Pocket Knives in School?

PDA

KevinAbbeyTech
March 7, 2009, 01:23 AM
Did anyone carry pocket knifes in school when they were in grade school?

I carried an old Swiss army knife when I was a kid, It stayed in my backpack until after school.

We used to have boyscout meetings in the gymnasium after school sometimes and I always had my knife for those.

Did anyone else ever carry a pen knife or other small blade in grade school <unnecessary and inflammatory comment deleted>?

If you enjoyed reading about "Pocket Knives in School?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
WardenWolf
March 7, 2009, 01:46 AM
I wore a Leatherman in high school (graduated 2001). Granted, it was a private school. And I was able to justify it, as I was in a student tech so I needed it. Nobody, to my knowledge, complained. Only time I ever opened the blade was when I needed to strip some wires.

Kevin77
March 7, 2009, 02:58 AM
I also had a swiss army knife. I carried it all through high school and I still have it. I kept it razor sharp and used it often. If my kid went to school with it now we would probably end up sharing the same cell.

Dr. Snubnose
March 7, 2009, 05:20 AM
ahhhh the good old days....I remember the day when every Japanese kid went to school with a Kiridashi in his pencil case...mostly used for arts and crafts type classes...when I was in grade school I carried a cheap folding knife in my pocket...it had a plastic handle (looked like pearl) and it had a 1/2" blade...the whole knife was maybe an inch....looking back it was more like a toy, but I felt well armed...never used it for anything...it just stayed in my pocket with my milk tickets....during college I carried a fixed blade and a slapper each day...cause the city the school I attended was rated #1 at the time...the city you would most probably be murdered in. Both the knife and slapper saved my butt on more than one occasion......Doc:D

Zeke/PA
March 7, 2009, 05:30 AM
In my day most kids carried Barlow pocket knives.
In my high school days, during the hunting season,shotguns or rifles were kept in vehicles fo use in an "on the way home after school"hunt.
I shot in competition and practiced at the local National Guard Armory which meant that on practice days I had to carry my rifle and ammo to school on the school bus.
I stored my rifle in the principals office during the shool day only because it wouldn't fit in my locker.
The good old days!

Todd A
March 7, 2009, 08:27 AM
Every single day. It was my old Cub Scout knife. Spear point, punch , Screw Driver/Bottle opener, made by Camillus.

76shuvlinoff
March 7, 2009, 08:38 AM
Most of them were pretty cheap but I always had some kind of pocket folder. I was taught you didn't get it out unless you needed it.

Short childhood story

I lost my boy scout folder when I was about 10, I got it for my 8th birthday. Apparently my Dad found it in a gravel pile after some serious weathering. He cleaned it up the best he could and put it away for years. (obviously I wasn't being responsible ;)) Last summer I was BSing with him and I'll be damned if he wasn't cleaning his nails with it! He grinned and gave it back to me. He's 87, still trying to teach me a lesson and for reference I'll be 49 tomorrow. :eek:

ssjones
March 7, 2009, 09:00 AM
I had any old Army knife my dad gave me. How could you play mumbly-peg at recess without a knife? OK, we played with darts as well, but it wasn't the same. Try hammering a stick into the ground with the edge of a dart.

sixgunner455
March 7, 2009, 04:57 PM
Every day, from 8 years old on. Graduation, too. Only time I didn't since I was 8 was at Basic Training, and since 9/11, whenever I've had to fly.

Yeah, I used to fly with a nice pocketknife, too.

bikerdoc
March 7, 2009, 05:06 PM
A barlow in grade school a, switchblade in high school.

sm
March 7, 2009, 05:27 PM
Yep.
One was not dressed without a pocket knife in the pocket when I was coming up.

I remember boys and girls so excited about starting first grade, and those that had more than one pocket knife, not being able to make up their mind which knife to bring to school.

Oh, that knife had better be sharp, and pivots oiled.
The Principal, Ass't Principle, Secretary, School Nurse, Janitor, and not only your Teacher, any Teacher was liable to ask to see your knife.

Kids knew the proper way to retrieve a knife from pocket and hand it to another for inspection.

Lessons in school, included using our knives. Sharpening pencils, colored pencils and crayons, cutting string, and all sorts of projects we did.

Sharpening Stones were in all the class rooms, and Staff Offices too.

Principle and Staff would also bring their guns to school for Show-n-Tell like we kids did as well.

In 10th grade Biology, we used our knives in the lab to dissect worms, frogs, lizards...
We had a super cool, good looking young Bio Teacher that drove a 'Vette.
Her husband was a "hunk" the gals said.

Ah yes...Jimi Hendrix was cranked up in the lab, and Young Sweet Thang teacher said " Class, get your Frog Stickers out, we have some dissecting to do"

Black dude at the lab next to the one me and my partner used...was using a switchblade.
I am using a Case Barehead Slimline Trapper.
Sweet Melissa, my lab partner was using her Hen & Rooster...

One gal brought a frog gig to school. When asked if it was for 10th grade Speech class she replied- "No dude, we doing frogs in Bio and I wanna make sure that sucker is dead".

Wendy ended doing an impromptu speech with the gig. Still it was funny seeing her enter Bio lab with that gig with Janis Joplin doing "Me & Bobby McGee" cranked up.

See? We had knives in skool, and my generation turned out awl right.

*grin*

TimboKhan
March 7, 2009, 05:45 PM
We actually got hollered at by our metal shop teacher for not having knives on us one day. I graudated in 1990, and we weren't supposed to have them, but my school was also a country school. The expectations and the realities often didn't match up.

