Remington Ammo SUX

PDA

ThrottleJockey
March 6, 2009, 11:20 PM
This is a small sample of what I pulled out of a brick of Remington .22 Has anyone else had this experience? When I called them they said I'd "have to send it up to the plant" they said to just mail it! They claimed they will replace it! It will cost more to mail it than it cost in the first place, not to mention the fact that it would be against the law. Why would I want more of this remingcrap? I know better than to buy it in the first place, as only about half of it would even fire, but I thought after many years I'd give them another shot. NEVER AGAIN!!!

If you enjoyed reading about "Remington Ammo SUX" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
geronimo509
March 6, 2009, 11:24 PM
I dont have any 22's and never bought any ammo, but i've heard that a few rounds out of a brick of 22's might not be great. But that is just ridiculous

john1911
March 6, 2009, 11:26 PM
I don't see what SUXs so bad, the offered to make it right.

ThrottleJockey
March 6, 2009, 11:28 PM
"I don't see what SUXs so bad, the offered to make it right"

Only at the cost of me breaking federal laws! I hope you were being sarcastic.

kirklandkie
March 6, 2009, 11:29 PM
i'd want to keep the insane looking rounds, maybe build a wall-box for them with a nice black front. get a copy of the remington logo and make it the backdrop to the box

-kirk

kingpin008
March 6, 2009, 11:30 PM
First of all, that's completely bizarre. Most ammo companies (including Remington) are excellent when it comes to compensating customers for bad ammo - I'm sure this will be no different.

Secondly, it's not illegal to mail the ammo back to them. Simply close the rest of the brick up, package it, and ship it out. You'll have to label it properly, but you will absolutely be able to ship it back to them.

And it will not cost more than the brick cost to ship it back to them. Even if it did, it's pretty standard for ammo manufacturers to replace the defective ammo as well as sending coupons.

So how about you follow their advice, and let them fix the problem before bad-mouthing them?

ThrottleJockey
March 6, 2009, 11:32 PM
According to my local post office, it is illegal for me to mail ammunition or any other form of explosives.

scolist
March 6, 2009, 11:32 PM
Wow! I wonder how much more of that junk is out there.

Any chance you could give us the batch code on that ammo?

ThrottleJockey
March 6, 2009, 11:34 PM
On the bottom of the box:
PKG. 60818-5
R240/1622AB
G58420590

Not sure which is the batch code, but look out for it!

W L Johnson
March 6, 2009, 11:35 PM
Of all the 22 ammo that I have bought, Remingtons are by far the worst. Almost nothing will feed right with them, 1 out of 3 misfires, and some guns won't even chamber the little POS's. It's like they're the wrong size. Do a search on the internet and you'll see you are not alone.

kingpin008
March 6, 2009, 11:35 PM
Throttle - Just because the local post office won't accept something for shipment, doesn't mean it's against Federal law to do so.

http://www.adazonusa.com/howtoshipammunitionorammo-a-45.html

A little research goes a long way, eh?

KarenTOC
March 6, 2009, 11:48 PM
Why are you complaining? Those deformed cartridges are fascinating! The entertainment value alone is worth the price. Plus you have a whole pile of modern art to view without having to leave home and without those pesky museum entrance fees.

Sorry. Just looking for the silver lining :)

longdayjake
March 6, 2009, 11:53 PM
Only at the cost of me breaking federal laws! I hope you were being sarcastic.

If its illegal to ship ammo then wideners should have hundreds of life sentences. Try UPS. They ship it.

22-rimfire
March 6, 2009, 11:58 PM
Honestly, I would check your gun. There is a feeding problem. I have had something like that happen maybe two times in thousands of rounds of Remington ammo and it is always with a semi-auto 22 rilfe. My suggestion is you clean your gun and shoot some more.

You can ship ammo. No laws broken as long as it is properly labeled.

MaterDei
March 7, 2009, 12:05 AM
I'm confused. :confused:

Did those rounds come out of the box like that or did your gun do that to them? I agree that Remington is trash but I've never seen anything remotely similar to that.

W L Johnson
March 7, 2009, 12:19 AM
Got a Marlin Glenfield 60, Ruger Mk.II, Bersa 22, GSG-5, AR-7, and a Ciener AR-15 kit that all only choke on Remingtons. In fact the Ciener will not even chamber them. Every other brand runs fine, and I have tried a lot. The only 22 that feeds them right is a Remington model 5 bolt action but even with it I get a lot of misfires. Havn't tried them in the Henry Golden Boy because I don't want them anywhere near it. Even when they feed right misfire after misfire. Could be a bad batch I don't know.

ThrottleJockey
March 7, 2009, 12:20 AM
"Honestly, I would check your gun. There is a feeding problem. I have had something like that happen maybe two times in thousands of rounds of Remington ammo and it is always with a semi-auto 22 rilfe. My suggestion is you clean your gun and shoot some more."

"Did those rounds come out of the box like that or did your gun do that to them?"

NO, THIS IS HOW THEY CAME OUT OF THE BOX.

