recommend me a 9mm handgun for the girl..

PDA

noob_shooter
March 7, 2009, 05:33 AM
Was thinking about a .380, but what the heck... might as well grab a 9mm instead.

under $400. Was thinking about the Taurus PT24/7.

if all fails, probably will just grab a Glock in 9mm for a couple $$$ more.. what y'all think?

If you enjoyed reading about "recommend me a 9mm handgun for the girl.." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
legion3
March 7, 2009, 06:45 AM
if all fails, probably will just grab a Glock in 9mm for a couple $$$ more.. what y'all think?

Instead of this being the fall back plan (if all else fails) this should be the primary plan. Most female officers I have worked with love the Glock 19 and one can be had between $400-500. If you love her nothing says so like a Glock... A Taurus :eek: you will be sleeping on the couch ;)

oldskoolfattieg
March 7, 2009, 06:54 AM
Do you have a gun range close by that lets you rent handguns? if so i would take her there and let her try the different types of guns and see which feels the best in her hand and that she shoots the best. nothing in a gun is worth a damn unless its comfortable for her to shoot and handle

feudalson
March 7, 2009, 06:54 AM
the new taurus line up of guns is quality stuff... i personally dont care for glocks... i would suggest a springfield xd9sc or service... or a ruger p85 somthing with a light trigger pull that is singal action..

loop
March 7, 2009, 06:55 AM
buy some pepper spray instead.

she just wants to "feel" secure.

wnycollector
March 7, 2009, 07:11 AM
The only auto that I can ever get my wife to shoot is my SIG P6. She has small hands and the single stack P6 fits here better. In all honesty, she prefers revolvers much more...she likes the simplicity of them over the higher mag capacity of an auto.

Radagast
March 7, 2009, 07:20 AM
MY ex had small hands and found she couldn't shoot the Glock 17 or 19 well. She eventually chose a Beretta 92fs for herself, in single action she could manage the trigger better than the Glocks. Let your lady shoot a few guns and make up her own mind.
BTW, don't suggest a gun you want for yourself. I really wanted a Beretta for my collection, but after she turned to me with bright eyes and said "Thank you!" while hugging it to her chest I knew I had parted with that gun. So I ended up buying two!
BTW, block back operated .380s tend to have close to the felt recoil of the locking breech 9mms, so unless she has her heart set on one I would stay away from .380s.

Oro
March 7, 2009, 08:08 AM
ever get my wife to shoot is my SIG P6.

Great gun, great value right now. I like them, too.

Also, consider a S&W 3913, thought they may be more expensive. Single stack 9mm's have their place...

You want something she will like and will work? Get her a PPK/S modern model in .380. She will like it, it will work, and you'll enjoy it, too.

chupacabrah
March 7, 2009, 08:38 AM
my wife tried a few guns out when she was trying to decide what she liked. the thought my glock 26 was "okay". the keltec p-11 recoiled too harshly. didn't like my .357. the model 36 was "okay." my full size m&p was just too big for her hand.

she settled on the XD9sc. even without the grip extension, her hand fits on the grip (the g26 grip was just slightly too short). she can hold it well and it is comfortable. and it's a little heavier than my g26 so it absorbs more recoil.

so that's what worked for her

gajewelrylady
March 7, 2009, 10:25 AM
I'm new here, but after trying the Glock 19 and finding it too large to fit my hand comfortably, I purchased an S&W M&P9 full size. I love the fact that I can change the back strap and it shoots great. I did research and the feedback on this gun was excellent.

I shot my husband's .38 Super and it had a little more recoil than I like, plus the grip was just too large for my hand. If I'm in a stressful situation I don't want to have to think about how to adjust my grip in order to fire the gun....

Not to step on anyone's toes :) but speaking from the female perspective I am going to either take a women's shooting class or some private instruction now that I have a gun of my own. My husband knows his way around weapons (military background), but neither of us believes that his trying to teach me is a good idea.

jjohnson
March 7, 2009, 10:36 AM
You didn't tell us if this is supposed to be concealable or what size the lady and her hands are.

If you want to stay under $400, in 9mm this can be pretty easy if it doesn't have to be very small. Are you willing to buy a used model?

TONS of 9mm Law Enforcement pistols have been traded in over the years for .40 caliber models. You can buy all the Glock 9mm versions under $400 at any gun show. Glocks are extremely difficult to wear out, and a $400 limit will get you just about any "used but not abused" Glock 9mm you want. There have also been big numbers of other favorites like SIGs traded in as well, and those too are plentiful at $400 or lower as well. I doubt anyone will tell you that SIGs also wear very well. Nearly all of your LE department trade ins have been maintained by an armorer.

A couple years ago I bought a Glock 17 that was an FBI trade in for $350 - night sights, original case and two mags, even had the original papers in the issue case, didn't even show much holster wear, and the dealer had dozens of 'em at that price.

There are fewer "compact" models available, but LE organizations do have some officers, male and female, that prefer smaller handguns, carried by smaller officers or detectives, so a fairly large number of those, too, are out there as "poice trade-ins."

I can't think of any of the group - Glock, SIG, Springfield, S&W - are poor choices. Law Enforcement in this country has a pretty good reputation for issue weapons being quite solid, dependable, and safe.

Take your lady to a gun show and see what they have. You can even get her a German P1 (alloy framed version of the P38) if you want. If this is more of a "range gun" than a CCW, she might like the lighter recoil of the heavier metal framed SIG or similar. If he has to carry it, the lighter "plastic" types like Glock are hard to beat.

