I do not know his age, but I find his reviews detailed and well done. His writings should be published.

If you enjoyed reading about "Old Guys????" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!