DDeegs
March 7, 2009, 06:43 PM
Carried a stockman, I think it was a ka-bar peeled oranges w/ it at lunck

usmc1371
March 7, 2009, 07:08 PM
I carried a small lock blade from about third grade on. In high school I started packing a gerber E-Z out and I thought it was the best knife ever... then I got a spyderco endura my senior year and it was love at first sight. I also had a leatherman that I used in shop all the time but every once and a while some teacher would tell me I wasn't soposed to have it in school so I would have to keep it in my bag instead of on my belt where it belonged. graduated in 1996. the only time I have been without a good knife since then was 13 weeks of basic training.

meef
March 7, 2009, 07:40 PM
knives

:cool:

jbkebert
March 7, 2009, 07:56 PM
Carried a small Case knife since 4th or 5th grade. Also small town school average graduating class of 48-51 students.

Big Daddy Grim
March 7, 2009, 08:05 PM
To this day have always had one on me. I started at 6 and it was a gift from my grandpa still have the oldtimer he gave me.

AKElroy
March 7, 2009, 08:10 PM
I graduated in 1984, which was not exactly the dark ages. I carried a 4" buck lockblade on my belt from 9th - graduation & never had a question asked. During dove season, it was nothing to see a dozen P/U's in the parking lot with shotguns in the gun rack. When my grandfather was in school, he carried a stevens crack shot .22 so he could bag dinner for the pot on the way home. Set it in the corner with the other kid's guns---That gun is now in my safe, and has certainly seen its last classroom.

hso
March 7, 2009, 08:34 PM
Sure.

Heck, some kids still do.

kingpin008
March 7, 2009, 08:43 PM
Yup. I carry a Kershaw Cyclone in the Left-Hand pocket of my chef pants every day I'm at school.

indoorsoccerfrea
March 7, 2009, 08:52 PM
i always have a folder on me in college, usually my 3.5" one. the 6" fixed blade stays in my room, simply because I don't have a proper wat to carry it...

Voodoochile
March 7, 2009, 08:54 PM
I had an old Boy Scout knife in my pocket through out middle & High school, never really used it much till after school but on a few occasions it come in handy cutting the twine off of the stack of news papers that I delivered during middle school days.

I can also remember having my & my buds shot guns in the gun rack of my pick up while were in school wishing 3:00 would come so we can try for a Deer or Turkey during season, now a days if the truck was across the street the kids would still get arrested. :(

351 WINCHESTER
March 7, 2009, 09:33 PM
I started carrying an old German made pocket knife when I was in the 3rd. grade. I used to sharpen my pencils and carried it until I graduated hs in 69. I wouldn't recommend doing this in today's society.

DRYHUMOR
March 7, 2009, 09:43 PM
Why heck yeah, how else are ya going to play Mumbly Peg, or whittle at recess?

Amazingly, I can't remember any one getting cut or stabbed- on purpose.

And SHHHHHSH, don't tell anyone, but if we were going hunting after school, we had guns in the car. :what:

azhunter122
March 7, 2009, 09:55 PM
My brother does, he uses one of my old one's just a folder knife. I don't think that they want him having one at school but I think he's fine with one, he's extremely responsible.

vicdotcom
March 7, 2009, 10:04 PM
I used to carry one in school. But I am a teacher now in FL and there is a zero tollerance policy. I have to leave my home everyday. I do have a multitool in the car though.

Sad days.

TimboKhan
March 8, 2009, 04:33 AM
I know for a fact that there is a high school kid in this forum that carries a knife with him at least occasionally in school. You would never know he was a high school kid reading his posts though..

KevinAbbeyTech
March 8, 2009, 02:52 PM
And SHHHHHSH, don't tell anyone, but if we were going hunting after school, we had guns in the car.

Heck, they used to let out for hunting season.

therealdoublel
March 8, 2009, 03:01 PM
carry a little folder clipped onto my pocket every day. haven't had any administration say anything, one teacher asked me what it was, i replied 'a knife'

LoneCoon
March 8, 2009, 04:31 PM
I always carried a multi tool or a pocket knife in school (Class of 2000). Although I did go to a smaller more "rural" school, rather than a larger inner city one.

I wouldn't want to try that now, as everyone would up and lose their minds. Sad how much things changed in less than a decade.

lesterg3
March 8, 2009, 04:45 PM
Carried a 4 inch frog sticker from the 6th grade on. Wish I still had that knife, lost it in the Philippines.

Todd A
March 8, 2009, 07:48 PM
And SHHHHHSH, don't tell anyone, but if we were going hunting after school, we had guns in the car.

Heck in high school I stored mine in my gym locker. One Friday I had my .22 wrapped up in my jacket with the barrel sticking out.Walked by our school resource officer (local PD sargent) when he saw it he just asked if we were going out camping again that weekend.:)

I guess 1987 was a very long time ago, that was the first year our school had a resource officer.

Fast forward to 2007......My son at six years old was sent to the office because he would not hand over :evil: a bladeless multi-tool to his teacher. If he turned it over he would have been allowed to return to class. Since he is a mini-me he refused.:D

The principal and I had a chat. Her point was that the philips head screwdriver was pointy and a "weapon".

My point was that my son bought it with his own money, that it was packaged with a book on how to repair your bike. And that my son bought the book(with the weapon) in the school library at the Scholastic Book Fair. :banghead:

When I asked her why the school sold my son a dangerous weapon she had no response.:D:banghead:

The Lone Haranguer
March 8, 2009, 08:10 PM
In my high school (mid 1970s) there was a sort of clique of guys who wore T-shirts, Levi's big bells and engineer boots and carried Buck 110s (folded and in the sheath). They would spend hours flicking the blades out until the pivot polished and loosened up, to the point where a good wrist flick was almost as fast as a switchblade. There were never any actual incidents that I knew of. This would never fly today. :uhoh:

I was not one of them - I was a nerd. :D

KevininPa
March 8, 2009, 08:37 PM
guess it doesn't work out as well in these " politically correct " days. Remember all you twenty somethings, it's up to you to change things. FREAKIN' VOTE !