Wingnut13
March 7, 2009, 12:24 AM
Yea, I can't get one clip to feed thru my Ruger MKII's with rem. ammo. Just learned to stay away from it. -Wingnut13

ThrottleJockey
March 7, 2009, 12:29 AM
Sorry, I'm just a little ticked about this. I should rename this thread to read: Remington rimfire SUX

I have never had a problem with their centerfire cartridges.

JackOfAllTradesMasterAtNone
March 7, 2009, 12:29 AM
Oh My God, I've heard every thing now!

You've never ever broken the yoke of an egg when you've flipped'em over easy? You've never ever burnt or under 'cooked' your toast? You've never ever had a traffic ticket? You've never ever run out of gas or come close to it?

You must be friggin PERFECT!

You bought bulk ammo in a box and you're complaining about something that probably shouldn't have happened but did. It was most likely an assembly line issue going into the containers. Could this have been a damaged box? You're out what, three bux worth of ammo?

C'mon.

This can happen to any manufacturing/packaging process for any company. If this was a box of cookies, then the return wouldn't be so difficult.

I am sorry that you're displeased with your purchase. I suggest that you take them back to the store where you bought them. Maybe Wally World will give you your money back or credit for another brand of ammo they stock.

-Steve

azhunter122
March 7, 2009, 12:30 AM
I love remington ammo, it's the best for my guns.

22-rimfire
March 7, 2009, 12:30 AM
They were actually in the box deformed like that? How did they even fit? Just thought of it? Bulk Pack, right? Well, I seldom buy bulk packs and there clearly was something going on with one of the machines and the inspectors totally missed it. I would send them pictures and see if empty boxes would be sufficient for their needs. They really just need to know the lot number more than anythng to trace back the problem. Remington should feel embarrassed at a minimum that something like this actually passed the inspectors. Somebody needs a good talking to.

You see my drift, it is a personel problem rather than a manufacturing problem. Stuff happens, but they should never have made it out of the factory. Remington should make good on this. I have never bought any of their bulk packs or loosely boxed ammo.

W L Johnson
March 7, 2009, 12:32 AM
Did these come from a Walmart bulk pack marked golden bullet?

Vonderek
March 7, 2009, 12:34 AM
It's the new Obama macro-stamping for public safety.

ThrottleJockey
March 7, 2009, 12:34 AM
No, half the box is like this. It is not a matter of "perfection", but a matter of quality control. As I said, Remcrap rimfire has always been garbage IMO. Usually 1/3 misfires or FTF. This is ridiculous, and yet one more example of why the rest of the manufacturing world is kicking our azz(the USA).

Deavis
March 7, 2009, 12:37 AM
One box out of millions that they sold with some defects. Clearly you are unharmed so not a big deal. Is this the first time you've ever received a single defective product in your life? What are you really mad about? That 15 or so rounds worth less than a dollar are bad? Seriously?

They offered to make it right but you are not willing to work with them to do so. Why are you ticked?

ThrottleJockey
March 7, 2009, 12:37 AM
bulk pack, golden bullet. Yes. Walmart, not sure. Been stocking up, buying a brick anytime I go anywhere that has it in stock. I think this box of rem was purchased before christmas, but couldn't say for sure.

ThrottleJockey
March 7, 2009, 12:43 AM
Deavis, I have purchased defective products before. And every time left me furious. I don't care if it is a 5cent stick of gum or a $35,000 car. I have never in my life sold, or delivered a defective product of ANY sort. It is a matter of pride, service, quality, reputation......etc....Also, as previously stated, HALF THE BOX WAS LIKE THIS, a box of 550.

W L Johnson
March 7, 2009, 12:44 AM
bulk pack, golden bullet. Yes. Walmart, not sure. Been stocking up, buying a brick anytime I go anywhere that has it in stock. I think this box of rem was purchased before christmas, but couldn't say for sure.
Walmart is where my problem remingtons came from. Bulk pack, golden bullet. yep before christmas, or was last summer?

22-rimfire
March 7, 2009, 12:50 AM
I think Remington really needs the whole box. This is a blatant QA/QC problem. I would be willing to bet that it was one machine and one employee who was having a bad day that is responsible for the whole mess and there probably were a lot more deformed rounds from that machine on that day.

I have never had 1/3 (33%) FTF with Remington 22 ammo. It is more like 2% which is more than it should be.

W L Johnson
March 7, 2009, 12:55 AM
I remember about 15 years ago I bought some bulk packs of 22s I had problems with and I vowed to never buy them again.... I remember!... They were called 22 thunder bolts. My ruger and marlin hated them. Well guess who made them.... Remington.

Marlin 45 carbine
March 7, 2009, 12:56 AM
I've never had any luck w/Rem .22LR at all. bad stuff.

W L Johnson
March 7, 2009, 12:57 AM
I have never had 1/3 (33%) FTF with Remington 22 ammo.

Could be bad batches sent out to Walfart sorry Walmart.

ThrottleJockey
March 7, 2009, 12:57 AM
you know, thinking back to my youth, the rem was OK back when it came in the "milk carton" 1500 round pack.

oldFred
March 7, 2009, 01:15 AM
:rolleyes:

I don't buy anything other than CCI Minimags and Stingers in 22 LR.

