Rifle value question, Rock Island 1903

PDA

dasmi
March 6, 2009, 02:04 PM
Local shop has a Rock Island 1903. It's been sporterized. Has an older scope on weaver mounts. It's in pretty OK shape. Bore looks good. They want $249 for it. Does this sound like a good deal? I don't want it for any collector value, more of a base for a reach out and touch something rifle. Probably replace the scope with something nicer down the road. Thoughts?

If you enjoyed reading about "Rifle value question, Rock Island 1903" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rondog
March 6, 2009, 02:06 PM
Never heard of it. If you like it and want it, haggle for it and take it home!

jim in Anchorage
March 6, 2009, 02:40 PM
If its a real 03 with a milled trigger guard[not a A3 stamped] buy it and send it to me.

jim in Anchorage
March 6, 2009, 02:55 PM
PS to above-any RI Springfield under serial # 285,507 is a "low number" action and you may want to avoid it.

dasmi
March 6, 2009, 02:56 PM
Thanks, someone on another board just said the same thing. Why should low numbers be avoided?

jim in Anchorage
March 6, 2009, 03:04 PM
Different heat treatments on the steel. The early guns were very hard,and brittle. That meant they would break rather then stretch. How dare you go to a different board?

dasmi
March 6, 2009, 03:05 PM
That's good to know. I don't really want a .30-06 bomb going off in my face. I'll check the serial number before I buy it. Assuming it passes the serial number test, does that seem like a fair price? I don't know much about 1903's.

jim in Anchorage
March 6, 2009, 03:15 PM
Lets put it this way. If its a high # RI 03,and you buy it at that price,you can always sell it to me at a $ 100 profit

If you enjoyed reading about "Rifle value question, Rock Island 1903" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!