Dimis
March 9, 2009, 06:32 PM
secretly yes i carried many throughout my school days but i couldnt be caught with them or id be violating the weapons code but i wouldnt dare go without my swiss army knife of some sort or brand even if it was against the rules

"Never leave home without a knife" -Special Agent Gibbs Rule #9 NCIS
lol

BullpupBen
March 9, 2009, 07:13 PM
Well I know its not the same thing, but here at COLLEGE I have my Lone Wolf T1 clipped onto my pocket most every day through classes and everything else. Of course doing the same thing when I was in high school would probably have gotten me expelled very quickly..

Reading about the years when you could carry your shotgun in your car to go hunting after school and all of these other stories really makes me wish I was born about 40-50 years earlier, back before this ridiculous obsession with "political correctness" penetrated every inch of society.

bensdad
March 9, 2009, 07:29 PM
Carried a very small Imperial when I was little (elementary school). Went from that to a big Imperial (3.5in. blade with a fish-scaler) in jr. high and high school. My 6yo son now has the small Imperial I had (I kept it for him). He knows to never take it to school. I'll give him the large Imperial when the time is right. After that, he's on his own. He can't have my "big-boy" knives.

pictoblu
March 9, 2009, 07:48 PM
Having been in elementary school in the 1960's, yes. When I got into Scouting, always carried a Scout knife. Always, and then always into high school and beyond. Seldom fly and so just about always have 2-4 knives on me these days.

scottishclaymore
March 9, 2009, 11:41 PM
I am younger than most of you guys, but I am a very happy graduate of home education. Thus, you see, the last time I can recall not having a knife since I was given my first on my ninth birthday was the last time I had to fly. Other than that... Never left the house without at least one folder and/or a multitool.

pmeisel
March 9, 2009, 11:52 PM
USN survival knife given to me by my uncle Chief Ernest Bollinger. Carried daily for over 10 years, then occasionally for 20 more until it flat wore out. Survived by many siblings.

MartyH
March 10, 2009, 01:23 AM
I'm currently in a junior in high school and every once in awhile I'll carry a knife to school. However when I do I make sure it's something small and harmless looking. I know last year in the student handbook for my school knives with blades under two inches long where allowed. I'm not sure if the rule still applies though.

Davek1977
March 10, 2009, 03:11 AM
I ALWAYS had a knife in my pocket. I grew up on a ranch, and carrying a knife was (and is) second nature to me. Is wasn't exactly kosher with school policy (graduated 1996) but teachers were more than happy to look the other way...until they needed a knife and asked to borrow one from a student LOL. In all honesty though, knives were so commonplace they never raised an eyebrow. Heck, I wasn't the only kid who drove to school (21 miles for me, one way) and kept a firearm or 3 in the vehicle. I drove by/through much of our ranch on the way to and from school, and it only made sense to travel armed so that I could hunt on my way home without driving all the way home and then backtracking. It wasn't uncommon to see shotguns and rifles in gun racks in the school parking lot...again, not in line with offical policy, but always tolerated. I often had a revolver in the glove box, loaded, as well, as I had my CCW most of my senior year (eligible at 18 in SD). All in all, it was a different world 13 years ago, and because no one ever misused any of the equiupment in question (knives and guns) no one ever made an issue out of it.

red_metallic
March 10, 2009, 10:09 AM
Yep, a 2-blade Case that I still have somewhere.

PRM
March 10, 2009, 10:29 AM
Rural South - Yep!!! Just about everybody had a pocket knife and no-one thought anything about it (Late 60s early 70s). If it was squirrel or rabbit season and you were lucky enough to have a pick-up truck or car, there was a good chance it contained a shotgun or .22 rifle (on school property).

red_metallic
March 10, 2009, 10:50 AM
PRM, to that point I was raised in the San Joaquin valley in CA. I can recall walking to a friend's house once with my loaded .22 where we both proceeded to walk another mile or so out into the fields to shoot. Along the way we did get stopped by a sheriff deputy who told us to be careful and aim away from the roads! This would have been the early 70's. Now you'd see this and helicopters -

http://www.tacticalelement.com/tactical_medicine/SOCM-02-02_018a.jpg

bill in IN
March 10, 2009, 10:59 AM
Being a farm kid, you could probably be expelled for not having one. The teachers all knew who had the sharpest one, so I don't think they cared as long as you let them borrow it. In high school, guns were allowed in the shop classes, make a stock, do a little gun-smithing, or history classes. That was before they were demonized.

JTW Jr.
March 10, 2009, 12:17 PM
My point was that my son bought it with his own money, that it was packaged with a book on how to repair your bike. And that my son bought the book(with the weapon) in the school library at the Scholastic Book Fair.

When I asked her why the school sold my son a dangerous weapon she had no response.

Now that is some funny stuff right there. Our school system at it's best ! Good on your mini-you ( son ) for taking a stand.
Please give him a high five from me.

metallic
March 10, 2009, 12:48 PM
Carried a little miniature swiss army knife all through middle school and high school. Around my senior year, they started cracking down on blade length so I kept my knife out of sight just to be safe. I graduated in 2001.

During college, it was very common to see men carrying pocket folders around campus. Pretty smart, considering that the edges of campus were hotbeds for crime. Plenty of students robbed.

Geneseo1911
March 10, 2009, 01:18 PM
I have carried a 2.5-3" folder (I've worn a couple out..) with a pocket clip every day since 7th grade. I graduated HS in 2001. I also carried it for four years (oops actually five:D)while at the University of Illinois. I'm still employed here, and it's by my side as I type this. I think most of the country hasn't gone completely crazy yet.

I use my knife every day, my jeans are worn out (so is the knife...) where the pocket clip slides on, and I feel naked without it. The knife guys on here would chew me out if they saw the shape it's in.