I have a brick of Remington Thunderbolts with a stranger problem, the lead is disintegrating and all the bullets are sloppy loose in the case.

Strange I thought Remington were great until I ran into this...

fireman 9731
March 7, 2009, 01:22 AM
Yikes!

I have probably gone through about 25,000 rounds of Remington Golden bullets, all bulk pack. I have never seen a single deformed round and honestly just about 10 rounds total that wouldn't fire....

Send it back to Remington, I'm sure that they will fix your problem.

Snowdog
March 7, 2009, 03:30 AM
I'd be a bit pissed as well. Obviously there was some shoddy quality control when that batch made it out the door.
I believe "fair" compensation would be a postage-paid shipping lable or box sent for return shipping (I've received this option a few times for warranty repair, etc). If I were asked to suck up the shipping cost to help them make things right, yeah... I'd feel every bit as burned as ThrottleJockey without a doubt.

Trustin
March 7, 2009, 04:10 AM
quality control... bad day for the assembly line worker... somebody doing this just to pee in a random guys cheerios.

meanwhile, all of the people shipping and handling the ammo after it leaves the factory are left above suspicion.

looks to me like the box was dropped HARD and the cases smashed into each other. only way I can see the random and multiple crimps and dents on the rounds happening. loosen up on remington, I'm not a fan of their ammo except for their premium self defense and hunting rounds, but I don't bash an entire product line because I had one shoddy box.

Kind of Blued
March 7, 2009, 04:25 AM
I'd guess that Occam's Razor applies here.

The box got squished. Two hundred .22LR cartridges got smashed against 200 others .22LR cartridges. Some of them deformed due to physics, others didn't for the same reason.

renegade1alpha
March 7, 2009, 04:28 AM
Since when is it a crime to mail ammo? As long as it done legally and through a carrier other than the USPS, you can mail ammo. UPS will do it, however it must be marked on the outside as ORM-D with approved logo layout (this is Fed law) and declared to shipper as ammo.

I have bought .22 long rifle ammo and had a few rounds that were not shootable. But out of 500 rounds in a brick, I don't consider that too bad considering they are mass produced. Now if every box of .22 ammo I bought from Remington were like that, then yes, I would stop buying their product.

A friend of mine bought a 100 round value pack of Winchester white box .45ACP and the OAL on every round was so bad they would not cycle in his Kimber. Walmart replaced what he had with another box. No problems with them.

Dirtpile
March 7, 2009, 05:44 AM
Just a quick question since I really doubt that they went into the box looking like that, maybe a few but not half of it. How did the box look?
It almost looks like they had a rough trip at the bottom of the pallet or got the 'Ace Ventura' treatment.

Dookie
March 7, 2009, 05:53 AM
It's the new Obama macro-stamping for public safety.That's funny.

After Remington told me I was out the replacement cost of a broken extractor and bolt in my Savage because I was using "inferior" equipment and not a remington rifle to shoot the ammo, I have refused to buy anything from them.

I was shooting golden bullets. The bullet exploded so loudly that my ears were ringing and I was standing about 20 feet away.

Floppy_D
March 7, 2009, 08:47 AM
It's the new Obama macro-stamping for public safety.
+5 cool points for that one.

They offered to make it right. Let 'em. If the new box comes back the same way, you have grounds to complain. If the new ammo works, there ya go.

halfded
March 7, 2009, 08:53 AM
That's why I switched to federal champion. Cheapest, cleanest shooting .22lr I've found so far. Lead bullet though, don't know if that matters to you.

Deanimator
March 7, 2009, 09:01 AM
Since when is it a crime to mail ammo? As long as it done legally and through a carrier other than the USPS
If you send it through another carrier, you aren't MAILING it. He said they told him to MAIL them.

W L Johnson
March 7, 2009, 10:26 AM
That's why I switched to federal champion.

+1 on federal, much better ammo for the same amount of money. I can go thru a whole box without any failures. I use the copper plated.

MMCSRET
March 7, 2009, 10:56 AM
I quit buying Remington 22 rimfire in 1957, about the time they changed the box from the old dark green with red and white lettering to the new box , half light green and half white with red and black lettering. It was about the same time they introduced "golden 22s". The outside lube was so heavy that my bolt gun would become balky and stiff to function from the accumulated excess lube. Still have a couple boxes and they haven't gotten any better with age, still oversize from all the wax.

SCKimberFan
March 7, 2009, 11:07 AM
Put all the ammo together (laid out) along with the box with any facotry markings on it (lot #'s and the like). Take digital photos and email them to Remington. No cost involved other than time. Try this and see if you don't get some kind of response from them. It's worth a shot. (pun intended)

W L Johnson
March 7, 2009, 11:18 AM
still oversize from all the wax

Probably why they will not chamber in my Ciener Kit.

searcher451
March 7, 2009, 11:58 AM
This sampling comes as no surprise to me. Worse, the old adage that you get what you pay for doesn't seem apply in this case because Remington ammo costs about the same as the other brands on the market ... and it has been spotty at best for a long time now, at least in my experience.