Mike J
March 7, 2009, 10:51 AM
I agree with OldSkool that you should take her to a range with rentals & let her figure out what she likes-what feels best to her. I'd also suggest www.corneredcat.com it is a website about firearms that is done by a woman for a woman-even has an article there on selecting a gun, checking fit, etc. The woman that does that site is a member here.

Davionmaximus
March 7, 2009, 10:54 AM
Get what ever fits YOUR hand...

armoredman
March 7, 2009, 11:05 AM
Take her to a rental range and let her pick it out. I went through MANY firearms for my wife before she found a few that fit her well.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b13/armoredman/JoAccessorize.jpg
CZ-P01 9mm

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b13/armoredman/PICT0449.jpg
CZ 2075 RAMI 9mm

KE4NYV
March 7, 2009, 11:35 AM
the new taurus line up of guns is quality stuff... i personally dont care for glocks... i would suggest a springfield xd9sc or service... or a ruger p85 somthing with a light trigger pull that is singal action..

I am personally an XD guy myself, but my wife lately has been set on getting a Taurus Millenium. I have not had any experience with them, so I am curious about the relialbility and quality myself. If she is going to carry it, I want to make sure it goes bang when it matters the most.

searcher451
March 7, 2009, 12:05 PM
Armoredman is correct. For you to select a handgun for her is as foolish as allowing the blind to lead the blind through the swamp. Go to a range that rents guns, let her shoot as many as she can get her hands on, let her narrow it to two or three, and then let her shoot them all -- even if this happens over a number of days and visits -- until she eventually settles on one. And that, my friend, is the gun that you should get for her.

Anything else is almost certainly madness and doomed to instant failure.

punkndisorderly
March 7, 2009, 12:10 PM
I suggest letting her pick out her own after trying as many as possible herself. If it's a .22 or .45, so be it. No one I know has sucessfully purchased a pistol for a significant other with any success the first time.

Just go along for moral support and let her pick out whatever she likes. The only time I would even think about stepping in is if a) she was going to buy something known to be junk: "Honey, it's your decision, but that Jennings is known to be fairly unreliable" or b) the gun store clerk was blowing serious smoke up her butt "What you really need little lady is this ..22 Beretta, anything else is a mans gun".

IMHO, the most surefire way to turn a SO off of shooting is to pressure them in any way. Your job isn't to turn them into a high speed, low drag, trained killer. It's to always ask them to go shooting with you, keep it as much fun as safely possible, and give advice when asked.

noob_shooter
March 7, 2009, 12:54 PM
wow... thanks a lot guys. I sure will take a look into those guns you guys mentioned and will take her to the range.. :) The range and letting her choose is perhaps the best idea.

She's a small lady about 5'3" @ 100lbs.. :) Probably a sub compact will do her good. It's not for concealing. Just a weapon for her to keep on her side at night whenever I'm not around... I would give her my G27, but that's waaayy too much for her to handle effectively..

Casefull
March 7, 2009, 01:09 PM
I recently helped my daughter pick out a glock 9mm. She has the limp wrist problem with the gun. I am going to try different springs and hotter loads. A 38 revolver probably would have been a better choice. She is not a wimpy chick as she is a firefighter by profession.

rbernie
March 7, 2009, 01:32 PM
My average-sized wife (5'6") likes the Kahrs in the store, but on the range prefers the BHP or the P6.

As a general rule, I prefer that novice shooters get a DA/SA pistol if they have any intention of using it for HD as well as range practice. SA-only or striker fired pistols require more trigger discipline than a new shooter is likely to bring to the table.

Buy her something that will last and work reliably. If she has to spend any significant time at the range fighting the gun due to malfunctions or such, she simply will not want to practice.

broken
March 7, 2009, 01:49 PM
the taurus would be fine,millinium or 24/7 ,the grip is nice my buddy has a new 24/7 359.00 great buy,been reliable,teaching his wife on it.my wife weighs 110 lbs and handles my s/w 5904 for emergencies.ive owned every brand polymer and metal except h/k,and im back to s/w.worked on my grips sanded the fat hump off back and checkering then stippled the back,feels great.ive had 2 5904"s,never a problem,good luck.

mr.trooper
March 7, 2009, 02:10 PM
Get a Glock. Or a sig. or a CZ. Don't get a Taurus.

380s are much lighter and they recoil as much or more than a 9mm.

PPGMD
March 7, 2009, 05:43 PM
As a general rule, I prefer that novice shooters get a DA/SA pistol if they have any intention of using it for HD as well as range practice. SA-only or striker fired pistols require more trigger discipline than a new shooter is likely to bring to the table.

They are also harder to shoot. It's easier to beat into them trigger discipline then it is to teach them a proper trigger pull.

Captain38
March 7, 2009, 06:02 PM
I'd let her try the Ruger SR9! It's DAO striker fired with an exterior safety and a Glock style trigger.

It's not only very slim and points great, but it's accurate as well! About $400 in the gun store nearest you!

rbernie
March 7, 2009, 07:18 PM
They are also harder to shoot. Why? At the range, they're always loading a fresh mag from a slide-locked-back position, so the first shot (and all subsequent shots) are SA.

PPGMD
March 7, 2009, 07:29 PM
Why? At the range, they're always loading a fresh mag from a slide-locked-back position, so the first shot (and all subsequent shots) are SA.

And they never train the double action pull? Or are they like Horatio and always thumb cocking the gun?

I carry, and shoot DA/SA guns, but I have thousands upon thousands of rounds down range, along with many times more in dry fire practice. Yet when I teach a new shooter, I tend to start with the Glock. I'd rather pound gun safety into a persons head then spend time helping them overcome the DA/SA transition, and learning how to pull a 10lb trigger.

If you enjoyed reading about "recommend me a 9mm handgun for the girl.." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!