One of my favorite knife stories is when the ag teacher in HS was working on the fish tank (we raised Tilapia for our FFA fish fry fundraiser) and asked for a knife. When he turned around he had a choice of about 20:rolleyes:. He said, "you guys know you're not supposed to carry those, right?" and then grabbed the closest one.

Of course, we also had our shotguns in our trunks more often than not. We would often shoot clays or go hunting after school. I was however a little worried when the county's drug dogs came through to sniff lockers and cars. They must not have been trained to sniff out guns. They did find a baloney sandwich in a guy's center console, though.

Thingster
March 10, 2009, 11:28 PM
I carried one every day from 7th grade on; I graduated in 2004.

Supposedly we had a "zero tolerance policy" and all that mumbo jumbo, but all of the teachers and administrators knew I carried one to the point that I'd often have teachers ask for a knife during class since they weren't allowed to be in possession of one.

This was in a suburban, snobbish school district outside of St. Louis- classes graduating about 350students. I guess no one ever complained, but I know of plenty of people that got in it deep for having nail files and little pen knives on them.

Hooray for double standards, i guess.

CZ.22
March 11, 2009, 01:42 PM
Hmm. As a current high school student, I have some insight to this.
I attend a small, Christian school in suburban Durham. While there are some gang and violence problems elsewhere in the city, the area in which the school is located is in semi-rural country, next to two yuppie neighborhoods- so crime isn't much of an issue. We're by no means inner-city. We have a nature trail on school campus, for Pete's sake.
I do not carry a knife. Why? A real one would be useful, but I'm not going to risk it. During December, we went Christmas caroling. Saturday evening, very cold. I had been wearing my Kershaw Sapphire all day long- and I lost it in some bushes. My reaction was "Dad-nabbit" but it never occurred to me that it would get me in trouble.
Luckily, or not, it was found by the wife of the director of school. He wouldn't give it back. Apparently, there was a caveat saying that I could not have a knife at a school-sponsored event. Never mind that the caroling had taken place almost totally off campus, or that I had used the knife to help out the voice coach a couple of times, or that the knife was a small, blue, gentleman's folder. He asked me, with a tone in his voice that suggested a "why did you have the gall", why I carried "that" type of knife. I responded that it fit me well, cut well, looked good, that I could open it with gloves on, and that I like variety.
It eventually took a conference with my mom to get the knife back. She's always insisted that I not carry a knife to school. I have a history of being the gun nut, and she's always thought I would have less chance of successfully getting off than someone else caught with a knife. Still, we finally managed to get my knife back, but it was way too much hassle. It was also a primary offense.
I carry a Wenger Air Traveler on my keyring. I'll let any teacher see it- it has a nail file, an eyeglass screwdriver, and a pair of scissors. If anyone points out that the nail file is pointy, than I'll pull out a pen and touch the point. You can do much more damage with a pen.

MDG1976
March 11, 2009, 02:19 PM
me and all my buddies used to carry and trade pocket knives in elementary school. that was 20+ years ago in a rural district. try that now and they'd call in the SWAT team

eldiabloe1
March 11, 2009, 02:35 PM
I graduated in '93 and we weren't supposed to carry but they didn't really care as long as it stayed out of site. Our art teacher made custom knives and would take ours home with him for sharpening. We also brought large knives to class and made leather sheaths. I even made a shoulder rig for a Western Coleman boot knife in class. Local PD took it away when he was illegally searching through my tool box. If you live in Belton Texas please say hi to officer Murphy for me.

Smith
March 12, 2009, 03:15 AM
As a current High School student, I do not carry a pocketknife at school. While I carry one literally everywhere else (with the obvious exceptions of airports, court houses, etc.), it is not worth the risk to carry one at school. Besides the fact that my school is extremely strict with "weapons" offenses, it is a felony in California to possess a fixed blade knife of any length or a folding knife greater than two inches in length on a school campus, either private or public (California penal code 653(k) I think). Because of this I am limited to a Utili-Key and a tiny Victorinox which are kept in easily accessible locations in my backpack. While it bothers me that I cannot carry a full sized pocket knife, the Utili-Key and Victorinox are nearly always sufficient for the rare, small cutting jobs that I encounter while on campus.

j-easy
March 12, 2009, 03:52 AM
no, i went to a public high school and a kid in 10th grade had been stabbed to death when i was a junior. if i had ever been caught with a knife at school I would have been expelled. I knew a kid that was expelled for having an airsoft gun locked in his car parked in the parking lot a month before graduation.

CZ.22
March 13, 2009, 02:33 PM
no, i went to a public high school and a kid in 10th grade had been stabbed to death when i was a junior. if i had ever been caught with a knife at school I would have been expelled. I knew a kid that was expelled for having an airsoft gun locked in his car parked in the parking lot a month before graduation.
Same here- I know a kid who got 365 suspension and was arrested, literally, taken in handcuffs from school, because he had a paintball gun and a knife in his car. His light were on, so a cop asked him about it. They saw the "gun" and saw that it was lying in a "threatening/ easily accessible for assault position." The knife was a KaBar in a kydex sheath, but this is rural NC- I'm willing to bet you would find a knife in about every car in the parking lot.
If it weren't for my friends and a few select teachers, I would homeschool. The state of fear of what society had branded as "deadly" has gone too far, and as long as enough people are afraid, we a re powerless to stop it.

lesterg3
March 13, 2009, 03:14 PM
The people who are afraid of everything and need the government to take care of them, vastly outnumber those of us that are not afraid to breath!!!:D

Howser87
March 13, 2009, 11:48 PM
I graduated class of '06, and because I was on a first name basis with the disciplinarian he didn't care if I carried my folder at school.