I'm not sure what it is, or why the issue has lingered for so long, but a once-trusted brand is always relegated to the back shelf in my opinion when I make a trip to the ammo store. Even when ammo is scarce -- as it is these days, what with all the panic buying that's going on out there -- I'm still inclined to pass Remington by.

You'd think that at some point they'd get it. Apparently not.

RB98SS
March 7, 2009, 01:27 PM
I recently purchased a box of the same at Sportsman's Warehouse in Coon Rapids, MN. No kidding, one in three failed to fire. I gave the bulk of them to a friend to see if he would have any luck with them in his pistol. I have since purchased a bulk box of Federal 525 and haven't had one failure.

How much you want to bet someone had that box, put the FTF's back and returned it somehow.

taprackbang
March 7, 2009, 01:29 PM
I don't see what SUXs so bad, the offered to make it right.

What SUX is the the fact that they are supposed to be a name brand manufacturer with a quality control dept. I guess the QC people fell asleep that day.

buck460XVR
March 7, 2009, 01:32 PM
what I don't understand is why you bought another box in the first place.......

No, half the box is like this. It is not a matter of "perfection", but a matter of quality control. As I said, Remcrap rimfire has always been garbage IMO. Usually 1/3 misfires or FTF. This is ridiculous, and yet one more example of why the rest of the manufacturing world is kicking our azz(the USA).

bannockburn
March 7, 2009, 02:05 PM
I stopped buying Remington rimfire years ago when I was experiencing something like 3 or 4 misfires, failure to feed, or failure to eject every 10 rounds. It didn't matter if they were Goldens, Vipers, Thunderbolts, Cyclones, or Yellow Jackets. To add further insult to injury, they were at their worst in my sons Remington rifle. I would say that I have never seen anything like what the OP found in his bulk pack. It almost looks like they grabbed the rejects bin and mixed them in with the "good" ones. Though based on my past experience with Remington rimfire ammo, that's not always something that can be determined just by visual appearances.

funkerbunny
March 7, 2009, 04:09 PM
strangely enough my Marlin Model 81 will ONLY run Remington Golden Bullets, everything else sticks in the chamber after its fired (Not sure why, but I'd love to fix it)

CSA 357
March 7, 2009, 04:10 PM
Well i had this trouble a few years ago, with the bulk golden bullets, some wouldnt fire, and they all had a differnt sound, they werent acurate at all, i e mailed remington, they told me to send it back, i didnt, i shouldnt have to! I threw the crap away and now i buy winchester or fedrald, i have had issues with centerfire remington ammo too, i just dont buy it any more, they make it to sell thats all! There qc must need a big overhaul! Csa

Sixtigers
March 7, 2009, 04:29 PM
Hmmmm.

I've been shooting Remington .22s for the last four years exclusively. I've noticed that my Ruger Mk Is, IIs, 22-45, and 10-22s get a misfire every two magazines or so, and my 10-22s especially have some FTF issues that I don't remember having in my youth.

I thought it was my weapons.

I just bought a case of Federal from ChinaMart. I'll have to go out today and see if there's a difference.

I will say that I've never seen a damaged round in my Remington bulk packs. I don't know about the overall quality of their rounds, but that amount of obvious physical damage is atypical, and I don't believe it would come from a crushed box--just a gut feeling. Looks like a manufacturing issue, and Remington needs to know about it. I like the idea of the damaged rounds digital picture with the container. Send it to 'em.

Deanimator
March 7, 2009, 06:55 PM
Years ago, a couple of friends split a case of Remington Standard Velocity to shoot in their S&W Model 41s. It was AWFUL, not even as reliable as the then available Russian steel cased match ammo. There were AT LEAST 20% misfires. They ended up sending the thing back for a refund.

I would NEVER buy Remington .22lr ammunition.

atblis
March 7, 2009, 07:17 PM
I'll pile on too.

In my experience Remington Ammo does in fact suck

22lr Bulk pack :barf:

"Match" 22 (T22 is it?) :barf: Would shoot some nice groups, and then you'd get one stinker (like one in 5). Finally put it over a chrono and yeah, definitely the ammo.

UMC pistol ammo. Generally functions the guns, but has never been accurate in any caliber I've ever bought.

Never noticed a problem with the Corelokt deer hunting ammo. Then again, with a 270, if it hits the deer...dead deer. Did get one with a bullet loaded backwards. The brass sure is crappy though. Necks with visibly uneven thickness.

Never really thought about it, but I do avoid remington ammo. Trying to remember the last time I bought any.

NeoSpud
March 7, 2009, 07:50 PM
Like Sixtigers, I grew up shooting Remington .22, and thought it was just normal for every mag or two to have a few duds in it. I never bought much .22 anyways, so never figured it was worth it to buy anything else. I just took it to mean that .22s were somehow, by nature, less reliable guns.

Just this past year, though, my local range required that I shoot no exposed-lead bullets. I bought a few boxes of American Eagle (manufactured by Federal Cartridge Company), and suddenly I had shot an entire brick with 0 FTF.

