AR-10 Cheaper to Build or Buy?

PDA

Gardien
March 6, 2009, 11:52 AM
I am intersted in building my own AR-10 because I would like to save a few bucks and would enjoy the process.

Would appreciate any comments from those who have done this.

Thanks in advance.

If you enjoyed reading about "AR-10 Cheaper to Build or Buy?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Acera
March 6, 2009, 12:01 PM
I like building them. First I get exactly what I want. Second it is not that hard, and you control the quality of parts you put in. Cheaper? Probably you can get a more custom product than you would if you bought it modified. This first one will cost a little more, because you will probably buy new tools and fixtures to make the job easier. The second one will not have the associated tool expense.

But you can start the popcorn popping, this tread will have a lot of other opinions in it.

Magic_Man
March 6, 2009, 12:02 PM
Cheaper to buy. Parts are harder to come by than AR-15 parts. I was going to buy a stripped AR-10 lower until I realized that

JWarren
March 6, 2009, 09:59 PM
Hehe... for me, it would have been cheaper to build it.

I bought a stock LR-308 (yeah, I know its not an AR-10, but we use a lot of the same parts.)

By the time I am through with my LR-308, the ONLY part that will still be stock is the Lower Receiver and the gas tube.

Even so, I am REALLY glad that I bought mine when I did.

EDIT: I forgot... my barrel and bolt will still be stock as well.

-- John

PT1911
March 6, 2009, 10:03 PM
depends on who you know.. with the price of parts.. particularly uppers right now, for most people it would be much cheaper to buy.. from the right person... but some people can come across parts readily and have no problem building them for much cheaper...

average person... buy...

jpwilly
March 6, 2009, 10:09 PM
I purchased mine because building from parts (locating parts) would have been difficult.

Quoheleth
March 6, 2009, 10:16 PM
Is the same true of Ar-15s in .223 or 5.56? Basically a wash, $$-wise?

Q

Floppy_D
March 6, 2009, 11:05 PM
Built lowers are fetching $700+. Mags are nearing $60 a piece. I have a factory DPMS LR-308 (http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=431218)for $1600 including a $200 scope, if it goes in the next week... much cheaper than factory.

Gardien
March 7, 2009, 01:39 PM
Floppy D - Nice looking. Are you satisfied with your DPMS? That is the model I have been looking at if I decide not to build.

Floppy_D
March 7, 2009, 02:58 PM
PM'ed. :D

axeman_g
March 7, 2009, 05:28 PM
my bad... did not see AR10..saw AR15.... ignore all spewing from my pie hole.

If you enjoyed reading about "AR-10 Cheaper to Build or Buy?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!