I knew a few other ppl that got away with it (yes got away is the proper term now). We knew not to show them off, or use them if we didn't have to. The reason we were allowed was mostly because of jobs or scouts. One of the teachers asked to borrow my knife in class mid senior year, just about every jaw in the room hit the floor. (He was my wrestling coach and knew I had it on me because he saw me stow it everyday before practice)

federalfarmer
March 14, 2009, 01:35 AM
Small school, over 15 years ago, no knives no exceptions.
I carried everyday since 2nd grade, Christmas was a 3 blade folder from the grain elevator in my uncles town. So in 9th grade the principle walks into study hall and asks to borrow my knife to open box's. What knife? your knife that you've had since second grade, hand it over! I guess the rule was no knives out of your pocket.....until the principal needs to borrow it!
I need a new knife now.

theken206
March 14, 2009, 01:39 AM
Yes, since the 6th grade untill I was out of school.

A small very nice gerber as well as a swiss army on an off in the 6th grade.

A expensive auto in the 7th.

An assortment of diffrent folders and small fixed blades during 8th grade and HS.

cleardiddion
March 17, 2009, 05:17 AM
Been carrying a combination of knives, mostly little cheap ones I got from my Dad, and more recently swiss/kershaw/gerbers since the 8th grade.

Graduated from HS in 2007

LightningCrash
March 17, 2009, 07:45 AM
I carried my Victorinox Swiss Champ with me in high school, but then again I went to a high school in BFE.

kBob
March 17, 2009, 12:17 PM
You had to have a knife when I was in grade school to fend of the dinosaurs!

Son recently started Cub Scouts and while buying uniform gear ("Made in China" what's the US and BSA coming to) came across the knife snap on a metal belt loop. When I mentioned to the clerk I was supprised to see those still sold she asked "Why wouldn't they sell a compass clip?"

On scout meeting days in elementary school we wore our scout knives on those belt clips in the open as we wore our uniforms to school. It was part of the uniform.

There was a no knives rule by 1968 or so, but it was largely ignored. Several teachers asked to borrow mine and I usually asked where theirs was.

SOme guys would stick a piece of match stick in their folder near the tip so the tip protruded a little high from the grip. They would snag the tips on the edge of their pocket to flip the knife open as it was drawn. Nothing like having to explain to Mom how the edge of your trouser pocket at the seem has been neatly sliced through. Hawk bill Barlows were also popular as they could be easily pinched open for one handed use.

I used to pinch open common pocket knives all the time, not for speed or cool ness but because the other hand might well be busy with a bale of cheese cloth, a fish, what ever the string about to be cut was attached too or other work related chore.

My clip on has gone work about again (darned seat belts in the truck, the knife is in the truck somewhere) and I pinched open a pocket knife yeasterday while dragging a bail of hay over to where I wanted to open it.

When I went to basic training at Ft. Knox and we got the contraband speech and were told to face the walls and tables and empty our pockets on to the tables, I held my pocket knife straight up looked at the two nearest NCOs and then repocketd the Demo kit knife I used for a paocket knife at that time. Nothing was said and I carried it through basic training. It was stolen in Infantry AIT one morning as we prepared for our little three day two night camping trip. Dissapered right off my foot locker while I was sitting on the other end of the thing and no one saw anything. About nine hours later I was clearing a bit of ground to pitch my half of a tent and found a little tree brand folder with 1 3/4 inch or so main blade and a little 1 inch pen blade.

THat nine hours may have been the longest time from 1961 untill 9-11 that I went without a pocket knife

-Bob Hollingsworth

DeepSouth
March 17, 2009, 12:34 PM
Where I went to school almost every guy had a pocket knife of some sort, we weren't supposed to but it was a very bendable rule. The teachers would frequently ask for one when they needed it for something.

I got that beat though, from Thanksgiving to Jan 31st (hunting season) at least half the trucks in the student parking lot had a rifle or two hanging in the rear window, it was not uncommon for a kid to carry a shotty in his rear window year round, alouth I never did. My niece now goes to this same school and I can tell you things things have changed a LOT since I graduated.

Jeff F
March 17, 2009, 11:32 PM
I did. And during bird hunting season a bunch of us had shotguns in our cars and trucks.

Litlman
March 19, 2009, 09:18 PM
I have been carrying some type of pocket knife since the 8th grade. That was a long time ago.

squinty
March 19, 2009, 09:37 PM
I went to high school from 1883-1987. Always had a little swiss army knife in my pocket. The more common pocket knife, carried by the clique called "rednecks" at my school, was a wooden handled, brass bolstered lockback knife. These were sometimes worn openly on a belt sheath with snap down cover. In 1983 noone seemed to care. We also smoked on campus, in designated areas outside. By 1987 things were a little different, smoking had been banned and pocket knives and other weapons were subject to confiscation, though no suspension or other disciplinary action would necessarily follow, it was usually a "You'll get it back at the end of the term" sort of thing. I recently attended a community college paramedic program. Interesting how there was a campus wide weapons ban, that included folding knives, which was completely ignored in the public safety (police, EMS, firefighter training) buildings, as every aspiring firefighter, cop or medic carried a gerber tool or a "tactical" folding knife clipped into a pocket. The same knife that drew no notice at all in the public safety building nearly got me kicked out of a nursing class, all of 100 yards away.

publiuss
March 19, 2009, 09:50 PM
Absolutely, I graduated from a private school in MS in 1990. Always had a gun in my (yellow Volvo station wagon:barf:) too. Somebody got a new gun, we went to look at it during break or lunch. even had a friend give an instructional speech on his AR-7 in speech class.

pmeisel
March 19, 2009, 11:58 PM
I went to high school from 1883-1987.

Really... and I thought I was a little slow :-)

gallows
March 21, 2009, 11:47 PM
I just got kicked out of school for carrying a knife. they sent the police and all that crap to. It sucked and they didn't give it back to me. The pinkos go nuts if you have a knife in school now.

JohnnyOrygun
March 22, 2009, 03:10 AM
I always carried a pocket knife when I was in school, from about 10 on. Never took it out, but I always had it with me. I was/still am responsible and didn't/don't get in trouble. But today if my son took a knife to school, they would call out the SWAT team and maybe even the National Guard, ok just kidding, but it's almost that bad.