"Weird!" I thought. "Must be the new gun." Well, it wasn't. I went to a different range to finish off the few boxes and <b>immediately</b> could distinguish between the American Eagle and the Remington. The Remington was extremely dirty, inconsistent (I could feel the recoil difference between some "pop" shots and other "BANG" shots), and unreliable (8 FTF in 100 rounds). The American Eagle was much cleaner, extremely consistent, and perfectly reliable. Suddenly, I saw the light...

I'll never, EVER buy Remington .22 ammo again. There most certainly is a difference between .22 ammo, and I'm convinced that Remington is a gigantic waste of money.

Iansstud
March 7, 2009, 08:05 PM
UPS ground, or Fed Ex ground them to remington, they will send you a new box... If they dont, they are a bunch of tools

Big Daddy Grim
March 7, 2009, 08:10 PM
I buy federal no complaints here.

Rubber_Duck
March 7, 2009, 08:40 PM
Sounds like the OP should switch to Federal. I've used Remington GB in the past and they are the worst. Some rounds were quieter than others, very incosistent. I threw the rest away out of fear of getting a bullet stuck in the barrel.

CSA 357
March 7, 2009, 09:14 PM
WHY SEND THEM BACK? THEY WILL JUST SEND YOU MORE JUST LIKE THE ONES YOU HAD!:banghead:

Nero_Atrum
March 7, 2009, 09:38 PM
Last time I went to the range my nephew had 6 misfires in a row using that ammo.

cleardiddion
March 7, 2009, 10:40 PM
That seems kinda strange.
All I ever really feed my Marlin60 is Remingtons and they don't have many more defects than any other sort of bulk stuff.

It could be that they screwed up shipping the stuff or something. Either that or just chalk it up as a fluke

STARR15
March 7, 2009, 10:56 PM
I could feel the recoil difference between some "pop" shots and other "BANG" shots), and unreliable (8 FTF in 100 rounds). I had the same problem. I was wondering outloud, "What's going on here". This isn't firing right. This was a Ruger .Never had this problem with any other 22lr ammo. I loaded my son's CZ single shot bolt rifle with this stuff and it confirmed it had to be the Thunderdud. Weird stuff.

ThrottleJockey
March 8, 2009, 12:00 AM
I went shooting today, took one of my 7 bricks of federal, one of 5 bricks of winchester, and the "good" part of the box of remcrap. Not one single problem with the Winchester, or Federal. 1 in 5 misfired out of the remcrap. This was done with a Marlin model 60, a Ruger 10/22 and a davey cricket. I had to use a screwdriver to extract the remcrap from the cricket, but the rest worked fine. I must add, that the box the remcrap came in was undamaged in any way, and the smashed rounds all seem to have damage in the same spot. This leads me to believe it was a problem with the machine that makes them. Oh, and about the cor-lokt, yes, that's what I use in my deer rifle, 30-06 180grain cor-lokt. Always have. Never a problem with that, but at the current price of 30-40 bucks for a box of 20, it better friggin' work!

Snowdog
March 8, 2009, 01:52 AM
Or switch to Centurion (Aguila) that's generally in stock these days and $175 for ten bricks (5000).
After buying a brick to see how they function, I found them to be absolutely reliable from all my .22LR firearmds and reasonably accurate, as much as I found Winchester Wildcats to be (my previous "stockpile" that's running thin). They're bare-bones like Wildcats and perhaps a bit smokey, but again, reliable. I found them surprisingly accurate from the most inexpensive of .22s, a Savage MKII and Marlin Model 60.
I personally plan on a 10K purchase and just be done with scrounging for Walmart .22LR for a while, at least until this "shortage" hoopla blows over.

natman
March 8, 2009, 02:59 PM
Just because the local post office won't accept something for shipment, doesn't mean it's against Federal law to do so.

http://www.adazonusa.com/howtoshipam...ammo-a-45.html

A little research goes a long way, eh?

Yes it does. Check out the USPS website:

http://pe.usps.gov/text/pub52/pub52apxa.htm

Scroll down to AMMUNITION. All forms of ammunition are prohibited to mail.

B yond
March 8, 2009, 04:05 PM
Went to the range yesterday and shot half a small box of remington thunderbolt. 3 rounds just would not go off. I tried each round several times on different parts of the rim. I guess they just forgot to prime those. 3/25 being duds is pretty lame, IMO.

Rob P.
March 8, 2009, 04:42 PM
I'm going to be the lone dissenter here I guess.

"Did those rounds come out of the box like that or did your gun do that to them?"

NO, THIS IS HOW THEY CAME OUT OF THE BOX.

Frankly, I don't believe that ANY factory would allow that ammo to pass ANY QC inspection. The fact that the ammo has been hit or crushed with a sharp "edge" (you can see sharp creases on the sides of cases in the pic) would mean that the machines are crushing the ammo (which could cause a discharge during the loading process = VERY bad thing) or that someone is running around the warehouse smacking things with a crowbar (again, reasonably unlikely due to the risk of an AD not to mention the other workers would have to notice something was going on.)