JohnnyOrygun

Enginetech88
March 22, 2009, 08:20 PM
I graduated in 2006. It was in the rule book to not have a knife in school. I normally always had one for shop in the afternoon though, then ready for home on the farm after school. Never got in trouble and everytime a teacher needed to cut something and I provided the proper tool nothing was said. Josh

Nikdfish
March 22, 2009, 09:32 PM
Probably every day from 2nd or 3rd grade ('62/'63) straight on through to the day I finished a masters degree ...

I can remember a few occasions when a lady teacher would ask to borrow a knife from someone in the class to open a box, cut string, etc.

Two "candid activity" poses in my senior year portraits set included a Remingtion 870 and a Ruger Single Six! (My mother still has one hanging on the wall)

Nick

kva47
March 27, 2009, 01:23 AM
I'm currently in high school, and I never leave home without something sharp, normally a gerber paraframe. I know for a fact that I'd be expelled instantly if caught (even though the school's rural), but I keep it hidden... it's not that I expect to need a knife in school, it's that I'll probably need it after school

ThrottleJockey
March 27, 2009, 02:34 AM
Everyone in my school carried a knife. Funny story, one day on the playground, a fight broke out. No, the knives didn't come out, as we all knew better, but one kid went to the hospital with a pencil stuck in his chest!

cliffy
March 27, 2009, 03:13 AM
How can anyone learn about physics and mathematics with a blade being wielded about in the hallways? Don't we already have enough dunce children attending schools? The ones who want to lead our nation, should not be inhibited by crudeness off the streets who only inhabit schoolrooms because they're force to attend. So many children are in schools because of age, not because they desire to learn anything. Reading is paramount to learning, yet schools follow an agenda toward our future shagrin. Until a child enjoys reading, what else remains toward education? Teach a child to read, or lose him or her forever. Many communities offer reading through programs, but finding suitable teachers and/or willing subjects remains hit-and-miss. I am a willing teacher, yet promising students seem rare beyond college level. I'm always looking for brilliant minds to teach. I've found a few winners, but also many losers. cliffy

ThrottleJockey
March 27, 2009, 04:22 AM
I'm with you about the state of our schools CLIFFY, but what does any of that have to do with having a pocket knife? It is a parents responsibility to teach children how to handle keeping it in their pocket where it belongs. It is the schools that have removed the parent from the process. Now instead of doing the job the parents once had, they just ban the pocket tool/knife. Nothing about carrying a knife involves self defense other than the sense of security one may possess by knowing it is there. And nothing about having a knife in your pocket or not will change ones desire to learn.

turkeythigh
March 27, 2009, 05:16 AM
i grew up and went to school in a small rural town in Oregon, and at my school there were rules in place in term os students carrying knives, but most teachers chose to overlook a student with a knife if he or she was responsible and not flashing it arround or threatening people with it.

i guess it does depend alot on the demographic the school caters to. if you are in an inner city school with violence or gang problems no, students should not be allowed to carry. but if the students are responsible and understand that these tools can be dangerous and handle them accordingly then why the hell not allow them? i have had teachers ask me to borrow my knifes to open boxes cut rope or what have you.

btw i carried a CRKT M-16 zytel with a partially serrated tanto blade. it was a modest easy to conceal, keep out of the way and not make people nervous knife.

srm970
March 27, 2009, 02:56 PM
farming town in rual MN. most guys had some kind of pocket knife on them . and durring bird hunting season.. alot of those guys had shotguns in the trunk of the car or behind the seat of the pickup... not once when growing up in that town was there ever a stabing or a shooting at the school.. if it did get to a fight.. it was settled with bare hands.. or a teacher breaking it up.. hell half the time no one even ended up in the office.

shawn

Funderb
March 27, 2009, 02:58 PM
I carried a folder every day in high school. just a lock blade.
no one cared, and the ones that did did what they may, and then the ones that didn't sent me back to class.

Capital Punishment
March 27, 2009, 06:39 PM
yea, i went to a small school... no problems.

gallowglas
March 27, 2009, 11:15 PM
I teach HS in a small school.

I must enforce policy. Consider what could happen to me personally if I knew a student carried a knife and then hurt somebody. (I'd be sued, me, not the school). Though if a student tells a teacher "I have my knife can you lock it up for me until after school." that has been done in the school.
I carry in my bag a multitool for repairing lab equipment, and in projects they use hobby knifes. I count them at the end of the class.

ThrottleJockey
March 27, 2009, 11:32 PM
Sounds a lot like jail. Counting the razors and pencils.....Like in my earlier post, what if a student has a knife and stabs someone with a pencil?

GotCoffee
March 28, 2009, 12:40 AM
Carried pocket knife from 6th grade all the way through high school. (graduated 1980) As others here have stated also carried usually a 22-250 in vehicle for the ocassional coyote going to and from school (24 miles one way) Didnt even have to lock the vehicle during school with rifle in plain sight. Those days are definately gone! So sad.

pmeisel
April 1, 2009, 12:14 AM
I teach HS in a small school.

Take Caesar's coin, follow his rules. That's the way it is...

Doesn't keep us old farts from hating the rules and those who make them.