So, the mfg is most likely not responsible. (which I would believe as I shoot A LOT of Remington ammo and have had ZERO problems over the last 35 years.) So, that leaves the shipper as the place to lay the blame. Or the OP. (Take your pick.) But it's probably not Remington's fault in this case.

My 2 cents.

ThrottleJockey
March 8, 2009, 04:48 PM
Well Rob P. thanx for your .02, that and a $5 bill will get you a cup of coffee at a ********** Starbucks! Every round had marks about half way up the brass from where the machine grabs them and MANY were smashed in that same spot. The box was undamaged and untampered with. It is CLEARLY a manufacturing issue. I have shown these to several "experts" since opening the box, and this is the way it is.

30mag
March 8, 2009, 05:21 PM
Ammo isn't an explosive...
Gunpowder burns, not explodes.

fyi, I've bought Remington before, and never seen that much messed up ammo.
Maybe one or two shells a box. I prefer Winchester myself.. their wildcat ammo seems awfully dirty though.

DeathByCactus
March 8, 2009, 05:29 PM
How does it cost more than a brick to mail it out to Remington? Just send them a copy of the receipt and ask if they could provide you with a coupon to cover your costs...

Dunno, I typically buy Rem for our rimfire, but.... Never had those issues. That's kinda amusing though...

ThrottleJockey
March 8, 2009, 05:33 PM
DeathByCactus, well the brick was only about 12 bucks, it weighs more than a pound or two. It costs me around $25 just to mail 8 ounces of paper work to my dispatcher each week. The math adds up.

Fburgtx
March 8, 2009, 07:55 PM
I stopped buying Remington Golden Bullets years ago. TONS of misfires (in multiple guns). They need to re-examine their priming process. It's just not uniform around the rim of the cartridge. Many times, I would get a misfire, pull the cartridge out, spin it 180 degrees, and then it would fire. I would easily have a misfire ratio of 1/10 to 1/20 with Remington. Winchester, maybe 1/50 to 1/100. I'd say Federal is 1/100 to none at all.

For bulk ammo, I like Federal (Lightning or Champion), then Winchester Xpert (I wish they'd copper-wash this stuff). If I buy Remington, it's out of shear desperation!!!

rhino57
March 9, 2009, 09:13 PM
When I was a young fellow I used to hunt Groundhogs with my cousin on my Gradfathers Dairy farm in Conneticuit. At tha time two of my Uncles worked at the local Remington plant, we used only Remington 22 ammo. It always fired and never jambed, the best 22 ammo made. I don't what happened butt today I would not use the stuff, seems to missfire and has a hard time feeding in my semi auto pistols.

DHJenkins
March 9, 2009, 09:46 PM
Use the rate calculator on fedex.com

A 2lb package shouldn't cost more than about $6-7 to ship.

I ship alot of stuff. I've never paid $25 to ship something .5 lbs - even airmail overseas isn't that expensive.

rojocorsa
March 9, 2009, 10:12 PM
I am not too fond of the Golden Bullet value-pack myself. Next time, I think I'll try some American Eagle.

Big Daddy Grim
March 9, 2009, 10:17 PM
Never used .22 from Remington but there UMC stuff works just fine.

mongo4567
March 10, 2009, 02:03 AM
I used to use the Remington Golden value packs exclusively. It was a little dirty but very accurate in a couple of my .22s, one of the most accurate in fact. The last two bricks I've shot have been complete junk. About 1 in 20 duds in my P22, about half of those will fire in my Mk2. Something must have happened to their quality control. I'm done with them myself; only got two more bricks to go through then it is all Federal from now on.

HGUNHNTR
March 10, 2009, 02:19 AM
I have never had good luck with Remington rimfire ammo. Try CCI's they seem to make any rimfire purr.

justindo
March 10, 2009, 03:39 AM
I've always had problems with Remington's various .22 ammunition, although nothing like the original poster's problem. I buy Federal for the same price and never have any problems.

Interceptor_Knight
March 10, 2009, 07:12 AM
Has anyone else had this experience?

Of all the thousands of Rem Goldens I have fired over the years, not a single one has ever come out of the box looking like that!!!:eek:

Remington-KC
March 19, 2009, 06:02 PM
Hi guys,

I am the Products Service Manager for Remington ammunition. I work at the ammunition plant here in Lonoke, AR.

From looking at the photos, it looks like this product was smashed in a packer. I don't know who you talked to, but it was probably a CSR at our corprate office in North Carolina.

If you would like, we will take care of this product for you. We always cover shipping and to clear the air, we send ammo through Fed-X and UPS everyday.

We can be reached at 1-501-676-4197 for any ammo concerns.

Kris

FMF
March 19, 2009, 07:12 PM
well there ya go, Mr. Carson from Remington is here to solve your issue.

Now after you get it all sorted let us know how it worked out.

nyggis
March 19, 2009, 07:46 PM
Well... Have had serious issues with Remington Thunderbolt .22:s during winter months. A LOT of misfires. But since I recently lost my well paid job at the Volvo trucks corporation, I canīt afford better stuff... :(

hometheaterman
March 19, 2009, 08:48 PM
I've never thought Remington and qualiry control went together. Most Remington stuff has had issues that it shouldn't have and most that probably shouldn't have left the factory.

I want to like them but haave just had bad luck with their products.

If you look online you will see most people have bad luck with Remington rimfire ammo. Look on Rimfirecentral.com

My 10/22 really likes the Winchester Xperts that wal mart sells in bulk packs. For some reason it wants to stovepipe every few shots with the Federal 550 round value packs. I don't know why as a lot of guys love them but others I've talked to have the luck I've had. Id try one of those two if you want to use bulk pack ammo. I as well as many others like the Federal Champions 510s too. I just wish they were hollow points though. They are fairly cheap at Wal mart too.

61chalk
March 19, 2009, 09:40 PM
I think Remington must depend alot on first time buyers to keep them afloat, I think its the worst ammo an can't believe how many people still buy it...it must work for some,. I don't even think its a very good velocity bullet either, for almost the same price, you can get copper coated Federal Champion, over 500
rds. through my GSG-5 an not one
misfire or hangup. Remington sux, Federal rocks!!!!!!

doubleh
March 19, 2009, 10:36 PM
I'm about half way afraid to post this since I'm not going to bash either Remington or their Golden Bullets. In fact Golden bullets are the most accurate cheap ammo I can shoot in three of my rifles. CCI and Blaser are good too. Winchester is not so great and Federal is the worst of all. Poor accuracy and lots of FTFs. The one box of Automatch I tried was no better than the cheap Federal. Sorry this goes against the grain but I'm just telling my personal experience.

hometheaterman
March 19, 2009, 11:41 PM
I think it depends on what your individual gun likes as like I said my 10/22 likes the Winchester Xperts. It's accurate and has minimal jams or stovepipes. With the Federal 550 round bulk packs it's accurate but stovepipes every few shots.

However, others have 10/22's that shoot the Federal 550 round packs just fine.

Like my 30-06 when it comes to accuracy it's picky. It loves Federal Fusions but not Remingtons and likes the Winchester soft points but I wouldn't say loves them and does not do well with the Winchester Ballistic Tips at all.

It just comes down to what your gun likes. However, I've heard way way more people not liking Remington .22 ammo than I have heard liking it. It hasn't been that way with Federal or Winchester. There is a complaint every now and then but not one after another and a good one every now and then.

thebaldguy
March 19, 2009, 11:47 PM
I haven't used any Remington .22 ammo in years. I know I have used it in the past with never a problem. Other people I have asked have never had a problem either.

To be honest, I have never had a misfire in any .22 ammo. I figure I've shot thousands of rounds with never a defective cartridge.

I have to add that the most accurate ammo I've ever used was some match ammo from Eley. It was twice as accurate as anything else in that rifle.

LibShooter
March 19, 2009, 11:57 PM
I'm kind of new to rimfire shooting and I'm learning these guns "Like" some ammo and don't like others.

Having heard bad things about Remington I steered clear for awhile. Then I bought a bulk box of Golden Bullets when they were the only ammo on the shelf one day.

Boy I wish I had done that earlier. RBs are the only bulk shells that work well in all my guns. My Walther P22 (a notoriusly finicky pistol) cycles them just as well as CCI Minimags. Almost as accurate, too.

My off the shelf Ruger 10/22 likes Winchester Xperts a little better, but the Remington still works pretty well. That gun hates Federal.

After a few thousand rounds I've learned 2 facts:
1. If your gun hates a certain brand of ammo, don't buy it again.
2. I've never met a gun that doesn't like MiniMags

Thompsongunner
March 20, 2009, 12:09 AM
While I do not post alot I just have to put my two cents worth in on this thread.
I've had issues with the Federals and will pay more at my local Wally World for the remingtons! The 3 .22's I own eat the golden bullets with no problem at all. In fact my P22 which is real picky about ammo loves the Remington .22's, put over 200 rds of them through it the other night with zero problems.

Gunner,

skoro
March 20, 2009, 12:25 AM
I've had nothing but good results from Remington centerfire ammo whether it's rifle or handgun. And their 22WMR is good stuff, too. I also like the Yellow Jackets. But I've never used worse ammo than their Golden Bullet 22LR. Duds, misfeeds, you name it.

And it's true that 22s tend to be picky eaters. But even my two Remington 22s wouldn't digest the Golden Bullets. They like Federal, CCI and Winchester, though.

Remington-KC
March 20, 2009, 10:39 AM
I can handle the bashing of Remington, thats fine. I post on Rimfire Central and a few of the AR forums as well. I understand all of the frustrations that everyone has, but if you just post it on here, and don't let us know about it, it doesn't get reported. We always want to keep improving our products, whether it is rimfire, centerfire, shotshell, industrial or guns.

As I stated before, if you have any Remington ammunition related concerns that you actually want to report and not just talk about on a chatboard. I can handle that for you.