Ditchtiger
April 1, 2009, 12:37 AM
I don't remember when I started to carry a knife. But had one always until I graduated in "79". Did farm work and was a mechanic. Just another tool to use.

oklahoma caveman
April 1, 2009, 07:44 PM
i graduated in 2005. in my school handbook it allowed us to carry knives with a blade up to 4 inches.man how my school has changed in just the last few years. most of us had guns in the truck, as it was a tiny school, and the only time anybody actually got caught with their gun they were just told to take it home. iv had a knife on me every day since i was a little kid and i feel naked without 1.but like all of you, my knife is a piece of commonly used equipment, and is needed.

shooter10
April 1, 2009, 11:23 PM
I graduated high school in 1951, also from a small school. One of my proudest possessions was a pair of lace up high top boots, with a small knife pocket sewed outside the shaft. As I remember, a small Imperial, more than likely 2 to 2 1/2 inch single blade folder enclosed , and I did wear those boots until I outgrew them. No one thought anything of knives at school, and I don't remember many times I did not have some sort of pocket knife on me, until I joined the Army, and lost my knife at the introduction center. I did not have a vehicle during school years, but others that did usually had some sort of sporting firearm, and no problems.
Only incident I remember was one of the older kids who had been passed over for grade promotion several years in my 5 th grade was caught with a small semi auto pistol, loaded in class. He did lose the pistol, but was back in class after three days suspension.

BlisteringSilence
April 2, 2009, 03:41 AM
I graduated in 2001, and carried a knife every day from second grade (when I got my whittlin' chip in Cub Scouts) on. Until high school, I carried the same boy scout folder (it now lives in a shadowbox at my parent's house with the rest of my scout regalia and keepsakes), and when I was in 9th grade, it was replaced with a little boker folder with a damascus blade that was a gift from my grandfather. That knife has lived in my dresser for the last 6 or 7 years, since I replaced it with an axis lock benchmade.

Small private school in a medium sized town. Most of us had knives of some sort or another. It's just a tool.

Actually, one of my best friends in high school came to our school after he was expelled from his public high school after he borrowed his dad's pickup, forgetting that there was a shotgun in the gun rack in the back.

Stupid zero tolerance. It was quite the coup for us though, as he ended up being a 2x state champion medium distance runner.

CWL
April 2, 2009, 02:34 PM
I don't recall schools having rules against carrying pocketknives. What kept me from regular carry was that I was always losing them on the playground.

gun addict
April 2, 2009, 03:28 PM
Now hear this

last year i was suspended from school for 10 days, kicked off my Student Body treasurer position, and all for having a small scout knife at a Cross Country race in the middle of nowhere on a saturday morning.

Ruined everything i worked for during highschool basically, i never even had a detention before..........

KevinAbbeyTech
April 3, 2009, 05:55 AM
gun addict, I'm sorry that happened to you.
Was this on school property?

Deer Hunter
April 3, 2009, 08:54 AM
I carried a knife throughout high school. A buck 110 actually.

And I carry my Kershaw Blur to college classes every day.

It's a piece of metal. Whoopididy freakin' do. Let's leave the emotional stuff behind.

gun addict
April 3, 2009, 12:03 PM
actually it wasn't, the race was in the middle of nowhere as it is a cross country event and i had the knife in my bag which i used to dig mud chunks out of the shoes and on that day......helped a friend out by cutting up a pineapple.

Apprantly someone decided it would be a good idea to report this to the school the following week (the race was on a saturday)

Still ticks me off whenever i think about it, i worked 4 years to be the model student and all the sudden they suspend me for having a knife on a SATURDAY morning? sigh........

oklahoma caveman
April 3, 2009, 12:21 PM
actually it wasn't, the race was in the middle of nowhere as it is a cross country event and i had the knife in my bad which i used to dig muds out of the shoes and on that day......helped a friend by cutting up a pineapple.

Apprantly someone decided it would be a good idea to report this to the school the following week (the race was on a saturday)

Still ticks me off whenever i think about it, i worked 4 years to be the model student and all the sudden they suspend me for having a knife on a SATURDAY morning? sigh........

from my experience, if it is a school related function then the school rules still apply:banghead: that is one of the great things about smaller schools, nobody cares, but i am sorry to hear of the level of stupidity in your community and that that has happened to you

XCastleX
April 3, 2009, 01:42 PM
ive gota a story about knives in school. let me give a tiny bit of background before i tell it though.

i am an Eagle Scout. i have a jeep. i love rock climbing, camping, fishing hunting and all that stuff. throughout school entirely (k-12) i had NEVER gotten (never gotten busted) into any trouble with the school or any school i had attended untill this day.

first 1/4 of my senior year (graduated a semester early in 2007) i have 2 periods off in my schedual. during those 2 periods i leave MY highschool to go play drums for another schools jazz band (i played drums all through middle and highschool, did 4 years of drumline etc). i had been filling in for this jazz band for a while and never had any problems.

one day im in rehersal and in through the band room doors come a cop, and 2 campus supervisors. they ask for me (how they knew i was there is beyond me, i had an arrangement with the band instructor only, no one else knew about me playing there.) i step into the hall with them to see whats going on and they ask me to show them my jeep. i say no problem and i take them to my jeep. they ask my permission to search the vehicle and i ask "is this about my knife?" (on the walk to my jeep i realized i had left a pocket knife in my cup holder) and they say "yes, we were checking parking permits and saw your knife, a pair of handcuffs and a do-rag" (the supposed do-rag was actually just a bandana) i kinda laugh a bit and open the jeep up for them.

they search my jeep and find 5 or 6 more knives. these knives were in things like the first-aid kit they found, the tackle box i had in there, my emergency road side kit and one in the glove box.

along with the emergency kit, tackle box, and forst-aid kit, they also find a sleeping bag.

*so far we have: Eagle Scout, Kinves, 1st aid, tackle, Emerg kit, sleeping bag*

another patrol cop, a police SGT and three more campus supervisors later, im sitting in the principals office waiting for my mom to get down to this school that im not attending. upon learning that i was an eagle scout, the cops congratulated me, told me what an accomplishment it was and wanted to just turn the knives over to my mom and let me go. BUTTT the school district and there "Zero Tolerance" policy wouldnt have that.