Additionally, if you guys are looking for our date codes, they are printed/stamped on the inside tuck flaps. On the 550 boxes, the code is printed on the inside tuck flap (there are 2). You guys won't be able to decode it but, I would need that information for our database

Again the number is 501-676-4198

Thanks

Kris

ThrottleJockey
March 20, 2009, 12:30 PM
Kris, I'm glad you are willing to stand up and correct this problem. I hope the info people are posting here helps you make changes to improve your rimfire products. I would suggest simply that more "hands on" sampling from the QC department is probably in order, but it's not my job to determine that:)

W L Johnson
March 20, 2009, 01:00 PM
Hi Kris

Sorry to "bash" Remington 22lr ammo but I have had nothing but bad experiences with it over the past 20 years. Now maybe I have had a victim of bad batches I don't know but to be fair I don't recall having any problem with Remington center fire ammo. Maybe something gets pass QC one in a while and I had the bad luck to only buy from those batches. :( I hadn't bought any remington 22's for some years until I bought a bulk pack from walmart last summer (golden) and it acted just like the old remington 22's from many years ago constant misfires, FTF's and FTE's and not just in one gun but seven. My friends are reporting the same thing. These same guns have almost no problem with every other brand I've tried.

Remington-KC
March 20, 2009, 01:20 PM
We do sample testing on every lot of Rimfire product that is made throughout the day. Could some goof ups slip through, sure.

I just want you guys to know that when you call us, it doesn't fall on def ears. I am a mechanical engineer by training. All production information that comes through my department is relayed through to production.

Kris

Steve N
March 20, 2009, 01:41 PM
Kris,

Just curious: How many .22-making machines does your plant have? How many rounds per minute can they produce? Are there any videos of the complete process, from forming brass and lead to filling the cartridge and pressing the bullet?

Not trying to steal trade secrets, but I'd love to see how ANY manufacturer can make that much ammo so fast and inexpensively.

Thank you

skoro
March 20, 2009, 01:54 PM
I can handle the bashing of Remington, thats fine. I post on Rimfire Central and a few of the AR forums as well. I understand all of the frustrations that everyone has, but if you just post it on here, and don't let us know about it, it doesn't get reported. We always want to keep improving our products, whether it is rimfire, centerfire, shotshell, industrial or guns.

As I stated before, if you have any Remington ammunition related concerns that you actually want to report and not just talk about on a chatboard. I can handle that for you.

Additionally, if you guys are looking for our date codes, they are printed/stamped on the inside tuck flaps. On the 550 boxes, the code is printed on the inside tuck flap (there are 2). You guys won't be able to decode it but, I would need that information for our database

Again the number is 501-676-4198

Thanks

Kris

Kris -

While I appreciate your concern, you're late to the party. This has been an on-going problem over a period of years. And it would be nice if Remington improved its process to minimize the problem, but they let it fester for far too long and the damage is done. As for calling you to inform you that you have a problem, I've never had to do that with any other maker's ammo. And I'm not going to bother to do it with yours. As you've stated, you've seen the repeated stories on multiple websites about the problems with the Golden Bullets.

But I (and probably some others) will not take a chance on purchasing Rem 22lr ammo in the future. There's no need to when other comparably priced products are readily available and they perform at a much higher level.

I will continue to buy your centerfire and 22WMR ammo, though.

neededausername
March 20, 2009, 04:17 PM
I always buy Remington bulk .22 for my Mark III, never had any problems with it.

Remington-KC
March 20, 2009, 05:11 PM
"Just curious: How many .22-making machines does your plant have? How many rounds per minute can they produce? Are there any videos of the complete process, from forming brass and lead to filling the cartridge and pressing the bullet?

Not trying to steal trade secrets, but I'd love to see how ANY manufacturer can make that much ammo so fast and inexpensively.

Thank you"

Steve:

In rimfire, we make several million rounds of rimfire every day. There aren't any production videos out there of ours or much of anybody elses either. While the processes may somewhat similiar, there are differences which separate everyone.

Skoro

I will not deny that there is banter on dedicated forums on our Rimfire issues. There have been a few changes made, including actions such as this, to try and keep a pulse as to what is going on in the field. Can we improve our rimfire product, absolutely. Are we trying to, you bet. The point I was trying to make was if you do let us know when the problems occured and the production code it only helps us more. Does this take time out of your day? Sure. However, I will make sure that you are fairly compensated for your time.

Kris

lesterg3
March 20, 2009, 05:26 PM
If Remington rimfire has always been crap; then why did you buy it?

Seems a bit strange to me That you say Rem rimfire is crap but you bought it anyway, oh well maybe I am getting too old and missed something.:confused:

I have used Remington since 1962 and have never had any problems with them, even bulk packed. I prefer Winchester, because of accuracy in my 22 rifles, but I am not going to stop buying Remington when the price is right.

Kindrox
March 20, 2009, 06:28 PM
Remington,

I prefer your .22 ammo. I have never had a bad experiance, going back 25+ years with your ammunition. Keep improving and keep up the good work.

If you enjoyed reading about "Remington Ammo SUX" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!