15 days of suspension and an expulsion hearing later, the school board lets me go back to school. i was barely able to pull my grades up from missing three weeks of school and barely passed that 1/4.

my friends and i all carried pocket knives. its just part of how our fathers raised us. tradition more than anything.

so... there's my story. lol

Smith
April 3, 2009, 03:21 PM
last year i was suspended from school for 10 days, kicked off my Student Body treasurer position, and all for having a small scout knife at a Cross Country race in the middle of nowhere on a saturday morning.

Ruined everything i worked for during highschool basically, i never even had a detention before..........

Wow, that's horrible. I'm sorry that happened to you.

they ask my permission to search the vehicle
i kinda laugh a bit and open the jeep up for them.

they search my jeep and find 5 or 6 more knives. these knives were in things like the first-aid kit they found, the tackle box i had in there, my emergency road side kit and one in the glove box.

I'm no legal scholar, but consenting to a search generally will not help you in any way; it will typically only make things worse for you. Any legal experts out there please correct me if I am mistaken.

Deer Hunter
April 3, 2009, 03:57 PM
Smith, you make the faulty assumption that high school students have the same rights as normal human beings.

In my school, if you told them "no, I do not consent to a search," You are still majorly screwed. The school pretty much did all in its power, even threatening to withold diplomas, if you did not comply.

Nikdfish
April 3, 2009, 04:48 PM
zero tolerence = zero intelligent thought

ZXD9
April 3, 2009, 05:41 PM
I was in grade school in the 70's. Many boys carried pocket knives and we showed them off on the playground. No one ever got stabbed either. As I recall I brought a 12ga to school for Pioneer Days once too.

XCastleX
April 3, 2009, 06:15 PM
deer hunter nailed it. if you dont cooperate then your screwed.

at all of the schools i went to, they said that anything you brought onto school property became the schools property. example: they didnt need consent to search your locker or even your back pack if they wanted to.

KevinAbbeyTech
April 3, 2009, 10:27 PM
I don't think you are screwed if they withhold a diploma, drop out and study for your GED, it's the same thing.

They never see you again, and you don't need them to be successful.

My $0.02.

ThrottleJockey
April 3, 2009, 10:57 PM
I agree, I have my GED and earn more than 2 teachers. Have a VERY nice home, a beautiful family, and happiness.

metallic
April 4, 2009, 01:35 AM

I know it doesn't make things any better, but in the grand scheme of things high school doesn't really matter. Once you're done with college, high school becomes completely irrelevant.

Smith
April 4, 2009, 02:24 AM
Smith, you make the faulty assumption that high school students have the same rights as normal human beings.

In my school, if you told them "no, I do not consent to a search," You are still majorly screwed. The school pretty much did all in its power, even threatening to withold diplomas, if you did not comply.

I didn't really think that through. I suppose that if a student refused a search, the school could choose to expel him anyway for failing to comply with the school's demands.

ScottG1911
April 4, 2009, 04:20 AM
I carried a knife everyday for general purposes. I think i only ever used it at school one time. but all my years I carried it, never thought much of it. I was class of 2008 so I guess i dodged a big bullet. just wasnt a big deal to me.

gallowglas
April 4, 2009, 11:45 AM
Searching students in school can be tricky.

I teach and had to take a law class.

Lockers can be searched anytime, they are school property.
Teachers have more authority to search students than police, as we are "in place of parents." Though generally any teacher with common sense will use the campus police and due process, it prevents lawsuits later. Probable cause is needed to search backpacks. and kids are quick, I've seen contraband slipped from one student to the next and you can't search an entire class. They'll bump into a buddy and slip it to him.

In the eagle scout's case, school authorities already saw the knife, if that is in violation of policy or state law they need not necessarily have permission. Usually though when you get your parking permit you sign blanket permission to let them search the vehicle.

My advice to my children was "never give permission, even if you have nothing to hide. Never argue, "you want to search my backpack, here it is I won't stop you but you do not have my permission." And we will deal with it later.

ssjones
April 4, 2009, 12:21 PM
"My advice to my children was "never give permission, even if you have nothing to hide. Never argue, "you want to search my backpack, here it is I won't stop you but you do not have my permission." And we will deal with it later."

I'm no lawyer but can think of a scenario where this could backfire and make someone look guilty. Say another kid in class doesn't like your kid, they slip some contrband into their backpack unknown to them, than blow the whistle. Your kid doesn't give permission for a search, contraband is found. Does your kid now look like they are guilty and were trying to hide it? Or if permission is given, contraband is found, can they say "why would I give permission if I knew that item was in my backpack?"

Damn, it's got to be tough to be a kid today! I may be way off base here, as we just finished watching Season 4 of "The Wire". Those kids were into some tough situations. I'm glad my kids went to school in rural Western MD....

KevinAbbeyTech
April 4, 2009, 10:30 PM
Sigh, I miss simpler times.

pmeisel
April 4, 2009, 11:39 PM
I had a long conversation about this one day with a school principal, long time friend that I grew up with.

Bottom line, they are forced by rules and circumstances to be bureaucrats, enforcing policies, not using personal judgment.

Which is sad, and why so many good people choose other professions. I once wanted to be a teacher and remember clearly why I abandoned that pursuit -- observation of the actual circumstances.

gun addict
April 6, 2009, 12:05 AM
and sometime i wonders what if i were'nt so honest that day and said "nope, i never had a knife" or "that was my dad's knife i was borrowing", guess honesty dosn't pay all the time now does it? :banghead:

funny though, the teacher that kicked me off hated me. She was fired from the school last year for having sexual relationships with some students on almost the exactly one year after the day i was suspended

needless to say i felt a bit of guilty pleasure :neener:

hso
April 6, 2009, 01:17 AM
Too much drift outside of our scope here in NFW for this one to continue.

Some of us carried knives in school "in the day".

Some carry them today. Some with the acceptance of the school and some without.

For those who don't have the acceptance of the school for carrying a mere tool, there are potential consequences.

If you enjoyed reading about "Pocket Knives in School?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!